Hacker Group: "This is the beginning of the end for Sony", promises more hacks soon

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
loc978 said:
Dear hackers: I demand equal rights for Microsoft users. It's a slightly more deserving company anyway.

*goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu*

The right attitude here.

Granted, I don't like their methods at all, but I can't say I'd shed a tear at sony being removed from the corperate landscape, this IS the company that decided to install rootkits into our PCs and the fact that people as a whole seem to have forgiven them without the least bit of ill will seems galling, especially since their only recent stunt that drew ire was USING THE HACKING FIASCO APOLOGY AS A PROMOTION FOR IT'S PRODUCTS. Few people batted an eye at the removal of the second OS option, even though people bought their product with the expectation that it would be available.

Sony is about as close as they come to a concrete unambiguous bad guy, with only Microsoft and a few others being reliably worse.

But you know, here's a novel concept, how about rather then hacking, why don't consumers instead show their dislike by NOT BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS. Granted, there's a microsoft tax on like every computer these days (aka they come pre-installed with windows, and those that don't are macs, and Apple after the "deny spyware exists" issue is at sony level again), but limiting your purchasing whenever possible (using open office instead of microsoft office for example) helps.

Buy second hand if you can, deny the company profits whenever possible. So, they're right about sony, but wrong methods.

Project_Xii said:
magnuslion said:
ITT: lots and lots of angry ps3 owners.

also: It amazes me that console owners will still defend a company that sells you something and then tells you that you cannot modify it or you are no longer allowed to play it. I do not have ps3 nor am I a part of this group or really a supporter of it, but then I am not fond of being told what to do with my own property.
Contrary to what you read in this place, the people who want to open up their consoles and fiddle or install new and pointless OS's on their PS3 are a minority. A very whiny, vocal minority with an over inflated sense personal privledge. Those of us who want to use our PS3's for games, media and online fun (like, you know, it was intended for) couldn't give two shits about these kids or their ownership beliefs. In fact if they vanished from the face of the earth, it'd probably be a better place. We wouldn't have all these wannabe hacker vigilantes for starters.
But it's the principal of the thing. If I bought a ps3 before they pulled the other OS functionality and expected to be able to install another OS, do you really think that I'd be happy when they said "sorry no".

That's like you buying TV with an internal Blue-ray/DVD player and expecting to be able to play both on it, but then the company removes the blue-ray functionality after the fact for whatever reason. Sure, you could argue that's not in the core functionality, and you could replace it with an external device (just like with other OS function), but that's not the point. The point is that the company effectively lied to me, and regardless of the legality, it's a dick move. Especially if you're not gonna offer full refunds.

The idea that asking to use functionality that was promised to the consumer at time of purchase is an over inflated sense of personal privilege is quite frankly, positively ludicrous, and it's very dangerous for consumers to not hold companies accountable for this, even if it doesn't affect their personal usage habits.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Keava said:
Silly and pointless and rather far from the "Manifesto" ideals...
Yes, exactly. That's why legitimate hackers have a different name for people that do these things:

CRACKERS

Seriously people, stop misusing the term.

RoninMKIII

Jan 13, 2011
Ericb said:
Keava said:
Silly and pointless and rather far from the "Manifesto" ideals...
Yes, exactly. That's why legitimate hackers have a different name for people that do these things:

CRACKERS

Seriously people, stop misusing the term.
Then these crackers need to take a step back...and literally fuck their own face.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sooo round two? hoboy...

and people were finally starting to stop talking about it all the first time. great...

YoungPeaches

Nov 15, 2010
Do these guys realize that the entire gaming community hates them? They aren't going to take down the company; they are only going to piss off the consumers. Though I'm not saying Sony wouldn't deserve to be taken down a peg.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It's funny because these losers are going to get ripped apart by Sony and/or the rest of the internet.
And I will shout "FATALITY"

themilo504

May 9, 2010
aaa your not fighting for freedom or rights or anything your yust annoying people.
but whatever yust do us all a favor and dont steal customer data your after sony not us.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
These hackers Crackers (?) are just going a bitWAY too far... Starting to publicly announce their intent? I hope by giving away this kind of information lead to their capture.

On the lighter spectrum though: These events should whip sony into improving their defence and also act as a "signal" that security is very important for any businesses at this day and age. Also, I have to say Sony is taking all the blames for now... Imagine if it turns out other companies also take the hit, as opposed to sony only... Heck they probably took the bullet for some other companies out there.

However, I still kind of feel Sony do need a bit more of an extra whipping, As the Extra Credits Episode shows recently, I do think their "welcome back" program is not good enough... You want to regain the lost trust, not trick them into a promotion... I suppose they probably do need this "punishment" in a way so that they learn how to treat their customers better and serve as a warning beacon to companies out there that SECURITY is important.

Although I don't own a PS3, I really want these hackers to be humiliated in public before going through their sentence...

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Sup I said:
I hope they give Sony another little kick for such a shitty welcome back package. Honestly, fucking WIPEOUT THE GAME.
I'm so sorry you get free stuff.

How about everyone leaves Sony alone so I can get on the Store? I've got RDR DLC to get.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
doggie015 said:
This begs the question: Why not go after the XBLA instead of the PSN? Micro$oft must have ripped off at least ten people for every one person Sony has ripped off. Plus; at least you CAN play for free on the PSN, to even access XBLA you have to pay!
Do what now? The only thing Gold has ever REALLY gotten you was online play. The XBLArcade and every other DLC is perfectly accessible through the (what used to be called silver) free accounts.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
Why? I think they've already proven that they're the biggest douche of them all. I think it may be someone who got fired from sony who's doing this. Why else would they target them like this? Makes sense how the information got stolen so easily anyway and why sony kept quiet about it. They probably suspected it was them.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
These hackers are really just becoming pathetic now......Eh, if they get caught I wish them a nice long jail sentence and a row of inmates, who would all like to "play" with them.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
If i EVER find out were one of thos BASTARDS lives, i'll be personally round their myself and STAB THEM.

Woodsey said:
They can suck my dick, fucking pricks.
No, that's just disgusting... i'll make them were facial hair made out of their own pubes for the rest of their days.

It's just annoying! What did Sony do for this? (I'm not actually sure)

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
loc978 said:
jakefongloo said:
loc978 said:
Dear hackers: I demand equal rights for Microsoft users. It's a slightly more deserving company anyway.

*goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu*
That comment is unhelpful it may even make sense but the only result that will happen is a flame war.
Stopping at the first period, this comment is a funny joke
Continuing to the second period just makes you look like a fanboy
OT: Keep it up dickwads, I hear that hackers ass's are like a delicacy in jail. Like some good viel. Soft from inactivity.

Damn just made myself hungry
Sorry about my fanboyism. It was intended as a joke, but my anti-console bias as well as my extreme anti-Microsoft bias does tend to seep through occasionally. In my defense, those biases are backed by a couple decades of technical knowledge and experience.
you have an anti-microsoft bias yet you're a PC gamer? *head asplodes*

anyways, it's too bad hackers are nigh impossible to catch and truly pin down crimes upon. what they're doing is unprovoked and sickening

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I really dont think they'll be able to do anything, Sony's a massive corporation, and now that they've been hacked once, they will be on the alert. So yeah, go eat a dick hackers

Dasrufken

Dec 1, 2010
In this thread: A bunch of mad people who don't understand that the hackers are doing this due to sony banning all mods on the PS3.

Tax_Document

Mar 13, 2011
Dasrufken said:
In this thread: A bunch of mad people who don't understand that the hackers are doing this due to sony banning all mods on the PS3.
We understand, hacker lover, we just don't support them. At all.

EVER.