Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
that's hardly fair, we're comparing video game sales
the Wii should be compared to say...Nerf guns, Barbie dolls, and Easy bake oven sales
(think the Wii might be losing there though)

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I think it has something to do with what is sold on each platform, think about it, Halo is the main selling point of the 360 and I personally can't name a single 360 owner that doesn't own a gears of war or halo game. PS3 on the other hand is different(Btw halo 3 has a 2 year advantage on most of these)
GOW 3 = It's just been bombarded with multiplat clones so It must be hard for it.
UNCHARTED 1 + Uncharted 2 = These are the only ones which don't have things against them so :)
Resistance 1 + Resistance2 = Let's face it, Insomniac is working harder on Rachet and Clank so They probably should have swapped R1 + R2 for A crack in time + Tools of Destruction
Infamous = It had to contend with Prototype(which to me was better)

Generator

May 8, 2009
As the proud owner of a PS3, I like to see this as Microsoft's last futile attempt to halt the movement of the ever-increasing shadow of Sony looming over them...

That being said, I love it when major corporations bicker like fanboys, so I really hope Sony manages to make an equally pathetic rebuttal.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
OmegaXzors said:
Here's the best part: if you dislike Halo 3 then you've got nothing else to play on the 360. Since everything else is pretty generic or on the PC.
I hate Halo, I bought the 360 for Dead Rising and Fable, and the fact that most of the other good games I like (such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band) are multi-platform anyways, so it was also to catch up.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Paddin said:
Sure is butthurt in here...

I'm not taking sides, Halo is an alright series, and those are good PS3 games on that list, but most people here saying:

"Oh, those statistics are pointless and stupid, just shows how pathetic Microsoft developers are"

Grow up.

Its an accomplishment nonetheless for ONE game to be outselling SIX of the PS3s most critically acclaimed games, so trying to devalue it by saying the developers are "pathetic" for boasting, or that it only sold because Halo has so many fan boys, is fanboysim to the extreme. Halo 3 did have a lot of fan boys, yes. But judging from this topic, it had its fair share of haters as well.
Couldn't have said it better my self

However it would seem that it is more of an attitude problem. If Sony were in Microsoft's position in this topic, the hate wouldn't be any different.

Again though: I'm completely with you on this one.

Edit:
OmegaXzors said:
Here's the best part: if you dislike Halo 3 then you've got nothing else to play on the 360. Since everything else is pretty generic or on the PC.
I'm gonna say: Gears of War, Crackdown and Perfect Dark Zero. Pretty prejudice of you not to look in to the subject.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
A shame, because Uncharted 2 is a much better game with a much better campaign and much better multiplayer.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Lets be clear here. He's saying Halo 3 is better than all those games combined. It's not. Lets not argue, it's just not.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
s69-5 said:
Jumplion said:
I did a little digging and got these stats from Wiki, so take these statistics however you like. I took Halo 3 and pitted it against the top selling exclusive PS3 games until it was outnumbered.

Xbox 360
Halo 3 (8.1 million)
Total: ~8.1 million

PS3
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (4.65 million)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.5 million)
Total: ~8.15 million
Remember, NPD is America only (360's home turf and highest sales region)
Wordwide stats =/= NPD (America) stats.
Alright, fair enough. Lets see what I can dig up on US only sales. I'll be using www.vgchartz.com [VG Chartz] this time, all US only sales.

Xbox 360
Halo 3 (7.94 million)
Total: ~8 million (which is kind of sad when you think about it)

PS3
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2.20 million)
LittleBigPlanet (1.70 million)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (1.58 million)
God of War III (1.57 million)
MotorStorm (1.54 million)
Total: ~8.6 million

So, depending on how you look at it, Halo 3 either outsells 2 combined heavy hitters or 5 game combined, which can be true for practically every console you can compare it with. Except, of course, Wii Sports (33.57 mil) :p

I still reserve the right to hate this guy, though...

But it's still pitiful to compare 2 new launch titles starting a franchise to a game that has only been out for 2 months against a tired and true IP of admittedly epic proportions.

EDIT: And of course, Quantity does not mean Quality.

E-Hybrid

Jan 25, 2010
Yes Halo 3 has done well for Microsoft, but is it just an attempt to cast a smokescreen over the fact that Natal won't be 'game-changer' at E3?

Also I wonder what the sales of other 'AAA' titles (on all platforms) amount to?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
What's that Microsoft? I can't hear you over the WII SPORTS THAT OUTSOLD HALO 3 BY ABOUT 40 MILLION.

Next time don't use sales to verify how good a game is retards. *to Microsoft*

Apr 29, 2010
Sales numbers do not necessarily mean quality. Don't get me wrong, Halo 3 was a fun game. But so were the other games it beat in sales. I just hope people can realize that without converting into rabid console fanboys.

usgentleman2007

Sep 23, 2009
Should we really count bundled games as sales? My current 360 came bundled with Kung Fu Panda, something that I never would have bought on its own.

Edit: The only reason Wii Sports is the highest selling game of all time is because it comes bundled with every Wii.