Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

QuickDEMOL1SHER

Oct 14, 2009
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Most people enjoy McDonalds more than any five star restaurant.

OP: Nice.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Don't worry Sony fans, I'm sure that they will carefully explain how their failure means success!

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
Xzi said:
Ninja Tank said:
the reason it sells so much cause people have to buy multiple copies I'm on my 3rd i think. They break real easy in the 360 cause even if you move it a inch it just scratches the disk beyond anything playable
That's the case with any console. Not that I'm defending Halo here...I freaking hate that series. But try flipping a PS3 OR Wii upright while a disc is spinning in the tray and see what happens. You don't move your console while playing something. Simple as that.
well actually my wii is like 20cm up and we always play with wired GameCube controller so it has fallen off that ledge a number of times. and it has fallen onto it's side the side the picture faces too. no scratched disks and it still works. oh and we have flipped it back up too

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Winner. This is rather pathetic that game developers need to value themselves this way.
This was said by Microsoft, not Bungie, I'm sure Bungie doesn't even care, too busy finishing up Reach.

Wow, I really hate it when people can't tell the difference between the douchey publishers and the developers.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Sure is butthurt in here...

I'm not taking sides, Halo is an alright series, and those are good PS3 games on that list, but most people here saying:

"Oh, those statistics are pointless and stupid, just shows how pathetic Microsoft developers are"

Grow up.

Its an accomplishment nonetheless for ONE game to be outselling SIX of the PS3s most critically acclaimed games, so trying to devalue it by saying the developers are "pathetic" for boasting, or that it only sold because Halo has so many fan boys, is fanboysim to the extreme. Halo 3 did have a lot of fan boys, yes. But judging from this topic, it had its fair share of haters as well.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
OmegaXIII said:
* Halo 3 has been out a looooong time so lets have some fairness as far as time goes
Well, Resistance: Fall of Man came out a year before Halo 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune came out about the same time, Resistance 2 a year later, Killzone 2 a year and a half later, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves two years later, and God of War III two and a half years later. There's the perspective.

The thing is though a ridiculous percentage of sales for "AAA titles" happen within a month after launch. I'm not saying that you're wrong but time is not as much a factor as you might think.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
this just in bungie is one of us now! Muahahahahaha (by that i mean they're gonna be making games for the ps3. enjoy ur final flight while it lasts HALO.

just jokes i like halo although i only play infection at my friends house.

Sep 14, 2009
ark123 said:
haha nice comparison

however one small flaw

halo 3 is the same price as all other games.

so i think it deserves some credit but as long as no one acts like a fanboy its a fun fact to know.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I did a little digging and got these stats from Wiki, so take these statistics however you like. I took Halo 3 and pitted it against the top selling exclusive PS3 games until it was outnumbered.

Xbox 360
Halo 3 (8.1 million)
Total: ~8.1 million

PS3
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (4.65 million)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.5 million)
Total: ~8.15 million

Of course a game will outsell two launch titles and a game that has only been out for 2 months. All he's doing is picking and choosing his stats just to make his little air-filled head fill up some more, a sneaky tactic indeed, and it's hardly fair to include games (mainly GoW3) that have been released in only a few months compared to Halo 3's 3-4 years, and two brand new, launch title, franchises as a comparison for an existing IP of the status of Halo.

And I don't think I need to mention that I hate Greenberg's guts. Not my most favorite of spokesmen.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Just a quick heads up to some of the apologists in this thread: I think Microsoft is perfectly aware that it's an unfair comparison on the grounds that they've sold more 360s than Sony has PS3s. In fact, that's what some of us call "the fucking point".

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Really this isn't too surprising. Halo has a lot of rabid fanboys.
Also doesn't the 360 have a disc eating problem? There are probably a lot of people who had to buy it twice.
Not really. Most of the time when it chews up a disc it is because the 360 was moved while it was running it. And then you have to consider the odds of it being Halo 3 that was being played while it did it. And on top of that, the chance the person would go out and purchase it again.

The disc eating thing only occured to one friend of mine as well as I believe, and it was either due to his mother or brother being an idiot. Other then that, I've put over 200 hours at least onto my Fallout 3 disc, and it still runs smoothly.

Now, on topic, just a random question but does anyone know if this includes used game purchases as well?

usgentleman2007

Sep 23, 2009
A few things.

First, high sales figures don't guarantee quality. I seem to remember Meet the Spartans being #1 at the box office, and some of the highlights of that movie resemble a bad Mad TV sketch. And I don't see people rushing out to buy games like Psychonauts or Shadow of the Colossus. They all go for Gunnsplosion VI.

Second, to counter that, I don't understand people bashing Halo as though it were the most horrible game ever conceived. I'll show you a bad game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68
Halo may have been more of the same, and may not deserve the title of "Best Game Ever," but it's still a well-made, enjoyable first person shooter that's worth the 20 bucks you can drop on it now. God of War 3 and GTA IV were also more of the same but that doesn't stop people from praising them, or me from enjoying them.

Third, what's the deal about this whole console war with console fanboy footsoldiers? It's called gaming for a reason, people. They're games. It doesn't matter which console (or PC) or game you're playing. If you're enjoying yourself, that's what matters. Spamming up online forums trying to pass off your opinion as irreversible truth and all who disagree as heretics won't change anyone's mind. It'll only cause them to spout their stupid opinions right back at yours.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Didn't Sony bash all the other consoles a few months ago? Why are people getting all mad at Microsoft for doing this when Sony did the exact same thing to both Nintendo and Microsoft?

Not saying its right but targeting Microsoft as being a bully is totally unfair since there competitor does it as well

Jun 11, 2008
According to Microsoft
This is when I stopped reading. I don't trust any figures any company gives about their own games especially when they compare them to other companies. Unfortunately sales=/=quality.

Quad08 said:
Didn't Sony bash all the other consoles a few months ago? Why are people getting all mad at Microsoft for doing this when Sony did the exact same thing to both Nintendo and Microsoft?

Not saying its right but targeting Microsoft as being a bully is totally unfair since there competitor does it as well
It is cool to side witht he underdog apparently.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
It's perfect flame-bait material indeed.

I hate it when companies are acting like their fanboys. Microsoft, Bioware, etc...

Note* Before you flame me, check the headlines from a few weeks ago.
Agreed, while it is pretty astounding and no less a giant accomplishment, I dislike when Companies get petty and involved in flame wars.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well that's really unfair

I mean, it's not like we should be comparing the 360/PS3 video game sales to the Wii electronic toy sales :]