Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
RanD00M said:
Aren't there like 6 PS3's against 1 xbox.So the and you have to think that Halo 3 have been given more time,and hype,to be sold then most of the other games.And not all of those games appeal to the different PS users.While most Xbox users,as far as I know,are Halo fanboys.Not all,just most.
fixed, you said 6 xbox's, and 1 PS3 its reversed. :)

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Numbers aren't everything. Well, for suits, they are, but as a general rule of thumb, they don't mean much.

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Yeah but that's largely because McDonald's is a lot cheaper than 5 star restaurants, so your analogy doesn't hold for explaining Halo's sales.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Korten12 said:
fixed, you said 6 xbox's, and 1 PS3 its reversed. :)
I was talking about that for each PS3 that has been sold,there have been sold 6 Xboxes in balance against it.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
I would give my congratz to Bungie, as they created the game(s). I salute your hard work Bungie, and I morn the fact MS uses you as a cash cow and doesn't give you the credit you deserve.

*salutes*

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Xzi said:
Ninja Tank said:
the reason it sells so much cause people have to buy multiple copies I'm on my 3rd i think. They break real easy in the 360 cause even if you move it a inch it just scratches the disk beyond anything playable
That's the case with any console. Not that I'm defending Halo here...I freaking hate that series. But try flipping a PS3 OR Wii upright while a disc is spinning in the tray and see what happens. You don't move your console while playing something. Simple as that.
Meh, I had mine standing upright while playing it one day and accidentally knocked it over. Absolutely fine, system and CD, went right on playing. In comparison, I decided I wanted to move my XBox ever so slightly to left one day, and couldn't be bothered turning it off and on again. Seriously, it was fucking 3cm, and the thing went ballistic.

OT: I noticed they conveniently decided to omit LittleBigPlanet. How very odd.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Wow, dick-measuring at the finest use of words. And I am one of those who bought the Xbox 360 and Halo 3.

It somehow seems low when they compared it with the lower ranks of games.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
ModusPwnens said:
ark123 said:
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.
Yeah but that's largely because McDonald's is a lot cheaper than 5 star restaurants, so your analogy doesn't hold for explaining Halo's sales.
My analogy had nothing to do with Halo's sales, it just pointed out that you can use absolute numbers as a way to suggest correlation even when two facts have nothing to do with each other.

There's a lot of reasons why McDonalds outsells 5 star restaurants. There are 30.000 mcdonalds, they're cheaper, they're accessible, etc etc. Suggesting it's better than 5 star restaurants is stupid.
There are many reasons why Halo 3 outsold those games combined, but suggesting it's a better game than those is also stupid.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Standing behind a fire shield wielding a fire extinguisher . I'm glad I own all three consoles, that way I get to say shit without getting called bias by most. Halo 3 may have out sold all six mentioned games but I don't think it was better that any of those games. Halo 3 just showed good quantitative results... it got a good amount of money because the series is popular and the 360 is cheaper to buy that the PS3. I enjoy Halo 3 (mainly for split-screen multiplayer) but I wouldn't put it high on my list of games.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Only problem being that even after 3 games I still don't care about Generic American Marine 10598

When will game designers learn, the manlier you try to make him, the more it smells of over compensation ; )

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
ark123 said:
Oh so true. Personally, from my experience, most of those exclusives Halo 3 outsold were outdone quality wise. Resistance 1+2 are arguable, but I thoroughly enjoyed the other games listed far more than Halo 3.

Also, the restaurant analogy doesn't quite work as we're paying the same price no matter what the quality of our "meal" or so to speak.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Scott Mansley said:
GonzoGamer said:
ark123 said:
GonzoGamer said:
Ahhh the pre-E3 flamebait.
Nobody does it like MS.

Really this isn't too surprising. Halo has a lot of rabid fanboys.
It is surprising when you consider how easy it would be for a sony fanboy to just throw in something about how many playstations 1,2 and 3 combined were returned for spontaneously breaking for no good reason though
True but the rrod isn't as relevant as the 360's penchant for eating discs... and digesting them from the looks of it.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/disc%20scratched%20by%20360/realitymaniac/IMG_0227.jpg
This is probably one of those copies of Halo 3.
Zoom in on the first picture..

Ok..

1... That's a blu-ray disc as far as I can tell.. The 360 doesn't use them.. I'm guessing that's a ps3 disc?

2. The 360 does not do that type of damage on a disc, If you move it slightly, It creates a perfect clean circle around the centre of the disc. And only the centre

3. Compare the inner part of the disc to the disc on the second page... Totally different dude :p
Yea. I think you're right.
That was the wrong link I was trying to put up anyway. I believe this is what you were talking about:

Yea that looks just as useless.

Sep 17, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
You know what they say, "mediocrity sells".

Oh I'm sorry, did I sound like a fanboy there?
Who has ever said that?

OT: I can't afford a PS3 and I have no product loyalty, but if Microsoft makes money that is good for a 360 owner like me...right?

ModusPwnens

Jun 6, 2010
ark123 said:
ModusPwnens said:
ark123 said:
My analogy had nothing to do with Halo's sales, it just pointed out that you can use absolute numbers as a way to suggest correlation even when two facts have nothing to do with each other.
Fair enough.

On a separate note, if there's one thing Halo has going for it that other shooters don't (both on the PS3 and 360), it's that you can get up to 4 players on a single split-screen, hop online, and play in matchmaking with others. It's so much fun, I was glad to see it in the Reach beta, and it's a feature I wish almost every shooter would include.

I also think Halo's gameplay (at least multiplayer, not the campaign) gets a bad rap. The combat has enough depth to keep seasoned players coming back for more. I get tired of military shooters like MW2 and Bad Company 2, and keep going back to Halo because the individual encounters are more fun. I will say though, that Killzone 2 is freaking awesome, and I would play it so much more if I had more friends on PSN, but the vast majority of my gamer friends (most in their mid-20s) are on the 360 and play Halo. My only PSN friend who regularly plays shooters online only plays Modern Warfare 2...

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
ModusPwnens said:
ark123 said:
ModusPwnens said:
ark123 said:
Fair enough.

On a separate note, if there's one thing Halo has going for it that other shooters don't (both on the PS3 and 360), it's that you can get up to 4 players on a single split-screen, hop online, and play in matchmaking with others. It's so much fun, I was glad to see it in the Reach beta, and it's a feature I wish almost every shooter would include.
This is why I prefer Halo 3 over MW2. When I hang out with friends we can all play together online instead of always having to do splitscreen offline matches.

OT: As many people have said its just Microsoft putting together statistics that make them look better. I do not have a PS3 so I can't comment on the games Halo was compared to, but I like the game.

Congrats, I guess, Bungie.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Hey, that picture is from the beta! The blue is a lot lighter then what in the final product, at least that is how all the images look.

Do they even give the numbers for the game sales? I'm a bit tipsy right now so my skimming powers is low.

Also, I love me some Halo, but it sure feels old, especially compared to the Reach beta.