Halo 4- I'll never buy another console game

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
savageoblivi0n said:
Bigsmith said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Bigsmith said:
I think the problem is that people don't expect to have to install their games on a console.

I understand if this is the problem and I feel that it's wrong of the developer to assume that everyone has this much space or have the required space free.
Indeed, it's not the fault of the developer or the customer. It's the expectations of both sides. Shouldn't be that hard to advertise it as a requirement, even the Diablo III thing put it on the box.
I agree, just a requirement on the back of the box/ description online. Kinda something PC games have been doing forever.
actually on the back of the Halo 4 case it does have a section that says it requires minimum 8 GB flash or HDD memory to access the Infinity multiplayer, kinda small print but no smaller than you'd find on a PC game box.
Huh wow, well then:

Developers win. Sorry, no right to complain if it's on the box I feel.

Although I do still feel that it shouldn't need it in the first place, but hay ho.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Don't PC's make you install... Er... Everything?

And this is becoming a trend and it's a good thing in my opinion, maybe not conveniant but it allows games to have better graphics and stops them having to sacrifice something from Mp for SP or vice versa...

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Really. This is what's going to stop you from buying another console game? An 8GB install that helps circumvent hardware limitations so that the game may be larger and better looking? Halo 4 found a way to work around the fact that the 360 is crazy outdated hardware with a teeny tiny disk size. I'm glad Halo 4 doesn't make me swap disks when I want to move from Campaign to Multiplayer. I love the install. I wish more games would let you install to avoid disk swapping.

Before I got my gaming desktop, I was constantly having to clear out my laptop's hard drive to make room for more stuff. This isn't a problem that only the 360 has. I was hoping to see a strong argument about something Halo 4 really does do wrong, but this is trivial.

hazard99

Nov 18, 2009
Hmm I didn't even know about the install before reading this thread.

I have the 20GB original hard drive(really only 13GB due to the reserved space for system files). I'm not a big fan of DLC so this 13GB of space has always been enough for me despite having alot of games.
Through good save management at any one time I can have up to a maximum of around 5GB free to install content from game of the year editions ( Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Borderlands etc) which I can remove after finishing with the content. This means I cant immediately go back to these games without having to install the content again but usually, for these sorts of games, Ill be playing them for an extended period of time without being finished with them so the install time is a trivial inconvenience.

I have never needed more than 8GB for one game and don't think I could free up room on my hard drive if I did. Also with something like Halo 4's multiplayer, it's something I would want constant access for so I could play on a whim.

It is a shame that I now need to buy another memory device for the sole purpose of playing Halo 4's multiplayer. But at least it will only be a minimum of about £5 (1/6 the price of the game).

For the record I'd rather have the ability to disk swap than have to install. Like others have said, you can have have both choices in other games( like assassin's creed 3).

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
Irridium said:
When a fucking CONSOLE doesn't meet the required hard drive specs for a CONSOLE game, shit's just silly. And why do I have to install the game? I bought a fucking console so I wouldn't have to install games. I mean, isn't this one of the major cons of the PS3? Having to install games?
Crono1973 said:
I thought mandatory installs were bad on consoles when the Sony did it. I guess it's ok when Microsoft does it. Sony never sold a PS3 model without enough storage to accommodate a single mandatory install but here we have an 8 GB install and Microsoft is actively selling consoles that have only 4 GB of storage space. It's pathetic that people are defending this. As for the comparisons to PC, that's just the thing, consoles aren't PC's. Consoles are supposed to be plug and play.
You two win the argument. It's amazing to me as well that so many people here immediately turn on OP. Consoles are not PCs. You buy the box expecting to be able to play any game made for it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Reece Borgars said:
as much as i agree the point given, the whole point of a console is not having to install a load of stuff on the hard drive - otherwise its essentially a pc. but is this one game really a legitimate reason to 'never buy another console game'?
It depends, is this one game a sign of what is to come with future games on the 360? If every game is going to start having mandatory installs then yes, this one game is a legitimate reason to never buy another 360 game.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
I thought one of the arguments I keep seeing for consoles vs PC was the fact you could just buy a console game and know it was gonna work...guess that's not the case anymore.
Must be the only way Microsoft could push all those 8 year old small repackaged HDDs on people.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
You know...you could just buy another hard-drive...20GB isn't really expensive...or delete some stuff on your 4GB hard-drive...this in no way is the fault of the console.

Most (not all) game of the year editions of games come with a second disc with all the DLC on it.
Nice to see you are completely missing the point that consoles were supposed to remove the requirement of having to buy new hardware just to keep up with game specs. Why the fuck would anyone ever buy a console again? Do you people LIKE getting scammed out of your money?

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Install on a console that is twice the size of the hard drive of some of the models in sale?

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

I could have cut that down to "install on a console?" but I expect the Halo fanboys to start pissing into my mailbox already for criticizing something they like, so I guess I'll stop there so that they won't set my house on fire.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
No_Jokes said:
I want to blame myself for not researching, but the thought of what they did never crossed my mind. Why would it? I've never seen it before on any other game. Games with more content don't even pull this shit, but enough jibber jabber. They gave me a second disc, yet it still wants me to install the multiplayer. I thought that was the purpose for the second disc, but it wasn't. I don't get it.Why would they do this? Mind you I have a 4gb HD (not by choice).
I'm in the same boat, but i realized why they did it, they don't want people sharing the two disks and getting two people playing multiplayer from the same game. My friends and i did that with ME3 for a long time, but it won't work with halo. Either that, or maybe the load times are just too long on a disk and they made you download it so no one would notice. Those are my theories, but I only have 1.4 gigs after I delete everything i can, and it takes 2, so no halo 4 multiplayer for me

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
A 4GB Xbox 360 should be able to run any game without any restrictions. It's ultimately Microsoft's fault if those 4GB is insufficient for the required installation of content related to any game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
spartan231490 said:
No_Jokes said:
I want to blame myself for not researching, but the thought of what they did never crossed my mind. Why would it? I've never seen it before on any other game. Games with more content don't even pull this shit, but enough jibber jabber. They gave me a second disc, yet it still wants me to install the multiplayer. I thought that was the purpose for the second disc, but it wasn't. I don't get it.Why would they do this? Mind you I have a 4gb HD (not by choice).
I'm in the same boat, but i realized why they did it, they don't want people sharing the two disks and getting two people playing multiplayer from the same game. My friends and i did that with ME3 for a long time, but it won't work with halo. Either that, or maybe the load times are just too long on a disk and they made you download it so no one would notice. Those are my theories, but I only have 1.4 gigs after I delete everything i can, and it takes 2, so no halo 4 multiplayer for me
I don't understand how "install and never use the second disc again" prevents disc swapping. In fact, installing makes disc swapping easier.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
No_Jokes said:
I don't understand how "install and never use the second disc again" prevents disc swapping. In fact, installing makes disc swapping easier.
You need the first disc to play it. You can't play it from the second disk, even once it's installed.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
spartan231490 said:
Crono1973 said:
spartan231490 said:
No_Jokes said:
You need the first disc to play it. You can't play it from the second disk, even once it's installed.
But how does a mandatory install prevent disc swapping?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Lovely Mixture said:
This is pretty amusing. It makes me realize why I haven't touched my 360 in so long.

I bought the original 360 when it first came out (with 20GB) and upgraded to the new one last year. Kept my old hard-drive but obviously can't use it on new one, and don't want to spend anymore money on it.

If buying more space is "mandatory" then why didn't Microsoft include it in the initial product like they did with the original?
You can use your old xbox 360 hard drive an your new one