Halo Legends Anime Miniseries in the Works

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
mike1921 said:
randommaster said:
The Japanese aren't going to go for it if the series continues to focus on what the American audience likes, namely, explosions and gruff men shooting things.

What they need to do is find a way to focus the story on family, and friendship, and strength form the heart, and all that jazz.
So...like hellsing :p ?
Sure, why not. The things that constitute a happy ending for the Japanese are different from what the Americans want in a happy ending. A lot of Japanese shows/films end with the protagonist learning how to believe in others and themselves to win the day, where as many American shows/films end with the protagonist thinking of some sufficiently cool/funny way to overcome their challenges.

There also tends to be more character development in Japanese narratives. Just like comparing a JRPG to an FPS. Japanese protagonists often start of (seemingly) weak, but grow into the role of the hero, where as American protragonists tend to start off as a badass, then are forced to use said badassery to solve problems. Goku must train to beat the new villian, while Superman has to McGuyver something up.

It's not simply bad marketing, it's value dissonance.

DemonI81

Aug 27, 2008
randommaster said:
The Japanese aren't going to go for it if the series continues to focus on what the American audience likes, namely, explosions and gruff men shooting things.

What they need to do is find a way to focus the story on family, and friendship, and strength form the heart, and all that jazz.
You obviously don't want much anime. A lot anime does focus on the things you listed, attempting to give a moral and all that, but there's plenty of series that are strictly about fighting, killing, blood, sex, etc... that have none of the values you listed.

My thoughts: Not even Production IG can make a good Halo anime and they made one of the best animes ever, Ghost in the Shell.

I've been saying this for 6+ months... Halo NEEDS TO DIE! A good game/series has been/is being totally ruined as MS/Bungie milk the series to death. I loved Halo 3, but after all the expansions and Bungie promising Halo 3 was the last game, then announcing 2 more, I'm done with Halo forever. If anything I see has the word "Halo" on it, I will not touch it.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Well, Red vs Blue had an anime short, and it was awesome in ways hard to describe, so... high hopes, yeah? Kidding (the Red vs Blue thing was awesme, though).

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
...Wa... But... Ah... Oh God...

My brain! It hurts! OH GOD IT HURTS!!! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
CkretAznMan said:
Why can't the Halo franchise just die already?
Because anything Halo related prints money. It's like the DSi of non-Nintendo products.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Vanguard1219 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
at Comic-Con, the software giant announced [http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-videogames23-2009jul23,0,5232624.story] Halo Legends, a collection of seven short films drawn in the Japanese anime style.
... so it's essentially The Animatrix, but with the Halo series instead?
Feh, semi-ninja'd. I'm wondering if this will be rather cool like The Animatrix, or if it will suck like... everything else The Matrix spawned, including its two sequels.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Jarico said:
Personally I'm more looking forward to "Red vs. Blue: Animated".

You are officially my favorite person of the day. I've never seen this, when did it come out? Just recently?

Anyways, OT, I'm interested. Always loved Halo, and it's about time it got on film in one way or another.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Chibi-Masterchief Chibi-Masterchief Chibi-Masterchief Chibi-Masterchief so kawaiiiiii!...Erm, Desu watashi and some other wapanese crap.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
What the hell happened to there only being three games? They went over that and now they choose Anime, I can't see it being any good. Personally I always thought the Halo series had quite the weak story and very wooden characters. This is Microsoft's Star Wars in the fact that it will be milked and will make money for decades if they want.

And just because Bones has made great Anime, doesn't mean they haven't/won't make bad ones, I didn't like Angelic Layer or Scrapped Princess. I liked FMA but I don't see it as one of those massive Anime series that revolutionized the Anime world. (And no I don't think Eva is one either.)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I can see the cynicism around here. Then again, a lot of posters here just hate Halo.

Note* The second comment is just based on personal views. It may not be the case.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I am surprised it took this long for someone to cash in. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Halo Saturday morning cartoon in the near future. Not to mention a live action movie.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Onmi said:
randommaster said:
mike1921 said:
randommaster said:

So...like hellsing :p ?
Sure, why not. The things that constitute a happy ending for the Japanese are different from what the Americans want in a happy ending. A lot of Japanese shows/films end with the protagonist learning how to believe in others and themselves to win the day, where as many American shows/films end with the protagonist thinking of some sufficiently cool/funny way to overcome their challenges.

There also tends to be more character development in Japanese narratives. Just like comparing a JRPG to an FPS. Japanese protagonists often start of (seemingly) weak, but grow into the role of the hero, where as American protragonists tend to start off as a badass, then are forced to use said badassery to solve problems. Goku must train to beat the new villian, while Superman has to McGuyver something up.

It's not simply bad marketing, it's value dissonance.
... You don't even know what Hellsing IS do you?
No, I do. Alucard looks like Carmen Sandiego and I take great enjoyment imagining him talk as the Rockapella group from the PBS show. Unless there's another Hellsing that I'm unaware of.

I wasn't really using it as an example, though, I was just talking in general terms.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Birras said:
CkretAznMan said:
Why can't the Halo franchise just die already?
Because anything Halo related prints money. It's like the DSi of non-Nintendo products.
I guess you could look at it that way, but it's more like I don't want another Star Wars franchise happening... At all...