Hands-On: Homefront Multiplayer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hands-On: Homefront Multiplayer

The war comes home, and it?s bringing a freakin? tank with it.

Read Full Article

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Even if this game turns out to technically be the best shooter ever, I think I would still be unable to play it without constantly facepalming at the very idea of North Korea invading the United States. That or I just giggle all the time while playing it.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
As a "multiplayer is everything to me" guy, this (and Brink) has me very excited.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
HK_01 said:
Even if this game turns out to technically be the best shooter ever, I think I would still be unable to play it without constantly facepalming at the very idea of North Korea invading the United States. That or I just giggle all the time while playing it.
To its credit, the game sets it up plausibly. It isn't just the single country of North Korea that's invading, it's the entire "Greater Korean Republic," i.e. North Korea which has conquered much of eastern Asia, like Japan circa World War II. And the America of 2026 has been badly crippled economically and resource-wise. So while the idea itself is laughable, they sell it well, if that makes sense.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
John Funk said:
HK_01 said:
To its credit, the game sets it up plausibly. It isn't just the single country of North Korea that's invading, it's the entire "Greater Korean Republic," i.e. North Korea which has conquered much of eastern Asia, like Japan circa World War II. And the America of 2026 has been badly crippled economically and resource-wise. So while the idea itself is laughable, they sell it well, if that makes sense.
not to mention that the country got hit with an EMP blast, making the "crippled" part even worse.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Well I'm glad they're trying something new with the multiplayer as well as the singleplayer. I might keep my eye on this one.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Well this news has me excited. I hadn't read up on the multiplayer yet, but this is sounding like it could steal me away from Bad Company 2's multiplayer.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Looks good, I like the setting a lot and it looks like a reasonable contender to bad company 2..

All I can say is, I hope they do a good PC port.. :p

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
A fantastic review/preview, John. I will most certainly be buying this on PC to go along side Battlefield.

I am somewhat worried that there will be balance issues; but that's not enough to make me not buy it.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
GLo Jones said:
As a "multiplayer is everything to me" guy, this (and Brink) has me very excited.
Same here. The Brink "Choir of Guns" trailer shows off some awesome weapons and customization.

Hopefully Homefront has plenty of weapons too. This MP sounds awesome though.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
This game is shaping up to be pretty good.
MP sounds awesome, not just spawn. shoot. die. spawn. die from chopper gunner. spawn. die from camper.
Definitely getting this. Hopefully its balanced.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Another credit unlock system for weapons? Really?

*sigh* as long as it isn't as simplistically implemented as Black Ops.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Star Wars Battlefront did BP last generation. To be honest it doesn't sound at all new, or even team friendly, it'll be like Battlefield Heroes and (maybe) MAG where it's about finding the best way to solo up a lot of points, be it through spam healing or deliberately not taking flags so you can shoot more.

And it's only a slight improvement over the kill streak system because if you suck you're not going to be able to do the other stuff that gets you points as fast as a good player.

But it's still an improvement over normal fare, and the second system sounds really fun

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
This concept sounds fun.

Really fun.

Sounds like something that might finally tear me away from my beloved Halo Reach. The BP and BC sound like the best thing to happen to modern shooters in a looong time.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
The mini missions sounds like a good idea, but do people earn penalties for not trying for them? In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, we have spots, Q button on an enemy, means everyone can see them. You get assist points if they die and you've spotted them. Quick and easy. But take a wild guess how many people actually do it. Just because the system is in there doesn't mean people will use it. Need more than incentives unfortunately.

Although BP sounds terrible tbh. It's hard enough getting people to play as a team when all they want to do is go solo and kill everyone. Encouraging them to do that can't be healthy.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Now I'm excited. Is there a squad system though? Or something like that, so I can easily group up and play with friends?

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
GLo Jones said:
You sir, are a man after my own heart. Deffinately the two most exciting shooters out this year in my opinion.