Has anyone else played Metro 2033?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Desert Punk said:
I am amazed so many people had such problems with the amebas, just make note of their spawn points, destroy them after the first one pops up and stroll along till you spot the next one.

Its really not that hard...
"Scribbles notes down" gotta make sure to remember that.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
hazabaza1 said:
Great game, but near the end it became one of the few games I genuinely ragequit on and never touched again. Let' just say if you hear about "Amoebas" you should get ready to rage.
Hopefully Last Light doesn't have any bullshitty sections.
This basically.

I advise you OP: once you hear the words "ARTYOM, VE MUST TAKE CARE OF THOSE AMOEBAS" you shut down whatever platform you're playing the game on, wipe the hard drive (preferably with a strong magnet for good measure) and never look back.
It was worse than the Flood on the original Halo from what I experienced, since at least the majority of the flood didn't evolve into self destructing blobs of goo. I kept trying to destroy the spawn spots, but it seems they are made of some kind of new super alloy similar to adamantium. Also, that NPC walks like a freaking turtle through there when he should be running for his dear life.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
I played it was great a game with an interesting concept and story(based off the book i believe). I like the fact it took place in Russia it gave a really different cultural feel to the game.

Psyched for last light can't wait deffo gonna get it.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
The best example of a true adventure/journey game*, I loved it and may even pre order last light.

*Not counting fantasy rpgs or sandboxes

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Great game, but near the end it became one of the few games I genuinely ragequit on and never touched again. Let' just say if you hear about "Amoebas" you should get ready to rage.
Hopefully Last Light doesn't have any bullshitty sections.
Anyone who went through that section with raging at least once clearly cheated by knowing what would happen.

I really enjoyed the game. My only wish that it could have been longer and that the stealth had been done better. I always found it interesting how you are told how to sneak past the librarians but it's next to impossible to go through an area without being detected by one.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Excellent game but a bit too easy for my liking. Looking forward to the new one thats due out.

Very few games make me cautious, especially when the killing is so easy but this was one of them. Stealth was good but tricky and the all out murder is satisfying. I'd recommend it to anyone although i concede that a lot of people will give up when it starts to get a little harder half way through.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Got it in the thq bundle played it a little but the fact that i have it on the pc and it will only show the controls on screen for the for the joypad pissed me off to much to continue. :/

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
I loved Metro 2033 so much, it was so... immersive with the environment and they set the mood extremely well with it being bleak, depressing, and hopeless. Some parts of the game though, my word, I could barely do some parts, especially with the LIBRARIANS NO PLEASE NO THE LIBRARIANS NO LIBRARIANS, OH GOSH NO PLEASE NO NO NO NO NOT EVEN ONCE

I got all the way to the Amoeba the first time, on Ranger Hardcore, and then I ran out of bullets. Right as I got there. absduasfuhawugjawg. I spent about two hours trying to get through that with my KNIFE, I was punching the dang things trying to kill the amoeba spawnpoints and keep Miller from running into a horde of expired jello blobs -- in the end I restarted the entire game because I had run out of bullets, and needed more.

And then, I realized that I didn't run out of bullets that first playthrough. I ran out of dirty bullets, and didn't realize I could've swapped those out with my military grade bullets... I felt so stupid, but I wouldn't have changed that one bit because I loved playing through it a second time, and when I got to the ending

OH GOSH, THE ENDING

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS

yus indeed

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I read the book first then thought I'd play the game as I really enjoyed it and wanted to see how 'true' it was. Kept putting off buying it until THQ gave me it for free then had no excuse.

Haven't played a lot I'm probably 1-2 hours in or so, I just get distracted by other games. It's enjoyable, like the atmosphere, the claustrophobia and the general feling that in the stations everything is a little bit shitty and they know it.

Only problem I have is the combat, it can be a bit hit and miss on accuracy which can be fairly frustrating when the AI seem rather good at winging shots into my ass when it's behind cover.

RealRed05

Feb 22, 2013
Overall, I enjoyed it. Using bullets for currency was a nice touch since it forced you to think about buying an important upgrade over actually shooting something. Switching between survival horror and hard-nosed action prevented monotony and kept me on the edge of my toes. Even the outdoor sections where you need to monitor your gas filters was an intriguing idea.

If anything my one problem was its linearity. After having become accustomed to Fallout, where I'm sure comparisons are always made, walking through an apocalypse with little in the way of control over where I visited put me off a little.

Still, I'm keeping my eyes and ears open on Last Light.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I bought the game shortly after it first came out because Ive always been a fan of post apocolyptic settings. Metro offered something different. Its not like fallout, the original 2 legend of zelda games, or wasteland. Its more compact and brings a certain charm with it that isnt found in other games. Perhaps the most engaging part for me was the stealth "tutorial" which takes place as Bourbon gives you a stealth 101 course while you travel with him. That was a great way to teach the player what to look out for and I wish more games would do it like that.

Something that Metro 2033 did that just about no other game has done is it got me to read the book which I didnt think was as good but it was still enjoyable. If a movie, game, or some other kind of art can get me to read a book (I dont normally enjoy reading novels I like more technical or nonfiction stuff) then its done something special.

Overall its a fantastic game and probably in my top 10 games of all times list. Certainly in my top 20

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
erttheking said:
And yes, there was a book. Haven't read it though, probably should
There are, in fact, at least TWO books, as well as a huge number of spin-off novels written by other authors. I only read the first one though. It may be worth it, it's pretty decent. However, as a Russian, I can tell you that it's full of pretty heavy-handed (sometimes almost cringeworthy) social commentary. Shouldn't be a problem for you Westerners anyway.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yellowfish said:
erttheking said:
And yes, there was a book. Haven't read it though, probably should
There are, in fact, at least TWO books, as well as a huge number of spin-off novels written by other authors. I only read the first one though. It may be worth it, it's pretty decent. However, as a Russian, I can tell you that it's full of pretty heavy-handed (sometimes almost cringeworthy) social commentary. Shouldn't be a problem for you Westerners anyway.
I kinda figured that there was social commentary when I learned that Reds were fighting the Nazis in the tunnels. Also the whole thing basically screams "WAR IS BAD" especially when you get to the ending.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I imagine I would've liked the game a lot more if its mandatory stealth elements weren't utterly broken if you didn't use the throwing knives. And not broken in the fun Metal Gear Solid way where you can toy with the silly AI and still get away if they happen to catch a glimpse of your leg.

I like stealth games, I like shooters, and Metro 2033 was a lot of fun. Until I reached the apocalypse-Nazi camp early on in the game that you had to stealth through, because getting spotted or missing a one-hit-kill meant every enemy in the area (a large area with a lot of enemies) immediately had telepathic knowledge of exactly where you were standing, and multiple machine gun turret placements from above would rain hell down on you while guys with shotguns and AKs riddled you from below.

Only game I can think of in recent memory that turned a complete 180 within the first five hours and made me ragequit so hard that I uninstalled it.
Protip: The stealth elements aren't mandatory (although I agree that they are completely broken, and the game should have made it more obvious that they aren't mandatory). If you can get yourself some decent cover, and take things slowly, it's actually not only possible to do those sections loud, but it's also far, far easier.

Anyway, I loved this game. It has a brilliant atmosphere, and doesn't really feel like any other game I've played. I highly recommend it.

Also, I was able to get through the library without dying once. Although the amoebas gave me trouble before I was told that you could shoot the pods.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I started playing it a while ago and got to the part just after you go through the 'front lines' It's cool, very dark and the gameplay is challenging gonna go back to it sometime.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Loved it, beat it several times. the atmosphere is wonderful and opressive, though I felt the way the game cheated with the gasmask (it only lets you pick up certain filters depending on how many you already have, so trying to stock up early will stop you being able to replenish along the way) was kinda cheap and created false tension. (it didn't help it almost made me lose my game on Ranger-hard difficulty right near the end because I was on the tower with maybe a minuteof spare air.).

I would definitely recommend the DLC, as its cheap as chips. You only get a few extra weapons, but the ranger difficulty (ammo is much more scarce - including military grade - but each bullet inflicts significantly more damage, both against you and enemies) really changes the feel of the game and makes another playthrough very interesting

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
It's really amusing, I hated those Amoebas so much that I actually completely forgot about them after I finished the game. I'm completely serious, It was only when someone who had observed me playing the game asked me what game had the "russians were shooting blobs in some station." Than I remembered....And tried hard to forget again.

My opinions on Metro 2033 are like such:

I saw the trailer and gameplay previews and loved the concept, I waited for a while, and then bought it off steam.

Scripted Sequences:

Lovely Mixture said:
Assuming the game is real-time, I think I prefer non-scripted sequences more often.

Metro 2033 made me hate scripted sequences.

"Hey dude, I see you're unlocking the door but do you notice that hole right there? I mean some monster could jump out of that.....You know like the monsters we've been fighting for the last hour? Dude......I'm serious."
Moral Choices completely irrelevant till the end.

Lovely Mixture said:
latiasracer said:
Well, with the ending of Metro 2033, it made me replay the entire game a few months later to try and get the ending where SPOILER
The negative ending is very powerfull.
I actually hated the fact that they gave you a choice. They should have did it like the book did.

Other than that....
-dumb foreshadowing
-solid atmosphere,
-horrible stealth sequences
-cool weapons (though you have to wonder why the only pistols they have are revolvers),
-some invisible walls
-great attention to details in the residence areas

So yeah, I have mixed feelings on it.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Let' just say if you hear about "Amoebas" you should get ready to rage.
Sweet jesus shit balls. I think I JUST managed to wipe that section from my memory...[small]so much bullshit[/small]

I bloody loved that game! I saw it suddenly appear on the xbox arcade and I had some money at the time, and I had never heard of it before but the screenshots looked pretty cool so I decided just to buy it on a whim and see if it was any good

I'd probably call it one of my top ten favorite games ever :D

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
I tried to, but the game's optimalization is total shite. I can run huge, open world games like Far Cry 3 and Guild Wars 2 just fine, but even with the settings on low, Metro 2033 still runs like a powerpoint presentation. A rotten shame, because I've heard good stories about it. I'll just wait for the sequel and hope they won't forget about us PC gamers this time around.