Has/did your school ever pull a dick move?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Well, My school starts tomarrow and they just posted the schedules 30 seconds ago. (7:56 EST)

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
My old school, one of the teachers is basically ignoring me. I have bad grades in his subjects and he's not answering so I'm not able to change it either. I've tried talking with others at the school about it, but they don't do anything.

Feb 9, 2011
My college did, once. Well, one teacher did on the semester before I graduated. We had been given a final paper to write and the topic was law enforcement (I'm a CRJ major) and how has our time here and other outside experiences influenced us one way or another. I forget the topic exactly, but that's the general idea. It's unimportant anyway. The paper could be sourced through any means, including our own personal experiences. In fact, we could base the whole paper on personal experiences, and since my father, grandfather and many of family members our actively or retired from the practice, I thought that would be perfect since I had a lot to talk about on the subject.

So, I write the paper, turn it in, receive an F and a "See me" on it. At this point, I had an A- in the class, so failing wouldn't keep me from graduating, but I was still furious nonetheless. I visit my teacher the following day and he claims that, because I had no cited references, I effectively plagiarized the whole thing. The fuck? Since I used only my own experiences (and nothing else), I did not need them. This is obvious and the option was clearly spelled out on the paper's guidelines too. I was stunned.

I was furious and went off on him, threatening to my department's head because he was essentially going to keep me from graduating because of a fake plagiarize claim. I already hated this man and now I wanted to throw him out the window. Long story short, I called his bluff, used the paper's guidelines as proof that I was correct and if he didn't change the grade on the paper I was going to file a complaint and take him to the dean for our CRJ department. He gave me a "C-" and that dropped my grade to a "B". Fuck him and my college. I hated that place.

At least I graduated!

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
My school is a dick move monster. The whole system reeks. It's run by Seventh Day Adventists so I guess that's not a good sign. They are against everything, and the Brazilian school system is F'd up already.

Damn I miss Canada.

UnadvisedCow

Jul 6, 2011
Death God said:
OT: My school has random laptop screenings and can look through personal info if they feel you are doing something your not supposed to do. I know it is their laptops and all but teenagers need some privacy.
im sorry but because it is their property they do have the right to do that...

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Play outside, no matter what! It doesn't matter that the flippin' huge computer lab is full of educational games or that the library has a ton of interesting books! PLAY OUTSIDE, DAMMIT! I DON'T CARE IF IT'S RAINING AND THERE IS NEXT TO NO SHELTER TO KEEP YOU DRY!

Also, bullying troubles abound? Pssh, we don't need more than two campus monitors to keep watch over the 1000+ students!

...Yeah, there's a reason I decided to homeschool throughout my high school years.

I actually had a really bad instance in college. The first time I took my literature class, our midterm involved giving a response to one of several poems we had to read over. The criteria explicitly stated that the teacher would not subtract marks based on subjective interpretation. And what happens when we get our midterms back? She keeps us waiting for fifteen minutes as she rants about just how badly we all suck. Not WHY we suck, just THAT we suck. I nearly leaped to my feet and exclaimed "WE GET IT! WE SUCK! NOW CAN WE GET OUR ASSIGNMENTS BACK BEFORE WE MISS THE (going-home) BUS FOR A THIRD TIME?" Oh, and you know the kicker? Every single thing I was dinged for was purely based on subjective interpretation, like "Well, I don't see that!" I was so pissed off that I dropped the course that evening; I was not going to put up with that. I've explicitly avoided classes with that teacher ever since.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
My secondary school cancelled study leave without much warning. Actually, given the school, I think it was probably a good idea.

Plus, given the havoc the unexpected change did to organising trains, they gave me mine anyway
:p

Not that that excuses them for making us wear school uniform during the exams. I mean, comon!

They also forced me to choose between Sports (no), resistant materials (no), art (n... actually almost chose it. Did the first lesson. Then regained my sanity), and English Lit (Which didn't turn out all that bad, I did enjoy it, but there were subjects I'd much rather have taken)

Okay, my school never did anything that bad. They were going to force us to do a massive cross country run once, but they kinda disappeared. They were going to force us to pick all the litter one day, but that fell into the same disorganized abyss.

My college split the double maths lessons into 4 two hour lessons a week. No (official) breaks. Same teacher. Our teacher at least alleviated the problem by giving us a 10 min break in the middle and switching between say, Pure and Mechanics at half time.

Okay, I've got a real one. This one time my primary school (For one year. Left a bad taste in my mouth for every primary school I went to that I've realised was unjustified) found that someone had thrown their sandwiches (or maybe even half or just the crusts) in the bin. They lined us up in the playground, by year, register order, sitting, and made us wait the entire break time. In winter. I can only assume they were hoping either the kid wouldn't admit to this HEINOUS CRIME, and mob justice would prevail, or that the kid would admit to it (in front of the entire school), they'd give him detention, call his parents (who'd be like "And....?"), and mob justice would prevail.

Fuck that school. It was a shit hole.

SirBryghtside said:
Ugh... got into 6th form today, and I already hate the school again.

In your free time - that's time when you don't have lessons - you have to stay in school.

I mean... seriously, what? What's the point in that?
Wait, what? What kind of shitty 6th form do you go to? Is it connected to a secondary school?

Yeah, always go to a dedicated 6th form college.

Living right next to my school, I was dropping in and out even during the breaks we were given between double lessons. Still spent a significant amount of that time on homework, though I did have some damn good brunches during those two years. And those days when my first lesson was at 3:15 were EPIC.

And this college has a reputation for being very academic and school like. Glad I call tell those Varndean and Lewes bitches they're just extrapolating from our better academic performance
Sylveria said:
Oh, they also banned all backpacks cause some ass stuck some bubble-gum on a computer board and called in a bomb threat not long after Columbine. They didn't ban gigantic purses, gym bags, lap-top cases, trench coats, or anything else that could easily conceal a bomb or fire-arm, just back-packs.
What!? How does a school ban backpacks? That's just... what?

Alexander Hamer

Dec 1, 2010
My school dicked me to the point of not finishing college. My senior year I moved off campus, which is a right bestowed once becoming a junior. After moving in and putting a $500 safety deposit and $1,000 for first and last month rent, 2 weeks before school starts I get a $10,000 bill from my college charging me for room and board.

"But, dear school, I am not living on campus," I say with shock.

"Ah, yes, well, you didn't fill out the correct off-campus requisition form. You still have to pay room and board, although you are certainly free to live off campus."

"Well, maybe I can get my deposit back. Where's my room?"

"You didn't reserve a room, we're all booked up."

"But I'm still paying $10,000 for a room, which you don't have?"

"That's the size of it, yes."

And that, dear Escapist readers, is the reason I fell 1-year short from getting a bachelor's degree.

Azaez

Jul 29, 2011
My school had a habit were they took the Senior class money and bought themselves doughnuts, a few new vending machines and staff partys...all we got was a crappy senior trip paid by our parents and a diploma...we spent none of the class money on the class.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
When I was 14 my school was the only school in 25 miles to stay open despite the ground being covered with black ice. The head teacher was forced to close and later fired for keeping the school open after 5 students, me included, broke something (I broke my arm). The head and the teachers were trying to go for some record for never closing. Man I hated those fuckers. I had that cast on for two months!!

The same head teacher about two years before was my English teacher. We had a spelling test and nobody could be fucked so all but a few did badly. I got 8 out of 10. We were told that if we did not redo the test and doble our score then we would get after school detentions. Some people went from 3 to6. Some went from 2 to 4. I went from 8 to 9 and got the detention. I think she did not like me very much.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Skullkid4187 said:
Yup, my school got rid of the dividers between urinals to "battle homophobia."
.... The feck? Who's running your school?

OT: I don't know if this counts, but one of the teachers at my grade school decided to use the media for the cause of some witch hunt for racism. It led nowhere, and she was sent to another school. But because my school had horrid temps, the children in the class were taught nothing for over a month. And then hand to catch up.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Today I came to the caff, hoping to get my daily dose of coke with caffeine, but it turns out that they don't sell Coca-Cola, or any soft drinks for that matter, anymore :(

Bubba Doongai

Sep 3, 2011
In our business class we took part in a program called 'Young Enterprise'. You had to start your own business and try to make a profit. The profit would then be divided between shareholders (all students had shares, some had more than others). Most kids gave 50p for shares, I gave £20. Our business was a pretty big success and I should have been looking at a return of £80. It's two years on, I've just left the school, no one knows where the money has gone. I'm pretty sure the school is in possession of it. What's annoying is that I'm a co-signer on the account but can't access it because the teacher who was another co-signer left the school a year ago. I'm not too pissed off about the money, just that the school seem to have tried to sweep the whole matter under the rug.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
When I was 14 my school was the only school in 25 miles to stay open despite the ground being covered with black ice. The head teacher was forced to close and later fired for keeping the school open after 5 students, me included, broke something (I broke my arm). The head and the teachers were trying to go for some record for never closing. Man I hated those fuckers. I had that cast on for two months!!

The same head teacher about two years before was my English teacher. We had a spelling test and nobody could be fucked so all but a few did badly. I got 8 out of 10. We were told that if we did not redo the test and doble our score then we would get after school detentions. Some people went from 3 to6. Some went from 2 to 4. I went from 8 to 9 and got the detention. I think she did not like me very much.
Set her on fire. It's the only logical solution.

My 6th form college always refused to close for snow. Now, this is South East England, so the snow isn't that extreme, but the entire travel network shuts down out of shock when it happens. At a college where most people commute by train. Last time it happened, I just managed to get in (living across the road helped), and could count on one hand the number of students who showed up. It made me realised how much of a nerd I am, because I knew all the of students there personally, along with all the teachers present.

My maths teacher got me to forgive them for this, however, by telling us the whole story. Apparently the headteacher lived far enough away, on the other side of the downs, that he couldn't be sure the snow was as bad at the college as where he was (Something that happened a couple of weeks earlier. Sunny winter day here in Brighton; whole of Eastbourne was shut down), and he didn't want to cancel any lessons so close to exams. So, with all the roads and trains pretty much out, he was trudged across the downs, ready to check if the snow was big enough at the college, and to make the day run smoothly if not.

After about an hour and a half (I had actually left for breakfast, and had just come back to hand a form in) the college declared that it was open but not holding lessons.

Might buy that guy a phone as a parting gift.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Yes they did. My high school just made us start 25 minutes earlier but end at the same time (now its 8:05 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.)...to extend our overly long lunch period. Seriously, what was the point? I don't see how that helps anyone. If anything it will cause more people being late.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Jesus, what kind of schools have you all gone to?! o_o

Um I got nothing, the most evil any of my schools have done was to serve left overs 2 days in a row.
Death God said:
You get a 40 minute lunch and that is bad? We get 30 minutes and 4 of those minutes are getting back in class.
OT: My school has random laptop screenings and can look through personal info if they feel you are doing something your not supposed to do. I know it is their laptops and all but teenagers need some privacy.
Then use your own god damn computer T.T"