Has/did your school ever pull a dick move?

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
Probably the totalitarian rules regarding electronics usage. This was at lunch last year, I had my iPhone out during lunch in the lunchroom (so not in a class, not distracting to the learning environment) and I was looking up a Chinese word I needed to finish my homework. The school's assigned police officer comes over, tells me he needs to take my phone and for me to come with him. While we're walking, he says, "this is the new iPhone, right? the 4 model?" I nod, and he says," Sucks you lost it for the day then, huh?"

Picking it up at the end of the day was almost as dickish. I go to my neighborhood office (our school is divided into four "neighborhoods" each with their own principal and office) and ask for my phone back, and I'm told my neighborhood principal has it and that he's out front of the school. I go there and ask for my phone back, and he asks "You do know our school policy explicitly banning all electronics, right?" I say yes, but I thought use during lunch would be okay because I wouldn't be distracting a class, plus I've seen countless other kids using iPods and phones during lunch with no punishments so I figured it was allowed. He asked me how long I'd been at the school, and I say that was my sophomore year. He then tells me that I "should know the rules by now," heavily implying I'm an idiot with his tone, and finally gives me back the phone after about ten minutes of lectures about school policy.

Fuck, even thinking about this again pisses me off.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
DuctTapeJedi said:
We had a contest every year that was sort of like a male version of the homecoming queen court. They had to raise money for charity, and then at the end they had a big dance where the contestants and their dates were rewarded for their efforts.

My senior year, a gay friend of mine was winning. He was planning on going with his boyfriend, and no one really cared.

Until some angry parent got mad and called a local radio talk show to complain about a same sex couple in the winners' circle.

The principal cancelled the dance.
Wow, that's a legitimate dick move.

I mean, the real dick move was the person who called in, the principal was likely trying to avoid offending anyone.
But still, he should have had more balls.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
UnadvisedCow said:
Death God said:
OT: My school has random laptop screenings and can look through personal info if they feel you are doing something your not supposed to do. I know it is their laptops and all but teenagers need some privacy.
im sorry but because it is their property they do have the right to do that...
I know it is their property but taking a laptop and searching through a person's history because they "think" you may be up to something is a little wrong. If they are innocent, then you just took away someone's privacy for no reason other than a vague thought. If they are guilty, then fine, by all means. But going out on a whim shouldn't happen; they should have either compelling evidence or at least several proofs.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
martin said:
DuctTapeJedi said:
We had a contest every year that was sort of like a male version of the homecoming queen court. They had to raise money for charity, and then at the end they had a big dance where the contestants and their dates were rewarded for their efforts.

My senior year, a gay friend of mine was winning. He was planning on going with his boyfriend, and no one really cared.

Until some angry parent got mad and called a local radio talk show to complain about a same sex couple in the winners' circle.

I mean, the real dick move was the person who called in, the principal was likely trying to avoid offending anyone.
It was pretty well known that the principal thought less of gays. He was just looking for an excuse.

matoasters

Jun 7, 2010
Holy shit, you have a whole hour with no classes? Damn, my school has 25 minutes of lunch, no break, and then straight back to classes. They just put in cctv as well, but of course they didn't bother to fix the damn roof.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
DuctTapeJedi said:
martin said:
DuctTapeJedi said:

It was pretty well known that the principal thought less of gays. He was just looking for an excuse.
Then he's a dick too.

TheEnigmaticTwinky

Mar 14, 2010
I live in Kansas, where it's required by law for the school to give school newspapers full First Amendment rights- and by full I do mean FULL. However, in the Debate section of the newspaper, we ran a little article about whether or not the new drink machines would be a good use of the funding.
The day after it went into circulation, all of the staff members got ISSes (in school suspension) with the only explanation being "inappropriate comments in the newspaper".

Yeah.

John1307

Sep 12, 2010
When i was at school i was bullied alot(not looknig for sympathy just supplying back story for why i did this) so one day when i was 13 a boy of 16 pushed me into the mud then put out a cigarette on my face so i actually fought back and broke his nose. I got detention and nothing happened to him.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The only thing I can think of is how Pep-Rallies were mandatory. I would get excited because classes end early but when I go to leave the building I find that the exits are blocked off by security.

Bull. Shit.

Luckily that was high school. Haven't had to be there in years.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
They distribute schedules using an online system before school starts, which isn't the dick move but this is necessary info to describe it. The freshman get theirs at orientation about a week or so before school starts, so the schedules are obviously ready. Everyone else gets them at 4 PM the previous day. You have any schedule issues? Tough shit, you have to wait until school starts to fix them.

This wouldn't be bad if it was a school that distributed schedules on the first day of school, because then there isn't any way to avoid this problem, really. But when you can hand them out online whenever you want? Bullshit.

There's also no iPods/phones allowed at lunch, which I don't really get. I don't have anybody to really text during lunch anyway as they're either in class or in my lunch, but no iPods? What's the harm done?

Oh, and there's no AC in the school, but they put in money for a fucking turf field for the goddamn football team. Now, I'm in the marching band, but we never even get to practice on it because the rec council decides to have its soccer game with 5 year olds on the field instead. And they get priority. So not only do we waste money on this while everyone boils by the time finals roll around, but it's used for the ENTIRELY WRONG PEOPLE. What the fuck.

SuperPogo

May 18, 2011
My freshman year and they decide that a tardy = detention. I can't recite them, but a few minor offenses' punishment resulted in nearly a week of community service, or even being suspended for repeating the littlest offences twice.

(Although apparently, the freshmen before us were acting stupid enough to have these rules enforced, so that's not just a dick move on my school for prejudging us to act just as bad, but it's also another dick move by last year's freshmen who behaved so poorly to make them consider such harsh rules in the first place. Yay!)

the_dancy_vagrant

Apr 21, 2009
Two things in high school that were dick moves:

1: Block scheduling.

See, 6 periods per day plus 1/2 hour for lunch and 1/2 hour for study hall. The idea was that on Tuesdays, you'd go to periods 1, 3, and 5 for double the time and on Thursdays you'd go to periods 2, 4, and 6. Surprise, surprise - we ended up almost a month behind in lessons by the end of the year because teachers would use the long days to teach their usual 1 hour lesson and then do nothing for the rest of the class. When it came time to take state mandatory end of year placement tests, a lot of people failed or did sub-par despite being good/smart students.

2: The quarter vs. the semester.

This one is a tad more give and take. For the first 2 years of high school, we were on a quarter system. 3 quarters per high school year vs 2 semesters per college year. When I was a junior, they switched to the semester system to be more in line with the university system. The benefit of a quarter system is that you have a shorter time period in which to set your grade average, ie less time and fewer assignments to boost your overall GPA. It was easier to pull up your grades if you were doing poorly by nailing a big test or a final exam. On the downside, failing a test or an exam could destroy your grade in a given class. The semester system did just the opposite. It became harder to fail a class by bombing a test or final exam, but because of the longer grading cycle, it was ridiculously hard to raise your letter grade. So going from a B to an A halfway through a semester basically meant making a 95 or above on every quiz and test AND acing the final exam or it wasn't going to happen.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Our school was amazing for half a semester and gave us a one hpur lunch period. This included a study hall in the theater for kids who wanted extra help during the later 30 minutes of lunch. Juniors and seniors were also allowed to eat outside, which was huge. Then halfway into the first semester, they pulled it. And we reverted back to our standard 25 minute lunch. Which is stupid.

Also in the atrium (our main hub of sorts, with a main staircase) the faculty noticed that a lot of people were hanging around the walls and just talking, not getting to class. So what do they do? They add a square barrier (rope) in the atrium, basically reducing the walking space by about 80%, because they thought it would force students to keep moving. It does absolutely nothing. The kids who like to stand and talk between classes still do that, and they people who are trying to get somewhere get screwed over because there's people going to and from the staircase PLUS the people loitering, so it's damn near impossible to walk that mere 15 feet in under 30 seconds. Imagine a blood clot, and I'm a platelet trying to get past the clot.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
After reading other posts on this thread I can't really complain beyond a few dickhead teachers but I kinda wish my school gave a flying fug about the football team. I'm on it but we really don't get any special treatment and the volleyball team is where all the money goes. Parents are the ones who have to pay for a lot of our things and we even have to do an actual chocolate sale for funding. Just kinda sucks how we easily have the most difficult sport and while the volleyball team gets everything they want, a renovated gym (wasn't just for them but still) and a bag of chips. We have to have chocolate sale for a goal post on our small field. Just saying if I'm gonna play football I'd like some perks...earned of course...I'm gonna go lay in a tub of ice my body hurts.

prince_xedar

Aug 25, 2010
(not my school but one in NZ nonetheless)
First friday in september we have a thing called Blue Friday, to raise prostate cancer. Now there was a girl whose grandfather died of prostate cancer, and when she went to school with blue facepaint on, her headmaster forced her to remove the facepaint because, being a girls only school, they were only allowed to support feminine causes

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
Not my school, but my school district
someone in the main office my junior year somehow entered a grant or something they'd received to remodel the main office more than once... so the school district decided that since they had twice as much money (they didn't) that they'd build an office twice as big.

Then several people promised to take full responsibility for the mess... and the deficit was more or less evenly taken out of the schools in the district's budgets. (i.e. no one taking responsibility got fired or took a pay cut)

Edit: I didn't realize I left this out... this wasn't a couple hundred or even a couple thousand dollar mistake but a $35million (as in 35*10^that'stoomuchmoneytonothaveredundanciestopreventthiskindoffuckup!)

skoasha

Mar 5, 2011
After 3 years of preparing for our senior project they said "oh yeah, we're changing the senior project this year, so all the work you've done for 3 years is completely useless now, and you can throw it all away. Have fun doing a new project." we were a tad angry.

prince_xedar

Aug 25, 2010
Kwaku Avoke said:
After reading other posts on this thread I can't really complain beyond a few dickhead teachers but I kinda wish my school gave a flying fug about the football team. I'm on it but we really don't get any special treatment and the volleyball team is where all the money goes. Parents are the ones who have to pay for a lot of our things and we even have to do an actual chocolate sale for funding. Just kinda sucks how we easily have the most difficult sport and while the volleyball team gets everything they want, a renovated gym (wasn't just for them but still) and a bag of chips. We have to have chocolate sale for a goal post on our small field. Just saying if I'm gonna play football I'd like some perks...earned of course...I'm gonna go lay in a tub of ice my body hurts.
Try playing a real contact sport like Rugby union and then complain