Has/did your school ever pull a dick move?

bpm195

May 21, 2008
My high school had a strict lateness policy where if you were late more than three times in a month you lost your privileges for two months. This was a large magnet school in Philadelphia; literally thousands of us depended on mas transit to get to class. In December of that year there were three incidents that caused severe delays on the subway. Of the 700 seniors nearly 300 of us lost our privileges to these delays, and the school offered no sympathy. To make it worse, they cancelled our Valentine's Day dance because of "lack of interest" when in reality too few students were able to come.

EtriusGraiv

Apr 24, 2011
In elemntary school, if something bad happened it was the Gr.6 boys who did it and would be punished for it immediatly until it was proven who really did it, and 95% of the time it was some hyperactive 3rd grader that had done similar stuff before.

Our school also did a "healthy food" thing but nobody cared and just went to th local convient store to buy stuff. Eventually the store got wise and jacked up the prices to the point where you could buy a 2L bottle of pop for cheaper than a 1L beacuse that was the size everyone bought.

in highschool we had one teacher that decided she did not want to teach our class. She would write on the white-board at the front of the class "Read pages _____ to ______, do questions ___ to ___ on page ___, ___ to ___ on page ____" and so on and so forth and her "teaching" would be to yell at us to focus on our work every 15 min or so. Rarely were any of these assignments ask for, small or large, and it got to the point where everyone would just discuss the question with each other and/or jot the answers down in quick point form. We would understand the material we just didn't want to write what we already knew in paragraph answers if we weren't going to get marks for our work.

Then randomly she would ask for them to be handed in and everyone would get horrible marks because we "didn't explain ourselves or didn't bother to answer at all" and that we "spend too much time screwing around and will all fail and yada yada yada". We would then tell her that we would like her to go over the material with us so we would understand and be able to asked questions and she would do that.... for about a day and then nothing.

Also, when report cards were close to coming out the teachers would hand us sheets that listed al the stuff we had gotten marked on and what we got on it so we could see if everything was handed in. Sometimes there were things that were marked as handed in AND had a mark on the sheet, but she would ask for it a few days later ro be marked which we couldn't because she hadn't givin them back yet. then she would yell at the student fo not completing the assignment. Even if we showed her the she sheet SHE HAD GIVIN US that it was handed in and marked she would just say that she didn't know where is was so whatever. Got 40% on that assignment even though you thought you did well and want to know what was wrong and what you were missing? too bad.

When it got really bad was when she gave us a massive assignment (I spent the entire class (1 1/2 hours), pluss my spare (another 1 1/2 hours), plus my entire time once i got home, minus a 15 min supper and a bathroom break until i finished it at about 11pm (so another 7hours or so)) that was "due" the next day. We handed it in and she gave us all top marks! I wish.

Never so much as mentioned the assignment again. When she began giving us a new project we asked her if she was going to take it in or go over it with us or SOMETHING! nope. Then the whole class freaked out (on the boarder of grabing torches and pitchforks) about how rediculous the whole thing was. She said fine, she would mark it. Which..... backfired a little because it was so much work only 3 of us had actually done it.

She was also the teacher assigned to help our class organize our gradution. There is a music festival near my hometown that a bunch of the local kids would get together and go see (not much of anything happens in my hometown so this event was a BIG deal), but for the past few years grad ended up being the same weekend as the festival. The year before i took note of the next year's date and told her at the beginning of the gr. 12 year that this was the weekend it was on and to NOT schedual grad for that weekend. I'll give you one guess which weekend she slapped it on. When I asked her about it she said that they had to co-ordinate the grads with other schools in the division so that they didn't conflict and that this was the weekend we got this year and it was too late to change.

We hated her and she hated us for the rest of the year.

And just before our grade 12 year the school division decided to do a big shuffle with the principles because the one in the next town over was retiring. They had a new guy, but did they just replace him? nope. The division decided to move ours (who was an excellent teacher, very fair, always made time for any problem for question and pretty much an all around good guy. not everyone liked him, but everyone had a world of respect for him) to replace the retired one, move another schools principle (who was pretty much the opposite) to us, move ANOTHER towns principle to replace him and put the new guy in the vacant spot. pretty much shattered my good hopes for that year in the first week and now i have his name signed on my diploma.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
yep one year we were all supposed to go to six flags but it was cancelled after a mix up of some kind and all but a select few were able to go.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
My teacher kicked a door into my face once...on purpose....its ok though..we played counterstrike later. And in my senior year he played SC with us....was pro was shit.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
SirBryghtside said:
Ugh... got into 6th form today, and I already hate the school again.

In your free time - that's time when you don't have lessons - you have to stay in school.

I mean... seriously, what? What's the point in that?
It's because they think you will fail if you're not studying 24/7 and they don't trust you to study at home.

Lower sixth in my school have always had that, and now just when I get into upper 6th it's taken away from us as well (though to be fair, some of my year probably deserved it, and they will give us the privilege back after the first half term so long as our reviews are good).

The biggest dick move my school has played was forking out a quite frankly ludicrous amount of money on a merger with a nearby school that we didn't even need just so the headmaster could feel like he actually had some balls.

Meanwhile there were plenty of other things that needed spending money on urgently. However, because the school now has no money left in the budget spending across all departments has been cut to zero for at least the first half of this year, and probably beyond.

Does this make any sense... to anyone... at all?
It makes perfect sense to me, the complainers in the minority will always beat the majority in things like that. Why? Because people are idiots. 1 person out of 10,000 gets offended, stop the show shit got too real. Pisses me off.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
my jr high had an effing dress code based around polo shirts, and basically only 3 colors, and now there are restrictions on pants, pockets, even bloody shoelaces! and everyone there basically smokes, stupid morons.

my high school was effing awesome, but there were stupid effing seniors my junior year that were let in through the stage crew ceiling entrance, and they painted 'grafitti' on the commons floor. they were all caught, like, the next day and they were kept from graduating regardless of their progress.

serves the arrogant dickweeds right.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Jakub324 said:
My school always started at 7. If it had started at 9, I don't think I would ever have been able to complain about anything.

On the other hand, the primary, middle, and high schools I attended all had had some bizarre rule against ever wearing hats. The rationale at each school was that it was to "prevent gang violence" because gangs were using hats to show allegiance. Except the city I grew up in didn't really have any gangs to speak of. I remember one administrator once suggesting that there was a "gang fight" at the high school about a decade before where one kid had a cap turned backwards and the other turned sideways, which the administration took to be a signal that they were in "different gangs". And they wouldn't ever answer the question as to why they needed to ban hats when they had already banned things that could be construed as a gang sign (parents brought this particular bit of weirdness up more or less every year). To make things even more absurd, parents complained about not being able to send kids to school with hats when it was cold out, so they instituted an exception such that, between two certain dates, beanies (and only beanies) were acceptable.

To make matters even stranger, some of the administrators didn't seem to care about the ban at all, yet upheld their own personal ban on wearing hats whenever there was a ceiling overhead (including the open-air halls). They would actually stand around in the morning for the express purpose of making sure no one wore hats inside.

And to make things even more ridiculous, I don't think I ever saw a single girl told to remove a hat, despite them wearing them with far more frequency.

In short, each of my schools had been in the throes of a headware-based moral panic for about the past two decades when I attended.

krickit

Jan 16, 2011
We, as the students raised thirty grand for new computers. We haven't heard anything of it since.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Shakomaru said:
Blablahb said:
Kwaku Avoke said:
Just kinda sucks how we easily have the most difficult sport and while the volleyball team gets everything they want
As a kickboxer who also appears in competitions, I can't help but grin as a matter of general principle.

What is it with American Football players and thinking their sport is tough? Running around and bumping into people in full armour is nothing.
Well...
But seriously, the armour just makes it ridiculous. I was playing two hand touch with my friends, I'm the smallest person there, and also the only one who doesn't play sports much. I smash into one of my teammates at full speed and get elbowed right in the chest. I lost my breath, and all the other stuff that happens when you have that happen to you. Five minutes later I'm back in. Why is the armour necessary? it doesn't even stop most of the injuries! Dumb americans...

But I'm off track. Let's see here. the worst thing is that my school banned carrying backpacks around with you for a while because some stupid kid wearing one was jumping back and fourth through a closing gym partition and was killed because he got trapped. I actually haven't had anything bad happen to me... *shrug*
And they think they have hard practices, it's kind of funny Footballers? Football players? are some of the most spoiled wimpy students athletes ever.
Spoiled? Wimpy? You watch to many movies where the rich school with fancy equipment gets beat by the rag tag underdogs down the hill and try staying in 3-point stance position for an hour and a half.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
My school seemed to think that not complaining abou he canteen food was bad. They changed hand about 4 times. They stopped changing when we started complaining about the quality of the food.
Seriously, it's like they didn't want us to spend anything there.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Yup, my school got rid of the dividers between urinals to "battle homophobia."
I'm guessing that nobody explained how that was supposed to work.

OT: I can really only think of two things from my elementary school, 1: the breakfasts, god help you if you were ever forced to eat breakfast at this school, for one they used some weird instant scrambled eggs that tasted like the concentrated essence of horribleness in a soft fluffy mass. For two they had these muffins you see, well the cafeteria people used them to make these Sausage McMuffin type deals, but most reasonable humans would've used them to make a fucking wall, since they were about as soft and edible as cinder blocks.

2: The Yard Duties (That's what we called the teachers who monitored everything during recess) did not even give half a fuck for any of us. This may be a bit tainted by bad memories (public school was not a happy place in that town), but I remember maybe one time when they stepped in to stop anything. All the other times it seemed that you would literally have to kill somebody for them to do shit.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Free time? Just remember, however you look at it, one hour of free time is indefinitely more than zero. The amount we get.

And, one of the best ones, the AP US History department is infamous for its amount of work, and they got so many complaints from parents, and from the local community college whose summer APUSH classes were being filled because it's easier, that they had to tone down the work, and it still amounted to 3-4 hours on a regular day.

And every teacher naturally sees their class in its own bubble, not taking into account the fact that every other class is assigning close to the same amount of work. So it would usually add up to 6-8 hours a night. Sleep wasn't a natural process, it was preparation for the tests you have the next day, and was scheduled in between assignments.

I guess it makes sense, seeing how that school was ranked 47 in the nation, and almost everyone who graduates says college is easier.

Basically, it's four years of the school slapping you with its dick while its friend stands on your back forcing you do to one-handed push ups, but it pays off. Somehow.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I go to a community college and they pushed credits needed to graduate up three credits. It may not seem like a lot but those three credits were for three one credit courses that had little to nothing to do with my major, computer networking. To elaborate they want me to take Intro to accounting, intro to psychology and pc keyboarding.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Oh where to fucking start... I've been screwed over by pretty much every school I've ever been in (that would be 8 schools in total if you don't know me) and they each seemed to have gotten worse.

However, most recently was when I started (or attempted to) college a few weeks ago and, since they're fucking stupid and decided it would be a good idea to handle every aspect of registering/applying online rather than it be physical, I've had to go in a total of 17 times in the course of just one week trying to fix it after the system kicked me out. Then again when their crap computers dropped all my classes, three times now. So, I've been on the phone with them, been to the school, wandered back and forth from different headmasters, administrators and teachers trying to solve the problem and this has been going on for 3 weeks now. I've attended classes but they don't count of course since I'm always dropped by the time I get in, so it doesn't really matter at all.

Funny little bit about this though; they've blamed me for it all throughout this entire time. I've done nothing to this in the least *shifty eyes and coughs >.>* but they still blame me for the problem(s) even though I use Apple computers and they just recently told me their system doesn't work on a fucking Mac. Who does that? When half of your students use Macs.... you don't make your applications work on Macs? What the hell is wrong with you people?

And best part about all this; I don't even want to fucking go ¬_¬

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Kwaku Avoke said:
artanis_neravar said:
Shakomaru said:
Blablahb said:
Kwaku Avoke said:
Just kinda sucks how we easily have the most difficult sport and while the volleyball team gets everything they want
As a kickboxer who also appears in competitions, I can't help but grin as a matter of general principle.

What is it with American Football players and thinking their sport is tough? Running around and bumping into people in full armour is nothing.
Well...
But seriously, the armour just makes it ridiculous. I was playing two hand touch with my friends, I'm the smallest person there, and also the only one who doesn't play sports much. I smash into one of my teammates at full speed and get elbowed right in the chest. I lost my breath, and all the other stuff that happens when you have that happen to you. Five minutes later I'm back in. Why is the armour necessary? it doesn't even stop most of the injuries! Dumb americans...

But I'm off track. Let's see here. the worst thing is that my school banned carrying backpacks around with you for a while because some stupid kid wearing one was jumping back and fourth through a closing gym partition and was killed because he got trapped. I actually haven't had anything bad happen to me... *shrug*
And they think they have hard practices, it's kind of funny Footballers? Football players? are some of the most spoiled wimpy students athletes ever.
Spoiled? Wimpy? You watch to many movies where the rich school with fancy equipment gets beat by the rag tag underdogs down the hill and try staying in 3-point stance position for an hour and a half.
No I went to high school, you know that place where football players think they are tough shit? They get everything they need paid for, uniforms, banquets, states, ect - hence the spoiled part. They couldn't even do a single day of one of my teams practices were we could do any of theirs - hence wimpy

phohouse

Mar 13, 2010
I must be pretty lucky, because the only dick move my school ever pulled happened in fourth grade. There were a few months were it got really cold, like below 50 or 40. But my teacher would not let anyone wear jackets or anything because she thought we might play with them. Half the class was out sick for a week after that...