Has NASA Made First Contact?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:
God damn it they are talking about microbes from earth... They are not carbon based from what I understand and that's what so "great" about them :(.

Boo hoo. No grey aliens on the conference.

I'm filled with disappointment.
Dude, they just announced that there is life made of fucking poison. How can that not blow your mind?

Today, arsenic bacterias. Tomorrow? Who knows, maybe PREDATORS somewhere on the universe made out of this thing.

Xenomorphs don't look too crazy now, huh?
Oh I know I know... It IS mind blowing. It's just kinda funny how people went all "first contact!!!" over the internet ;).
And I guess they kinda caught me in the hype ;).

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
MadeinHell said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:
God damn it they are talking about microbes from earth... They are not carbon based from what I understand and that's what so "great" about them :(.

Dude, they just announced that there is life made of fucking poison. How can that not blow your mind?

Today, arsenic bacterias. Tomorrow? Who knows, maybe PREDATORS somewhere on the universe made out of this thing.

Oh I know I know... It IS mind blowing. It's just kinda funny how people went all "first contact!!!" over the internet ;).
Technically it is first contact...with uber poisonous microbes 'cause that's what they're made of.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Well I hope they didn't find a hostile alien species... that'd su-Assuming Direct Control

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:

Technically it is first contact...with uber poisonous microbes 'cause that's what they're made of.
you know what the best first contact would be?
if one of you were actually an alien!

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
General BrEeZy said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:

Are you calling me an uber poisonous microbe?

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not disappointed at all. I expected the news to be something like this. But, it isn't even an amazing discovery. This just comes to show us how uptight and conservative our scientists are, which isn't good for mankind overall. It means we a crawling at a snail's pace in terms of discoveries. That explains why we still don't have hoverboards and flying cars.

And, when they find a proof of intelligent life, eventually, the hype before the official press conference will be a thousand times bigger. It will be spectacular.

BrEnNo1023

Mar 18, 2009
I'd wager that with our current tech, the chances of us actually finding other life *out there* are astronomically larger than other life finding us first...think about it, of course it's human nature to fantasise about a domineering race annihilating us with superior technology, or harvesting our bodies in search for a cure for their fatal vulnerability to bacteria...not this arsenic bacteria either. They'd probably experiment with IT like some sort of party drug while their scientist castes (strains?) do the whole desperate research for survival thing to counter their convenient lack of immune systems. Really, the only life we'll more than likely find is simple bacteria on some faraway planet in a different star system...hundreds of years from now. Who really wants to hear that in a news broadcast about NASA though?

But of course a first contact scenario would be way cooler if it played out like this...

It's the cylons...they've come back.
We're screwed.
Okay here's the plan...I'll buy tricia helfer a drink...save myself, and try not to give out any nuclear launch codes (no promises though, seriously she's pretty hot). You guys can just do whatever, but have fun, make it the good type of fun. No looting the streets now.

Okay...in all seriousness, NASA left their statement as ambiguous as possible, and then later simply announced they'd found some new poison bacteria in America that proves impossible life is possible :p it's the classic media tease.

*wanders innocuously off-topic again*

Let's stick to our sci-fi, the creativity of other creative minds will keep our curiosity sated...for now.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
unabomberman said:
General BrEeZy said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:
unabomberman said:
MadeinHell said:

Are you calling me an uber poisonous microbe?
i didnt think of it like that.
..whatever floats your boat!

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I've got to be honest there must be something out there, and being Brtish (and therefore synical) my first reaction is to think that they will probably want to kill us all and mine earth for rescources.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Umm, aren't they talking about the carbon-arsenic bacteria that they've already announced?

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Life that uses a heavy metal in place of phosphorus (a pretty important part of both genetic material and various energy transport molecules)? Holy fuck yes. This is PROPER SCience (note the capital "SC"). We're advancing the field of biological knowledge by a massive leap, there. And it also means that Transformers Animated / Beast Wars looks that little bit more plausible all of a sudden.

Now where's the ones that use Silicon instead of Carbon?

Speaking as a sort-of-ex-biologist, it is just epically cool to have lived through something like that being found. And actually looking across other things on NASA's website, they're involved in some seriously heavyweight wibbly-wobbly sciency-wiency stuff. It's all just, like, wow.

I wish that hadn't come out quite so Valley, but it's temporarily imploded my common sense cortex.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Dr. Paine said:
Probably primitive bacteria.

... still awesome.
That's also what I expect, I mean I wouldn't expect something growing up in an entirely different solar system to be that similar. The word 'humanoid' comes from human so chances are it won't be so :eek:

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
KRbertsproduck5 said:
IT'S... IT'S... IT'S... boring
Your avatar works well for saying that. Also, PIRATES, ARE IN THIS YEAR!

But, why don't we ever do anything with space bacteria, like make cheese with it or something?

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
jaketheripper said:
*snip*
then ill make a game about you! it shall be called...Half life 2:episode three.... oh wait thats never gunna be made :p

NO! LALALALALA! I cant hear you! LALALALALALA!

OT: This is pretty big news.. They have suspected silicon based lifeforms to be a possibility on different planets and this kinda reinforces that idea.