"Hatred" Reveal Trailer. Or as I like to call it, "The Next Big Controversy"

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
sataricon said:
So you do think that playing a video game can turn you into a psychotic killer?
Wow.... Jack Thompson would be happy to hear that.
Umm.. No.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
DoctorImpossible said:
A few of the developers have apparent links to white supremacist groups: http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis
"In this photo of the development team, we can see that one of the developers wears a shirt depicting a historical anti-communist military group (Żołnierze wyklęci, historically associated with the Freikorps)".

I see nothing wrong with this. Poland suffered greatly under Communism.

Also, I saw none of these poor "people of color" being killed in the trailer so these folks can fuck off.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Mezahmay said:
Let's see...washed-out color palette except for red, check. White male protagonist, check. No advertised mechanic except for shooting, check. No story to overcomplicate the situation, check.

Yup, looks like game design by numbers. Don't care. Won't purchase. Only difference I noticed immediately between this awful shooter and other awful shooters lately is that this guy is literally nameless instead of figuratively nameless and his trench coat has extra-dimensional pockets.
Seriously. Did he steal that bag from Harry Potter and just put it in the right side of his jacket? If so I want that jacket.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Toblo1 said:
Trailer is disturbing as fuck, and I assume the game will be disturbing too, but I see a positive side to this thing....

If the game is deliberately trying to be controversial, then there's a good chance that Jim will rip this game a new A**hole on an episode of Jimqusition. Because a game like this is the last thing we need in gaming's current situation and this one needs to be shut down. HARD.
If Jim does say this game needs to be shut the he'd be a hypocrite considering that episode where he asked for more games where u get to play the villain

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
DoctorImpossible said:
A few of the developers have apparent links to white supremacist groups: http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis

I'm hesitant to use any source that comes from tumblr

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Antonio Scott said:
I find it kinda stupid how people are upset at this tbh. The method to the madness of the game aside, the fact that people are opposed to this while in other games and media people can be killed with reckless abandon and no one bats an eye. All they have to do is make sure they affiliate with some opposing group and all sins are absolved.
The concept you are looking for is called 'context'. Since we're unfortunately not living in a world in which any given act can be classified as either being absolutely wrong or absolutely right we have to contextualise.

To wit: the act of taking something is generally considered value neutral. Taking your own property is okay, taking somebody else's property is not.

The act of killing, meanwhile, is generally considered a bad thing. Killing someone on purpose gets you convicted for murder, killing an assailant in self defence does not.

And finally the act of saving a life is generally considered a good thing. Saving children from a burning orphanage gets you applause, saving Pol Pot from a burning orphanage... not so much.

As to video games, you're right: Affiliate the killing with an opposing group and give said opposing group something 'evil' to do and you're sorted. Change the context by making the people you're slaughtering innocent victims and you're begging for controversy. See how it works?

So, now that you're equipped with that tasty morsel of (common sense) knowledge you may hopefully see why people might be a bit upset.

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
Norithics said:
Oh my god, can I get that voice actor hired personally??

"I've watched The Crow seventeen thousand times."
"My life has been a blurred miasma of Faces of Death and slim jims."
"The plural is just 'anime,' Mom."
Totally agree, I want that guy to do all my outgoing voicemail...
"I tried, but the world just wouldn't let me get to your call, so now you'll have to wait. For the beep"....

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
From the Website:
These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment ? we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.
Wow. I wish I lived in whatever imagination land they do.

The game looks exactly like something a secretly neo-nazi person would make. Or an un-ironic metal head.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Part of me wonders if this was commissioned by people who genuinely hate videogames and/or the people trying to change videogames "for the better"...

Because it kind of looks like Starwman: The Game to me; something manufactured purely to paint the industry and gamers as crazy people. It plays on just about every prejudice and it seems to be doing it on purpose.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
It looks pretty cool from the mechanical stand point. Destructible walls and such and the noir style has its charm.
As for the premise this is going to start a shit storm.

Plague Inc has been mentioned and while it's far worse in what it depicts it does it less graphically. (I love it by the way.) It remained under the radar as it feels more like your working with statistics instead of going from person to person and injecting them with the disease.

While it would be fun to fool around with the game I don't think it will be as popular as Postal as it only has seems to have one objective; Just kill. And that gets boring after a while.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This is a comedy, right? 'cause there is no way in hell that character is intimidating.

Irick

Apr 18, 2012
Quadocky said:
From the Website:
These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment ? we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure.
Wow. I wish I lived in whatever imagination land they do.
*shrug*
If it's an actual reactionary piece against a movement, then hey, that's interesting in and of itself. Maybe we can consider it some sort of anti-art dadaism in a video game form, depending on how bad it ends up being.
Though honestly, I still think Sluggish Morss does it better
Quadocky said:
Or an un-ironic metal head.
I thought that was Brutal Legend :3
I think metal has gotten a lot of New Sincerity attention recently, not a lot of people ironically liking metal.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
xPixelatedx said:
Part of me wonders if this was commissioned by people who genuinely hate videogames and/or the people trying to change videogames "for the better"...

Because it kind of looks like Starwman: The Game to me; something manufactured purely to paint the industry and gamers as crazy people. It plays on just about every prejudice and it seems to be doing it on purpose.
Reminder: one of the most popular video game franchises in the world is named after a felony and enables people to go on killing-sprees.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Haha, ok, let's see if we really are the assholes people brand us to be...
Call me back when you have some sales figures.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:

Reminder: one of the most popular video game franchises in the world is named after a felony and enables people to go on killing-sprees.
That is done very tongue in cheek with a dark humor context, that's why you can use jet-packs, go in submarines and have subtitles like ballad of gay tony. It's still very "Video Gamey", but this doesn't seem like that at all. This seems more "Columbine", and done so entierly with a straight face.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
We don't even know what the finished product is like. Spec Ops The Line looked like a generic shooter about killing Muslims but when you played it was an absolute mastery of storytelling.

Hatred could have a similar commentary behind it

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
xPixelatedx said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:

That is done very tongue in cheek with a dark humor context, that's why you can use jet-packs, go in submarines and have subtitles like ballad of gay tony. It's still very "Video Gamey", but this doesn't seem like that at all. This seems more "Columbine", and done so entierly with a straight face.
Some people still took issue with the game in spite of all that. A good example being Gamespot's reviewer who found the game ''profoundly misogynistic'' among other things. The way I see it, a work doesn't have to be exempt from criticism just because it's ''satire'', and if people are allowed to take issue with the way a game like GTA depicts women why shouldn't they be allowed to take issue with the way it depicts violence?

QuicklyAcross

Mar 11, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
xPixelatedx said:

Some people still took issue with the game in spite of all that. A good example being Gamespot's reviewer who found the game ''profoundly misogynistic'' among other things. The way I see it, a work doesn't have to be exempt from criticism just because it's ''satire'', and if people are allowed to take issue with the way a game like GTA depicts women why shouldn't they be allowed to take issue with the way it depicts violence?
Then id suggest that both you and the journalists who take issue with "the way its being presented" actually come up with a way to show the "correct" way of presenting violence and adult themes in video games.
Without making it more "cinematic" so to speak

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
QuicklyAcross said:
Then id suggest that both you and the journalists who take issue with "the way its being presented" actually come up with a way to show the "correct" way of presenting violence and adult themes in video games.
Without making it more "cinematic" so to speak
I really don't see what you're getting at with that bolded part, especially what you're referring to when you say ''cinematic''.

That said, I do believe that people should be able to criticize the way violence is presented in a video game (or games, period) without being dismissed as an idiot (see: the Jimquisition-episode Desensitized to Violence, among other things). In fact, I feel that gaming culture's unwillingness to do so (even though folks like Jack Thompson are no longer a ''threat'' so to speak) is holding it (both the medium and the community) back.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
It doesn't look like a game I would play. It has reminded me that I haven't yet played the Postal games, so I suppose that's a positive.