Have you ever felt a deep, personal hatred towards an NPC?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
aLivingPheonix said:
You can kill children in Fallout 2?

I also gotta add Padme, in Lego Star Wars. Man, was she annoying. She constantly shot me when I tried to help her lazy ass fighting Battle Droids.
You can. Back when it came out you didn't have whiny social-commentators talking about murder simulators on Fox News (well ok, you DID have those, but they were less noisy and nobody listened to them). Unfortunately now we have the "Children are Sacrosanct" unwritten rule in games, no matter how many times you want to take a minigun to Little Lamplight or torch orphans in Fable.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Liara T'Soni in Mass Effect 1 earned a particular amount of annoyance from me for a number of reasons. Part of that was due to annoyance that this shy, awkward nerdy girl had to join my team of certified badasses on a mission to save the galaxy (I admit though that we kind of needed her help) but mostly it was because of how she was romanced.

I really hate the idea of the perfect love interest being this shy awkward damsel in distress type who nervously makes approaches at you and seems in awe of your greatness. I have always found this fantasy very immature, Liara is personified as the ideal girlfriend with all the smarts and prettiness and friendliness combined with the degree of awkwardness and hero worship, but there always felt like there was a lack of genuine personality and chemistry.

After a while I got really sick of hearing her awkwardly talking to me and maintaining that after all of two conversations between us that there must be some kind of romantic connection between us. Plus her being nice all the time just isn't normal or believable. Plus, perhaps most annoying of all, they make sure to let me know that she's a virgin.

I mean really? The shy awkward but very sexy geekling develops a damsel in distress style crush on the big tough rugged manly hero and if they consummate their relationship it means that she has given him her virginity? I'm sorry but that fantasy always rubbed me off the wrong way, I can accept the sexy blue chick idea but at the same time Liara just bugged the crap out of me.

From her constantly getting headaches and nearly passing out after doing the meld, for constantly asking really dumb questions where the answer was obvious, from being so helpless that she latches on to whatever tough authority figure happens to be nearby for protection, to automatically announcing feelings for Shepard almost as soon as she arrives on the Normandy and for being awkward out of a seemingly complete lack of self esteem.... I cannot fathom why her romance was so popular.

Seriously, Ashley was in my own opinion miles better than Liara. True she was tough and aggressive but the flaws made her feel more real, her attitude gave her much more personality and in her romance she wasn't shy or awkward about expressing herself sexually. She remains jokey and self assured and independent and to me at least, always seemed like Shepard's equal.

To her credit, Liara does get better in Mass Effect 2. Stronger, more determined, tougher and more confident and in control. I suppose one can technically argue then that it was a major part of growing up between the two games but still I don't feel that makes the romance in Mass Effect 1 any better. But for what its worth, if the current version of Liara T'soni was present in Mass Effect 1 I might have been more inclined to give her a shot.

Plus what's kind of annoying is that because she is guaranteed to live she also gets all this extra attention. She gets a comic where it is made clear that she is Shepard's savior, she then gets a huge story arc and a giant slab of DLC all to herself (including pretty much getting the rights to the ideal 'reunion' romance scene) and yet more guarantee to live to the third game.
It goes without saying that she'll be the 'canon' romance in the Mass Effect movie, I mean by Christ everything about the games so far seems to be telling me that Liara should have been the way that I go and the actual romance subplot that I liked was one that will be eclipsed by Liara.

Look I have a lot of respect to the Liara fanbase, they've been good to me and all the other Ashley/Kaiden fans on the Bioware social network. I repeat that Liara come Lair of the Shadow Broker and how she was portrayed in Mass Effect 2 is a vast improvement over what she was before and I could even go so far as to say that she is now 'awesome', but I still didn't like her romance in Mass Effect 1 and I am really bitter about the lack of any attention I get as an Ashley fan in Mass Effect 2. So perhaps that element of spite is also a reason.

Just to be be clear, I mean no offense to anyone.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Moneybags from Spyro. It felt good to absolutely destroy him in the end to the third game and get all my gems back...

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Celestil said:
Bowser, Fuck bowser.Stealing my stars or coins. though i have to give him little props on how persistent he is trying to get Peach but still..oh and that weird flying machine he has? i coulda sworn that was Dr.Eggman's thing to have weird vehicles. Hes just a complete dick.
Only thing that's missing from Bowser is the wrecking ball.

sixinthehood

Nov 11, 2009
I wouldn't say its an npc, but....... The autosave system in Mass Effect, I have lost SOOOOO much time because that thing wouldn't do its job (what? The elevators aren't safe/long enough for it?). I never just stop playing a game... until now >:|

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
MR T3D said:
M. Roussi...that magnificent bastard
This.

Also, Moira fucking Brown from Fallout 3, and every kupo-spouting Moogle.

Zaeed from ME2, Ashley from ME1.

Oh, and pretty much every supporting Final Fantasy character, especially Yuffie, Steiner, Wakka, and every so-called character in FFXIII.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
That jackass "sidekick" Jay from X-Blades. I was actually happy when the end-game rolled around.

Jay gets killed... by you, the player. It's a bad ending, but a nice one all the same.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Yes. Hope and Vanille from FFXIII.

Also, Rikku from FFX.

I don't like "peppy" people. Nor do I like whiny 12 year olds with boomerangs, who constantly gasp and splutter their way through life. Seriously, go play FFXIII again. Roughly 40% of Hope's "dialogue" involves him making little annoying wheezing and gasping sounds like he's a fish out of water.

Oh and Rico. Damn you Rico.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Vrex360 said:
Liara T'Soni in Mass Effect 1 earned a particular amount of annoyance from me for a number of reasons. Part of that was due to annoyance that this shy, awkward nerdy girl had to join my team of certified badasses on a mission to save the galaxy (I admit though that we kind of needed her help) but mostly it was because of how she was romanced.

I really hate the idea of the perfect love interest being this shy awkward damsel in distress type who nervously makes approaches at you and seems in awe of your greatness. I have always found this fantasy very immature, Liara is personified as the ideal girlfriend with all the smarts and prettiness and friendliness combined with the degree of awkwardness and hero worship, but there always felt like there was a lack of genuine personality and chemistry.

After a while I got really sick of hearing her awkwardly talking to me and maintaining that after all of two conversations between us that there must be some kind of romantic connection between us. Plus her being nice all the time just isn't normal or believable. Plus, perhaps most annoying of all, they make sure to let me know that she's a virgin.

I mean really? The shy awkward but very sexy geekling develops a damsel in distress style crush on the big tough rugged manly hero and if they consummate their relationship it means that she has given him her virginity? I'm sorry but that fantasy always rubbed me off the wrong way, I can accept the sexy blue chick idea but at the same time Liara just bugged the crap out of me.

From her constantly getting headaches and nearly passing out after doing the meld, for constantly asking really dumb questions where the answer was obvious, from being so helpless that she latches on to whatever tough authority figure happens to be nearby for protection, to automatically announcing feelings for Shepard almost as soon as she arrives on the Normandy and for being awkward out of a seemingly complete lack of self esteem.... I cannot fathom why her romance was so popular.

Seriously, Ashley was in my own opinion miles better than Liara. True she was tough and aggressive but the flaws made her feel more real, her attitude gave her much more personality and in her romance she wasn't shy or awkward about expressing herself sexually. She remains jokey and self assured and independent and to me at least, always seemed like Shepard's equal.

To her credit, Liara does get better in Mass Effect 2. Stronger, more determined, tougher and more confident and in control. I suppose one can technically argue then that it was a major part of growing up between the two games but still I don't feel that makes the romance in Mass Effect 1 any better. But for what its worth, if the current version of Liara T'soni was present in Mass Effect 1 I might have been more inclined to give her a shot.

Plus what's kind of annoying is that because she is guaranteed to live she also gets all this extra attention. She gets a comic where it is made clear that she is Shepard's savior, she then gets a huge story arc and a giant slab of DLC all to herself (including pretty much getting the rights to the ideal 'reunion' romance scene) and yet more guarantee to live to the third game.
It goes without saying that she'll be the 'canon' romance in the Mass Effect movie, I mean by Christ everything about the games so far seems to be telling me that Liara should have been the way that I go and the actual romance subplot that I liked was one that will be eclipsed by Liara.

Look I have a lot of respect to the Liara fanbase, they've been good to me and all the other Ashley/Kaiden fans on the Bioware social network. I repeat that Liara come Lair of the Shadow Broker and how she was portrayed in Mass Effect 2 is a vast improvement over what she was before and I could even go so far as to say that she is now 'awesome', but I still didn't like her romance in Mass Effect 1 and I am really bitter about the lack of any attention I get as an Ashley fan in Mass Effect 2. So perhaps that element of spite is also a reason.

Just to be be clear, I mean no offense to anyone.
YES - YOU SIR/MADAM, SPEAK THE TRUTH!

Why do I care

Jan 13, 2010
*Searching HATE archive...*

*Target found!*

*Target: Navi*

*Reason: HEY HEY LISTEN! HEY HEY HEY HEY WATCH OUT!*

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
After thinking about it, I have come up with a short list.

Moira Brown from Fallout 3 was particularly annoying since she was overly chipper about me hurting myself for her benefit.
Kendra Daniels from Dead Space for spoiler reasons and just being a *****.
Dr. Mercer from Dead Space for creating that regenerating Necromorph and locking me in the room with it several times.
The Council from Mass Effect for not realizing that Saren was clearly a traitor.
General Shepherd from Modern Warfare 2 for being a massive dick and for spoiler reasons.
The final villians from Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 for being traitorous backstabbers and massive dicks.

This was all I could think off in the short time I spent thinking about it. I am very easily annoyed by NPCs, and if I could go through every game I played, I could probably pick out several people from each game that I hated.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Moneybags from Spyro. It felt good to absolutely destroy him in the end to the third game and get all my gems back...
I really, really have to second this notion. I hated the fat bastard so much that I had a save game dedicated to reloading in order to spank his ass again at the end of the game. Feels so good to charge into his fatass. Over...and over...again...

Crubex

Feb 19, 2010
"The Fan" from Oblivion, that little ass face from the arena who looks like a troll doll on fire. That, and anyone who has the balls to question me in a RPG while I'm on my evil playthrough. Seriously, I just killed 20 people in front of them, and they still think shouting "We hate you murderer!" is a good idea.

yamitami

Oct 1, 2009
Well, she's not an NPC given that she's a party member but there is no other character who's irritated me more than Shion Uzuki in Xenosaga. She's just such a damn Mary Sue. Everyone falls over themselves if anything's wrong with her and the writers keep trying to make us think she's smart with the glasses but she knows nothing about her own field of study! Not to mention her generally being really grating. Thank god Albedo hijacked the second half of the game and proceeded to be a complete psycho. Even though his little meeting with MOMO was creepy beyond reckoning I'd still rather watch that than do anything where Shion is talking.

yamitami

Oct 1, 2009
samaugsch said:
Celestil said:
Bowser, Fuck bowser.Stealing my stars or coins. though i have to give him little props on how persistent he is trying to get Peach but still..oh and that weird flying machine he has? i coulda sworn that was Dr.Eggman's thing to have weird vehicles. Hes just a complete dick.
Only thing that's missing from Bowser is the wrecking ball.
Or his fifty bastard children he throws at you. I actually wonder about that; in his plans where he actually keeps Peach for more than a day does he also keep his koopa harem?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
God... Damn... Zubats...

Seriously, is it really necessary for there to be a Zubat every 4 steps inside every cave of every Pokemon game for the past decade? I mean, c'mon Nintendo, really?

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Pokey, Earthbound and Mother 3. Just the fact that I couldn't beat his ass on multiple occasions and he left the area to create havoc... That SOB needed to get his butt kicked.