Have you ever knowingly bought a game that was "average"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I assume alot of us read game reveiws and such for info on games to buy, my question is ave you every put money into a game you knew was..well mabye not terrible but not overly loved eather?

and was it a good purchase?

my 3 games are:

Red faction Gurrella: this is actually a really cool game (so far) slighty reminiscant of Saints row 2 with an interesting setting

Alice madness returns: I can see how its not perfect...however its rather fun and a nice break from whats usually on offer

Kane and lych: I will call ignorance on this one..I dodnt know it was THAT bad..I just vaugley knew about it..I only played for about 5 minutes before going "nah..fuck this"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I bought the Conan game a few years back.

As mediocre as they come, but it was only 10 bucks and it was fun while it lasted.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Yeah, if it's in a genre that I really like and if it has some flaws that aren't as important to me or if I think I can overlook them fairly easily, and most importantly it's fairly cheap I'll consider picking it up. Example that springs to mind is Rise of the Kasai. I liked the first game (Mark of Kri) and love RotK despite its flaws, I was even playing it earlier today.

BryceS62

May 9, 2011
i did it was Eden a game on the PS2 a game based on four player co-op (which is stupid since the PS2 only has 2 controler ports) i looked and the box and could tell that it had bad graphics and shakey writing and i feel a little ashamed that i bought it. It was $2 and i honestly have never seen a game so dam cheep so i thought what the hey you get what you pay for i guess

Michailov

Oct 15, 2009
Dark Sector: Twas alright
Turok (360): THROATSLICINKNIFE SHALL LIVE IN MY MEMORIES FOREVER
Golden Axe Beast Rider (360): Only regrets
Facebreaker: Good times
Warhammer Mark of Chaos: meh
Castle Crashers: meh
Perfect Dark: regrets
Just Cause 2: alright
King Arthur Rpgwargame: had it for a year installed on steam. never played it.

an some more stuff

zach7fours

Apr 10, 2011
Duke Nukem. I bought it for the escape from COD. I have no regrets. I just wish it would LOAD FASTER

PoweD

Mar 26, 2009
Quantum of Solace,Kane and Lynch and Battlefield 2142.
I loved all of them though it was beaten to death for being mediocre by critics.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
zach7fours said:
Duke Nukem. I bought it for the escape from COD. I have no regrets. I just wish it would LOAD FASTER
Yeah that.
Except it turned from "okay" to "shit" after the first 2-3 hours, of course. I still don't regret buying it.

Woeps

Oct 18, 2010
I bought a lot of average games, atleast other people found them average.

But hey even average entertainment is entertainment and I had an excellent time with some of those games

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
I do it all the time, especially during Steam sales. There are only about 3-4 games a year that really get my interest and get good reviews, so I generally pick up some of the mediocre games on sale. Some examples:

Gothic 3? 4? Fuck, I forget which one now. The one that fans basically remade. It was GARBAGE, but I played it SOOOOO much. When I finished I just felt terrible for wasting so much time on it.

Fable 3 - Haven't played it much yet, but I've only ever heard that it is average at best. So far I agree.

Alpha Protocol - I didn't make it through the first mission before I decided I didn't really like it. I might go back as I hear it gets better, but we'll see...the controls just seem so poorly done!

Brink - I knew it would suck, but I bought it anyway. I even paid full price on this one, biggest mistake EVER. I got about five hours out of it.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I bought Dragon Age 2 and i couldn't regret it more.
I bought Saints Row 2 and it was alright.
I bought Saboteur and it was really good.

zach7fours

Apr 10, 2011
Naeras said:
zach7fours said:
Yeah that.
Except it turned from "okay" to "shit" after the first 2-3 hours, of course. I still don't regret buying it.
I would rather play a game like Duke than get shot in the back and tea bagged by people i hate over XBL.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Said it before and I'll say it again: Sonic Heroes, based on an advert for it I saw when I was about 11.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
zach7fours said:
Naeras said:
zach7fours said:
Yeah that.
I would rather play a game like Duke than get shot in the back and tea bagged by people i hate over XBL.
I solved both problems by not playing either. Like I said, the first two hours were actually rather fun. After that I went back and bought Giants: Citizen Kabuto for 3$ on GoG to have some more stupid laughs, this time combined with good gameplay as well.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I bought the THQ pack during the recent summer sale mostly for Homefront (and it helped it came with a lot of nice looking games that I figured I'd enjoy). It's supposed to be really average, but I haven't played it yet. I have had tons of games just sitting on Steam doing nothing as well.

Hristo Petrov

Nov 11, 2009
Final Fantasy x-2 I bought it 2 weeks ago and now i am watching the Spoony one tear it apart in his review

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I had heard a lot of mixed reviews about Bioshock 2, the majority being somewhat negative, but I went out and bought it anyway. Turned out to be mediocre, but it was cheap, so I don't really care.