Have you ever knowingly bought a game that was "average"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yup.

Brink. $90.00 AUD. Complete waste of money.

Dead Space 1+2. Ehhh... they were alright. Managed to hold my interest.

Far Cry 2. Got so many things right. But so many wrong. Got repetitive and outlived its welcome.

Killing Floor. Surprisingly, a ton of fun in spite of its simplicity.

F.E.A.R. 2. Once again, managed to hold my interest, but little more than that.

Yeah... I really should have learned my lesson by now.

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
Bought Viking: Battle for Asgard on a whim for not a lot of money. Played it twice now, so it was worth the tenner or whatever I paid for it.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
Fable 2, I heard lot's of bad reviews but I really enjoy fable, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising I heard bad things about this game but I really liked it, and Halo Reach again didn't heard good things from halo fans like me but I am a Halo fanboy so I bought it

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior.

The gameplay was nothing special, the mechanics were dull, the animations were stiff, the story was a bit weird even for W40K and the multiplayer felt tacked on.

However, the voice acting was fantastic, the level design was great, the soldier designs were nice, there was a good variety of 40K weapons to try out, the game did have some fun parts and the fact that it was a 40K FPS was awesome.

After playing the game at a friends house and realising all these things I still went out and purchased it despite all the flaws.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Vault101 said:
Kane and lych: I will call ignorance on this one..I dodnt know it was THAT bad..I just vaugley knew about it..I only played for about 5 minutes before going "nah..fuck this"
And I'll tell you this. Go and play Freedom Fighters on the PS2, then try Kane and Lynch again.

It's sad how much they had in the former game that makes you weep for the latter one.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Vault101 said:
I assume alot of us read game reveiws and such for info on games to buy, my question is ave you every put money into a game you knew was..well mabye not terrible but not overly loved eather?
TBH I don't listen to reviews that much. Most reviewers are paid off for positive reviews.

Also, why is a score under 80% considered to mean "This game is awful. Never buy it, EVER"? Certainly isn't like that with movies.

Also notice how often I fail utterly at quoting?

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
considering how infrequently good games are released, everyone pretty much has to resort to buying average games every once in a while. the most recent one i bought was far cry 2. not bad.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Sonic Rivals 2. It's a fairly decent "racing" game, plus, I generally enjoy most Sonic games.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Killing Floor(I haven't spent much time with it 'cause I don't know how my internet will hold up in multiplayer D:)
Alpha Protocol
Two Worlds Two

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Gindil said:
And I'll tell you this. Go and play Freedom Fighters on the PS2, then try Kane and Lynch again.

It's sad how much they had in the former game that makes you weep for the latter one.
Freedom Fighters is still one of my favorite games.

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
I bought dragon 2 and it was alright, I don't get why everyone hates on it so much. But then again I didn't really like da:eek:

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Back to the Future - I got it because it was not reviewed as bad and for nostalgia.

That being said, I've never payed full price for a game I expected to be average.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
I bought Operation Flashpoint DR
Knowing it was the worst military shooter in the history of existence.

But it only cost £3 so I can resell it for profit.

[Edit]
I had actually played it previously at a friend's house...

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Najos said:
Alpha Protocol - I didn't make it through the first mission before I decided I didn't really like it. I might go back as I hear it gets better, but we'll see...the controls just seem so poorly done!

Brink - I knew it would suck, but I bought it anyway. I even paid full price on this one, biggest mistake EVER. I got about five hours out of it.
with alpha protocol, keep playing. It does get better, even if the controls suck.

With brink, it sometimes takes 10 hours, but it becomes great. Even the reviewer on the escapist said that. It really gets good if you stick with it

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
I rented Nier because I had three days to do absolutely nothing. After beating it four times (the amount required to see all the content in the game), I returned it, vowing to buy it as soon as I had the money too. Three months later, I owned the game, and had received a 25 dollar gift card to Amazon for winning GameFAQs "Review of the Month" competition in the review I gave it. Fantastic game, even though the media response was "meh."

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
I'm about to plop down $40 on The Last Remnant on Steam.

I've already spent hours thoroughly enjoying the demo, so I'm relatively confident in my decision.

Raeil said:
Three months later, I owned the game, and had received a 25 dollar gift card to Amazon for winning GameFAQs "Review of the Month" competition in the review I gave it. Fantastic game, even though the media response was "meh."
Wanna share the link? I picked up Nier a couple weeks ago for next to nothing at a Blockbuster closing sale, but I've been too busy to try it yet. Maybe learning a bit more about it will motivate me. All I really know about it is it's the same team that made Drakengard, another average but awesome game.

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
All the time but I only buy them used because I don't want the studios to get rewarded too heavily rewarded for making below average games. Although, that being said, I do sometimes feel guilty afterwards if the game was perhaps not GREAT but it was a studios first attempt at something new, or their first game... You know what I mean.

But yeah, I do it all the. I like to buy games that get less than excellent reviews because they are generally a nice little romp that will kill 8-10 hours. Although, that being said, I bought the new Alien vs. Predator for £5. The prospect of playing Predator was great but the entire game was just really bad and I only did the first few chapters of each story before I traded it in.

However, I also bought Metro 2033 recently, knowing about it's mixed reviews and overall mediocre reception but I'm very glad I did buy it because I loved it. Yeah, I can see why it didn't do so well but I didn't let that ruin the overall experience for me and I'm just hoping that the sequel will iron out everything that people took issue with but still make is as unforgiving as the first.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Gindil said:
Vault101 said:
Kane and lych: I will call ignorance on this one..I dodnt know it was THAT bad..I just vaugley knew about it..I only played for about 5 minutes before going "nah..fuck this"

Same developer? didnt they also make the hitman games?
Chibz said:
Vault101 said:
I assume alot of us read game reveiws and such for info on games to buy, my question is ave you every put money into a game you knew was..well mabye not terrible but not overly loved eather?
TBH I don't listen to reviews that much. Most reviewers are paid off for positive reviews.

Also, why is a score under 80% considered to mean "This game is awful. Never buy it, EVER"? Certainly isn't like that with movies.

Also notice how often I fail utterly at quoting?
yeah thats....weird

anywya game reveiws are funny things...I guess when it comes down to it there are only two things that put me off

1.the reveiw is bad..like REALLY bad a %70 I'm fine with (then again the numbers are really all over the place)

2. Im not actually interested in the game...a game that gets 80% that Im REALLY not interested in as opoased to a game that gets a bit less but really gains my interest, perfect example being Alice, not so shining reveiws but interesting enough for me to get (at full price as well :/)

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I've bought a few sub par platformers just because it's hard to find any platformers at all right now.