Have you ever knowingly bought a game that was "average"

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
Fugitive Panda said:
I'm about to plop down $40 on The Last Remnant on Steam.

I've already spent hours thoroughly enjoying the demo, so I'm relatively confident in my decision.

Raeil said:
Three months later, I owned the game, and had received a 25 dollar gift card to Amazon for winning GameFAQs "Review of the Month" competition in the review I gave it. Fantastic game, even though the media response was "meh."
Wanna share the link? I picked up Nier a couple weeks ago for next to nothing at a Blockbuster closing sale, but I've been too busy to try it yet. Maybe learning a bit more about it will motivate me. All I really know about it is it's the same team that made Drakengard, another average but awesome game.
My review is here [http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/960450-nier/reviews], under "An 'Unsung' Hero." Technically, my review score should have been a 9/10 but I rounded down on a .5 instead of up accidentally.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Bought Assassins Creed Brotherhood a while back, not enough game play improvements from the ASC2 and a comparatively weak story, and I knew that beforehand I just wanted some more run, jump then stab goodness. I am glad I bought it second hand, it wasn't worth £40.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
A lot of my absolute favourite games are in the 70-ish range on the metacritic scale if that counts, which it seems it does considering the number of people who see anything lower than a mid 80's rating failure. but I've a high tolerance for bugs and overlooking flaws if there's something else I find rewarding about the experience. I mean I'll gladly admit that the combat in Vampire Bloodlines or Alpha Protocol is shit and both are imbalanced messes when it comes to gameplay, however I also adore both a fair bit for their roleplaying and dialogue elements.

Works the other way around as well. Temple of Elemental Evil has a mediocre plot and dialogue but absolutely brilliant combat and tactical game mechanics. Fantastic experience, I love it!

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
I've bought several. Alpha protocol was one of the most recent, and I really, really liked it. but I'm lucky in that I don't really fall foul of buying games I don't like :p

There was also pokémon snap and Xena on the N64 which I both purchased despite average reviews, and had a very good time with. It just comes down to personal taste. It's the same reason a lot of the most popular games these days really don't appeal to me.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I bought Alpha Protocol, Risen and Two Worlds II in the Steam sale recently, and I'm enjoying all of them quite a bit. Alpha Protocol's graphics are mediocre and the cover/movement system is clunky as hell but I do like how you are able to have a large impact on the games story, and I actually like the combat somewhat. Risen reminds me very much of Gothic, which isn't a bad thing. It's extremely difficult but it's got a really nice atmosphere and it's a very pretty game (aesthetic wise more than anything). Two Worlds II is just fun. The story is stupid but I still find it really enjoyable.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
AlternatePFG said:
Risen reminds me very much of Gothic, which isn't a bad thing. It's extremely difficult but it's got a really nice atmosphere and it's a very pretty game (aesthetic wise more than anything).
Risen is actually by the developers of the Gothic series and was intended as a 'spiritual successor' after the publisher took the brand name from em, so that's no surprise.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The Madman said:
AlternatePFG said:
Risen reminds me very much of Gothic, which isn't a bad thing. It's extremely difficult but it's got a really nice atmosphere and it's a very pretty game (aesthetic wise more than anything).
Risen is actually by the developers of the Gothic series, so that's no surprise.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I only played the first Gothic, even though I own all of them. I really liked what they were going for in those games, but I got stuck in the first one and moved on.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
LOST, for the 360. What can I say, I'm a big fan of the series and couldn't let some bad reviews sway me from it.

SAW as well mind you, but that's actually pretty entertaining sometimes.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
All the time, simply because I'm more interested in having fun and playing a game as opposed to what other people think about the game.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I bought Driv3r waaaay back. The mission's were brutal to the point where you need to pixel perfect, but the physics in that game made that impossibru.

I had fun in the open world having dramatic crashes, and I loved the fact that you could stop traffic on a draw-bridge and then raise the draw-bridge watching all of them smash onto the floor. Hours of fun.

But other than that, graphics were terrible, story was terrible, everything other than the free-roam was terrible. But still has a special place in my heart for that bridge.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess the recent average game I bought would be Conduit 2 and maybe Solatorobo: Red the Hunter.
The plot to Conduit 2 is ok but I bought it for the multiplayer and while Solatorobo is great but it doesn't have a lasting appeal than to restart the game again but with hidden contents. While it does got extra quests you can download by wifi but last time I have check it not up yet.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
AlternatePFG said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I only played the first Gothic, even though I own all of them. I really liked what they were going for in those games, but I got stuck in the first one and moved on.
You should actually consider trying out Gothic 2 if you haven't, most people myself included consider it the high point of the entire series even counting Risen. Despite some rough voice work in places and a few difficulty spikes, especially with the expansion installed, it's a damned solid experience that was seriously advanced for its time and continues to remain of stand-out quality even today. I replayed it not long ago actually after picking it up from gog and the level of detail is still pretty astounding.

Whatever the case just wanted to point out the whole Risen-Gothic thing if you hadn't known.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The Madman said:
You should actually consider trying out Gothic 2 if you haven't, most people myself included consider it the high point of the entire series even counting Risen. Despite some rough voice work in places and a few difficulty spikes, especially with the expansion installed, it's a damned solid experience that was seriously advanced for its time and continues to remain of stand-out quality even today. I replayed it not long ago actually after picking it up from gog and the level of detail is still pretty astounding.

Whatever the case just wanted to point out the whole Risen-Gothic thing if you hadn't known.
Yeah I heard the same, I do plan on playing it once I get the chance. I got the whole series in a Steam sale, though I kinda regret just not getting the first two games off of GoG.

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
Raeil said:
My review is here [http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/960450-nier/reviews], under "An 'Unsung' Hero." Technically, my review score should have been a 9/10 but I rounded down on a .5 instead of up accidentally.
I appreciate it, I think I know what I'll be doing today.

bluecrimson

No soffidx.
Sep 8, 2010
Every game in the Warriors series.

They're my guilty pleasure, and fantastic for letting off stress.

BadPublicity

Sep 17, 2010
I bought Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder, yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. Probably don't have to say much more for you to understand just how "average" this game is.

shazlor

Sep 14, 2009
Over the course of time, I've owned most of the Dynasty Warriors games... and they're all exactly the same... and I keep buying them. Why do I keep buying them?
(Note: I do always enjoy them though)

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I got Homefront, well the multi player is at least fun. Hopefully that can be fixed, but the single player? About as average cliched as they come.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
From what I gather from the reviews, The Saboteur was average. But I enjoyed it as long as it lasted.

But dear lord with the irish accent.

OOOH IT'S FUN BUT HELL ON ME HAAANDS