Have you ever knowingly bought a game that was "average"

omega3711

Jul 11, 2011
I got into the Halo franchise knowing I'd have some fun but wouldn't exactly have a life changing experience.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
I really haven't bothered with reviews since the hallowed old days of Amiga Power, now there was a magazine that knew how to not only review games but give fair scores. Most games nowadays that get scores in the 80's and 90's really are only average compared to the rest of the genre there in. But back to the original question, yes I have. If its in a genre I like, really cheap on steam or part of a series or a developer I like then I will pick it up.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
I bought Alpha Protocol during the Steam Summer Sale and was very sceptic because of the many bad things I had heard about it in reviews. Playing it, I found out that most of these points were spot on, but the rest of the game was completely worth it. Actually, I think it would have been worth more than the 5? I spent on it.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Probably, I often buy games which I have heard nothing about, or has had bad reviews/things said about it.

One example would be when Terraria first came out, and lots of people were criticising it for being a "2D Minecraft". I got it anyway, because it was cheap, and I loved it! :)

Also, I bought Halo: Reach knowing I wouldn't really play it much, which still holds true to this day. I don't know why I bought it, guess it was just a spur of the moment thing.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
not every game is going to be gold but once in a while you need to have only average games.
I have not been able to buy games recently so the one that sticks out in my mind is super princess peach.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
yea when i pre-ordered Duke I knew it was going to be average or below but meh, still enjoyed playing it

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
I got MAG for $15 knowing full well that it was an average shooter with below average graphics and one gimmick.

But that gimmick is a good one and makes for a pretty unique experiences.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Star Wars the Force Unleashed. For £12.95, it's not a bad game. Not great, but not bad.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Transformers: War for Cybertron. Reviews were universally "It's not bad," but it remains to this day, my favorite game.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Vault101 said:
Gindil said:
Vault101 said:
Kane and lych: I will call ignorance on this one..I dodnt know it was THAT bad..I just vaugley knew about it..I only played for about 5 minutes before going "nah..fuck this"
And I'll tell you this. Go and play Freedom Fighters on the PS2, then try Kane and Lynch again.

It's sad how much they had in the former game that makes you weep for the latter one.
Same developer? didnt they also make the hitman games?
Yep. This is what makes Kane and Lynch so frustrating. The "team" dynamic with K&L seemed forced to me whereas even though you barely talked in FF, the story was loads better. You controlled up to 8 fighters, and the levels could be taken a variety of ways. You felt like you were becoming a powerful badass as you moved through the game, becoming a leader.

It's considered more a sleeper hit than a bona fide Square RPG, but I'm sure if you give it a shot, it'll be a great bargain game nowadays.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Yeah for sure, and most of them I completed to! the thing about buying games that you know are "average" is that to buy a game like that (with foreknowledge) then you bretty much must already be invested in the premise of the game.

Here are a few examples for me:

Gun
hydrophobia
Monday night combat
overlord

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Oh, loads. AvP was one I personally thought was highly underrated by everyone, for example.

I recently got Brink after forgetting about it due to the reviews. It is a bit of a disappointment compared to the early showings of the game (that Container City gameplay was awesome, and the beginning and end made it seem like it had an actual story) but I am still having a surprising amount of fun with it.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
Jak and Daxter:The Lost Frontier: Massive Jak and Daxter fanboy since those games were my definite favourite on PS2, if Sony decides to do a HD collection, I will immediately preorder!

White Knight Chronicles: Well it was average among critics maybe because they never even thought to try the online (Story:Average at best, Online: Awesome!)

Hyperdimension Neptunia: I had an interest in it when it released and got it just over 2 weeks ago and I have been enjoying just fine, it knows what its appeal is and pleases them only which is a nice break from other developers just shoving random shit into their games to get the largest appeal possible.

Tom Clancy HAWX 2: I have fun with the occasional combat flight sim and was enjoyable while it lasted

Brutal Legend: I just had to see what it was like :)

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
God, I know I'm going to get hate for this, but I would have to say Halo: Reach.
*flame shields up*
I was completely turned off the multiplayer due to the fanbase who seemed to always be either completely obsessive about the game or idiotic. This really only left me with the single player and custom games with friends, since the extent of customization in firefight made it less fun for some reason >.>
The single player was kind of fun but bored me a lot since most levels, with a few exceptions, seem to be just a series of firefight matches. Plus, the story was kind of predictable with a few plot cop-outs (Kat's death). As for custom games, I could never really find another really fun game mode, just a fun challenge map every once in a while.

Overall, it felt like an average game in the end with the flaws evening out with the fun I had

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Star trek Generations for the PC was going to be average from what i could see, but in the end it was terrible :S couldn't play t despite my star trek fan boy enthusiasm. A purchase i regretted immensely

Fallout: brotherhood of steel for the PS2 was a game that is detested beyond belief by the fallout community, but i bought it and enjoyed it all the same. it was brainless and i enjoy the fallout universe so i couldn't complain.

The hunt for red october for the Nes.. don't know what i was thinking, especially since i had a choice between megaman 2 and it.... i put it down to childish stupidity... but still.... what in gods name was a i thinking :(

Dan Kaloczy

Mar 11, 2011
WET (PS3) However I don't regret buying it. Finished it several times. Really enjoyed it.
And I guess Bayonetta (PS3) was rated average but still enjoyed it while it lasted. Fun boss fights.

I did however buy Gothic 2 for PC...and I'd probably play it but the combat sucks dookie flavoured eggs wrapped in the innards of Justin Beiber..

I did also buy Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 (PS3) and it was fun but I never regretted buying something as much as I did with DBRB2...Luckily, I was still in the 1 week return policy from EB Games... Exchanged it for Crysis 2 (PS3) and never looked back.

reiem531

Aug 26, 2009
Sonic Unleashed.

Everyone hated it, but it looked fun so I bought it and it was fun. So shut up.