Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people who have missed the sprint feature in games (why is Skyrim said so much?!). I usually figure out how to sprint the second I have control of the game.
I think its has something to do with playing Skyrim on PC.
I already knew that you could sprint before I got the game but its pretty useless until you get a heap of fatigue (which I have 300 now :p)

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
My friend has me playing through the fatal frame games, it was only about 15 mins before the end of the first one did I discover you can aim the camera faster by pressing the square button.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I beat Ogre Battle 64 without realizing you could train in the overworld, beat it twice without realizing the hidden "morale" mechanic affected the ending, and beat it thrice before figuring out how to get a second lich (which is still hard to do).

I'd go into the "things I didn't know were possible until I saw a professional do it casually" list for SC2, but that is a very very long list...

Oh, and I remember losing my hat in the 2nd snow lvl on Mario 64, and not knowing how to get it back. Fighting Bowser the third time without your hat = X_X

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Mariakko said:
Eddie the head said:
SirDeadly said:
It took me 20 odd hours to find out how to sprint in Skyrim...
Mariakko said:
82 hours into Skyrim and I just figured out how to sprint.
Question for both of you PC version?
Yup, PC version for me.
Like I said that makes sense if there is anything you can say about console controls it's that they are tight. Every thing is there that needs to be there. And it tends to be odd if 3 buttons on a X box or ps3 controller are not doing anything a key bored not so much.

Michael Wagg

Mar 26, 2012
Cooking food in skyrim. I thought it was a useless craft skill, until I found out about vegetable soup! Now I shield bash everything :D!

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Mmm. Not really. Most of the time I know about a game feature. It just ends up being completely hopeless or ineffective, and thats the reason I don't use it.

Like most JRPGs. They give you a 1000 skills or spells, and I generally get through the games without EVER needing to use them. It doesn't help that the so called "ultimate skills" usually have a terrible hit/success rate, or take 2 or 3 turns to charge. On normal enemies, they're dead from physical attacks (which at high levels do more damage then the ultimate skills anyway) long before the skill is charged. And for bosses, where the skills would often be handy, 97% of them are immune to every possible skill. So what's the point? Course I haven't played any of the modern JRPGs recently (Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandoras Tower) so maybe things have improved.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Mass Effect 3's quick save button, Dead Space 1's objective path thing, Battlefield 1943's parachuting out of planes. Always had to hope that I crashed over water.

namhorFnodroG

Nov 2, 2011
For about 2 months of playing counterstrike 1.6, i finally figured out how to "Walk" or sneak. Best day of my life.

Now i don't need to hear people shouting "WHY WON'T YOU WALK!!? YOUR GOING TO RUIN THIS FOR US ALL!"

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
DarthRiko said:
When I was younger and only had a Gamecube, I managed to play all the way through Starfox: Assault without jumping.

Yes, I actually thought you could not jump.

Wait..WHAT? How did you manage that? I seem to remember that game's maps required a shit ton of jumping? Damn that game was awesome...

OT: I played through Metro: 2033 without knowing you could buy or upgrade your weapons..I played my whole first playthrough with the shitty weapons you pick up, and a sack full of moneyz

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Never curved any skills in Mass Effect 2 until my second playthrough. Probably because I was just biotic charging things though.
I also never really parried in Dark Souls. I knew it was there, but I could never get the timing right. Then I tried fighting a Black Knight with just fist weapons. Good practice.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
TheFunPolice said:
I played through Metro: 2033 without knowing you could buy or upgrade your weapons..I played my whole first playthrough with the shitty weapons you pick up, and a sack full of moneyz
what. you can upgrade weapons in Metro 2033? Damn! That would have been helpful.

I have never used "throw gil" in any final fantasy game. i saw my brother do it and it was the most useless attack i've ever seen. I have however, used the 'bribe' skill in Final Fantasy 10, if only to get the rarest goodies from monsters.

Pedosmile said:
In FFX i dint realise you could use the orbs to make your character stronger till i fought Yunalesca needless to say my hours of grinding payed off when i finally found it out
...but....but.... how!? (did you actually manage to get that far with characters you had left with 'level 1' stats. I can understand why you didn't know how to use the sphere system, i was smashing the 'o' and 'x' button as quick as i could through that boring text tutorial.

Pyrignis

May 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
GimpyGimli said:
Dead Space uses X to quick heal...

My friend showed me after I beat the game on the highest difficulty!!
oh THIS..I was thinking "why the fuck do they make you use the inventory? thats stupid!"
0_0
Guess what I just found out...

DeadXV

Dec 24, 2009
It took me nearly all of my first play through of the first Assassins Creed to figure out how to sprint/freerun (I played on PC), I thought the space bar was just for jumping.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I only just realized last night thay I can do a lunge with the Chainsaw in Dishwasher: Vampire smiles. I went through the whole game not realizing that Yuki could lunge just like the Dishwasher.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Yes, commonly actually. Mostly in RPGs there's an entire section of crafting that I ignore because I find another to my liking, case and point in Oblivion and Skyrim I ignored smithing, in NWN1 and 2 I ignored all crafting entirely, as a matter of fact; I rarely enjoy crafting mechanics in games, and often am surprised to hear my friends chatting about how great the crafting system was in a game.

However, I absolutely love yogbox in minecraft. I don't know why I ignore crafting features so much and love a game that is primarily crafting as the core game engine.

Omegie

Nov 28, 2010
I spent well over a hundred hours playing Morrowind as a kid, but it wasn't until I came back to it 5 years later that I realised there was a quest index.

Morrowind's quest journal is literally a journal. Each event is added chronologically, so that you'd have to flip back through the pages to find that Fighters Guild quest you started 45 hours ago in your playthrough. It's nice for immersion, but a real pain if you've got several hundred quest updates during your playthrough.

Funnily enough, theres a button at the bottom of the journal that takes you to an Index of all of your current quests. /facepalm