Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
TestECull said:
Altorin said:
TestECull said:
Dr Jones said:
TestECull said:
And why would I want to make it harder? Harder is not necessarily better. Matter of fact, I prefer games that aren't hard.
A good challenge is always good fun >.>
Speak for yourself. I don't enjoy 'hard' games. I play games to feel like an absolute badass that doesn't give a damn about incoming damage and can wreck whatever he wants.
Then... why play it on the highest difficulty? didn't you say that you did?
There is such a thing as too easy. If I play it on the easiest setting I rocket through the levels so fast I'm maxed out before I get out of Novac just about. Every other step is an XP bucket. I may not want a challenge but I still want some sort of resistance. Still want it to feel like it isn't a pop-up shooting gallery.

If I'm perfectly honest the hardest difficulty in FO3 and NV should have been the easiest.
i haven't played in awhile but i don't recall it ever being that easy. do you use some trick or something

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
TestECull said:
Dr Jones said:
TestECull said:
And why would I want to make it harder? Harder is not necessarily better. Matter of fact, I prefer games that aren't hard.
A good challenge is always good fun >.>
Speak for yourself. I don't enjoy 'hard' games. I play games to feel like an absolute badass that doesn't give a damn about incoming damage and can wreck whatever he wants.
I did speak for myself.

Madbomber

Mar 15, 2012
played halfway through dark souls without knowing how to jump, played through a second time found out i could aim first person mode with a bow and how OP magic is pve wise

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
I remember nearly ragequitting a Final Fantasy because I didn't know I could save in the overworld. Can't remember which one.

I went through Alpha Protocol without knowing about stealth-kills. I just knocked out everyone. Not that big a deal but it does explain some taunts about being a naive pacifist I got.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
Justyn Stahll said:
Did'nt know how to Quicksave in Stalker: Clear Sky, until I hit F5 on accident

As a Kid I also never learned how to use Sabin's (Final Fantasy 6)Blitz moves and thought he was useless...
Suplex...my best friend
I still don't know how you're supposed to do the diagonal directions on most of his moves with a 4 direction pad.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
FFX - I didn't know how to use the sphere grid until Operation Mi'hen. Do you have any idea how hard it is to kill the bosses at that stage without taking advantage of the level-up system?? I eventually figured it out and trounced its ass no problem... it was actually kinda cool to get so ridiculously strong immediately like that...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Altorin said:
Redd the Sock said:
I've only ever seen a desperation movie in FFVI once.
yeah, Desperation Moves in FF6 were so rare that they were sort of like... urban legends. Most people who played the game probably don't even know they exist.

I mean, I've played FF6 several times over the years and I've only seen them a handful of times. Certainly haven't seen everyones.

I wonder if Relm's has ever happened in the history of the game.

cause who the fuck uses Relm.

Edit: excepting of course for glitching the game with hilarious results
What's a Desperation move? o.0 No seriously, ive never heard of it and I finished FF6 not long ago.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
katsumoto03 said:
UBERfionn said:
SoranMBane said:
BiggyShackleton said:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.
And this just blew my mind. After hundreds of hours in both games, I never knew you could do that until right now. o_0

Well, at least this'll make getting irradiated for Moira in Fallout 3 go a bit faster from now on...
Wow.
Just Wow.
How did I not know that.
I'm going to go and rethink my life.
I know how you feel.

Shit, I'm just now realizing that I've wasted about an hour of my life.
Holy crap - I'm playing Fallout 3 now and never knew that... I guess it isnt exactly too late though? I still have some add-ons and side quests left to just hold A instead =D

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Auron225 said:
FFX - I didn't know how to use the sphere grid until Operation Mi'hen. Do you have any idea how hard it is to kill the bosses at that stage without taking advantage of the level-up system?? I eventually figured it out and trounced its ass no problem... it was actually kinda cool to get so ridiculously strong immediately like that...
They're kind of like limit breaks. When a character's HP gets low enough a normal attack may become a power super move. It's rather rare though. Like I said, I've only seen it once, and I've played through a couple dozen times.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
I learned of a quick-save on one game, then realized that about 50% games have quick-save buttons which are easily bindable. I felt very derpy.....

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Despite playing as a Vanguard, I never thought to use any of the more obvious Biotic powers on my first playthrough of Mass Effect 1.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I was about 20 hours into Fallout 3 before my flatmate read the instruction book and told me about the VATS aiming.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
True Crime: Streets of LA.

If you time it correctly, you can slide across a car's bonnet Dukes of Hazzard style by pressing triangle.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Auron225 said:
Altorin said:
Redd the Sock said:
I've only ever seen a desperation movie in FFVI once.
yeah, Desperation Moves in FF6 were so rare that they were sort of like... urban legends. Most people who played the game probably don't even know they exist.

I mean, I've played FF6 several times over the years and I've only seen them a handful of times. Certainly haven't seen everyones.

I wonder if Relm's has ever happened in the history of the game.

cause who the fuck uses Relm.

Edit: excepting of course for glitching the game with hilarious results
What's a Desperation move? o.0 No seriously, ive never heard of it and I finished FF6 not long ago.
They're Kind of like limit breaks. Basically selecting the "Fight" option when you are at critical health will VERY RARELY (I don't know the number, but 0.01% sounds about right from experience) cause your character to do some huge attack. Every characters is slightly different. And they're really really rare. Like, too rare to even be noticeable by almost anyone who plays the game.

Unia said:
Justyn Stahll said:
Did'nt know how to Quicksave in Stalker: Clear Sky, until I hit F5 on accident

As a Kid I also never learned how to use Sabin's (Final Fantasy 6)Blitz moves and thought he was useless...
Suplex...my best friend
I still don't know how you're supposed to do the diagonal directions on most of his moves with a 4 direction pad.
Didn't play fighting games I take it? You roll your thumb from one cardinal direction to the next.. like for Aura Blast (Down, Rolled to Left), or Fire Dance (Right, Rolled to Down, Rolled to Left), or Air Blast (Up, Rolled to Left, Rolled to Down, Rolled to Right) and finally Bum Rush, which was Left, Rolled to Up, Rolled to Right, Rolled to Down, Rolled to Left, or a full circle around the D-pad.

Seriously, those are all his most powerful attacks, and he'd be pretty horrible if you couldn't figure that out. It's the exact same way you pull off a Hadouken in any Street Fighter game for Aura Blast, and the rest just add more length to the roll.

YiyraTheCat

Mar 13, 2012
I went through my entire first play through of Half Life without knowing that you get a long jump mod near the end of the game when they send you to Zen. The few parts of Zen where you have to make really long jumps I solved by charging up the laser cannon, and jumping while looking in the opposite direction I wanted to go. The low gravity sent me haphazardly flying in the general direction I wanted to land...not an easy task while trying to navigate those small, round, floating and perpetually rotating platforms.

Hey I was like 14 at the time and stupid. =P

afrojason

Jan 22, 2012
took me god knows how many different playthroughs to finally figure out how to start the main storyline in ES3 morrowind