Have you ever regretted killing a NPC?

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Let me put it this way, I can no longer play games as an "evil" character without feeling terrible most of the time. Fallout especially. No, I don't want to murder and maim an entire town for crap loot and lols, thanks for the offer though.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
I have done so many horrible, horrible things in video games. Made friends kill each other. This one time in Fallout 2, I shot a man in New Reno just to watch him die. I've nuked cities, laid waste to entire regions, and peed in people's faces. I've shot children in the testicles, used weighted boxing gloves to commit murder in the ring, and made my Sims play sadistic games of life and death.

I've never regretted a moment of it. Every tragedy, travesty, and depravity committed by me was done with my laughing approval.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Paarthurnax in Skyrim.

Dude was so badass I reloaded my game almost immediately after killing him.

Screw the blades.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
Harold in Fallout 3. That was the only one that I had second thoughts about. Using a flame thrower may have been too cruel.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
The point of that bit in GTA4 is that it's supposed to NOT be a black/white call, you are supposed to feel like shit either way.

And this wasn't REALLY someone I killed (at least, I didn't do it alone), but I lost one of my buddies in Far Cry 2 a day ago and I felt terrible as I could over a game. He was wounded helping me with a mission. I got to him in time, but the magic meds needle didn't heal him. He begged for another, and after a minute, I obliged. Then he whispered that he wanted another. I assume that the medicine is supposed to be morphine, so I hesitated, then realized he wasn't coming back from this. I gave him a third dose of meds and he started to drift away, dying after a few seconds. My character closed the buddies eyes, and then sat there in silence for a second, before unloading a magazine on a wounded rebel trying to limp away. One of the most emotional scenes in the game, by far.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i haven't regretted killing them because I'm either having fun or i had to kill them

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So I played Fallout 3 (as many of you probably have). I was playing the original version of the game and was pretty heavily invested in my character and the progress I've made to that point and I was interested in getting the DLC. I noticed that the DLC would add up to about $40 on PSN, but the GOTY edition would be half that at Gamestop. Logically, I traded in my old copy and got the GOTY edition.

The problem was that this fucked up my save game, preventing me from playing my old save at all. This got me pretty frustrated. So I restarted my game and took my anger out on Megaton, that first town you encounter in most cases, by doing only the bad-karma shit. I ended up stealing a lot more stuff, getting a that one ex-raider to join me, and nuked the whole town to live in a penthouse to lay about and have sex all the time. But I felt guilty afterward since I had already had the experience in my previous save and I knew I wouldn't be able to go through any of that in my current game. It wasn't about the points, karma, or characters per say. It was about the other adventures I would be missing out on because I chose to blow up part of the map. that and I'll miss Lucas Simm (is that his name?) The black-guy who is the sheriff of Megaton and wears that cowboy hat, he always seemed like a level-headed and cool dude.

In Left 4 DEad: I always feel bad when I have to leave Ellis behind to die. He makes me laugh. Most often I'll try to have Rochelle die first, or Bill if I'm using original survivors. I know killing Rochelle off first seems both sexist and racist, but I just don't like her in comparison to anyone. She is the Grif to my Sarge, if you catch my Red Vs. Blue reference there... dirt bag.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
lithiumvocals said:
While I didn't kill her directly, my actions were responsible for the death of Kelly Chambers. Which hit really close to home for me, because I had actually romanced her and I genuinely enjoyed talking to her. But I made a critical judgement that I needed Legion's loyalty, not knowing the consequence of that. Watching her getting liquefied right in front of me haunts both Shepard and myself to this day. Big damn heroes, indeed.
It's possible to get legion's loyalty and save her. In fact, my first playthrough I made the same mistake and went back more than 7 hours of gameplay to make sure Kelly doesn't die. You just have to make sure you have absolutely everything done before doing the mission where you get Legion. Then the collectors come, you do Legion's loyalty, and when you go to the collector base she lives and some unnamed colonist dies. You can't do anything else such as stop at the citadel or a side mission, only legions loyalty though.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
EDIT: Whoops, I was ninja'd and quoted the wrong person about saving Kelly in ME3. Sorry about that quote.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
teebeeohh said:
i have admit, i did not notice the dots only disappear when i get close to them because i walked up to every group and just assumed some were set to disappear and some were not.
however this makes me more uneasy, since i am pretty sure i just reenacted a crazed gunman running through a mall.
Not terrible. Maybe apathetic. Anyway, this game has potential to make you think about your actions more than a lot of others. I do have to admit I didn't really like how he called it a "not-game," but I'm pretty sure he meant in the sense that it's not supposed to be fun. Anyway.

Also, as I said, AMERICANS are not allowed in N Korea. No one except a select few people each year are allowed to enter the country, and they are restricted from going where the Leadership does not want them. Which is anywhere. Think 1984. Seriously, it get's hard to describe it any better than Orwell did 50 years before it existed. The only Korea anyone visits is South Korea. People escape North Korea, not visit it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
God of Path said:
teebeeohh said:
i have admit, i did not notice the dots only disappear when i get close to them because i walked up to every group and just assumed some were set to disappear and some were not.
however this makes me more uneasy, since i am pretty sure i just reenacted a crazed gunman running through a mall.
Not terrible. Maybe apathetic. Anyway, this game has potential to make you think about your actions more than a lot of others. I do have to admit I didn't really like how he called it a "not-game," but I'm pretty sure he meant in the sense that it's not supposed to be fun. Anyway.

Also, as I said, AMERICANS are not allowed in N Korea. No one except a select few people each year are allowed to enter the country, and they are restricted from going where the Leadership does not want them. Which is anywhere. Think 1984. Seriously, it get's hard to describe it any better than Orwell did 50 years before it existed. The only Korea anyone visits is South Korea. People escape North Korea, not visit it.
of course people visit north Korea, there are a surprising number of journalists who apply to visit the country each year since there is literally no other way to get any information out of there. a few years ago a read a rather interesting article where the guy who wrote did a very good job of explaining what happens in the country by what he was and what he was not allowed to see. and i was rather distraught to see that at least some of trains used are trains phased put of the Berlin subway in the mid/late 90s.
oh and doesn't it marginalize the suffering of north Koreans by just saying "Korea" when you mean South Korea? should we always point out that there are two Koreas and in one of them people live in terrible conditions?

oh and of course if you capitalize every letter AMERICANS means citizens of the united states. even better 'MERICANS.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
teebeeohh said:
oh and of course if you capitalize every letter AMERICANS means citizens of the united states. even better 'MERICANS.
No, it means people from the AMERICAS. There are two, they are continents. Your inferiority complex is forgivable, but AMERICANS means people from the AMERICAS, not just the US. If I meant US residents, I would have said. But that doesn't change my argument. Please don't misunderstand, Paraguayans are as capable of entering N. Korea as people from the US. Which is to say, not. If by surprising number, you mean a couple dozen journalists a year, then I guess, yeah, that's a big destination. But of course it would be completely normal to assume the isolationist Dictatorial state is the one the schoolteacher was talking about. Not the one with open borders that is an active nation state in global affairs.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
God of Path said:
teebeeohh said:
No, it means people from the AMERICAS. There are two, they are continents. Your inferiority complex is forgivable, but AMERICANS means people from the AMERICAS, not just the US. If I meant US residents, I would have said. But that doesn't change my argument. Please don't misunderstand, Paraguayans are as capable of entering N. Korea as people from the US. Which is to say, not. If by surprising number, you mean a couple dozen journalists a year, then I guess, yeah, that's a big destination. But of course it would be completely normal to assume the isolationist Dictatorial state is the one the schoolteacher was talking about. Not the one with open borders that is an active nation state in global affairs.
except your original argument, refuting my statement(although made in jest you seemingly considered in bad taste) that Korea is two countries that you should probably differentiate when talking about, was that Americans are not allowed in North Korea, which is wrong since, while not common, it is not impossible for people from either Americas to enter North Korea(i am really sorry for this sentence)
And i didn't say a surprising number enter the country each year, i they applied for doing so, which i considered weird since i don't see a lot of insight that can be gained from this that is not also gained by reports of refugees fleeing the country each year.
the fact that it is much more likely he visited South Korea does not change the fact that people should be more considerate in naming countries they visited. especially if there is a much bad blood between that are likely to be confused.
on that note: i am also a big fan of people who know (and utilize that knowledge) about the difference between England and the UK

minispike47

Aug 15, 2008
I can't complete the daedric quest to get the Sanguine Rose in Skyrim because I killed an NPC. Apparently I killed someone who was key to the quest and now I can't start it. I don't even know who I killed but I still regret it...

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Kaimax said:
The "oblivion fanboy" in Skyrim, when I went for the Mehrune Dagon's dagger.
The private collector you kill for Mehrunes' Razor?

I didn't feel bad, I felt drunk on evil when I killed him. Maybe it's because I never played Oblivion. I can't remember exactly, but I think I was laughing maniacally.

As a matter of fact, I felt like that for all the Daedric quests in Skyrim where you have to do something horribly evil to progress. Lead some poor sap to Boethiah's altar? Sucks to be you, Eric "the Slayer". Backstab that one priest from Dawnstar for the Skull of Corruption? Poor sod didn't even have time to turn around and get a counter-attack. I've also contemplated getting married in Skyrim just to slide the Ebony Blade up through my wife's spinal column. The only reason I didn't do this is because I don't want to marry myself off.

The odd part is: I'm generally a really nice and respectful guy to NPCs and the law. I think I have a toggle-switch in the base of my mind that allows me to switch into remorseless evil mode to prevent myself from feeling bad about these things.
I also think said switch has been overused ever since I learned how to flip it at will.

Look out, world.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
I only regret whatever reward I'm locked out of, not the actual NPC.

In fact, games where I'm allowed to kill NPCs are my favorite.
GTA and Dues Ex come to mind. That one early mission in Goldeneye.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I go out of my way of saving any and all NPCs I can...I miss freidnly fire too.... uhg games are too easy these days.....

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Sometimes, I can't remember all of them though, the only time that comes to mind is accidentally stabbing a begger woman that I meant to punch in Assassins Creed