Have you ever regretted killing a NPC?

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
darkdoom227 said:
Joos said:
The utter betrayal of Mission Vaio, where you force persuade her best friend Zaalbar to murder her for protesting against Darth Revan's evil ways. I felt soiled.
I took all the light side paths in that game, so I never experienced that.
Yea, I played it through twice. Light side first, which was a pretty good game. But I felt I had to give it a go as a Dark Jedi/Sith as well. That's when the writing and story really took a spin and made the game epic; I'd never seen such contrast in a game before that and it's really what made the game memorable for me.

Matt King said:
why isn't there a way to turn your allies evil, you have to kill like, half the crew, especially mission she was my favourite character but fuck playing as a good guy
TBH, maybe it would be better for some people, but I prefer my NPC's to be real people and have strong characters and not just bend to the whim's of the player. It gave me a real sense of actually playing with real people rather than marionettes controlled by a slack willed pushover. By giving the characters strong moral compasses, you really have to think things through and make sure you are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to proceed in a given direction.

Bioware has slacked off in this regard in later years. Every character in Mass Effect is more or less part of "the Shepard Cheerleader crew" (apart from Mordin Solus).

Anyhow, the fact that I actually had to stand up and murder NPC's that I had grown attached to during several hours of gameplay to complete the Dark Side of the plot rather than 'turning' or just have the NPC's disgruntedly leave the party was made a massive impact on me and one of the reason's why the game is always going to be shining example of excellent storytelling.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Yep, and then I hit the tilde key and typed 'resurrect' and I didn't feel bad anymore.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
"Does this unit have a soul?"

If you could honestly look him in the optics without a shadow of a doubt and feel not a slightest bit of regret, I will personally drag you to hell myself.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
while playing fallout new vegas i did this
i felt like a complete ass after i did that
i was play a evil character pretending to be good and sporting the ncr.
essentially the character is this kind of personality http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BitchInSheepsClothing
until the right time comes to betray them and massacre every one in small camps first, nuke them and the legion, etc.
but that was the first truly evil thing i did in the game and it bothered me
i still go with the plan
but i know this wouldn't be the last time i do something out right agents my conscience that makes me feel like a asshole

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Spec Ops: the Line was an entire game set on giving me PTSD over killing NPCs. Though I did my best not to kill civilians, I couldn't play a Call of Duty game the same way ever again after finishing that game. Everything in that game had consequences.

Remember that level in the first Modern Warfare game where you're controlling an AC-130 and you're gunning down faceless white-colored mooks on the ground? They've got this little similar moment in Spec Ops: the Line, and lets just say whatever story that happens after the mission makes this game the darkest non-horror shooter I've ever played in my life.

God of Path

God of Path
Jul 6, 2011
teebeeohh said:
yeah that game did not work at all for me because you can actually touch other dots and they vanish, but some vanish on their own. made me completely not care. and when you make a game and call it a "notgame" the amount of pretentious bullshit makes me wanna choke.
and of course Korean children are miserable, half of them are starving to death while their fat baby-faced leader opens an amusement park.

OT: not really, when i go on killing sprees i don't mind and other than that i prefer to avoid killing as much as possible.
oh the boss. i hated killing the boss
The other squares only disappear if you get close enough, you don't need to be touching them. The only thing that makes them vanish is your proximity. You need to pay closer attention.

And I think it's not pretentious at all. There's no pretense, you just play the game. And notgame, so far as I can tell, means that's it not designed to be "fun" in the way most games are. How is it pretentious?

Also, you should learn your geopolitics. Americans aren't allowed in North Korea, which is the only Korea with a large starving population. The guy that made this game worked in South Korea, which is a very typical Asian developed country. And they have a nearly inexplicable problem with suicide that, honestly, you marginalized startling ignorance.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Anytime a lame@ss wannabe Hollywood director dev railroads me into having to kill ANYONE so I'll "feel the experience they were trying to convey".

That's right, no money for the Spec Ops developers from me. I'll play my way or you hit the highway. Without my money.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
While I didn't kill her directly, my actions were responsible for the death of Kelly Chambers. Which hit really close to home for me, because I had actually romanced her and I genuinely enjoyed talking to her. But I made a critical judgement that I needed Legion's loyalty, not knowing the consequence of that. Watching her getting liquefied right in front of me haunts both Shepard and myself to this day. Big damn heroes, indeed.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Russirishican said:
Not an NPC I killed, just one I knocked out. It still made me feel like the biggest jack ass in the world though. In Deus Ex:HR there's this one mission where you have to collect money from a woman because she refuses to pay her debts. I came to collect it (because from my understanding she hadn't been paying) and she basically told me to piss off. So I decked her in the face and looted the money from her body. Immediately I felt worse about this than anything else I've ever done in a game. It didn't help that I reloaded my save and tried being nice this time, and she proceeded to tell me her heart wrenching life story. Well played Deus Ex, well played.
I have experienced nothing more horrifying then coldly telling a grieving mother the exact details of her daughters murder, before grabbing her own head and twisting it like a coke cap.

At that time I didn't even know I could kill civilians in the game, after that I played Jensen like a murderous sociopath robot.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Fenra said:
For anyone whose played it, the dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion, I'm sure you know which one I mean...

For those who want more detail

specifically the quest where you are told to kill everyone in the sanctuary, by that point, I'd developed bonds with all the NPC's there and this strange family of outcasts, they'd given my character a home, not shunned him for his desires, even given him the gift of imortality and vampirism by choice, almost affectionatly given (platonic, friendship affection I add), not forced upon you, just waking up to the 2 marks on ones neck and knowing soon the gift will be complete, one that after everything that had happend and the affection I felt towards him, I was very willing and eager to accept.

Heck even the dick of a khajiit was warming up to me. As I said (probably helps I really get into roleplaying all my RPG characters) these people were my family... and then, I had to kill them all, I put it off for soooooo long, finaly, very begrudgingly finishing it to see where the quest went but I didn't feel good about it at all, hated myself for it! Even kept a seperate save game just before I did so I could go back and see them again if I wanted to
Oh damn....
and the regrets come flooding back...
You know, despite the immense love I have for Skyrim... Oblivion's faction quests were so much better.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
while playing fallout new vegas i did this
i felt like a complete ass after i did that
i was play a evil character pretending to be good and sporting the ncr. until the right time comes to betray them and massacre every one in small camps first, nuke them, etc
but that was the first truly evil thing i did in the game and it bothered me
i still go with the plan
but i know this wouldn't be the last time i do something out right agents my conscience that makes me feel like a asshole
Holy Shit! I didn't know you could do that! I always shot him for abandoning his family to the Legion.

edos63

Apr 5, 2012
Ashley in Mass Effect 3... until she once again condemned me for working for Cerberus, and all regret vanished.

cjacks

Aug 10, 2012
On my first playthrough of Dark Souls, I accidentally attacked the man who later on sells you miracles, and when he started to fight back I thought my only option was to kill him. I was upset to learn later that this meant no miracles for me, but what was actually awful about it all was that his friends decided to attack me later in the game.

After I killed both of the princess's guard, she was left alone and would chase me down and punch me whenever I returned to firelink shrine. This eventually became so annoying that I decided to put her out of her misery. But she died so easily and so miserably that I immediately regretted it.

I'm going to hell aren't I?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
I regretted killing the servile leader of the Obeyers in Geneforge so much that I had to stop playing that playthrough.
Protip: If you've just killed someone, don't read through their diary.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
I killed some NPC kids parents in skyrim, and immediatley felt bad about it.
Then I played hide and seek with her, and she forgave me.
SKYRIM!
IS!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD!

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
lithiumvocals said:
While I didn't kill her directly, my actions were responsible for the death of Kelly Chambers. Which hit really close to home for me, because I had actually romanced her and I genuinely enjoyed talking to her. But I made a critical judgement that I needed Legion's loyalty, not knowing the consequence of that. Watching her getting liquefied right in front of me haunts both Shepard and myself to this day. Big damn heroes, indeed.
She dies any way, nothing you could do.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Only Bioware has pulled that off to me.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 when I didn't quite do things right and I was forced to kill
Bastila
who turned to the dark side.

Also Old Republic when
There was a Jawa that could use the force, and I was forced to kill it because I wanted full dark side. Made me feel sick.
Damn you Bioware and your good character development!

There are other cases in other games, but I was going evil so I didn't do it. Doing anything destructive in Oasis in Fallout 3 would make me sick. Its so pretty there.