Have you ever regretted killing a NPC?

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
While I didn't kill her directly, my actions were responsible for the death of Kelly Chambers. Which hit really close to home for me, because I had actually romanced her and I genuinely enjoyed talking to her. But I made a critical judgement that I needed Legion's loyalty, not knowing the consequence of that. Watching her getting liquefied right in front of me haunts both Shepard and myself to this day. Big damn heroes, indeed.
She dies any way, nothing you could do.
No she doesn't. I saved her in my next play through. Someone else dies in her place.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
God of Path said:
teebeeohh said:
yeah that game did not work at all for me because you can actually touch other dots and they vanish, but some vanish on their own. made me completely not care. and when you make a game and call it a "notgame" the amount of pretentious bullshit makes me wanna choke.
and of course Korean children are miserable, half of them are starving to death while their fat baby-faced leader opens an amusement park.

OT: not really, when i go on killing sprees i don't mind and other than that i prefer to avoid killing as much as possible.
oh the boss. i hated killing the boss
The other squares only disappear if you get close enough, you don't need to be touching them. The only thing that makes them vanish is your proximity. You need to pay closer attention.

And I think it's not pretentious at all. There's no pretense, you just play the game. And notgame, so far as I can tell, means that's it not designed to be "fun" in the way most games are. How is it pretentious?

Also, you should learn your geopolitics. Americans aren't allowed in North Korea, which is the only Korea with a large starving population. The guy that made this game worked in South Korea, which is a very typical Asian developed country. And they have a nearly inexplicable problem with suicide that, honestly, you marginalized startling ignorance.
you can't make a not-game. just because something is a "game" does not mean it's supposed to be fun, it just means it's supposed to be played. a not-game would be something that does not allow you to interact with it, and even that could be considered a statement about how games limit our imagination or something, ask Jonathan Blow about that, he seems to know everything best.
and how was i supposed to know that people from Brazil (since Americans means people from America, right?) are not allowed in North Korea? i just assumed that, since he just said "korea" he visited both countries called Korea.
and yeah i marginalize the suffering of others, i also thought "after the trailers you have my permission to die" was funny on july 20th and don't give a rats ass under what condition my phone is made as long as it works and i can afford to pay for it. i am just a terrible person

i have admit, i did not notice the dots only disappear when i get close to them because i walked up to every group and just assumed some were set to disappear and some were not.
however this makes me more uneasy, since i am pretty sure i just reenacted a crazed gunman running through a mall.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Fenra said:
For anyone whose played it, the dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion, I'm sure you know which one I mean...

For those who want more detail

specifically the quest where you are told to kill everyone in the sanctuary, by that point, I'd developed bonds with all the NPC's there and this strange family of outcasts, they'd given my character a home, not shunned him for his desires, even given him the gift of imortality and vampirism by choice, almost affectionatly given (platonic, friendship affection I add), not forced upon you, just waking up to the 2 marks on ones neck and knowing soon the gift will be complete, one that after everything that had happend and the affection I felt towards him, I was very willing and eager to accept.

Heck even the dick of a khajiit was warming up to me. As I said (probably helps I really get into roleplaying all my RPG characters) these people were my family... and then, I had to kill them all, I put it off for soooooo long, finaly, very begrudgingly finishing it to see where the quest went but I didn't feel good about it at all, hated myself for it! Even kept a seperate save game just before I did so I could go back and see them again if I wanted to
The first time I played through the game, I didn't hesitate a moment to purge the sanctuary. I felt all the same things you did, a true family bond with my dark brothers and sisters as they welcome you in and show you more caring than any of the other guilds...and we're talking about a bunch of murderers here!

But if those in the sanctuary were my brothers ans sisters, Lucien was my father. It was to him that I was most loyal, for it was he who showed me the ligh--errr...darkness of the void. :3

As such, when he called upon me as his personal Silencer to carry out one of the darkest rites of the Brotherhood, I felt nothing but honor...even though I had a VERY strong feeling that the traitor wasn't anyone in the sanctuary. Lucien's got himself 10 juicy poison appeals in his personal lair, and so that was my weapon of choice. Slipping the tainted fruits into the pouches of my brother's and sisters, I would sit across the table from them smiling pleasantly as they munched away one-by-one......and then they munched no more. >:D
Maybe you should spoilertag that, some people may have not played the game yet

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
lithiumvocals said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
While I didn't kill her directly, my actions were responsible for the death of Kelly Chambers. Which hit really close to home for me, because I had actually romanced her and I genuinely enjoyed talking to her. But I made a critical judgement that I needed Legion's loyalty, not knowing the consequence of that. Watching her getting liquefied right in front of me haunts both Shepard and myself to this day. Big damn heroes, indeed.
No she doesn't. I saved her in my next play through. Someone else dies in her place.
Nooo, in Mass 3 she gets killed in the cerberus attack regardless of anything you did or did not do. You can't save Kelly chambers.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
That scene in ME3. The one where you shoot Mordin.

Apart from that the rate at which I feel bad is very strange. I've been more attached to standard enemies talking about something or another then a main character.

Edit: I almost forgot Planescape Torment. You can be an extraordinarily vicious person in that game.

Captcha: Carpe diem.

Who instituted the captcha phrases?

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
Logain in DA:O after the books... Damn you David Gaider.
Mordin in ME3, and Volvagia because I've read the comic.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
Nooo, in Mass 3 she gets killed in the cerberus attack regardless of anything you did or did not do. You can't save Kelly chambers.
Wrong again, you can get her to change her name and go into hiding, allowing her to survive.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
lithiumvocals said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
lithiumvocals said:
Wrong again, you can get her to change her name and go into hiding, allowing her to survive.
See, now I feel as bad as you did! AND I made some kid an orphan in skyrim. This is not my day...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Killing Mordin in Mass Effect 3 on a renegade playthrough made me feel bad, the way he was trying to drag himself to the console as he was dying was really tragic.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
Nathaniel (Religious guy) in Heavy Rain. After I killed him, I literally had to stop playing for a little while because I'd felt so bad about it. And this is coming from someone who often goes on rampages in games.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I'm usually fairly indifferent to NPCs, but for some reason, when I play Halo games I get very protective of them. I go to great pains to give them good weapons and keep them alive - and they repay my efforts by running into firefights and driving off cliffs :(

asap

Aug 10, 2012
I have never felt sorry for killing an NPC. They are designed to entertain me, and their death is an excellent way to achieve this. No different from human players on multiplayer games.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
David Bjur said:
RJ 17 said:
Fenra said:
For anyone whose played it, the dark brotherhood questline in Oblivion, I'm sure you know which one I mean...

For those who want more detail

specifically the quest where you are told to kill everyone in the sanctuary, by that point, I'd developed bonds with all the NPC's there and this strange family of outcasts, they'd given my character a home, not shunned him for his desires, even given him the gift of imortality and vampirism by choice, almost affectionatly given (platonic, friendship affection I add), not forced upon you, just waking up to the 2 marks on ones neck and knowing soon the gift will be complete, one that after everything that had happend and the affection I felt towards him, I was very willing and eager to accept.

Heck even the dick of a khajiit was warming up to me. As I said (probably helps I really get into roleplaying all my RPG characters) these people were my family... and then, I had to kill them all, I put it off for soooooo long, finaly, very begrudgingly finishing it to see where the quest went but I didn't feel good about it at all, hated myself for it! Even kept a seperate save game just before I did so I could go back and see them again if I wanted to
The first time I played through the game, I didn't hesitate a moment to purge the sanctuary. I felt all the same things you did, a true family bond with my dark brothers and sisters as they welcome you in and show you more caring than any of the other guilds...and we're talking about a bunch of murderers here!

But if those in the sanctuary were my brothers ans sisters, Lucien was my father. It was to him that I was most loyal, for it was he who showed me the ligh--errr...darkness of the void. :3

As such, when he called upon me as his personal Silencer to carry out one of the darkest rites of the Brotherhood, I felt nothing but honor...even though I had a VERY strong feeling that the traitor wasn't anyone in the sanctuary. Lucien's got himself 10 juicy poison appeals in his personal lair, and so that was my weapon of choice. Slipping the tainted fruits into the pouches of my brother's and sisters, I would sit across the table from them smiling pleasantly as they munched away one-by-one......and then they munched no more. >:D
Maybe you should spoilertag that, some people may have not played the game yet
If you haven't played Oblivion yet, then I pity you. And chances are if you haven't played it yet then you won't be playing it anytime soon.

Carlos Storm

Mar 13, 2012
Gruff Veteran voice: Oh sure, you remember that first NPC kill, what they were doing, why you killed them, but after a while they all start to fade away, merging into one indistinguishable face, like all you're really doing is killing a bunch of 1's and 0's. Their screams still keep me up at night.

Joking aside, I did have a psuedo-nightmare about being a seriel killer after playing through the dark brotherhood quest chain in oblivion. Gonna hang up my virtual life of crime.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
The only NPC death that has gotten to me in recent times has been Faridah Malik from Deus Ex HR.
No I did not kill her but she sure as hell dies if you don't save her. What got me was the fact that I could have saved her (its an intense fight) and either failed or worked around it on my first play-through.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Mirroga said:
Do these NPCs you speak of be part of the main cast? If it did, then I will always remember one.

Infamous 2 Spoiler <- This should already give it away
Killing Zeke in Infamous' Evil/Bad Ending
Don't mention that one....

I'll start crying again! ;(

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Twice in the Dark Brotherhood quests in Oblivion:
the "who-dun-it" mission where you are locked in a house with a bunch of NPCs. Most of them were dicks, but killing them all one by one and manipulating who they thought the murderer was really made me feel bad.
The other time has been mentioned a few times now: the mission where you cleanse sanctuary after spending like 3 hours growing to like everyone there

A more original regret I had was when I killed Sander Cohen from Bioshock. It wasn't at all necessary to do so; I could have left him to his merry little life. Obviously, he was insane and violent, however overall he is the ONLY NPC in the entire game you meet face-to-face who doesn't try to attack you (you only meet Ryan in a cut-scene). After I attacked him, and he told me how disappointed he was with his dying breath, I just felt really bad.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I first time I can recall every feeling really bad about it was when I was playing The Shivering Isles in Oblivion. I got a quest on the "light" side of New Sheo (assoc. with Madness court I believe). Anyway some guy asks me to end his life because he hated everything about it and felt terrible all the time or thought someone was always out to get him. I just had to do it when he wasn't expecting it.

So he goes up this long staircase (no railings) to look out over the city and as I go to talk to him I briefly saw (before I accidentally pushed it) a conversation option to push him off the ledge. And he proceeded to be shocked as he fell to his death.

I was pretty shocked because I had skipped a lot of his dialog and hadn't seen that coming at all. I couldn't reload though since my last save/autosave was a few hours back.

More recently in Mass Effect 2 I felt absolutely AWFUL about letting the NPCs in the oil refinery die during Zaeed's loyalty mission. The whole rest of the level you just hear them screaming over explosions as they burn alive. I wanted to reload but was determined to play it out since it was the first time through that scenario with that Shepard (and first time making that choice with ANY Shepard). Huge amounts of regret.