Having difficulty understanding transgendered people? I'll try to help.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Aelinsaar said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Actually the stigmatization in the LGBT community can be worse. I have a friend who is a transwoman, who was beaten by gay men, who attempted to rape her in the same incident, I've had lesbians throw punches at me(and get thrown by me using my martial skills) purely because I'm trans. This doesn't lessen violence, it's actually an excuse that because we're part of the community, obviously we were attacked for a reason of our own fault. It's better to be a small pod of orca, rather than a school of fish that tend to feed on each other.
That's disgusting... except for your martial arts skills which are awesome.

I'm always baffled by oppressed people turning around and taking it out on the next person down the rung. Not surprised, not even all that confused, but... it's always so weird.
That's part of group think mentality, if you're a minority then it's easy to use your position as a platform to pick on an another minority, or small parts of the majority for that matter. Which in the trans community is something you almost never see, because at the very least, in my experience we have a lot of empathy for others. I think it has to do with the fact that we're not only abused, but our situation requires psychological help for basic necessary things, like transition.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
So, what would you do differently in the USA and elsewhere from what's being done now?
Easy ... dismiss the HRC and any of its hellspawn organizations from EVER having public approval of trangender rights lobbying and litigation, at the very least not without our own lobbyists there to oversee the entire matter. Make it a seperate bill, and organise our power brokers to support trans people, their spouses, their children.

There's a reason the HRC tries to pretend to cater to trans people. Because we're stronger than you make us out to be. We have all the right philosophy on our side; "Liberty, freedom, emancipation of expression." We have ALL of that stuff working for us. We need to alter the dialogue however ... that won't happen whilst being attached to an essentialist acronym that pretends we're the same and runs counter to proposed ideals of libertarianism.

So, for starters, we should stop pretending the (non-trans) gays will be part of our liberation. Targeted reform packages that work within the guidelines of a US legislatures espoused promise towards the liberty of Americans.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
[asshole]That's funny, I always thought transgendered people had trouble understanding themselves! (rimshot) [/asshole]

Sorry, couldn't resist. I was probably ninja'd on that but I'm not reading nine pages to find out.

I get the identity issues thing. Good luck getting others to understand. The world is a place of vast ignorance........

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Johnny Impact said:
[asshole]That's funny, I always thought transgendered people had trouble understanding themselves! (rimshot) [/asshole]

Sorry, couldn't resist. I was probably ninja'd on that but I'm not reading nine pages to find out.

I get the identity issues thing. Good luck getting others to understand. The world is a place of vast ignorance........
Nope, you got it first, surprised somebody didn't pull it earlier either. That was equal parts face palm and laugh.

I've had plenty of success thus far except for one person who was blatantly not going to get it, and trying to derail the thread into an insult war.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Aelinsaar said:
It can be a very dangerous thing IMO, to attribute to ignorance, what is really raw selfishness and self-interest.
Oh certainly, there's an awful lot of willful ignorance going around.

It was also pointed out to me that the people claiming not to know anything about trans issues generally have somehow found out a bunch of slurs and harmful stereotypes about trans people.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Aelinsaar said:
It can be a very dangerous thing IMO, to attribute to ignorance, what is really raw selfishness and self-interest.
Oh certainly, there's an awful lot of willful ignorance going around.

It was also pointed out to me that the people claiming not to know anything about trans issues generally have somehow found out a bunch of slurs and harmful stereotypes about trans people.
The slurs and harmful stereotypes usually exist outside of the actuality of the community they address, this is especially true when it comes to transgender people.

The willful ignorance comes as part of a willingness and desire to discriminate and having an argument, no matter how flawed, to back it up.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The slurs and harmful stereotypes usually exist outside of the actuality of the community they address, this is especially true when it comes to transgender people.

The willful ignorance comes as part of a willingness and desire to discriminate and having an argument, no matter how flawed, to back it up.
Yar ... difference between free speech, and freeze peach. Primary problem of the whole libertarian angle. People who would seek to oppress others by being protected under libertarian virtues. That being said, you have the flipside were nobody can say anything.

But what I always find odd is the argument of; that nobody can be critical because the <insert random gripe about 'PC' stuff here>... which more often than not gives a nice skip to my heart. Mainly because it means that there are people saying; "Well, don't also have an equal and valid right to their self expression? Why does yours trump theirs?"

It's like ... yeah, funnily enough people have a right to own their expression and defend it. Principles of liberty ... you have those that allow people to own their expression and promote it, and you have people who wish to tear down other's expression and hide behind the shield of free speech. Turning around and being critical of the latter is not some great affront to liberty, it's the promotion of liberty.

I would like to think people are starting to understand that there is a difference between propping up the shield of free expression, and merely hiding behind it. Some groups of people do, and this is growing that more and more people are allowed their self-expression and it should be promoted, and there's nothing wrong with simply acknowledging another person's self-expression. If someone tells me they're a Christian ... I have no problem with seeing them as a Christian. If someone tells me they're a Christian, and therefore my (as in 'another') self-identity is invalid ... then why exactly do I have to accept that? Surely I am allowed equal negation of another if I so face it?

People having a problem about me is still them having the problem. It does not correlate to the validity of self for those confronted with another's problems. In the end, the question should always be; "What promotes the greatest liberty for all involved?"

But I don't expect some grand enlightenment to occur anytime soon.

I'd be content for political equality first, from there you can start to build equality in the social dynamic. It's about shifting sands, a lot of times. Shifting mountains can only occur when enough weight has been co-ordinated. And trans people tend to be the most patient of people. Patience is a false virtue however, it should have reasonable limitations. There does come to a point where you have to put your foot down and say; 'No, this is who I am and I'll not compromise on my rights to self.'

Captcha: 'i'm (sic) only human"

Should I nod or be frightened that it's beginning to show an appeal to nature fallacy as justification?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
PaulH said:
Yar ... difference between free speech, and freeze peach. Primary problem of the whole libertarian angle. People who would seek to oppress others by being protected under libertarian virtues. That being said, you have the flipside were nobody can say anything.

But what I always find odd is the argument of; that nobody can be critical because the <insert random gripe about 'PC' stuff here>... which more often than not gives a nice skip to my heart. Mainly because it means that there are people saying; "Well, don't also have an equal and valid right to their self expression? Why does yours trump theirs?"

It's like ... yeah, funnily enough people have a right to own their expression and defend it. Principles of liberty ... you have those that allow people to own their expression and promote it, and you have people who wish to tear down other's expression and hide behind the shield of free speech. Turning around and being critical of the latter is not some great affront to liberty, it's the promotion of liberty.

I would like to think people are starting to understand that there is a difference between propping up the shield of free expression, and merely hiding behind it. Some groups of people do, and this is growing that more and more people are allowed their self-expression and it should be promoted, and there's nothing wrong with simply acknowledging another person's self-expression. If someone tells me they're a Christian ... I have no problem with seeing them as a Christian. If someone tells me they're a Christian, and therefore my (as in 'another') self-identity is invalid ... then why exactly do I have to accept that? Surely I am allowed equal negation of another if I so face it?

People having a problem about me is still them having the problem. It does not correlate to the validity of self for those confronted with another's problems. In the end, the question should always be; "What promotes the greatest liberty for all involved?"

But I don't expect some grand enlightenment to occur anytime soon.

I'd be content for political equality first, from there you can start to build equality in the social dynamic. It's about shifting sands, a lot of times. Shifting mountains can only occur when enough weight has been co-ordinated. And trans people tend to be the most patient of people. Patience is a false virtue however, it should have reasonable limitations. There does come to a point where you have to put your foot down and say; 'No, this is who I am and I'll not compromise on my rights to self.'

Captcha: 'i'm (sic) only human"

Should I nod or be frightened that it's beginning to show an appeal to nature fallacy as justification?
Of course that's the fact, bigots have been using the things like free speech, freedom of religion, and unequal comparisons to back up their flawed world views forever. They also use ignorance and rejection of fact to back up their views. One reason is because it's easier to reject someone, than change one's world view for something as inconvenient to them as the fact that minorities have problems, or gay and transgender people exist. Also due to a lack of understanding it's easier to fear and hate what you don't understand than become educated. This is the unfortunate truth of human nature, it's always easier to hate, fear, and reject, rather than learn, understand and accept. It becomes especially true if being different means asking anything of them, even if it's as simple as asking for the right gender pronouns.

Luckily when information starts getting around the bigoted individuals start finding them selves in a smaller and smaller minority as people learn more and leave them behind. That's why trans people becoming more visible in the past decade and a half, with the help of the Internet is a good thing. Even if that makes the really rabid haters even more vocal than before. Actually that helps too, because that hurts the their cause, because they're showing their true colors as raging crazies.

Metailurus

Roar
Apr 2, 2015
Of course that's the fact, bigots have been using the things like free speech, freedom of religion, and unequal comparisons to back up their flawed world views forever. They also use ignorance and rejection of fact to back up their views.
Why does your choice to be offended trump freedom of speech?

I actually do have some difficulty understanding transgender people, maybe you can help, after all this is what this thread is about, is it not? So right to the point;

I have a tough time considering transgender people to be something other than their original gender. The reality is that they were born a certain way, and while I can recognise that they feel incompatible with their body (which is fair enough btw, In a world where there are very few absolutes I can accept that someone may be uncomfortable with their body for any number of reasons, even if I can never understand that reason) ultimately even if they go have an operation they essentially still have most of the same plumbing and are never fully technically the opposite gender.

I haven't been able to word this next bit well, but hopefully it comes across clearly enough: Another thing that supports this conception is that you can generally get a sense, even without meeting someone physically, by how someone conducts themselves in discourse whether they are/were male or female with what I think is a reasonable degree of accuracy. Referencing male to female (as that seems to be the majority and the most transgender that I have run across), it seems to me that they mostly still come across as being male, and I think that this is something they understand they are doing too as sometimes they seem to try to address this by emphasising their gender far too hard.

Using an example: I previously (occasionally) played/play MechWarrior Online, and have been in a team for most of that time. At one point we had a transgender applicant who effectively was probably recently post op, and basically tried to frame everything in a cutesy/feminine way, which gave the impression that something was off, that they were attention seeking and trying the special snowflake routine.

When other females in the team happened to be playing they strongly tried to push typical female topics (like dieting, children or other garbage you would run across in typical workplace office chatter) in an effort to highlight their new gender. Bearing in mind that these females are gamers, it fell on deaf ears and felt extremely out of place. Couple that with not being willing to speak on teamspeak (We all knew about their situation, we didn't care. People were there to play a game, not discuss their gender) their clumsy social conduct made it very difficult for team members to accept this person (there were other reasons, but lets not pretend that gender wasn't part) and ultimately we did not take them.

Physically it is also extremely rare that a transgender person actually looks like the gender they have changed to. Male to female often look like drag queens, especially as they get older, and this can make people uncomfortable with them straight off the bat.

Basically, given that physically, (what I would consider to be a) full change is never truly possible as far as I know, and that my (admittedly limited) past experiences with transgender people highlight that there is a marked difference in social interaction by males and females, I privately consider transgender to be of their original gender, although publically I just try to avoid gender reference where possible when it is on shaky ground.

I would go so far as to say that it is arguably unfair that in the first world we have been browbeaten socially into having to tiptoe around it and referring to someone as being something we don't believe them to actually be. It feels extremely dishonest to have to pretend something that you do not believe simply in order to keep the peace in a conversation.

So I guess, feel free to provide commentary on my view of physical gender swap, and let me know if it is possible to get around the discomfort of transgender people typically "feeling off" somehow.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Metailurus said:
Of course that's the fact, bigots have been using the things like free speech, freedom of religion, and unequal comparisons to back up their flawed world views forever. They also use ignorance and rejection of fact to back up their views.
Why does your choice to be offended trump freedom of speech
It doesn't but your freedom of speech does also not trump my personal expression, or freedom to it.

Metailurus said:
I actually do have some difficulty understanding transgender people, maybe you can help, after all this is what this thread is about, is it not? So right to the point;

I have a tough time considering transgender people to be something other than their original gender. The reality is that they were born a certain way, and while I can recognise that they feel incompatible with their body (which is fair enough btw, In a world where there are very few absolutes I can accept that someone may be uncomfortable with their body for any number of reasons, even if I can never understand that reason) ultimately even if they go have an operation they essentially still have most of the same plumbing and are never fully technically the opposite gender.

I haven't been able to word this next bit well, but hopefully it comes across clearly enough: Another thing that supports this conception is that you can generally get a sense, even without meeting someone physically, by how someone conducts themselves in discourse whether they are/were male or female with what I think is a reasonable degree of accuracy. Referencing male to female (as that seems to be the majority and the most transgender that I have run across), it seems to me that sometimes they try to address they and emphasise their gender far too hard.

Using an example: I previously (occasionally) played/play MechWarrior Online, and have been in a team for most of that time. At one point we had a transgender applicant who effectively was probably recently post op, and basically tried to frame everything in a cutesy/feminine way, which gave the impression that something was off, that they were attention seeking and trying the special snowflake routine.

When other females in the team happened to be playing they strongly tried to push typical female topics (like dieting, children or other garbage you would run across in typical workplace office chatter) in an effort to highlight their new gender. Bearing in mind that these females are gamers, it fell on deaf ears and felt extremely out of place. Couple that with not being willing to speak on teamspeak (We all knew about their situation, we didn't care. People were there to play a game, not discuss their gender) their clumsy social conduct made it very difficult for team members to accept this person (there were other reasons, but lets not pretend that gender wasn't part) and ultimately we did not take them.

Physically it is also extremely rare that a transgender person actually looks like the gender they have changed to. Male to female often look like drag queens, especially as they get older, and this can make people uncomfortable with them straight off the bat.

Basically, given that physically, (what I would consider to be a) full change is never truly possible as far as I know, and that my (admittedly limited) past experiences with transgender people highlight that there is a marked difference in social interaction by males and females, I privately consider transgender to be of their original gender, although publically I just try to avoid gender reference where possible when it is on shaky ground.

I would go so far as to say that it is arguably unfair that in the first world we have been browbeaten socially into having to tiptoe around it and referring to someone as being something we don't believe them to actually be.

So I guess, feel free to provide commentary on my view of physical gender swap, and let me know if it is possible to get around the discomfort of transgender people typically "feeling off" somehow.
What you're speaking of is a reference to a trans person who more likely than not was either very insecure with passing, or very early in their transition. At least with the example you gave. It can be hard to gauge which, generally the less a trans person passes, the more insecure they are with their gender presentation, and that can hang on a while even when/if they pass flawlessly.

In a social situation it can vary widely person to person with trans people, a big contributing factor is how long they were in the closet before transition. Another big factor is how much they idealize female stereotypes, the more so, the more they'll tend to adhere to it, plus there is also what era of femininity they idealize. This can lead to massive overcompensation on the part of a trans person, generally it's less noticeable with transmen, because if they over compensate they're often seen as a macho or insecure but otherwise regular dude. Though this actually not a fair examination of all trans people, especially when we start earlier in life with transition.

Physically it can be fairly obvious, or not depending on how overtly masculine the person was to startwith and how much work they've had done. A lot of trans people don't have the resources for exhaustive work so may not physically pass very well, this is argued to be a medical problem too, and that medical insurance should cover it. That's neither here nor there, a lot of trans people when fully transitioned will have put in the work, again will pass better if they started earlier. I've never had a problem passing as female my self, being androgynous at the best, and couldn't pass as male in my young life.

To be fair most trans people you'd meet anymore, especially younger ones, you'd never peg for trans. They don't fall into the social fauxpas that some do, they don't have an overt bias towards stereotypes, so they take their cues for what's appropriate for the group dynamic they're in. Physically you'll have a hard time spotting a trans person who took the time, effort, and expense to perfect their appearance, this is one thing starting on HRT early helps dramatically with.

But in summation generally you'll not be able to tell a trans person is trans, most of my trans friends, both transmen and transwomen for example pass easily. Most of them also had the chance to start transitioning around young adulthood, and already new the social gender rules of the gender they transitioned to. Some of them had to have extensive work done to pass, some only minor, some took none at all. But between me and the ones who pass if you met us in person, you'd probably never know unless told that we were trans. Some of my friends pass less, but you'd probably not peg them for trans either, though you might get the impression if you looked really hard. Also there are some biological women with hormonal imbalances and other issues that make them look far more masculine than most other women, and you'd probably peg them as trans because of the bias you show. So face value is often not a good example and behavior can be misleading, because many natural males and females adhere to the gender stereotypes pretty strictly anyways.

As for your last part point. While there are no ways currently to preform a full biological sex change(and there may never be), it's still considered most commonly polite to refer to a trans person as the gender they present as. If you mess up on gender pronouns, or something, a simple apology and an attempt to use the preferred pronouns is really all it takes to make ammends. I know it can be hard, some my cisgender friends often have trouble fully wrapping their head around it and accidentally out me by misgendering me often enough. Hell my gay and very few limited friends have the worst trouble with it. As to it being unfair to respect our wishes and treat us gently? Remember that transgender people all go through really ridiculous amounts of being ostracized, berated, bullied, emotionally abused, and often enough physically abused. This isn't the same as most people and even other ostracized groups get, like say how nerds and geeks were treated in the past. For trans people we get denied on a fundamental level respect for who we are, and the abuses we suffer are enough to cause a shockingly high suicide rate in the group, to be even more shockingly high. So is it really all that unfair to ask to be treated the way identify, rather than the way we've been forced? Being denied your identity is really one of the biggest driving causes in the trans community for suicide, while you don't have to take responsibility for it, because honestly you're not really at fault, making it easier on us helps lessen this.

Now on a personal level what might help, is if you try to consider in your own mind that transwomen are women and that transmen are men. Think of it like this if it helps: Imagine that your brain and everything that makes you, you as a person was suddenly put into a the opposite sex's body. Now then this would essentially make you trans. So you have two options, you can either deny the person you've always known you are and try to function as the opposite sex, but this is nearly impossible and on a mental health level extremely damaging. Your other option is to transition as much as possible into being the opposite sex, so your body matches your mind. Which would you choose? A bit of putting yourself into our shoes. We're not pretending, we're not trying to deceive, we're trying to be who we are on a deep personal identity level. So having support from people, even those who don't necessarily agree with our gender dysphoria, or who are uncomfortable with us, really helps make our lives a lot easier. Take in to consideration that being transgender is a very difficult life to have to start with.

I hope that helps you out.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
That's a very complete answer, one of the best I think I've gotten without dragging it out of someone online. I don't know how long it would take you, but yeah I think what you describe is probably the way to go. May I ask what you do for a living, or study? You present remarkably cogent and complete arguments...
I used to work for the Department of Education & Training for a short while. But yeah, I have one diploma, two degrees, working on a masters, and working towards a second diploma. All from top 50 QS world ranked universities.

Not bad for someone with a S&B standardised 84 IQ score. Fuck people in Mensa.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
Ah yes... the IQ test... nothing wrong with that cherry. /s
Well, yeah. IQ tests ... The old Stanford-Binet tests were pretty lousy at determining true IQ. And I've always been a believer of multiple intelligences. I was big into Gardner before it was cool .... #HipsterStudent

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
Hehe... I just have an image of someone poring over tests, a partially finished Rey-Osterrieth complex figure in the background... while they make their own artisinal bacon.
I suck at stuff like that. I can multitask like a mofo, but spatial awareness, replicating scales, or difficult geometric shapes I suck at. I actually somewhat conquered the spatial awareness thing by getting BIG in to sport as a kid. Sport is therapeutic. I mean ... I kind of think it's a joke people getting millions of dollars for it, but it actually helped me heaps.

I tried to do a lot of visual arts as a kid. Dad was a teacher and he noticed I was pretty slow and had difficult replicating visual objects from memory. So he started me off with three point perspective drawing? In some ways kind of like R-O because it's a bit like Dutch still life paintings. You paint what you see, as you see it, as perfectly as you can.

It's ... just, well ... 'bombed' in a word. So I wouldn't even get past the Copy stage very well ... but in a lot of ways I conquered the short-term, long-term memory store stuff that could somewhat be examined in an R-O test by using the Link Method memory retrieval system. By picturing words, and meaning, as to physical locations of familiarity, so that I increased the neuron connections to individual ideas, concepts, meanings.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Aelinsaar said:
Same here actually, with sports as well, and then later games helped to refine that. The trick is learning to find your "zone", accept that you're not going to muscle through the spatial stuff, and develop workarounds. I think we've read the same books on memory too... unless I miss my guess.
Pretty much. Well the sport thathelped me was tennis actually. Technically good, but no physical talent. But it helped with the whole force over distance, accuracy and perspective type of stuff. If you're close to the net, knowing which balls you need to chase and which ones which will fall 'out'. It did help, and because you need to make snap decisions it helps really drive home some of the stuff I was naturally deficient in due to Klinefelter's.

But you're right ... it requires a multi-disciplinary approach. THe thing is that you don't need to be super-smart to score the best grades. Simply being organised puts you about 8 points ahead on the bell curve compared to most students.

As for the memory stuff, it's been about .... 7 years since I studied cognition indepthly? I'm doing applied psychology at the moment. As I've been more interested in the therapeutical aspects rather than research and mechanics of the brain.