HeartGold and SoulSilver's Pokéwalker Requires Thousand Mile Trek

Danz D Man

Jun 26, 2008
Nimbus said:
I had something similar as a kid. I didn't know you were supposed to actually walk, so I spent hours and hours shaking the damn thing. By hand. Seriously.
Me too, was it a "Pokemon Pikachu?" That thing was awesome!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, you know I've only played Pokemon Platinum for a couple of hours, but this DOES sound interesting and Bizzarre. Maybe I'll have to get one just so I can find some way to cheat with it.

I wonder what would happen if I was to say attach it to a Gerbil wheel or something. :p

I can see it now PETA going berserk claiming that the entire thing was contrived as a method to torture house pets, since I imagine I can't be alone in thinking that dogs, cats, rodents, etc... would be a logical thing to attach it to somehow. :p

I do wonder how long it would take a gerbil or hamster to do 1000 miles on a wheel though.

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
LeonLethality said:
remember digivices? yea we just shook 'em. cheating or not we are lazy.
Ahhh, digivices, long hours of looking like an idiot, begging the screen to let me win this event, and hand cramps.

Good times. Gooood times...*continues shaking Pokewalker*

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I've already come up with a way to cheat, I'll attach it to my Cocker Spaniels leg, she runs around the house for hours upon hours each day. At the end of the month I will have unlocked every special in the entire game.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Elaborate Cheating Device? Why not just stick it on top of the washer or something?
'Ell, I could just hook it to Raffles, that dog shakes more than an Epileptic at a Rave (No offense to any users with Epilepsy who somehow got past Ubilub's Avatar).

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
We're nerds here, right? Surely we just strap it to our wrists and we'll be done in a couple of days.

I'm insinuating we masturbate a lot... XP

But seriously, there's obviously some way to cheat it.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Cheating? I bought the game today and found that the internal mechanism of the poke'walker instantly adds about ten to twenty steps when I tilt it slightly off kilter, and only stops when I force it vertical or horizontal. Maybe mine is extra sensitive or something.

I also don't understand why the poke'walker turns itself off after a few minutes while I'm walking. I believe it still counts my steps... But it is terribly disconcerting.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Wow, that is awesome. I can't wait for to get Heart Gold now. I'll take it out on my daily jogs, and have a new hobby rather than masturbation xD.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Let's see, I walk 5 miles a day on average, I should in theory get it done before this time next year...

...although I wouldn't want to get caught wearing it.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Yopaz said:
Loop Stricken said:
At last, an excuse for my 1am jaunts around the neighbourhood!

Okay, not a fantastic excuse but nonetheless.
Don't be silly, that's an excellent excuse. Still no excuse is needed for a good old walk around the neighbourhood. I used to do that all the time. I didn't have any neighbours though...

This does sound kinda rough, but it should be possible to cover 1000 miles in not too long. Just counting treadmill I jog 5 on a good week and walk to the gym, school and work. That should make be able to make this in not too long, but for most of the kids playing this will be as good as impossible without cheating. I should offer people to jog with their pokewalker for money or maybe rare Pokemon... Any suggestions on how much I should charge?
Edit:
That means it would take 200 days at an average of four miles per day to unlock everything.
I think this math is wrong... 200 days with 4 miles make only 800 miles.
How did it take 18 posts for someone to realise this?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Nimbus said:
I had something similar as a kid. I didn't know you were supposed to actually walk, so I spent hours and hours shaking the damn thing. By hand. Seriously.
Was thinking of suggesting just that. (man, am I lazy or what? But then again I'm 5'8" and on a really good day weigh 120 lbs, so I guess I don't need anymore exercise.)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
this is the most awesome thing ever, i can imagine going to work then half way there, run home, swearing all the way because i forgot my pokewalker and just missed out on some extra steps.

once again Nintendo shows a interest in making kids get exercise while gaming (sorta).

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Okay, I can see what they were trying to do: encourage the geeks to get out and exercise. The only problem is we're talking about GEEKS here. They had to know their target audience would find some way around this.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Easy to cheat a pedometer. Shake it up and down. Thinks your walking. shake it fast, thinks your running.

So strap it to the right arm of your younger cousin whos in his early teens and you'll probs get your 1000 miles in 5 days :)

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
Awesome. I've been meaning to explore my new neighbourhood. Now I have motivation.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its not a bad idea. LEts people walk with it and do something with there pokemon even when they are out and about.

But, I see the cheats appearing already...and ways to get around it, heh