Heavy Rain Creator: "The U.S. Has Problems With My Games"

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Shameless said:
Here is how to make your games sell in the US Mr.Cage, make them into actual games rather than a QTE fest with a plot with more holes than a sponge.
Thank you kind sir. Dear God in heaven this dude reeked with Pretentiousness the moment he said that. MAKE A FREAKING GAME THEN!!
Do you have any idea how many times I said "WTF!?" when it kept receiving as much praise at it did!?!

You mean to honestly tell me that an interactive(Interactive in the sense of Push X to do this) story book deserves game of the year!?!
I was so happy the moment I heard Yahtzee rip this game a new one and crushed alot of the hype around this overrated game. If I can even call it a game.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
Andy Chalk said:
"The only way to solve this is to keep at it; game after game, get more trust," he said. "Show them how successful you are, and hope that eventually they, and the whole industry, will turn around."
Because that totally works for Uwe Boll.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh you my dear friend have made my day with that post.

Reminds me how that Egocentric ass tried and proposed a Metal Gear Solid movie to Kojima.
Kojima simply said No. Never have I cried tears of Joy over a game.....Ironically enough though Kojima loves to fill his plot holes with some very convenient if not convoluted plot devices.

Apr 28, 2008
Serving UpSmiles said:
Irridium said:
Sounds about right, and further re-enforces the chart.

Who made this wonderful thing, I need to give credit because it holds so much truth.
Alas, I don't know. Found it while browsing the vast sea of the internet(google image search). Forgot to check the original source.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
So he wants people to buy his games so that his name will spread and he'll be a full-fledged auteur, but he's upset that a million people bought it used?

Someone needs to tell this hypocrite that beggars can't be choosers.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Yeah i know foreign game and animation makers have nightmarish experiences with the fucking retards behind American localization, especially when it comes to the fucking cover art, but he'll have to take some responsibility himself and find ways to advertise it and also...
...oh i don't know...
BOOST THE FUCKING PACE A LITTLE!?

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
theres a typo in the article

David Cage doesn't make "normal" games.

it should be David Cage doesn't make "good" games.
And here we go again.

All those who haven't played the games and just want to flame Heavy Rain et al please form an orderly queue...

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain were great games. They are just not highly marketable though, much like Shadow of the Collosus, God hand, Okami etc aren't going to be household names even though they are brilliant.

He has a right to speak his mind about it but then again so do alot of other developers with underappreciated games.

Oh and he is right about one thing. Indigo Prophecy is a shit name.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Here's the problem mr.cage, you keep making interactive fiction, but you're not very good at writing fiction. Combine that with the fact that your games tend not to be very fun to play, and we get the equivalent of watching some third rate Mystery made-for-tv movie but much much longer because we have to pilot every poorly written character around like a truck with a broken axle. It's not that they don't have guns, it's that they're poorly written and boring.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
thefreeman0001 said:
theres a typo in the article

David Cage doesn't make "normal" games.

it should be David Cage doesn't make "good" games.
And here we go again.

All those who haven't played the games and just want to flame Heavy Rain et al please form an orderly queue...

Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain were great games. They are just not highly marketable though, much like Shadow of the Collosus, God hand, Okami etc aren't going to be household names even though they are brilliant.

He has a right to speak his mind about it but then again so do alot of other developers with underappreciated games.

Did you honestly compare shadow of the colossus to Heavy rain? That is just...you are...just get out.
Seriously.
Get out. GET OUT.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
We're pretty much just beating a dead horse at this point. Anyways, I don't know why he says it didn't sell well in the US and that Americans have trouble with this game when I doubt this game sold well anywhere.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Piecewise said:
Ubermetalhed said:
And here we go again.

Did you honestly compare shadow of the colossus to Heavy rain? That is just...you are...just get out.
Seriously.
Get out. GET OUT.
I was making the point that unique games like Shadow of the Collosus and Heavy Rain aren't going to sell as well as games like COD regardless of how good they are.

And I didn't directly compare them, not that it should matter anyway unless you are that much of an idiot...oh wait.

So how about you 'GET OUT'.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Maybe he should learn how to write stories without plot holes if he wants to make story-based games and have them sell well. That would be the first step.

Second step would be to hire Anglophone voice actors to do the English voices. And good actors, too. That's kind of important when half your game is dialogue.

And third step would be to stop acting like a dick when some people don't like your work.

That said, I loved Heavy Rain and quite liked Indigo Prophecy (or at least the first three quarters of Indigo Prophecy. The endgame was shit.)

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Put The Nomad Soul and Fahrenheit on GoG. They will likely sell there.
I know I'd buy them.

ChaosReaver

Sep 4, 2009
I didn't bother with the game because the trailer made it look like it was full of whiny angst. I don't like that kind of thing in my games.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
But I don't own a PS3, so I can't buy Heavy Rain. That's your own fault for making it an exclusive. I'm sure my father would have shelled out the cash if it was universal.

I watched my father play the first one though. He enjoys it, but I can't be bothered to play it. The fact that my bit was, play until you find the right combination that lets us get to the next part...well, that wasn't very fun for long.

I praise Mr. Cage for finding a game that knocked me out of my insomnia though! Thanks for that.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
Piecewise said:
Ubermetalhed said:
And here we go again.

Seriously.
Get out. GET OUT.
I was making the point that unique games like Shadow of the Collosus and Heavy Rain aren't going to sell as well as games like COD regardless of how good they are.

And I didn't directly compare them, not that it should matter anyway unless you are that much of an idiot...oh wait.

So how about you 'GET OUT'.
And again, misspelling COLOSSUS. Is it that hard? CO-LOSS-US.

And yes, unique games tend not to sell, but that wasn't why heavy rain didn't sell. Heavy rain didn't sell because it wasn't very good. It was held up on two basic points, the graphics and the "unique" game play, but in the end the gameplay consisted of an incredibly slow series of quicktime events and dragging two dimensional characters who might as well have had their parts within the generic crime novel plot tattooed on their foreheads. And even the graphics turned out to be less then stellar on many occasions.

And what ticks me off is that you're acting like it's on equal footing with something like SOTC simply because they are both unique. And yes, Heavy rain is unique, it's unique in much the same way that a modern doctor using trepidation is unique. It's not worthy of being compared.