Hello Kitty Meets Hooters

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

The first 1,000 customers to visit a Hooter's branch in Tokyo will receive a limited edition Hello Kitty pin.

That image on the right? That's an official Hello Kitty design, not one of those 'ironic' knock-offs desperate-to-be-cool types get tattooed on their midriffs. Sanrio has teamed up with Hooters for a Valentine's day promotion. I'm really not surprised, since her inception in 1974, 'Kitty White' has been used to shill just about anything you can think of, from purses, clothes and jewelry to cars, planes, teeth, massagers (both internal and external) and guns. When modern civilization is reduced to ash, and our irradiated descendants are left to sift through the ruins of our culture they'll probably assume we worshiped the dress-wearing, albino feline as some kind of god, and they will laugh. When they're not busy fending off giant scorpions and squabbling over the last remaining cans of Hello Kitty-themed spaghetti hoops, that is.

Still, this particular crossover just doesn't sit right with me, even when compared to the Hello Kitty assault rifle [http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hello-kitty-assault-rifle.jpg]. 'Kitty-chan' is designed to appeal to women and young children, and I can't think of a restaurant less appealing to those two demographics than Hooters. There's also the question of how Kitty would get a job at Hooters and earn the distinguished uniform in the first place, seeing as she lacks the qualities the company looks for in its serving staff.

Regardless, the "special parfait" wielded by the suspiciously well-endowed waitress in this ad does seem delicious [http://www.hooters.co.jp/news/index.php/view/71], even if it does seem to resemble some kind of monstrous monument to human gluttony. The 'Volcano of Love,' as it's called, will cost you ¥2,400, around $30 USD. And your dignity.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
I recently moved to America, went to hooters, a girl with big tits and a pretty face gave me food, it was nice.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I was dragged into hooters once by my friend against my will. I had trouble ordering D:

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Grey Carter said:
massagers (both internal and external)
I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Regardless of that particular point, I have to agree with you. Hello Kitty isn't really a guy's thing and Hooters is, so it sounds like some people are getting their wires crossed. Unless Japan is slowly trying to move their official religion over to worship 'Kitty White' as their goddess?

That'd be... interesting.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yeah I've never really liked hooters so I can't say this makes me happy. If maybe there was a store as popular as hooters that had scantily clad MALE waiters running around then I wouldn't mind it so much but that's another thing all together.

But hey if Sanrio wants to whore out there little kitty, I certainly can't stop them. I just don't think people should things to encourage little girls to want to grow up and work in a hooters.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bernzz said:
Grey Carter said:
I wished I was reading that wrong!

A cat-girl self-pleasuring device...
*clutches head in agony*CAN'T...UNTHINK...IMAGE...can't...get....[sub]clean...[/sub]

Seriously. A valentine's day promotion for HOOTERS (A great place to take your girlfriend!)?
The Hello Kitty part is just...well, it makes it weird. That's all I can say.

Now if you excuse me. I need to find a bottle of brain-bleach...

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I had a friend who wanted to order Hooters wings to-go and I was just like "...Why? If you wanna go to Hooters, lets go to Hooters. If you want great wings, we'll go to Wild Wings Cafe which is closer and get better wings for cheaper. I'm not driving us to Hooters if we're not gonna even eat there."

We ended up just making the five minute drive to KFC.

In regards to this...honestly it doesn't even really surprise me. When I lived in Japan I had a friend who wore socks with the Playboy Bunny on them and I asked her "You know what that is, right?" and she was like "Yeah, it's Playboy" but she didn't actually know what Playboy was lol

Sexualized stuff with no real sexual implications seems to be a thing over there.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Haven't actually been to hooters, which is prolly due to my lack of going out, spending money, and being around other people, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the more messed up combinations I've seen.

oh, and the link to the japanese site with the tits isn't working for me

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
A cat-girl self-pleasuring device...
*clutches head in agony*CAN'T...UNTHINK...IMAGE...can't...get....[sub]clean...[/sub]
Cat with a goddamn teddy bear, if you can believe it.

Available in several colors.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Cat with a goddamn teddy bear, if you can believe it.

Available in several colors.
Now I know what it felt like to be strapped in the chair in A Clockwork Orange.

Sigh. If there is anything seriously disturbing, it's taking something as innocent and cute looking as Hello Kitty and applying it to...something like that.

But at least it comes in several colors!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Why do so many people on these forums get so freaked out by anything to do with sex? It puzzles me.

OT: Hello Kitty and Hooters. That is certainly a weird combination. I guess if that's what Sanrio wanna do, well... I just don't see the two having any common ground at all.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Bernzz said:
Grey Carter said:

Regardless of that particular point, I have to agree with you. Hello Kitty isn't really a guy's thing and Hooters is, so it sounds like some people are getting their wires crossed. Unless Japan is slowly trying to move their official religion over to worship 'Kitty White' as their goddess?

That'd be... interesting.
Yeah... No. You aren't. I wish you were, but I've seen the proof...

I thought the hello Kitty vibrator was the most incongruous idea imaginable.
Guess I was wrong.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Strain42 said:
I had a friend who wanted to order Hooters wings to-go and I was just like "...Why? If you wanna go to Hooters, lets go to Hooters. If you want great wings, we'll go to Wild Wings Cafe which is closer and get better wings for cheaper. I'm not driving us to Hooters if we're not gonna even eat there."

We ended up just making the five minute drive to KFC.

In regards to this...honestly it doesn't even really surprise me. When I lived in Japan I had a friend who wore socks with the Playboy Bunny on them and I asked her "You know what that is, right?" and she was like "Yeah, it's Playboy" but she didn't actually know what Playboy was lol

Sexualized stuff with no real sexual implications seems to be a thing over there.
I try not to think of the frequency with which I see 10-20 year old girls wearing playboy merchandise...
That's not something entirely exclusive to Japan.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
what...i dont even

Grey Carter said:

The first 1,000 customers to visit a Hooter's branch in Tokyo will receive a limited edition Hello Kitty pin.

ohhhh japan, then it makes more sense

though really does japan know that it has become the country that people say 'oh its japan you have to expect weird stuff from them' or would this view of their country confound them

not that im saying mine is any less strange...but its strange is normal...this is sounding too xenophobic isnt it?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Hooters Tokyo is only mediocre as far as Hooters goes. Take that for what you will.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Eh, Japan's done weirder things with Hello Kitty.

Like "Hello BDSM". [http://www.kittyhell.com/2007/01/18/hello-kitty-love-hotel-bondage/]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The link to the photo of the advertisement seems to be defunct, at least of this writing.

There is another version (probably smaller) of what I assume is the same ad here:
[link]http://alibi.com/blog/40408/Valentines-Day-is-Different-in-Japan.html[/link]