Help me see into the mind of a guy.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
You may catch him looking at you, but he caught you looking at him. ;)
But yeah, he probably has a thing for you.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
As others have already pointed out, the most likely explanation is that he thinks you're attractive. This does not mean that he likes you or is interested in you personally, but attraction certainly helps those things develop if you get to know a person.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Chancie said:
Alright, I need your guys' opinion on something.

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
Help me, please? :/
He's interested, even though he might not be ready to talk to you or ask you out.

Guys don't magically become romantic Casanovas when girls give them a signal that they like them. In fact, most guys are oblivious to the fact, so being forward with him isn't going to be the solution to his shyness problem.

My suggestion: Hang out with him, become his friend. Or if that's too much trouble, send him a note with a yes/no fill in the blank.

Kids these days.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
Take it from a guy who's done that: at the very least, he thinks your cute. You have two options here: wander up to him and say 'hi', or wait until he works the nerve. Your choice, do what you think is best.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Chancie said:

There's this guy in my college math class who's always staring at me. We sit on opposite sides of the room, and I'm constantly catching him looking over at me. I'm one row behind him, on the opposite end. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance to talk to him or anything like that.
Note, if it helps: Yes, he looks away when I look back. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

My sister is convinced he's got a thing for me. I'm not sure, and I don't want to try anything and sort of "jump the gun," so to speak.

So, I'm asking you guys because I don't really know how the male mind works with that sort of thing. Can staring really equal interest? I thought maybe it was only girls that did that, but I could be wrong...
As a guy, I can understand how this other guy must feel, because I'm exactly the same. I do that when I'm interested in a girl, I recall one memorable occasion on the train home from a nearby town I'd visited when I did the same thing with this really attractive girl sitting a little way away. It was a crowded train, she noticed me looking, and we did keep playing that little 'stare-and-smile' game, but I didn't have the balls to actually say anything to her. And the reason is that the stereotype that guys will be confident enough to ask the girl out is a complete and utter lie. It's nothing but bullshit.

Understanding how this guy must feel, I urge you, as the girl, to make contact. Talk to him, or if you can choose where you sit each class (i.e if seats aren't pre-allocated) then try and sit a bit nearer to him sometime. He won't make first contact, because he's shy, but he's definitely interested. So it's up to you to make first contact yourself. Do it, just talk to him about something, as a casual conversation, and see what happens. And good luck, to you and to him :D.

Oh, and guys, please don't quote me saying things like 'man up' and say that I as a guy need to grow a pair of balls, because I already have them, thank you. There's a difference between having self-confidence, which I do actually have, and having the guts to talk to a girl you like, especially when you don't even know if that girl realises you exist.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
If its happened once or twice, he's either checking you out or its a coincidence. More than that? He likes you. Deffo. He's probably too shy to initiate conversation from the sounds of it, unless he's confident, or has the ego of a tool. Just walk up to him and say hi. You'd be throwing him a major bone. (no pun intended)

- Edit -

ottenni said:
The mind of a guy is a simple thing. At any one time he is either thinking 'mmmmmmm boobs' 'mmmmmm food' or 'mmmmmmmm sleep' or any combination of the three. Try talking to him and watch where his eyes go, that should answer all your questions. And remember, you are a girl so you always have the initiative.
This. If he is interested in what you are saying, and listening, then carry it on. If his eyes stray to Boobtown while talking to you, abandon ship.

- EditEdit -

Speaking for myself, its majorly overwhelming to speak to a girl I like from the off, and I wish I could just instigate conversation, ask them out and be done with it. I suppose its fortunate for me that a lot of the girls I like from the off, turn out to be exactly the kind of girl I hate... damn first impressions, I hate you...

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Sacman said:
He likes you he's just shy...<.< No other explanation unless you have a brain slug on your head...
Damn brain slugs. Always latching on to people's heads.

OT: He's interested in you in some way, and is probably thinking of an excuse to talk to you right now.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
DaJoW said:
Most likely he's interested in you but just shy. He's probably looking at you so much because he's thinking to himself "Why can't I just talk to her?" etc. It's what I used to do at least.

Of course, he could be more of a creep you just likes to look at you. Hard to say without knowing more, but if he were he'd probably not look away.

You could try to keep looking at him after you catch him looking, to see how long it takes until he looks at you again and how he reacts to you looking at him. This could be sending signals you don't want to send of course, but it could provide some insight.
This sounds about right, I will admit that there have been times where I've simply been unable to spit it out, so it may be that he's interested but shy.

If this is the case, I'd make up some excuse to talk to him just to try to get a judge of his character. If he seems like a creep, avoid eye contact from then on and make it obvious that you are not interested. "Catching" him looking at you may be giving off false signals, so he may be under the false pretense that you are interested in him.

If he seems like a decent guy, try to get to know him better. If he's shy enough that he can't break the ice, ask him something simple like "could you help me on this homework problem?" or something along those lines. As long as you get the conversation started, he will most likely be more open about it. Once you get to know him a bit better, then you can take it from there.

Kittenmauler

Aug 19, 2009
ottenni said:
The mind of a guy is a simple thing. At any one time he is either thinking 'mmmmmmm boobs' 'mmmmmm food' or 'mmmmmmmm sleep' or any combination of the three.
That is an unfortunate stereotype. I think about video games a lot too.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
He's into you. If you like him as well, then you should strike up a conversation with him.

And bless your heart if you do talk to him first, because guys usually have to do the approaching and it can be nerve-racking if you're not experienced.(speaking for myself, anyway...)

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Trivun said:
Chancie said:

As a guy, I can understand how this other guy must feel, because I'm exactly the same. I do that when I'm interested in a girl, I recall one memorable occasion on the train home from a nearby town I'd visited when I did the same thing with this really attractive girl sitting a little way away. It was a crowded train, she noticed me looking, and we did keep playing that little 'stare-and-smile' game, but I didn't have the balls to actually say anything to her. And the reason is that the stereotype that guys will be confident enough to ask the girl out is a complete and utter lie. It's nothing but bullshit.

Understanding how this guy must feel, I urge you, as the girl, to make contact. Talk to him, or if you can choose where you sit each class (i.e if seats aren't pre-allocated) then try and sit a bit nearer to him sometime. He won't make first contact, because he's shy, but he's definitely interested. So it's up to you to make first contact yourself. Do it, just talk to him about something, as a casual conversation, and see what happens. And good luck, to you and to him :D.

Oh, and guys, please don't quote me saying things like 'man up' and say that I as a guy need to grow a pair of balls, because I already have them, thank you. There's a difference between having self-confidence, which I do actually have, and having the guts to talk to a girl you like, especially when you don't even know if that girl realises you exist.
You sir, have summarized my thoughts on the matter far better than I could have.

I'm in the exact same boat...
Which might explain why I'm single...

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
I love it when I find a thread like this and the consensus of advice in it is generally pretty solid and I don't feel the need to add anything much.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Xpwn3ntial said:
Sacman said:
He likes you he's just shy...<.< No other explanation unless you have a brain slug on your head...

OT: He's interested in you in some way, and is probably thinking of an excuse to talk to you right now.
If he's anything like me he's not gonna come up with one, he's just gonna tell himself, " she doesn't care what I have to say, there is no reason for her to talk to me." or something like that, than go home cut a little bit get beat by his step dad and cry himself to sleep alone and unloved only for the same thing to repeat itself for the next year until he finally comes to the realization that life isn't worth living and try to off himself with a fist full of extra strength advil only to vomit it up and go on living a miserable existence in a hollow emotionless body...<.< you know if he's anything like me...
but saying he isn't like me he will probably talk to you about the weather or what ever mentally stable people talk about these days...

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
odds are he is interested in you. otherwise, he just find you interesting to look at. Probably the good odds are that he likes you. feel free to react however you see fit.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Either he wants to mate with you... or wants to kill you. We are that simple *g*.

(Well ok... we do more than just smash things or have sex... WE ALSO DO MATH, or play games)

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Kittenmauler said:
ottenni said:
The mind of a guy is a simple thing. At any one time he is either thinking 'mmmmmmm boobs' 'mmmmmm food' or 'mmmmmmmm sleep' or any combination of the three.
That is an unfortunate stereotype. I think about video games a lot too.
Well i could be serious and make a more comprehensive list, i mean not all guys are going to be thinking about boobs. But i'm lazy.

Apr 28, 2008
Trivun said:
Chancie said:

Exactly what I was going to say.

Well... not exactly. He just said it far better then I ever could.
But still, what he said.

The guy finds you attractive. If you are even a little bit interested, strike up a conversation sometime. See where it goes.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Sacman said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
Sacman said:

If he's anything like me he's not gonna come up with one, he's just gonna tell himself, " she doesn't care what I have to say, there is no reason for her to talk to me." or something like that, than go home cut a little bit get beat by his step dad and cry himself to sleep alone and unloved only for the same thing to repeat itself for the next year until he finally comes to the realization that life isn't worth living and try to off himself with a fist full of extra strength advil only to vomit it up and go on living a miserable existence in a hollow emotionless body...<.< you know if he's anything like me...
but saying he isn't like me he will probably talk to you about the weather or what ever mentally stable people talk about these days...
Why would you- Just-

):