Here Is Your First Fallout 4 Trailer

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Theminimanx said:
Looks like Fallout 3 with more colour. Can't wait for the Obsidian spinoff.
I can't wait for Wasteland 2: Enchanced Edition and Wasteland 3 either.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
This and Xcom 2? Oh be still my beating heart. Then again this is Bethesda we're talking about so this is a "Buy when they fix all the f**king bugs!" for me. I've been burned too many times by their poor quality control to give them a preorder.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So from what I'm reading in the comments, the reaction to a new Fallout game after 5+ years is a resounding, proud and defiantly noble "Eh, sure why not?"

Truly a reaction for the books.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
The Material Sheep said:
OT though... I really really wish Bethesda would leave the fucking east coast. It's just does not have as interesting of topography as the west coast or other places in the States. After playing New Vegas, Fallout 3 just felt like it was just a big greenish wasteland with a garbage heap thrown over some parts.
I'm torn on the subject of color. On the one hand, post-apocalyptic wastelands do not handle visual differentiation well, and after 5+ entries in the series now I can see why people find yet another smashed city block kind of monotonous. On the other hand, lush vegetation or vivid and colorful locales doesn't really say "Fallout" to me in the slightest. You can get so far with Neon and decorative flair but there needs to be some Wastelandy vibe or the game is going to feel divorced from its legacy.
It's why Deserts work better than... east coast. Deserts in their own right are incredibly beautiful, and have a lot of aesthetic diversity. They also work well with garbage being thrown on it. There are also a lot of other places in America where you can have dilapidation from an apocalyptic event that I think would be better than more drab destroyed city on the East Coast. Vegas worked because I feel desert works much better as a filler aesthetic than green wastes, it also had a lot more character to the map despite I think it was overall a smaller map. Fallout 3 was just drab... and I really hope 4 is not as bad.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
This looks terrible. The engine is clearly old and the graphics suck.
I bet it will be filled with glitches and I can see from the trailer that the plot makes no sense. What a waste of time!

joke. I just thought I'd try and get in a few nonsensical comments before others do it for real.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Considering how Fallout 3 and Skyrim turned out, I can't say I have the faith in Bethesda anymore.

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
So what are we thinking on release dates? The first Skyrim trailer went up in early February 2011 and the game came out in November 2011. We're well past February but aiming for the Christmas season would seem like a smart move on Bethesda's part. Sounds like they'll also be showing gameplay at E3 in a few weeks, so maybe its more done than we think.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Li Mu said:
This looks terrible. The engine is clearly old and the graphics suck.
I bet it will be filled with glitches and I can see from the trailer that the plot makes no sense. What a waste of time!

joke. I just thought I'd try and get in a few nonsensical comments before others do it for real.
To be honest, the graphics do look dated and the animations are Bethesda levels of stilted. And the palette is a bit too colorful for a Fallout game. But color filters are a bad word nowadays so I guess the latter is not a valid complaint.

Willy Rogers

Aug 20, 2014
Ishal said:
A voiced main character... eh... eh...

I'd rather not, thank you. Didn't do much for me in Mass Effect. Waste of time, imo.

As for everything else. Even though I love New Vegas, and only liked FO3, and Bethesda isn't exactly perfect. They're still great games and fun worlds to explore. I'll probably like this. Wonder if it's still in the gamebryo engine. That might be a deal breaker for some.
If they do have a voiced character, I'm against it. I'll forgive 'em if they allow us to turn it off, or he actually says what the dialogue says unlike Shepard, the amount of times I facepalmed when I picked a dialogue option and that Space Canadian said something completely different has left a permanent imprint on my head. On the Gamebryo thing, it's most likely on the "unique" engine Bethesda made for Skyrim seeing as gamebryo went bankrupt or what have you, or maybe it's the Wolfenstein engine, a guy can dream.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
hentropy said:
The graphics could be better. I know it'll get modded, but I'm just saying. I hope the limitations of the consoles didn't hold them back too much already...

Even though it was Boston (potentially some other places, who knows) it didn't underwhelm me too much, the style seems like it has gotten a much-needed revamp without sacrificing what made Fallout Fallout. If anything the style seems a wee bit closer to the originals.
At this point it's less the tech limitations of the consoles and more so the amount of time it takes an artist to actually create an asset at the resolutions we are working with. If we want the same variety we had in the mid 2000s while still having the pixel density of today, stuff is just going to take a lot longer to produce. That and space.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I'll definitely buy this game brand new. Maybe this time I'll get to work on the community patch that makes it playable. Fallout never disappoints me, so it'll be money well spent.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Ishal said:
A voiced main character... eh... eh...
Ohhh are we actually getting a voiced main character?

That'd be an improvement.
Says you, Gup. I personally like the gormless mute that I can inhabit without any distractions. That's better than the Shephard way of doing things.

I'm here to pilot my created character through the world. The world is what matters. The places, the factions, the characters. All the other characters can be voiced, and should be. But I'm tired of the voiced protagonist trend especially if it's a dialogue wheel or short quipy statements, then the character says something completely different anyway

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'm finding it hard to get excited for FO4 at the moment with The Witcher 3 in my library, that game is gonna take me about 2 years to complete anyway.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Kind of hard to have a world premiere event at E3 when you've already announced the product.

the7ofswords said:
Voiced Character? Who says? Just because a character speaks a line in a trailer? That's not much to go on.

I'm not completely against it, but if they do have a voiced character, they'd damn well better have some choices. And there had better be some female choices.

I hope to hell they aren't taking character customization out!
I'm hoping that if the character is voiced, that it just reads the lines of dialogue that we pick. That's all I ever really wanted in a voiced character in a game like this. Otherwise, it's pretty much what I both wanted and expected: more of american wasteland as a vault-dweller.

Also, if they limit character customization in any way I'll pass by the game completely. It'd be like making a GTA game where you can't steal any cars. At least it looks like they are making it for current gen stuff so it won't be ham-stringed like Skyrim.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Willy Rogers said:
If they do have a voiced character, I'm against it. I'll forgive 'em if they allow us to turn it off, or he actually says what the dialogue says unlike Shepard, the amount of times I facepalmed when I picked a dialogue option and that Space Canadian said something completely different has left a permanent imprint on my head.
This is my thought as well. Not only that, but we're piloting a character we create through the world. That's likely the case. With Shepard it made a bit more sense. Everyone's Shephard was different, sure. But in the end we're all playing Commander Shepard. Same deal with Geralt. Stuff like that being voiced? Okay, sure.

But this? Eh, seems like a unnecessary distraction. Not really going to help me get immersed in the world to such a significant degree. But I guess different stroke and all that. It's just that with games the like the Witcher III and others, I get it. We're playing a game but it's the story of a character. But here? It's character creation stuff. Not really needed. But I suppose having the option to turn it on or off would be okay.

Captcha: Connecticut

No captcha, Massachusetts. Apparently.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Colt47 said:
hentropy said:
The graphics could be better. I know it'll get modded, but I'm just saying. I hope the limitations of the consoles didn't hold them back too much already...

Even though it was Boston (potentially some other places, who knows) it didn't underwhelm me too much, the style seems like it has gotten a much-needed revamp without sacrificing what made Fallout Fallout. If anything the style seems a wee bit closer to the originals.
At this point it's less the tech limitations of the consoles and more so the amount of time it takes an artist to actually create an asset at the resolutions we are working with. If we want the same variety we had in the mid 2000s while still having the pixel density of today, stuff is just going to take a lot longer to produce. That and space.
Well it's been 5 years since NV and 7 since FO3, I understand they probably waited until they knew what the current-gen consoles would be like before really doing the hard development. It's no surprise that it's harder to have these big-open world games "fit" on consoles, but when it gets to the point that it barely looks this-gen? I mean, it certainly looks a lot better than FO3/NV so that certainly helps. I might be judging it too harshly right now considering it's hard to tell what is and what is not actual gameplay or world scenes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
Says you, Gup. I personally like the gormless mute that I can inhabit without any distractions. That's better than the Shephard way of doing things.

I'm here to pilot my created character through the world. The world is what matters. The places, the factions, the characters. All the other characters can be voiced, and should be. But I'm tired of the voiced protagonist trend especially if it's a dialogue wheel or short quipy statements, then the character says something completely different anyway
Seems like there's no way to resolve this amicably.

Meet me at Deadman's Gulch. First person to hit the brakes loses. Fappy can drop the flag.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Seems like there's no way to resolve this amicably.

Meet me at Deadman's Gulch. First person to hit the brakes loses. Fappy can drop the flag.

I don't know how a bloated fish can drive, but you're on.

(Really though, if the dialogue isn't in a wheel, but in sentences like the previous games, and the VA reads that? That I'm willing to accept.)

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Remember, this is Bethesda. Don't freaking preorder, or buy the damn thing it until we have confirmation the game goddamn works. Like, out of the box. Please?

You're gonna ignore me, aren't you?

Goddamnit. It has a dog. I kind of want it now just because of the dog.