Heroes you yelled "YOU IDIOT!" at.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
Hm...probably Cloud from FFVII. He should've started to expect to see Sephiroth's ugly mug, and been ready to kill him far before the end, you know?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
How It Should Have Ended picks up on a lot of these.

From my own observations, the top brass in Terminator Salvation.
They reverse engineer a few machines and discover a signal that deactivates them. Naturally, they decide to put this to use. But it turns out this was a ruse. Skynet traces the signal back to the command sub and blows it up. Yes, top brass transmitted the signal from the command sub. Transmitting the signal from a plane or erecting a throwaway antenna would have been way too sensible.

They just give away their position for no reason assuming that the plan is 100% guaranteed to work. They don't consider it might be a ruse. They don't consider that an AI which hacked every online computer in the world in Terminator 3 would have a clue about computer security. What if the robots don't all have the same shutdown signal? What if the codes get changed before they transmit? What if Skynet has a reactivation signal that overrides the shutdown signal?

Also Skynet for killing these retards. The resistance was better off without them.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Commander Shepard/Garrus/Liara for not shooting the fucking emo-wannabe-cyber-ninja-gary-stu Kai Leng in the fucking face as he stands around giving you a message from the illusive man..

HE MURDERED YOUR BUDDY/LOVER THANE...SHOOT HIM IN THE FUCKING FACE...GARRUS SCOPE AND DROP THIS WORTHLESS SHITSTAIN OF A CHARACTER!

This is literally what me and my partner where screaming at the screen during that cutscene on Thessia, shoot the fucking prick in the face...and then shoot him 3 more times when he's on the ground.

And its part of the reason why I think ME3 is a bad game.

/edit Bear in mind this little convo goes on for about 5 minutes or so with everyones guns trained on him and then everyone decides that he's an ok fellow...stops pointing guns at him and he betrays you in a completely unstoppable/uninterruptable way which basically leads to your whole time on Thessia being a pointless waste of time that got a lot of Asari troops killed and weakened their defences for no gain..

Fuck Mass Effect 3, really just fuck it.

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
DementedSheep said:
Most heroes seem to do at least one really retarded thing
From recent memory: Ezio sparring Rodrigo Borgia in Assassins Creed 2. I figured he wouldn?t die since Rodrigo Borgia was a real person and didn't die in that year but I had hoped he would escape or something not have Ezio all of a sudden start having issues with killing his enemies. ?killing you won?t bring my family back.? really Ezio? Really? It?s not even about your family anymore. You should be killing him because he is a templar and a threat.
Ezio wanted Borgia to live as a type of cruel mercy on his part. The man had wanted to open the Vault and become the prophet that would be able to go in there and awaken what he thought was the power of God. The thing is that the vault did not open for Borgia, but it did for Ezio. Ezio thought it would be a crueler punishment letting Borgia waste away in despair knowing that his dreams of ultimate power were forever out of reach and that he was defeated by a member of the Assassin's Order, living with his dreams crushed seemed like a greater punishment than simply letting him die.

Borgia actually leaves Ezio alone from then on having his spirit crushed from his defeat, it is actually his son that fucks around with Ezio despite him warning his son not to do so. Borgia was no longer a threat to Ezio after that.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Not sure about "hero" (at the time, anyway), but Prince Zuko's actions in the season 2 finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender had me practically screaming at my TV! Granted, things eventually work out, but still...!
When Zuko turned on Aang and crew, I was at first bothered by this, probably much like you. But after watching season 3, and seeing the final to season 2 again, I realized that if he had stayed with Aang and them, it would have been a hollow heel face turn. But having finally gotten back what he always wanted, and deciding than to turn,he actually decided to leave all that behind, and fight against his father. I would say that having Zuko do that was probably waht made me feel Zuko had the most depth of any of the characters on the show.

I actually like Avatar: TLAB because, for being a cartoon, it had a much more mature story.

Im not gonna name any specifics, but any story that has the main hero put Honor before Reason [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HonorBeforeReason].

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Gambit is like one of those people who constantly update their Facebook with all the mundane shit they are doing. 'Gambits gonna make a sandwich, Gambits gonna go buy some soda' STFU with the 3rd person all the time, its annoying as hell after a while.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
In Mass Effect when you have to get an undercover agent out of a crime syndicate. Of course the normal person would be discrete and talk to them privately or in some form of code. Oh no not Shepard. They just waltz into the middle of a packed club full of criminals and say, in a proud and happy voice, "You need to get out of here, this C-Sec job isn't worth it, and these criminals will hurt you"

Apparently I shouted "Are you fucking high!" at the TV. Even my subconscious was saying WTF.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Shane and Rick and the walking dead.

1: Seriously take 10 minutes to talk out what happened with your best friend instead of just staring at them angrily and exchanging mild threats.

2: Your best friend's wife just isn't in to you anymore. That doesn't mean you cannot be a part of the family's lifer anymore dude chill.

3: Maybe coming up with radically different ideas than the rest of the group and screaming them out isn't the best way to make everyone trust you

Spoiler:

Shane's death was one of the worst things about the series. I mean come on I get it happened in the comic and was therefore inevitable but you couldn't help but try to hope he could redeem himself somewhere along the way. Seriously when Rick went back to save Shane on the bus that was the moment that gave me hope and then it was practically ignored in the next episode.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Any character I don't fully get to control when they do an honest deed that has no real benefit for me. FOOOOOOOOOL.

Edwardo Sosa

Dec 17, 2011
this may be too recent and not count but....ok it HAS to said
in the new amazing spiderman movie (this really sould not be a spoiler) or even count as main protaginist but aunt may was A TOTAL DENSE BALL OF IDIOT!!!!!....the ENTIRE MOVIE was throwing hints and clues that peter was spiderman TO ALL WHO WERE ON SCREEN and she blankly brushes every last one....excuse the rage but in no continuety was she ever THAT STUPIED you have to see the movie to belive it.....(rant over)

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Every single last freaking time, a "hero" says: "IF YOU KILL HIM YOU WILL BE JUST LIKE HIM!"

No just no.
Killing the man who killed an entire city, or building, or your family, does not make you as bad as them.
Its nothing more than angsty moralizing that means nothing.

Mostly since it happened in my D/D game that ended my Paladin career.

I had a disgusting slaver at my mercy who was a complete monster.
So I gutted him before he could get help from the VERY corrupt court.

DM: "YOU FALL FROM BEING A PALADIN YOU LOSE ALL YOUR POWERS REPENT NOW!!!!!!!"
Me: "What the hell?"

He then lectured me over how my paladin was just as bad as the slaver for having killed him when he begged for mercy.
No...just NO. My Paladin struck down ONE bad guy, he never tortured, kidnapped, enslaved, or whatever else that dude did. Killing a MONSTER does not ever turn you into a monster.

Then again that dude was probably just pissy that I killed a villain he wanted to use for the long haul.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Shadowcreed said:
whoa really? I kinda liked the guy, but yeah I recall a few 'facepalms' during my playthrough. Still, he gets the girl so what's the problem? xD
Never said I didn't like him, just that he was a complete dumbass and said the wrong things a lot. :p

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
I gotta say, all of you people who keep saying Batman is an idiot for not killing the Joker REALLY need to reevaluate your thoughts on the character. Batman could very easily become the very monsters he's constantly fighting. He's AWARE of this, and so is constantly trying to avoid anything that could tempt him down the slope.

No, the REAL idiots here is the Gotham Court system. They've seen what Batman's regulars do, and yet they just keep sending them to Arkham rather than the zappy chairs. Seriously, what kind of lawyers do those nutjobs HAVE!?
Totally agree with this. I seem to recall a particular "What if" story where Batman becomes a vampire for some reason. I don't really remember the specifics, but Batman spends most of the series desperately trying to stop himself from killing to quench his thirst. He holds out for a while, but then finally breaks, killing and feeding on one of his villains. With his code broken and the first life taken, he then proceeds to messily kill and devour almost every single one of his villains, then moves on to non-villainous types.

Sure, the vampire angle is silly, but the moral of the story is that Batman is a rather unstable guy. He NEVER wants to take a life because he doesn't want the action of taking a human life to become easier or to seem reasonable. Once he makes his first kill, it could potentially become easier and easier to justify killing, even when there is actually much less reason. His parents' deaths made him acutely aware of the importance of human life, so he will not be the one to begin such potentially unnecessary killing.

Also, it is totally not his job to personally kill the Joker. You'd think that the Gotham Courts would be able to sanction the death penalty for him at this point... THEY are the idiots here.

OP: Lots of great examples have already been taken. Robb Stark, Eragon, Neville from I Am Legend... I can't think of a really good one right now, but I'll keep thinking.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Genericjim101 said:
Macgyvercas said:
Would it count to yell at Lawrence and call him a fucking moron when in Season 2
Holo learns that her homeland was destroyed and asked Lawrence to make love to her
?

Because he REALLY was a fucking MORON there!
Sounds fun in theory, but having sex with her there and then would've been taking advantage of her extremely distressed state at the time.
Looking back I know that. When I first saw the scene, that was my reaction.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
NegaWiki said:
Any hero from a movie where the moral is "be careful what you wish for." Well. only movies that happen to be recent. We've seen these types of stories hundreds of times and the moral has become so ingrained in the culture that I just cringed every time I heard Merida from Brave ask to "change my fate."
Would it kill any of these heroes to be more specific?
"I wish I could go back to my roots." Tree.
"I want to be the greatest ruler of the world." Giant ruler.
"I wish for a turkey sandwich, on rye bread, with lettuce and mustard, and, and I don't want any zombie turkeys, I don't want to turn into a turkey myself, and I don't want any other weird surprises." The turkey was dry.
Personally, I see that as the moral to ANYTHING that involves deals with anyone shady. Like, say, in Pirates of the Caribbean. Really, making a deal with a pirate should have two key factors: You keep your demands specific so that, if they do honor their deals at all, that they don't have any loopholes to wiggle out of, and you keep any information you give them as vague as possible, so they get little to nothing.

... I swear, after seeing the first movie just once, anytime I see it again, I groan at both Elizabeths and Wills overly general deals, which end up backfiring spectacularly over them. Hell, Jack isn't immune either, even though hes a pirate himself and should know better.

But I digress. I have moments like that, but none, other than the ones I mentioned above, though I don't count either Will or Elizabeth as much in the way of Heroes, and Jack is more of an Anti-Hero than anything else.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Devoneaux said:
mirasiel said:
Commander Shepard/Garrus/Liara for not shooting the fucking emo-wannabe-cyber-ninja-gary-stu Kai Leng in the fucking face as he stands around giving you a message from the illusive man..

HE MURDERED YOUR BUDDY/LOVER THANE...SHOOT HIM IN THE FUCKING FACE...GARRUS SCOPE AND DROP THIS WORTHLESS SHITSTAIN OF A CHARACTER!

This is literally what me and my partner where screaming at the screen during that cutscene on Thessia, shoot the fucking prick in the face...and then shoot him 3 more times when he's on the ground.

And its part of the reason why I think ME3 is a bad game.

/edit Bear in mind this little convo goes on for about 5 minutes or so with everyones guns trained on him and then everyone decides that he's an ok fellow...stops pointing guns at him and he betrays you in a completely unstoppable/uninterruptable way which basically leads to your whole time on Thessia being a pointless waste of time that got a lot of Asari troops killed and weakened their defences for no gain..

Fuck Mass Effect 3, really just fuck it.
I can top it:

In the first game, Sheppard is trying to track down one of Saren's Agents and it leads him to a frozen world used for freelance research. In order to get to her lab however he needs to acquire a garage access pass and he just kinda goes with it...

Okay...

Dude, you have the authority to kill anyone here if you want, you're a god damn spectre! Why are you going along with their bullshit?! You could just tell the garage guard guy that you're a spectre and that if he doesn't let you through you'll cap him!
I think you can try that and the guard just doesn't believe there are human spectres. You'd think the council would give you *something* to prove who you are, I'm thinking like the Inquisitors rosette from Warhammer 40k...the kind of thing that makes planetary governors piss themselves if you hand it to them.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Robb Stark from A Song of Fire and Ice. I disagreed with some decisions he made.
Vincent from the game Catherine. Just damnit Vincent, I wanted to like him, but I ended up hating him. If only he would string words together and make a sentence!