Hey 4chan? Can we talk briefly?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I'm not concerned, honestly. With passable Photoshop skills and a few headshots it's possible to "leak" nude photos of anybody. That's still pretty horrible, but I think it's still a cut below genuinely violating someone's privacy and stealing real photos of them. Emma Watson's "nudes" have been flying around the internet for years now.

Still, glad to see the 4channers are continuing to make a concerted effort to keep it classy over on their board.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
renegade7 said:
I'm not concerned, honestly. With passable Photoshop skills and a few headshots it's possible to "leak" nude photos of anybody. That's still pretty horrible, but I think it's still a cut below genuinely violating someone's privacy and stealing real photos of them. Emma Watson's "nudes" have been flying around the internet for years now.
Yeah, there was a story about her getting really upset with one piece of rule34 that got run with as a real pic some years ago.

Now, spreading rule34 pics around...yeah, tacky, but doing so to attack someone because she's made a speech that couldn't be considered remotely controversial...another thing altogether.

Sep 15, 2014
Dakkagor said:
please try not to be offended
...and already, you don't seem to know who you're talking to.

Dakkagor said:
I think 4chan can afford to laugh at itself
They sure can, if anyone wants to make jokes that are actually funny.

Dakkagor said:
Me: Hey 4chan, how you doing? How's Gamergate these days?
The people on this board you're trying to address mostly don't identify with 4free anymore. We're exiles. Kind of like the Blood Elves. In fact...

Dakkagor said:
4chan: WE ARE LEGION
Forty keks. You do know "le ebin leejun maymay XD" has nothing to do with 4chan specifically, right?

Dakkagor said:
Me: Yeah. . .about that. So, I saw an article on the business insider this morning, and well, I don't think it paints you in a very good light. Dare I say it, it makes you look like deplorable douches.
If you think that shitty un-sourced clickbait made them look bad, you should visit /pol/ sometime and see what some of them actually think. In other words, call the allies, they don't give a f***.

Dakkagor said:
It just seems that maybe its time for the moderators to take it in hand and do something about it.
They did. Then we left.

Dakkagor said:
"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Its a good rule to live by in my opinion.
I thought it went:

Dakkagor said:
Maybe its time to stop ragging on the moderators over at 4chan and let them do the best job they can at cutting of the arsehole heads. Maybe they'll grow back, maybe in the meantime 4chan won't be a good place to discuss Gamergate, but I think for the good of the forum as a whole, and all the good parts of it, those voices need to be cleaned out.
Maybe it's time for you to stop telling us who we are and what we should do. We're not a hugbox that needs to be pruned of "bad voices" and made safe for normalfags. We're the embodiment of free speech on the internet, for better and worse.

Dakkagor said:
I'm going to go cruise /tg/. Stay classy you many headed beast of ruin!
Hope you like your new and "improved" 4chan. You can keep it. Stay funny.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Pinkamena said:
Dare I say it, it makes you look like deplorable douches.
And why would 4chan care?
Because overwhelmingly vast majority of 4chan are not like that.

There are boards that you should avoid like plague if you don't have really thick skin, can accept that in closed community important words can become meaningless (actually on 4chan that's pretty much on purpose) or can externalize other people's opinion like whole NSFW (often called NSFL) section and sometimes /v/

There are boards for very specific tastes that are not up to everyone's taste (and in some cases can cause nausea) like /u/, /d/, /y/, /t/, /h/

There are boards with some strong content but nothing really disturbing like /s/, /hc/, and the rest of adult section not mentioned previously (drawn stuff can be really disturbing)

And the rest are really clean and really productive. But you can run into, or you could at least 5 years ago, really supportive and helpful threads even on /b/. It's just that it's on a bottom of a cesspool. They really don't want you there unless you are willing to dive down with them :D

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
Huxley said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Don't fall into the trap of thinking any forum is a monolith. 4chan is just a collection of anonymous people. There's no central guiding ideology. Without usernames, there's no guarantee that a single person from that thread contributed to TFYC, you could be dealing with two completely different groups of people. Also, people tend to flock to threads that they agree with. An openly sexist thread is likely to attract sexists.

Which is not to say that there isn't a great deal of unsavoury people on the board or that you ought to like it. I only warn against thinking they tar the work/opinions of supporters/creators of other people just because they shared a space. No-one really represents the site, and there was a large contingent of vocal critics there against funding TFYC and creating VJ on 4chan itself (still is).
Well, 4chan is crashing and burning. Curious to see how low it will go:

To note, I donated 120 dollars to the TFYC campaign and had been browsing 4chan since 2008. Now that that sellout m00t is banning discussion on GamerGate, I'm here. Good riddance.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
carnex said:
Pinkamena said:
Dare I say it, it makes you look like deplorable douches.
And why would 4chan care?
Because overwhelmingly vast majority of 4chan are not like that.

There are boards that you should avoid like plague if you don't have really thick skin, can accept that in closed community important words can become meaningless (actually on 4chan that's pretty much on purpose) or can externalize other people's opinion like whole NSFW (often called NSFL) section and sometimes /v/

There are boards for very specific tastes that are not up to everyone's taste like (and in some cases can cause nausea)like /u/, /d/, /y/, /t/, /h/

There are boards with some strong content but nothing really disturbing like /s/, /hc/, and the rest of adult section not mentioned previously (drawn stuff can be really disturbing)

And the rest are really clean and really productive. But you can run into, or you could at least 5 years ago, really supportive and helpful threads even on /b/. It's just that it's on a bottom of a cesspool. They really don't want you there unless you are willing to dive down with them :D
Yes. I know. I have been using the site for 8 years already. My question was rhetorical, for 4chan doesn't care about its reputation, at least not the parts of 4chan that counts. Bad rep is what it thrives on. It's a pile of horribleness (or, used to be) and that's the way it needs to stay.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I may be uninformed...but why exactly should anyone give a single fuck about nude celebrity photos?

They were illegally obtained. That's it. Now that they're on the internet, they're fair game, but why is anyone making a big deal of it?

And as far as threats of *new* releases go, again, it's an illegal act by some member(s) of 4chan, with only the misinformed thinking that 4chan is some collective. And, again, I ask, who cares? And why?

"Hurr sexism" is hardly an argument, when nudes of male actors would be met with all sorts of hypocrisy. Don't try to deny for a second that many, many adult women would love to see nude pictures of Ryan Renalds, etc; illegally obtained or not.

Edit:
CrackBabyBurnout said:
OP's 4Chan lines are completely inaccurate.

The Correct 4Chan Response
I think a response from many would be this:

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Well, 4chan is crashing and burning. Curious to see how low it will go:

To note, I donated 120 dollars to the TFYC campaign and had been browsing 4chan since 2008. Now that that sellout m00t is banning discussion on GamerGate, I'm here. Good riddance.
Don't forget, if you want a replacement, wholechan (8chan) is available now that halfchan is quickly turning into a heavily-moderated shithole. It has the good parts of Reddit and 4chan combined, because you have the ability to create your own board that you can moderate yourself, while also having the "main" boards that the majority use (in addition to any other created ones that they've also joined).

Best part is that the admin, Hotwheels, is freaking awesome, and communicates with the community and is continuously striving to make the site better.

Plus, anonymity (on some of the boards. They're still in the testing phase). Here and 8chan are my new and only homes, for now.

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
Didn't CNN establish earlier that 4chan is NOT a hivemind? He is a person! He may have been a Systems Administrator.

Mouser_House

Sep 17, 2014
If I take a screenshot every time some snot-nosed punk makes an empty threat on 4chan and forward it to Gawker Media, do you suppose they'll pay me for it? Oh wait, they only want the threats aimed at famous rich people? Bummer.

Would anyone actually care if 4chan eats itself at this point? It was never supposed to grow to this size. Now it's collapsing under its own weight and the mods have no idea how to deal with it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
4Chan is sort of deplorable in every way ever.

But I learned how to make cheesecake from reading a discussion on there, so it gets a thumbs up from me.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Mouser_House said:
If I take a screenshot every time some snot-nosed punk makes an empty threat on 4chan and forward it to Gawker Media, do you suppose they'll pay me for it? Oh wait, they only want the threats aimed at famous rich people? Bummer.

Would anyone actually care if 4chan eats itself at this point? It was never supposed to grow to this size. Now it's collapsing under its own weight and the mods have no idea how to deal with it.
Many from 4chan would have no problem if the viewer count plummeted. Lot of people blame 4chan getting popular from chanology being a reason for a cause of decline (cancer) and 4chan becoming less popular and more niche again would benefit the old guard.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Some kind of strawman post about how you're better then a website who's claim to fame is a collaboration of its loudest mouths most satirical/asinine posts?

Well that's all the time I have. I must continue worshiping Ebola-chan.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Wait, you expected some actual discussion value at 4chan? Bloody 4chan? What?

I mean, I like the site in the way that you like a dam. It's not going to make for any good conversation, but hey, at least it keeps the bullshit all isolated somewhere far away from me. I'm not sure why anyone would go there for actual discussion, especially if they can't really stand trolling or shitposting.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
carnex said:
Either you're new to 4chan or you don't know really much about the culture there.
While each board thinks that /b/ and /pol/ are the cancer, they are tolerated by all boards exactly because of the bad reputation it gives the site. They don't want new, thin skinned people to come to the site. /b/ was basically a double filter. It would filter out all the thin skinned people in the first place by making them not come. The second filter is that it would keep the morons in /b/ and only those who realized 4chan is more than /b/ will leave /b/ as a better human and enjoy the rest of the site.

The hostility towards "newfags" was there to force them to "lurk moar", to learn the board culture (each board has its own culture, it's different and you should never go from one board to another and start posting without lurking for a bit to learn the ropes), to either accept it or to get the fuck out because they aren't welcome. The hostility is a filter to anyone unwelcome, the reward is getting some great time on the site when you learned how to differentiate the shit topics from the real topics.

At least that's how it was back in the days when 4chan wasn't shit and people /v/ did't go out of its way to invite more and more people who don't know anything about the posting culture. Now it's just a mess.
While not all the bad reputation can be said is intentional, a big part of it is or was. I don't know anymore, I just know that /v/ isn't even close to what it was, especially lately with the huge influx of new blood that doesn't understand anything yet want to change everything. For fucks sake, they are getting offended by being called the F word. That's the first indicator of how new they are and that they should lurk moar or leave. But because of the huge influx of new blood, they are really loud and there aren't enough "oldfags" to harass them until they comply and learn the ropes. But the downhill spiral started even before that so I can't really blame the new folks.