Hipsters? In my nerdery?

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Guffe said:
If someone wants to label me, go for it.
I know what/who I am and what I like and when I've done it and for how long I will (that last part was a bit weird wasn't it, like I could see the future or something).
I don't really care is what I'm trying to say :p
Ditto. I like what I like, and if that makes me a nerd, then sure, so be it. But it's not something I find pride or identity in. So I don't bother to get upset when nerds get all "Us vs. Them."

But then again, I was lucky in that people mostly left me alone in highschool and didn't bother to bully me, so I never really developed a foxhole mentality from it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
RaikuFA said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Likewise, I've only very recently been introduced to the board game scene at my local comic book shop, I was not shunned for my lack of knowledge in everything board game related, they welcomed me with open arms and were more than happy to explain how to play.
Lucky you. My experience with tabletops was nothing but misery.
I have played with the idea that my local comic shop might be more accepting than some others, quite a few of the regulars are married and even bring their children early in the evening. The stereotype of the exclusionary, non-social gatekeeper just isn't there. The only thing I have to go on is my local experience, so I can't speak for the experience of others. I have encountered gatekeepers before and it was less than pleasant, but those were rare and individual, I can't imagine what a nest of them would be like.
Neckbeards, lots and lots of neckbeards. And they act like that guy from "Grandma's boy."

Thats why I only play by myself.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Yet, because I have a portable hard drive with Arch Linux installed on it which I happily use to take over other computers, everyone continues to call me an ubernerd.

I get to keep my nerd cred without being annoying. :D
You only get to be Ubernerd in my books when you install Linux on your toaster.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Redlin5 said:
lacktheknack said:
Yet, because I have a portable hard drive with Arch Linux installed on it which I happily use to take over other computers, everyone continues to call me an ubernerd.

Give me a toaster with a USB port and I'll do it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
Nerds and hipsters...same thing really.
The unfortunate elephant in the room is just that. But it's not so much nerds as it is the people fighting FOR "nerd." I honestly wonder whether most nerds even give a crap.

I guess what I'm saying is #notallnerds, man!

lacktheknack said:
Yeah, but where's the fun in that?

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Hipsters ate my lumberjack.

I think they've moved on from nerdery.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
erttheking said:
Nerds and hipsters...same thing really.
The unfortunate elephant in the room is just that. But it's not so much nerds as it is the people fighting FOR "nerd." I honestly wonder whether most nerds even give a crap.

I guess what I'm saying is #notallnerds, man!

lacktheknack said:
Yeah, but where's the fun in that?
Fair point. Kind of an odd self fulfilling prophecy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
erttheking said:
I do think the overall theme is correct, though. It seems like the people who are fighting over whether or not someone is a nerd/hipster seem to be completely indistinguishable. And over something I just can't imagine mattering.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DementedSheep said:
That too, there is nothing wrong with wearing something because you happen to like the design on it or having something like a pokemon on your keychain because it cute. It doesn't mean you are trying pass yourself off as fan. The worse thing that's going happen if someone wears a T-Shirt of a work you're fan of without actually being into is that you try and strike up conversation about it and it goes nowhere. That SHOULDN'T be an issue.
Indeed. I mean, there are some cool anime designs from shows I don't like. I'm not sure I'd personally buy a shirt from one, but I can get why people would be like "why, that looks awesome!" and run with it.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Strazdas said:
Sigh. This again. It people would at least learn what Nerds are....

Nerds are not culture nor are they identy. Nerds is an insult. as in, the word itself is a derogatory term to insult geeks. geeks are the people you want to talk about here, not nerds. Saying "nerd culture" is like saying "****** culture".
Really liked the breakdown of the video. It explains well the shift in the way nerds/geeks are seen, and the money motivation as to why it happened, as well as the similarities of it having happened before with Punk, Rap, and other subcultures.

Touches on well the investment and cost of being a nerd, and the feeling of being cheated by those trying to take the classification without a similar investment of time or cost of social standing.

Redlin5 said:
lacktheknack said:

But aren't most on-chip operating systems linux or unix based already? Coulda sworn I remembered something about appliances being linux based being an issue because so many now connect to the internet and have no security, making most refrigerators and coffee-makers with wi-fi out there slaves in botnets.

On plus side, your stove can always make spam...

Nirallus

Sep 18, 2014
runic knight said:
Strazdas said:
Sigh. This again. It people would at least learn what Nerds are....

Nerds are not culture nor are they identy. Nerds is an insult. as in, the word itself is a derogatory term to insult geeks. geeks are the people you want to talk about here, not nerds. Saying "nerd culture" is like saying "****** culture".
Really liked the breakdown of the video. It explains well the shift in the way nerds/geeks are seen, and the money motivation as to why it happened, as well as the similarities of it having happened before with Punk, Rap, and other subcultures.

Touches on well the investment and cost of being a nerd, and the feeling of being cheated by those trying to take the classification without a similar investment of time or cost of social standing.
Red Letter Media put a humorous spin on the same point, using their trademark sarcasm. "It's cool to say you're a nerd but it's not cool to be a nerd." [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0C_Dnt7k_0]

I blame the Big Bang Theory.

UmberHulk

Jun 4, 2014
Mazinger-Z said:
D&D's seen a lot of changes in response to the rise of MMOs (I haven't played 6e yet, but 5e was an attempt to streamline the game so it was like an MMO).
Complains about Hipsters only having surface level knowledge of something yet thinks their's 6 additions of d&d (for the record their are 5 official additions and technically 9 additions). Also trots out the "4e is like an MMO" line that was crap back in 2007 and still is today.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
UmberHulk said:
Mazinger-Z said:
D&D's seen a lot of changes in response to the rise of MMOs (I haven't played 6e yet, but 5e was an attempt to streamline the game so it was like an MMO).
Complains about Hipsters only having surface level knowledge of something yet thinks their's 6 additions of d&d (for the record their are 5 official additions and technically 9 additions). Also trots out the "4e is like an MMO" line that was crap back in 2007 and still is today.
Lol, I had noticed that and forgot to comment on it.

And yeah, I felt 4e really changed the feeling in a way I didn't care for, but it was not so much like an MMO. Encounter powers and daily powers etc aren't particularly how it goes in an MMO. Felt a bit more like an attempt to fix the balance between magic and non-magic. Which was in fact something people griped about a lot.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Something Amyss said:
briankoontz said:
That's not true. Nerds were proud of how they looked - they wanted to distinguish themselves from mainstream society and they succeeded, if their mockery by that society was any indication.
That's never particularly been true of "nerds" as a general body. Yes, you can point to selective parts of the culture as you've done, but that's not particularly reasonable.
The main character from War Games and the kid from Cloak and Dagger are not nerds, despite their computer-savvy/games/hacking identity. The reason they aren't nerds is that they don't exhibit a key feature required of nerds - the desire to separate from society in order to prevent that society from interfering with their own development of the system (that would emerge into computers and the internet). In contrast, the nerds from Revenge of the Nerds ARE nerds - they go to college but then form a "nerd society" in a frat house and "do battle" against the jocks for social supremacy.

The War Games character is an interesting study. His parents are scared of computers by way of obliviousness - they avoid his room as if it's radioactive. The only classmate the movie shows is a curious girlfriend. The movie makes it clear that the people around the main character enable him to remain IN society - if he faced harassment or exclusion for his interests he could easily become a Revenge of the Nerds type of character.

Let's also look at a key analogy that nerds themselves often used - that of Wizards. 2nd generation nerds (since fallen out of favor in the age of "Nerd Cool") called themselves Wizards, or Programming Wizards, also reflecting an interest in playing the Wizard (Magic-User) class in Dungeons and Dragons. Wizards were dark, mysterious, performing strange experiments in secluded towers away (intentionally) from a society that fears them. This was reflective of the "delving into the dungeons of code" that nerds did into the emerging computerization that then took over the world in the 1990s. The movie Cloak and Dagger expressed this dark and mysterious angle of nerd culture in a metaphorically logical way.

In order to be a nerd in modern society one needs to continue to be harassed by society in order to provoke a response by the nerd of excluding himself from that society. But society has completely embraced computerization (to an alarming extent in my opinion) so one can no longer be a nerd for the same reason that the 2nd generation nerds were. The 3rd generation of nerds were faux-nerds, merely referencing the true nerds as part of "nerd cool", to benefit culturally and economically from what the nerds had built, devolving into the current twitch streamer who claims to be a nerd to help them get more views and donations.

Hipsters might indeed be the descendants of nerds with respect to FASHION, but hipsters are not excluded by society nor are doing anything important (or really, seemingly anything at all) to necessitate excluding themselves. Hipsters are the cultural *remnants* of nerds, minus any of the REASON why nerd culture was what it had to be.

Hipsters reminisce on nerds and say - "Wouldn't it be nice if I could be that cool?" - without an ability to do any project that compares to the construction of the modern system of computerization.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
Is this basically a discussion about a group that used to be labeled in an offensive manner and had to deal with that shit a lot, than they grew up, became popular, and started to label and give shit to other groups for "not being cool as they are"?

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Something Amyss said:
erttheking said:
I do think the overall theme is correct, though. It seems like the people who are fighting over whether or not someone is a nerd/hipster seem to be completely indistinguishable. And over something I just can't imagine mattering.
b-but...
Hipsters!
Possibly on my lawn!
Doing Hipster things!
Ironically!

Nah, I don't give a crap really.
Besides, I'm a Grognard.
We live in a constant battle with our own grumpiness over things having the sheer gall to be new.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mikeybb said:
Besides, I'm a Grognard.
We live in a constant battle with our own grumpiness over things having the sheer gall to be new.
I know, right? What ever happened to the good old days when it was us vs those damn punk kids on our lawn?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
flashoverride said:
Nerds and Geeks started to cross over in 2007, you say?
That date is at least 30 years too late, and belies the overall problem in the rest of the argument. The idea that this suddenly became a thing because of some modern marketing push, rather than those marketing pushes being the result of gradual, long-term increasing crossover between supposedly isolated groups.

DanteRL said:
Is this basically a discussion about a group that used to be labeled in an offensive manner and had to deal with that shit a lot, than they grew up, became popular, and started to label and give shit to other groups for "not being cool as they are"?
Mostly.