Hitman: Plan B

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Matthew94 said:
So it's misogynistic to kill women but mowing down legions of men in every game is ok? Fuck that person from IGN.
Please read my first post on this thread (big blue letters). The actual argument that the woman from IGN made was nothing like that.

It wasn't 'women shouldn't be killed' it was 'we shouldn't sexualize the death of women'.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Vrex360 said:
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:
I got used to women being sexualized in gaming a very long time ago, so my mind kind of glazed over that.
I'm sorry? /shrug
No no, nothing against you. I was actually agreeing with you, I would like to see someone have the guts to completely reverse the gender roles. I just know that will never happen.

Read my post above that I linked, I explain what I mean with this issue a bit better.
I was quoting your first post with the giant bold "YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE POINT!" at the top. I would have quoted you without the snippage, but I don't like quoting big giant posts because I think it looks ugly.

Lets see this post of yours... Omg it is so lonnnnng =|
Ehhh, I guess I'll read it, but this will take a while, lol.

Windknight said:
Torrasque said:
A game where the clothing of the male enemies and female enemies were all swapped. So you get a normal game made by Ubisoft or something, any game where the women all have 10cm of clothing and the men have enough clothing for 3 guys, and then you swap them.

So all the women are in suits or look really gruff, and the men are in tight revealing clothing and make-up.
I think it would be hilarious and very enlightening. It would have to be made by Suda 51 though, I think he's the only guy who would be able to pull it off and keep the tone in check.
Every time I've seen fanart do that - put male characters/superheroes in female costumes and poses, a lot of male posters have reacted akin to having had bleach poured into their eyes and acting like the whole thing is an evil affront that should never have been done.

And many of these same people will act like people complaining about said outfits on women are just being oversensitive.
I've always been bothered by people that do that.

These guys--I don't like to generalize, but it really is guys that do this more than girls--will say "oh, well there is nothing wrong with women wearing a bikini and fighting guys in full plate mail" (see any Soul Calibur game ever), but then be "WHAT THE HELL. WHY DOES THIS GUY HAVE SO LITTLE CLOTHING ON. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THIS SHIT!".

Its like they are expecting or even demanding that the characters wear clothing that they like. Ivy gets less and less clothing in each Soul Calibur game = just as expected. Mitsurugi goes from full Samurai armor to a SLIGHTLY revealing Kimono = RRRRAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEEEE.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2S_9_nS82gM/Tf3jhVrIgMI/AAAAAAAAAH8/K0OtHGAGedc/s1600/my+mind+is+full+of+fuck.jpg

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
You know what would have made a better trailer.

If the actual mothafuking Third Street Saints served as the antagonists.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
While it isn't "the worst thing to happen to women" in a game, I do think it does bring up a bit of an issue in games. Namely the whole; if we're going to have them kill women we might as well let them see their underwear first.

That's not completely bad on its own, but I doubt the guys 47 is going to kill are going to strip before they die.

Anyway I think Carter brought up a bit less questionable problem with the whole this doesn't really look like Hitman action.
You would think they would use an assassination to show off the game, but no; "Lets go with the crazy action bit that looks like it got rejected from the Kill Bill movies for being over the top", they said. Again, not to bad on its own, but I don't think that's what Hitman is suppose to be about, and like Carter said that by itself is bad advertising. Unless that is what the game is like, then it's just truthful advertising.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Vrex360 said:
*snipped because I am just quoting you to let you know I read your big long post*
Everything you said made perfect sense.

Thinking back to this trailer, I can honestly say that they are going for every kind of controversy they can get their hands on.
A group of women, dressed as nuns, take off their clothes, but are actually wearing very obviously sexual clothing rather than tactical gear, are brutally killed by a man, who casually kills them, even over-powering a few and taking no damage from their attacks.

7 issues! That is an issuemanjaro!

This really is a fucked up trailer...

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:
*snipped because I am just quoting you to let you know I read your big long post*

Thinking back to this trailer, I can honestly say that they are going for every kind of controversy they can get their hands on.
A group of women, dressed as nuns, take off their clothes, but are actually wearing very obviously sexual clothing rather than tactical gear, are brutally killed by a man, who casually kills them, even over-powering a few and taking no damage from their attacks.

He gets slashed up quite a bit by the last two battle nuns.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Is this really a big deal it's just a random stupid trailer made to drum up some quick publicity, no real harm done and everyone will forget about it by the time a new trailer pops up like always.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
JohnDoey said:
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:

It is more of a *poke* "ow that kind of hurt" *BRUTALIZES NUN THAT SLASHED HIM*, than any real harm.
Yes he is the heroin, but I'm pretty sure a trained assassin with a pair of daggers that has your back exposed, is smart enough to plant them in your exposed kidneys.

Maybe if they were bread knives she would have done more dps? HEYOOOO~!!!

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Torrasque said:
OniaPL said:
Torrasque said:
Kill a man: regular day at work.
Kill a women: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!

Why is this still a thing? =|

Also, great comic. I would love to play a game where mostly naked women with nipple tassels wielding uzis jump out of cakes and try to kill me.
Oh my god, the stupidity...

Attitudes like this are what are hindering gender equality. If chauvinistic individuals such as yourself don't stop trying to bring women down to the same level as men and treat them the same, equality between the genders will never be attained.
I had to read this a few times to understand what you were saying, but I don't think it is your fault. I kind of haven't slept in 24 hours and am only awake because of cool jazz and Monster :D

You realize I am kidding right? I am making fun of the people who consider the gender of the person being killed (or doing the killing) an important factor. I really don't see the difference between a woman trying to kill someone and a man trying to kill someone.
Sure I may consider the woman in tight leather pants, sexier than the man in tight leather pants, but that is a different thing, lol.
I know you were kidding, obviously I was making a comment on what the woman from IGN said. I find it ridiculous that sometimes the people who want to be treated the same as the other sex want to be treated differently.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Torrasque said:
JohnDoey said:
Torrasque said:
Vrex360 said:

It is more of a *poke* "ow that kind of hurt" *BRUTALIZES NUN THAT SLASHED HIM*, than any real harm.
Yes he is the heroin, but I'm pretty sure a trained assassin with a pair of daggers that has your back exposed, is smart enough to plant them in your exposed kidneys.

Honestly I like the trailer because I hold hope that at some point in the game 47 joins forces with the battle nuns and becomes a battle priest and together they form the roving battle church officials gang, going on wicked church based adventures. Also from the bread knives comment, I want a mission were the only weapon you have is a stale bagel and the packet of jelly.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
OniaPL said:
Torrasque said:
OniaPL said:
Torrasque said:
Kill a man: regular day at work.
Kill a women: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!

Why is this still a thing? =|

Also, great comic. I would love to play a game where mostly naked women with nipple tassels wielding uzis jump out of cakes and try to kill me.
Oh my god, the stupidity...

Attitudes like this are what are hindering gender equality. If chauvinistic individuals such as yourself don't stop trying to bring women down to the same level as men and treat them the same, equality between the genders will never be attained.
I had to read this a few times to understand what you were saying, but I don't think it is your fault. I kind of haven't slept in 24 hours and am only awake because of cool jazz and Monster :D

You realize I am kidding right? I am making fun of the people who consider the gender of the person being killed (or doing the killing) an important factor. I really don't see the difference between a woman trying to kill someone and a man trying to kill someone.
Sure I may consider the woman in tight leather pants, sexier than the man in tight leather pants, but that is a different thing, lol.
I know you were kidding, obviously I was making a comment on what the woman from IGN said. I find it ridiculous that sometimes the people who want to be treated the same as the other sex want to be treated differently.
Oh ok, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
Just a few more hours and I can get some sleep...

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
The saddest thing is all the men who try to rationalize shit like this, who claim that explicitly sexualised violence against women is the same as violence against men, and generally drape themselves in false shroud of victimhood. Sigh, I need a beer...

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Torrasque said:

Stab proof vest? Be a fairly clever investment in has line of work. Also he is the hero, not a brand of opiate painkiller.

OT: Yeah, if this had been a guy dispatching a band of female mercs in tac gear then it would have felt a bit odd but sticking them in sexy nun fancy dress is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. I mean, did you see the shoes at the start? Walking in something like that must be a mare, let alone engaging in hand to hand combat, sneaking around quietly or maintaining your balance while firing a weapon.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
DirtyJunkieScum said:
Torrasque said:

Stab proof vest? Be a fairly clever investment in has line of work. Also he is the hero, not a brand of opiate painkiller.

OT: Yeah, if this had been a guy dispatching a band of female mercs in tac gear then it would have felt a bit odd but sticking them in sexy nun fancy dress is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. I mean, did you see the shoes at the start? Walking in something like that must be a mare, let alone engaging in hand to hand combat, sneaking around quietly or maintaining your balance while firing a weapon.
My bad. It seems I misspelled heroine, but that is a female hero, which is also wrong. I blame lack of sleep.
I doubt he has a stab-proof vest since he has always been the kind of assassin that kills a target without threat of retaliation, or kills multiple targets so fast that he doesn't have to worry about being stabbed. Seeing this kind of combat is just weird.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
The only thing I'll say about the trailer (because everyone else pretty much covered the "Is it sexist or not" aspect) is that I just hope that the nuns actually are in the game, because if it's one thing that grinds my gears, its not controversy, but controversy that isn't even there for the final product. At least stick to your guns when doing things like this and add what you show, even if people don't like it. Seeing as how weird/crazy/sexualized all the other enemies in previous games have been, there's no reason why nuns-with-guns CAN'T fit in this games universe.

CAPTCHA: count your change
Huh, oh you're right, I should make sure I didn't lose anything! Surely nothing bad can happen if-- *Neck snapped by 47*

Jun 7, 2010
Amnestic said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
While it's not quite the attack against women some have seen it as, it certainly is dumb and, assuming the shock value was intentional (why wouldn't it be?) really quite pathetic. Is this how videogame advertising is always going to be? Are we going to see 47 strangling a baby in the next trailer to rile up the controversey machine?
Controversy sells apparently. At least that's what the marketing team takes away from the likes of Modern Warfare. First the nuke, then the airport terrorism, then the...whatever it was in #3. Chemical bombs in London? Yeah, that. Then Treyarch went and got a war criminal to advertise Black Ops 2, which I think was the most preordered game in history?

It's hard to argue with numbers like those. I don't like it any better than you, but the numbers game is not in our favour.
I actually wrote a blog post about this trailer and i think this is appropriate:

You know, what can we actually do in situations like these? If we let this slide without raising an eyebrow, it'll be deemed absolutely fine and will continue as normal, if we DO talk about it, we're just giving the marketers what they want, exposure. Is there a way we can talk about this, and other cases like this, in a constructive, thoughtful manner? That doesn't just set off a bright, burning flamewar that attracts more people to the product due to its intensity? 

I'm not sure guys, i'm not sure.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Blablahb said:
I do wish him a lot of luck trying to strangle someone like shown in the cartoon. That'll take forever.

But it's a great satire regardless. The more stuff like this I see of Absolution, the more I think they're really going to help the Hitman series to shit with that stuff.
MatsVS said:
who claim that explicitly sexualised violence against women is the same as violence against men
But it is, it really is. Punch a woman or punch a man; in both cases it's not so nice to do, and it hurts.
You turn a corner, and see a guy in full body armour. he;s obviously well trained, and is armed. in fact he's drawing a bead on you right now, you shoot him, and kill him.

You turn a corner, and see a woman in lacy underwear. She obviously a civilian and is unarmed. in fact her eyes are widening in fear as she's seeing an armed man advancing on her. You shoot her, and kill her.

Again, the point is CONTEXT. Sexualised violence by its very definition adds an unnecessary and unpleasant dimension of sexuality to the situation. Your not fighting a dangerous man or woman who looks like he/she is a soldier/bodyguard/minion of evil, your fighting an underwear model who's flashing her boobs at you. She's not a threat, she's some T&A for you to ogle. Combining that witht he fact your supposed to kill her... yeah, its all a bit on the creepy side.

I actually watched a gameplay vid of the 'doorstop' situation alluded to in a previous critical miss. Ignoring the bits where you kill monsters, you essentially have a burly, powerful man pushing and dragging a weak, frightened, near naked woman (some censor blurs added by the video itself showing she's at least topless, so the male viewers can ogle her tits) before literally using her in a manner that kills her.