Holy Shit

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
A few things I noticed:

It looks like most of the action will be located in and around the west coast, as the trailers indicate that San Francisco gets case of the Kaiju pretty bad. If I were to guess, Godzilla would first make landfall in Los Angeles, fucks shit up and heads north. Military gets scared, unleashes a giant monster of their own, can't control it, but it goes to fight Godzilla anyway. Though I imagine it will show Godzilla's path of destruction elsewhere. btw, isn't that the Las Vegas version of the Statue of Liberty? I'm pretty sure it is.

At 1:32, holy shit... that's Rodan! That is clearly a giant pterodactyl. Good to see we will get some true monster battles here.

At 2:07, what exactly is that? It looks like a monster claw, could be Rodan's. Does anyone with more knowledge one old monsters have any idea?

Also, good to see Cranston in this. Everything could use more Heisenberg.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
SecretNegative said:
I'm seriously going to dare you to come up with a reason why this movie looks good other than "It's godzilla" or "it's a huge monster that destroys cities" that doesn't make you look like someone who enjoys Transformer or the fast and the furiious. Seriously, try.
Managed to do so without even knowing you had made this dare. Somehow, I doubt it will be satisfying (though for the record, I don't enjoy Transformers or Fast and Furious films).

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The Madman said:
The days of the Flying Circus are over.
Tell that to the Shuttleworth Collection. They still do barnstorming.....and it's bloody brilliant to see!!

As for the movie, seeing as it's about time I say something about that too, I'm actually really looking forward to it.

Sure it's Godzilla. It'll be big, flashy, loud, and utterly brainless. But I don't think the world of cinema would be any richer if we were restricted to films by Akira Kurosawa, Terence Malick, Oliver Stone, Takeshi Kitano, David Fincher etc etc...

We need some stupid once in a while......as long as it's stupid of the highest quality!

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Hm.. could be good.. hard to say.. I actually liked the 1998 US Godzilla movie and various japanese ones from past.. i'm willing to at least give this one a chance and see if it's any good.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Ratty said:
Even more excited than I had been. I'm so there when this hits theaters.

SecretNegative said:
I'm seriously going to dare you to come up with a reason why this movie looks good other than "It's godzilla" or "it's a huge monster that destroys cities" that doesn't make you look like someone who enjoys Transformer or the fast and the furiious. Seriously, try.
Challenge accepted.

As is hinted in the trailer, the monster here represents both the uncontrollable and worst parts of nature and human nature. Godzilla is an unknowable alien entity in a similar vein to a Lovecraftian monstrosity, but he is also us. Or rather, he's a result of our actions.

In this way Godzilla can be seen as the ultimate metaphor for man-made environmental disasters. Such as massive, ecosystem-shifting extinctions from overhunting or pollution. And the disastrous extreme weather patterns and rising sea levels we're seeing as a result of rapid global warming. Which has been accelerated by man-made greenhouse gases. And of course pollution and radioactivity in general.

So the monster allows us to put a face on our worst fears. That the planet is out to kill us, and it's really all our fault.

Also, Bryan Cranston is cute.
Plus, Godzilla could be seen as a metaphor for WW2; something the Japanese inflicted on the States, but which wasn't entirely under their control.

ItouKaiji

May 14, 2013
Bryan Cranston was hilarious in that trailer. Every single word out of his was so overwrought I was just giggling by the end. I just imagine that's how he talks every day like "I wanted ICE CREAM." With his voice cracking as he shouts ice cream.

The rest of the trailer was pretty meh and doesn't tell me much about the movie so the only thing I know so far is Bryan Cranston is going to be chewing the fuck out of the scenery which isn't quite enough to get me on board. Especially because the daylight CG of Godzilla coming up from the ocean looked like crap hopefully they'll fix that before the actual movie releases.

Edit: Actually this could be a hilarious movie if they let Cranston chew more scenery than any of the monsters.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
dyre said:
Nothing like an animated debate on the correct manner in which an F-35 should fall from the sky...
Indeed. In fact, I'm gonna start ignoring it simply because if the manner they fall out of the sky in the movie is incongruent with reality, which is something I'd only know about from reading this stuff, then it'll bug me for the entirety of the film.
*nods wisely*

Some things are better left unknown...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont like the new trailer. How can USA hide a creature thats destroying cities? Just retarded. Still want to watch the movie as i love Godzilla.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
dyre said:
MarsAtlas said:
dyre said:
Nothing like an animated debate on the correct manner in which an F-35 should fall from the sky...
Indeed. In fact, I'm gonna start ignoring it simply because if the manner they fall out of the sky in the movie is incongruent with reality, which is something I'd only know about from reading this stuff, then it'll bug me for the entirety of the film.
*nods wisely*

Some things are better left unknown...
Such as I have no idea who this "Bryan Cranston" is, or any of the faces I saw. I just saw people. Probably better that way, at least for me.

...though come to think of it, there was a pretty strong focus on the military, which I've never liked in films; I'd much prefer it if the main characters were just every day people with the military in the background.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
SecretNegative said:
This is pretty hilarious, by the way, how people (not directed at you, but some other people, to not name names) react to someone going against the stream of "huge things blowing up is badass = good movie", I wouldn't have such a problem with it if other people actually didn't go out of their way to complain about how cinema is being dumbed down to then go to watch Godzilla movies next.
Added an important word to your post that perhaps highlights the issue with your line of reasoning.

I was going to just ignore your posts since it seems like you're just having a bad day, but I just thought I'd point out that it may have been the tone of your initial post that put people off. Go ahead and reread it...it should be pretty clear that insinuating that everyone who likes the movie is a fanboy while going on a tirade on how TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE the film/trailer is and then daring others to prove you wrong (how edgy) is, well, mean-spirited at best.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
SecretNegative said:
And please, Godzilla has never been anything more than a big monster smashing things.

Did you ever watch the first one? Or any Godzilla film since then?

sure the first movie kinda had Godzilla as some kind of weird analogy to the atom bomb over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but let me tell, I seriously doubt that's why people actually watch godzilla, they jsut want to see a a huge monster fuck stuff up.
There's a concept called "allegory" that you may need to familiarize yourself with, more specifically why people use allegory.

This is pretty hilarious, by the way, how people (not directed at you, but some other people, to not name names) react to someone going against the stream of "huge things blowing up is badass = good movie", I wouldn't have such a problem with it if people actually didn't go out of their way to complain about how cinema is being dumbed down to then go to watch Godzilla movies next.
I can already seen plenty of Hurricane Katrina allegory in the trailer. The military force of America, despite being the strongest martial force in the history of the world, couldn't handle the disaster because much of our scientific development has centered around killing other human beings, and when a civilization with those fruits of that scientific development encounter a force outside of its focus, ie nature (not even necessarily natural disasters, but things like disease as well), the civilization gets their butt whupped, and generally only succeed due to this force only being temporary.

And there we go. A condemnation of the US government for applying scientific research towards martial capabilities instead of things like infrastructure or greater application of biological sciences. And I got that from the movie trailer. Granted, it may not continue that way in the film, but just off the trailers, I'm assuming that the humans in question are going to, at some point, be investing into the sciences for a solution to the problem of giant monsters being in their base killing their doods.
I certainly hope that happens.

After all, that is exactly how Godzilla is defeated in the first film, though not without immense sacrifice, in that case killing all life in the Tokyo Bay (and the lead scientist in charge of the device killing himself to prevent the technology from ever being used again).

SecretNegative said:
And seriously it's intelectually dishonest to say the appeal of Godzilla has ever been anything but a giant monster smashing things, you can enjoy that if you want, sure, I won't look down on you, but don't pretend it's anything but that.
The first movie isn't. All Godzilla movies since then, yes, that's the only reason to watch them. But in the first movie, stuff doesn't get destroyed until after an hour into the film, and even then, the entire scene is quite brief. I watch the later films to watch giant monsters beat each other up and destroy buildings, but when I watch the first one, it's because I'm after something far more profound than that. (Plus, it's the only one where Godzilla looks and feels huge, largely because he has a total of about five minutes of screen time, and it's usually in the dark with cameras angled up... and I'm seriously disappointed this new film doesn't use the original movie's deep, rumbling roar that sends some pretty good chills down my spine.)

I'm not saying the original film is on the same level as, say, Grave of the Fireflies (which I haven't seen and am, frankly, terrified to), but it is a legit film with real depth and good characters; IMO, it comes pretty close to Terminator 2 as far as anti-nuclear-war movies go. The trailer to this film seems to indicate that someone finally got that, though there is definitely a good chance that this new film will be nothing more than giant monsters fighting and smashing things (after all, one general rule I've discovered with films these days is: good trailer = bad movie; bad trailer = good movie).

BTW, when I refer to the original Godzilla film, I'm referring specifically to the Japanese version, not that terrible American version with Raymond Burr, which pretty much is a bad b-monster flick,
the only hint of something more being the choir of students near the end.

Though, if it helps, I'm not mad that you chose to voice your opinion which contradicts the majority opinion here. It certainly helped me realize that the emphasis on the military in these trailers is not a good sign when it comes to my tastes.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
SecretNegative said:
This is honestly pretty hilarious, call one trailer out for being terrible, and five people jump on your throat. This is kinda what happens when you (rightfully) call out Joss Whedon, Batman, the Avengers, Marvel movies, Nintendo, 8-bit games from the 80's, Dark Souls around here, people don't seem to accept those things being bad in their worldview. I didn't jump on anyone who liked the trailer, if you actually noticed that, but apparantly not.

I really had no idea people actually for this upset just because something they liked was critisized, but holy hell did I just step on a hornet's nest. This community is just becoming a parody of itself, right now. It's just a fucking movie guys, it's not even that, it's a trailer, and you still get your Jimmies rustled? Come on, that's just silly and I hope you know it.
Alright, Imma try to reply as levelly as possible here, so don't get your own jimmies in a twist, here.

Reread your original post:
SecretNegative said:
This, no kidding, looks like an asylum movie with decent special effects. All of you assholes who complain about cinema being dumbed down, you finally have your one example.

I mean, this movie looks like the dumbest piece of shit that's cynically trying to cash in on nostalgia for movies that were fucking terrible to begin with.

Okay, so you're calling people assholes, straight up attacking what the OP posted, and being incredibly confrontational. This is considered bad forum etiquette, and doesn't exactly give anyone any reason to treat you with respect. So, for starters, if you have an opinion you want to share with people, maybe don't be that aggressive about it. Also, when people (rightfully) get up in your face about your rude attitude, maybe don't post a bunch of image macros mocking everyone. It really cements you as an unlikable prick in the eyes of....well, everyone, really.

So, let me sum up: you post inflammatory comments on a post that really isn't trying to offend anyone, then mock and insult everyone who challenges you. Couple that with a very self-righteous attitude:
SecretNegative said:
I'm sorry I bothered you with my standards and actually rate movies based not on if they have big things but if they actually are well made.
and maybe you'll begin to see why people may be responding negatively to your attitude here.

So please. Calm down. You're not impressing anyone with how edgy and how sophisticated you are.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
I completely understand why SecretNegative is baffled that people think this looks good. Just the same generic disaster movie.

Looks like a cross between two Emmerich films. Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Catfood220 said:
Seriously, why does every single movie trailer have to have the "BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!" in it, have we no other ways to create tension?
We do but Inception made the BWAAAAAAUUHHMMMMM popular for soundtracks somehow and now lots of things are doing it.

Now I loved Inception's original soundtrack but why did they only take that from it? Now its distorted. Great. -.-

OT: The thing about trailers is that they are often deliberately misleading. Clearly this will be about a love triangle and focus on people we don't care about while the monster rampages offscreen!

I'm joking of course. We need to wait until it comes out to actually see just how much fun they can make us have with a monster rampaging. I have high hopes but I'm not going to be surprised if it turns out terrible either.

They are playing the hype card and, cynical as I was when I pressed play, it worked. Monster movies are great fun if done right.

Do it right.

Please.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I don't need to watch the trailer to know this will be a bad story. I only enjoy movies with good stories. Remakes have like a 99.9% ratio of being bad. (if you have to copy someone elses idea, you probably can't come up with your own).

It's sad that this is what movies, and even video games are becoming. Visual and audio popcorn. Snacks.

Also the inception noise is much like the piano clang. I freaking hate that thing, it sometimes pops up in freaking comedies for petes sake.