Holy Shit

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
dyre said:
Ah, but that's exactly what the Pentagon is trying to do! That is, they plan to scrap the A-10 and rely on F-35s for ground support (and pretty much all other roles).
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/dod-aims-to-scrap-a-10-to-keep-f-35-alive-in-new-budget/

Clearly Hollywood is trying to demonstrate that this is a terrible idea by showing the F-35's inability to handle anti-Godzilla operations; you should be thanking them!
Hmm, if you're right then it's pushed the movie up to a 3/10. Still not enough A-10, but at least they're there in spirit.
Private Custard said:
Modern military jets are built to be inherently unstable. This enables them to be ultra-agile. Their psychotic natural flight and glide characteristics are kept in check by computers.

Computers get killed by what?

The cables and levers of old are gone. Everything in a modern aircraft has to pass through some kind of computer, before something moves, thrusts, burns, spins or shoots.
In case it isn't obvious that I'm just joking around I'll point it out now plain and simple: I'm just joking around. If the many, many ways in which airplane are misrepresented in movies really bugged me that much I'd probably be on some aviation forum complaining about it right now rather than cracking wise on a videogame forum.

HOWEVER, if you want to get all technical and whatnot, sure. I can do that.

Yes modern day jetfighter are computer driven and inherently unstable, but even were those computers to all shut down at once the plane itself is still going to continue moving forward under the strength of its own inertia till such a time as the air resistance has brought the forward momentum to a stop, which on a modern jetfighter traveling at speed can take quite some time. We also know that's not the case since we see the pilot ejecting at a low altitude, giving the impression that it hasn't been spiraling out of control for the last few minutes. Thus why a plane depicted as suddenly falling straight down is not only inaccurate but impossible short of the planes having been pulling some upwards flight stunt and having stalled, which you'll find happens annoyingly often in air shows and looney tunes.

I suppose those could have been F-35B variants that were in the process of a vertical takeoff when they lost power, but seeing as there's no carrier beneath them when they fall, that too seems unlikely.

SO BAM! Inaccurate use of physics. -5/10, worst movie ever!

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
cojo965 said:
MarsAtlas said:
@the guys in the jet fighter talk

Its not beyond Godzilla lore to have flying monsters. I mean, looking at the first and second trailer, I'm like 99% certain that there's at least one other monster, and I counted what could be upwards of three different ones. I don't know how they're handling the designs of other monsters, so I don't know who, but I've basically determined this by going "wait a minute, that doesn't look like Godzilla..." and then comparing that piece of anatomy to the Godzilla figurine that has already been shown. Its by no means fallible, but I think the shots of the subway car getting torn apart, whatever it is that they cut to at 1:33, the claw thingy at 2:07 (looks like part of an insect), and obviously biological object at 1:28 that clearly is not gonna be Godzilla. It could also explain the goo over the radioactive/nuclear whatever it is at about the one minute mark. Of course none of that is confirmation that there's going to be another monster, but I think its safe to say that in this Godzilla-verse, there can be other monsters, based on the enormous skeleton shown at like 1:45.

So yeah, I expect giant monster fights, including at least one that can fly. They'd be incredibly stupid not to, after Godzilla 1998 being so bad for many reasons, including the fact that that film had no other monsters or any kind of monster fights.

Catfood220 said:
Also, you forgot to mention the destroyed Statue of Liberty which now seems to be a thing that you must have in every disaster movie based in America these days.
Since this isn't a widespread disaster flick, I expect a lot of the movie to occur in New York, and that they showed it specifically for the reason that everybody knows Statue of Liberty = New York. Its an easy way to setup the location of the film in a trailer, just like how the trailers to many films that take place in other countries often make note of architecture specific to that region of the world in the trailer. Its New York because its the biggest and most populous American city, as well as having the strongest ties of any american city to the eastern hemisphere - it'd be stupid to use any other city for what they're aiming to be the summer blockbuster of the year.
I feel that the damage in New York was not by Godzilla because confirmed attack sites have so far been centered on the Pacific at locations like Hawaii and San Francisco. So it's not out of the question that by the time the movie's plot kicks in monster (or MUTO) attacks have been on the rise perhaps due to becoming agitated by the rise of increasingly big monsters, with Godzilla perhaps at the heart of it by way of being the biggest yet.
Uh, I don't know why you guys seem to think it's the actual Statue of Liberty. There is very visible desert in the background and right before there was a shot of a devastated Vegas Strip. I think it's clear that the statue is the small Vegas one, not the real one.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
SecretNegative said:
Coakle said:
Isn't every Asylum movie just a blockbuster with poor special effects? Aw well, I liked the trailer. It established that the army won't have the "Should we nuke it?" dilemma. They tried that, it didn't work. So it's a pretty safe bet that the army will be woefully ineffective against Godzilla. That means either they give Godzilla a dumb weakness or they throw in something to upend the status-quo.

Hopefully it's the latter.

SecretNegative said:
I mean, this movie looks like the dumbest piece of shit that's cynically trying to cash in on nostalgia for movies that were fucking terrible to begin with.
???

I suppose this isn't your type of movie. I really like the Kaiju and I think this movie will be a good time. However it would be delusional to assume it is a game changer that converts people who already know they can't stand the genre.
I'm sorry, but do you judge every monster movie by "Does it have big monsters and stuff blows up?" Do you not at all care about things like pacing, characters, writing, action sequences (not the scale, but how it's shot and made), creative thoughts are any other quality than "if it's a big monster that blow stuff up, I'm happy", are your standards seriously that low?

Plus, no, the asylum movies aren't blockbusters with bad effects, have you actually seen an asylum film?

In this case, I was under the impression that you didn't care about things like creativity, pacing, writing, ect. because I thought you implied that Kaiju movies were "fucking terrible to begin with." I assumed you were personally turned off by giant monster movies for whatever reason. I didn't want to assume you didn't like those movies because you thought they were devoid of creativity or pacing.

It would be rude to think that you suck at analyzing these kinds of movies. The wording was a bit vague, so I might have misinterpreted.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Coakle said:
Edit: I do think it's dumb and a bit cynical to set the movie in New York. The trailer made it obvious that Godzilla was in the Pacific Ocean. Unless we get a scene where he plows through the Panama Canal, I'll be a bit disappointed.
Again, don't think that New York was destroyed by Godzilla but by another monster.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Zontar said:
cojo965 said:
MarsAtlas said:
@the guys in the jet fighter talk

Its not beyond Godzilla lore to have flying monsters. I mean, looking at the first and second trailer, I'm like 99% certain that there's at least one other monster, and I counted what could be upwards of three different ones. I don't know how they're handling the designs of other monsters, so I don't know who, but I've basically determined this by going "wait a minute, that doesn't look like Godzilla..." and then comparing that piece of anatomy to the Godzilla figurine that has already been shown. Its by no means fallible, but I think the shots of the subway car getting torn apart, whatever it is that they cut to at 1:33, the claw thingy at 2:07 (looks like part of an insect), and obviously biological object at 1:28 that clearly is not gonna be Godzilla. It could also explain the goo over the radioactive/nuclear whatever it is at about the one minute mark. Of course none of that is confirmation that there's going to be another monster, but I think its safe to say that in this Godzilla-verse, there can be other monsters, based on the enormous skeleton shown at like 1:45.

So yeah, I expect giant monster fights, including at least one that can fly. They'd be incredibly stupid not to, after Godzilla 1998 being so bad for many reasons, including the fact that that film had no other monsters or any kind of monster fights.

Catfood220 said:
Also, you forgot to mention the destroyed Statue of Liberty which now seems to be a thing that you must have in every disaster movie based in America these days.
Since this isn't a widespread disaster flick, I expect a lot of the movie to occur in New York, and that they showed it specifically for the reason that everybody knows Statue of Liberty = New York. Its an easy way to setup the location of the film in a trailer, just like how the trailers to many films that take place in other countries often make note of architecture specific to that region of the world in the trailer. Its New York because its the biggest and most populous American city, as well as having the strongest ties of any american city to the eastern hemisphere - it'd be stupid to use any other city for what they're aiming to be the summer blockbuster of the year.
I feel that the damage in New York was not by Godzilla because confirmed attack sites have so far been centered on the Pacific at locations like Hawaii and San Francisco. So it's not out of the question that by the time the movie's plot kicks in monster (or MUTO) attacks have been on the rise perhaps due to becoming agitated by the rise of increasingly big monsters, with Godzilla perhaps at the heart of it by way of being the biggest yet.
Uh, I don't know why you guys seem to think it's the actual Statue of Liberty. There is very visible desert in the background and right before there was a shot of a devastated Vegas Strip. I think it's clear that the statue is the small Vegas one, not the real one.
I did not know about that, well that changes things.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
I thought that this movie was supposed to be set in San Francisco. Would make more sense considering, you know, that's where the Pacific Ocean is. But now we see the Statue of Liberty again. Perhaps it's a widespread kaiju attack on both seaboards.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The Madman said:
HOWEVER, if you want to get all technical and whatnot, sure. I can do that.
Just not as well as you think!!

Point #1 : Aircraft (particularly military fast jets) aren't always in level flight.

Point #2 : Simply turning hard can scrub off an enormous amount of speed. Flick through to 4m50s in the following video. 6g turn for six seconds, 100+ knots lost.

Start at a slower speed, expecting to have the thrust to accelerate out of it, and you'll be screwed when you don't......and you'll literally be falling from the sky. If the dogfight in question is tight, they'll all be in the danger zone (sorry, couldn't avoid the reference!).

Point 3 : Late ejections. You'd be amazed by how many pilots wait until the last seconds to bail. The 'I can save this' mindset!

By now, you've probably seen the Harrier pilot ejecting, even though he's already crashed and is sliding down the runway!

EDIT : Before I forget......the killer punch!

Sorry!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Perhaps it's a widespread kaiju attack on both seaboards.
Well like I've said elsewhere in the thread, I have seen what I'm sure is an entirely separate monster, plus other things that lead me to believe that there's two others, and thats not counting the clearly biological "thing" at 1:27, so it'd make sense if they're spreading out and attacking different cities. As it was said, "this town ain't big enough for the both of us", and if they're attacking the city in search of food sources (lots of people = lots of food), then it'd make further sense.
According to the reports from Comic Con last year, there are at least two other Kaiju apart from Big G in the film. One of them is going by the name MUTO, so far, and it or the other one is apparently a large, centipede like creature.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
SecretNegative said:
Ok, you win, Godzilla is hereby provably a film worthy to be studied by the academics for years.
You may be being sarcastic. But it is. Popular "event" media that captures some part of the popular subconscious ("the popular zeitgeist" if you want to be pretentious) almost always are.

I mean, sitting around examining what a creator meant with "true art" is fine and all, but ultimately it's just mental masturbation. It doesn't tell us anything but the thoughts/opinion of a particular artist(s) and the academics studying it.

On the other hand. Something that appeals to the mass imagination can reveal what millions of people are thinking about during a particular period in time.

For example, just look at all the racial undertones (and overtones) in the original "Planet of the Apes" movies. Those really struck a chord with audiences[footnote]To the point that there were 5 movies, short-lived live action and cartoon shows, and more merchandise than you can shake a stick at.[/footnote] and were made during the height of the civil rights movement. The first two movies in that series also played on the Cold War's omnipresent fear of total nuclear annihilation as well. And these were ostensibly just "dumb popcorn movies with impressive special effects" for the masses.

SecretNegative said:
I'm sorry I bothered you with my standards and actually rate movies based not on if they have big things but if they actually are well made.
But you can't know if the film is made well or not just from the trailer.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Private Custard said:
Just not as well as you think!!
OH NO YOU DIDUNT!!!
*headshake*

Should have saved that killer blow of yours. You got cocky kid, and it's gonna make ya suffer. See, the funny thing about that Gripen crashing video you linked is that it did so during an air show. An air show in which the pilot stalled during a low speed maneuver.

Here's a report on the crash in that video.

And as a wise, wise man once said:
The Madman said:
Thus why a plane depicted as suddenly falling straight down is not only inaccurate but impossible short of the planes having been pulling some upwards flight stunt and having stalled, which you'll find happens annoyingly often in air shows and looney tunes.
OH SNAP SON!

While your points 1 2 and 3 are correct, you're ignoring the circumstances of the situation. Those planes in the movie aren't showing off for a crowd by pulling feats of aerobatics, they're presumably off to fight Godzilla or some other similar monster. They're going fast.

To reflect that I believe this is a more appropriate video:

Not as fancy since there's no video of the crash in question, but you'll note how when he was going fast and he had to eject, the plane was still going fast. Fast enough it nearly killed him.

Sorry!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nothing like an animated debate on the correct manner in which an F-35 should fall from the sky...

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The Madman said:
I didn't post the Gripen video to show anything to do with computer failure. I posted it to show that it's totally possible for an aircraft to fall straight down from the sky, rather than travel three counties away before hitting the deck.

Sure, for an air to air engagement BVR, aircraft will be really shifting. BVR is like a massive 3D game of chess. But this is Hollywood, and they think BVR engagements are boring. To be fair, they have a point, it wouldn't be much of a spectacle on the big screen. And that's where all that fancy airshow agility comes into play......agility that these aircraft are designed with for a good reason, they might actually need it one day. I regularly see F-15s in the skies over Lincolnshire, flying in from various directions, slowing right down and having a mock dogfight in extremely close quarters. They do actually train for it! Which is why I don't think it's that far-fetched to say that aircraft dropping out of the sky is totally possible, especially if they're operating at those limits.

There are many types of air to air combat. You're just not thinking Hollywood!

EDIT: I'd like to add, that it's nice to chat to someone else that actually reads crash reports!

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
These trailers indicate to me that, after 60 years, someone FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT!!! The first Godzilla movie (that is to say, the Japanese version) is not a B-monster movie at all, but a genuine A-grade movie about the human element in a large-scale disaster, and the perfect allegory for nuclear destruction from the only country that's faced it first-hand. The movie is dark, taken very seriously, and features truly heart-wrenching moments. But within a year, all that was forgotten with a silly sequel, and hasn't been successfully remembered since. (Though I've heard that the glut of Japanese monster vs. films during the 60s, 70s, and 80s could be taken as kind of an allegory for the Cold War, since Japan was this tiny, insignificant country geographically situated between two giants that might destroy it in their fight.)

I have very high hopes for this film, and really hope they don't screw it up. (Then again, this is Hollywood; they're known for screwing these things up.)

And I REALLY hope they don't try to do the whole "it was the French bomb tests that created Godzilla, not America's!" thing from the 1999 film. ('Specially considering the footage used in the opening of that film depicting the so-called "French nuclear tests" was footage of not only an American test, but of Bikini Atoll the largest American bomb ever detonated. This new film had BETTER not do that.)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
dyre said:
Nothing like an animated debate on the correct manner in which an F-35 should fall from the sky...
AKA the best kind of debate!

Private Custard said:
There are many types of air to air combat. You're just not thinking Hollywood!
True enough. Like I said earlier I'm only enjoying myself poking fun here, I didn't actually expect to get into a debate on how fighters crash. You and I both know it seems that in reality 'dogfighting' doesn't even really happen anymore as anything other than air exercises and air show performances, in a modern air engagement it's unlikely both participants will even see each other at all as anything other than a blip on the proverbial radar before it's over. But that unfortunately also tends to make for poor movie fodder.

The days of the Flying Circus are over.

So to that end I'm just going to assume there's a monster in the movie we haven't seen and that those airplane we see in the video were actually just dropped from the creatures giant monstrous claws after it deftly caught them midair and disabled them with some sort of slime that oozed from its porous skin.

Badass! That thought just redeemed Godzilla in my eyes. 10/10, would see again!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Holy fuck that trailer was terrible, it basically went like this:

Horrible actor: Serious stuff!
BWAAAAAUUUHMMMMM!
Horrible Actor: I'm serious, serious stuff!
BWAAAAAAUUUHHHMMMMMM!
Horrible actor number 2: I am bad guy because I am denial!
Horrible actor: I'm hyping up stuff!
BWAAAAAUUHHMMMMMM!
Horrible actor: I need to hype stuff up for the trailer! This is serious guys!
BWAAAAAAAUUUUHHHHMMMMMMM!
BWAAAAAAUUUHMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Horrible actor: Most hype more so the fanboys get excited!
*shot of tons of special effects*
Horrible actor: MOAR CLICHÉ HYPE WORDS!
Inception asian guy: Background history
Female character: More backgroundssss!
Both: COMBINED BACKGROUNDHISTORY/HYPE! PHWOOOARRRR!
*Meanwhile the annoying score from the LSD-bit from 2001: A Space odessey if playing*
Horrible actor: THERE'S NOT ENOUGH HYPE!
Some people: Hype! Hype! Hype! Hype!
BHHAWWWWUUUUHHMMMMMM!
*HUGE SUDDEN EXPLOSION!*
*Trademark Godzilla roar for maximum hype!*
Did... did you just call Bryan Cranston a horrible actor?