Homefront Has a 5-Hour Campaign. Sort of.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
runedeadthA said:
Homefront, I'm trying to like you, I really am, but you are making this Really hard for me. If your campaign isn't up to scratch I'm not buying you for MP alone.
I'm with you on this one...I've really tried to throw support and interest behind this game from the beginning but...

Fox KITSUNE said:
Awwwwwww and the sad part is I didn't even care about the mulitplayer for this one. I wanted to see how the game pictured America and North Korea and how the story played out.

Being a fan of "Freedom Fighters" I was looking forward to this... NOW

IDK Im kinda hopeing Quality over length now
I remember Halo 3 ran kind of short but co-op/achievements made it great for a buncha replays, and MW2 was fun to go back and do on Veteran (STILL stuck on Contingency...only one left gah), more so than BO which I'm not sure I wanna try on vet

but hey if Homefront has high replayability (co-op or not...sighh oh you developers), it would be awesome and make up for it somewhat

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Ajna said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Ajna said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
And now I wonder (1) when the map pack will be released and (2) if it will be $10 or $15.
Neither. $17. They said "different from every modern shooter", silly.
Doh! Silly indeed!

So I guess the Special edition will be $75, the documentary will be Korean with English subtitles, and, in order to compete with Call of Duty, the Ultimate [i}Super[/i] Collector's Edition will come with a Hummer 3 and an inactive mine.
Nah, still to similar to other modern shooters. They're not releasing any special/limited/premium/collectors edition.

Not sure if that was a joke or not, because I don't think they are.
I honestly don't know if they really are, but it would be interesting to see how they try to pull it off without looking vaguely similar to every other modern shooter out there already.

It's great to strive to be different, but how about doing so by not being a modern shooter in the first place?!?
[sub]Just saying, space marines are starting look like fresh material to me again...[/sub]

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
In other words you have to die multiple times to extend the length of the game, yeah that makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll be waiting till its in the $40 range till I buy it. I'm more interested in the singleplayer anyways.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eico said:
I was just saying sorry in case I offended you or you felt I was attacking you. Wouldn't want that.
Random thought, I know, but this conversation/news post actually reminded me of a conversation I had a while back about doing a video game based on the 6-day War with Israel and whatnot. It'd be controversial as all hell, but I'd honestly like to see it happen, or at least something similar. It's pretty similar (from what I understand of the war) to what this game is trying to do.

Again, random thought, I have no idea how I was reminded of that.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
joe the janitor said:
Gxas said:
vansau said:
For everybody else, the game is about the same length as other, competing, FPS titles.
So... About five hours then.
LOL made me laugh :D
me to :p ftw

Jaeriko said:
I think Homefront is a pretty cool guy. eh has 5 huor campiagn and doesn't afraid of North Korean invaders.
also ftw xD

but I have noticed recently that I've been cutting through FPS campaigns like a knife through soft butter (even if I'm not all that boss at competitive MP). getting awful familiar and comfortable with it is what I'm saying :/

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dammit I actually had high hopes for this title and it seems the case with bulletstorm too

I mean I dont want to spend that about of money on somthign ill finish in an afternoon I might as well spend $15 on a good movie

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Saucycardog said:
I don't understand why people are bashing the game just for its length. Surely quality over quantity is a way better choice in design.

Edit: By the way, after some searching, I have found the magazine that revealed the length of its campaign and they also said other things about the game:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=248775
If you read the front cover it says something quite interesting.
as I said before for that amount of money I might as well buy a really good movie wich will entertain me for an afternoon

the problem people have with lack of length is that you buy the game..finish it on the same day then you have to go buy another game, I mean for agame that boasted itself on story thats pretty annoying and how can that possibly be worth $80?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Worgen said:
a good single player fps campaign should last about 12 hours, Im so sick of fps games wanting to just be one long explosion instead of a journey, half life 2 was a journey and it was awesome
Agreed more shooters need to be that long and be an awesome journey.

FoRtMinor44

Mar 3, 2011
well the way i look at it is people have paid 60 bucks for stuff that didn't last longer than 5 minutes so if it's gonna be 5 hours i guess thats a win :)

major28

Feb 25, 2010
i love that they are defending themselves by saying "no it can be 10 hours" thats shorter than a large amount of ps2 games, you have better hardware now use it god dam it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
gphjr14 said:
In other words you have to die multiple times to extend the length of the game, yeah that makes a lot of sense.
........Unless your some kind of a super player who can make it through the entire campaign easily without ever dying or finding anything challenging, yes.

Beating the challenge is a part of the gameplay. Most games can be shortened dramatically if you are really, really good at them.

EDIT: The replies on this thread are just another proof that nobody ever reads more then the headline before commenting.

HE SAID 5 HOURS FOR EXPERT PlAYERS AND 8-10 HOURS FOR MOST EVERYBODY ELSE!!!!!
...........And a lot of games are extended with actual content, not just repetitiveness.
FYI I read the whole article. I feel that dieing repeatedly just adds to the length of the game not the quality which is often attributed to length.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eico said:
Jumplion said:
Eico said:
I was just saying sorry in case I offended you or you felt I was attacking you. Wouldn't want that.
Random thought, I know, but this conversation/news post actually reminded me of a conversation I had a while back about doing a video game based on the 6-day War with Israel and whatnot. It'd be controversial as all hell, but I'd honestly like to see it happen, or at least something similar. It's pretty similar (from what I understand of the war) to what this game is trying to do.

Again, random thought, I have no idea how I was reminded of that.
Six Days in Fallujah?
Hmm, didn't think of that, but that's an entirely different conflict. This [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_day_war] was what I was thinking of. Though I don't want to get off topic (or start a political war or whatever), so, whatever.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
And this is why the game is worth renting, but not buying for me. I would hope a game that had the campaign so talked up would have spent more time on it, making a longer, more drawn out campaign.

Just because people buy CoD for multiplayer and the campaign is short doesn't mean that all games like it will sell, and again, the game has been riding high on the "unqiue" story in which the single player gives you a new kind of combat feel, however, only getting it in the length of a short campaign does nothing to help the game.

Ball has been dropped here, hardcore. I'm using a free rental, playing the game, then taking it back. Even if I take my time and it's beatable in 8-10 hrs, that still doesn't do it for me. Bulletstorm was fun, but I was still a little upset that I beat it in less than a week on very hard. Homefront's polished look is getting shit covered more and more every time we learn about it, if they were smart they'd shut up about it and just let it release without any news about the game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I will never, ever understand the complaining when a game is "short." Have you ever read a book and gone, "Wow, I hate the characters and the writing sucks but hell yeah, I've got 200 more pages to go!" Or "Wow, that was a great read, but it could have used an extra 150 pages of filler at the end."

I would rather a great 5-8 hour game over a mediocre 15-20+ hour one. Hell, in general I'd take a shorter game over a longer game any day - I want to finish the story, and I don't have the time to waste on long games. This is exactly why I'm giving Dragon Age 2 a pass.

Christ on a cracker, people are spoiled.