Homophobisms

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
TheVioletBandit said:
Woodsey said:
TheVioletBandit said:
You used the word "homophobia", but I think you mean people that hate gay people, not people that are afraid of them?

homophobia

noun
[mass noun]
an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/homophobia?q=homophobia
Thanks for the definition Woodsey, but as illogical as it may seem , when I see the suffix "phobia" attached to the morpheme homo I think:

ho·mo
   [hoh-moh] Show IPA
noun, plural ho·mos. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive .
a homosexual.

and

pho·bi·a
   [foh-bee-uh] Show IPA
noun, suffix
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Because of this, I conclude that the words means "a fear of homosexuals". Of course your oxford dictionary definition doesn't necessarily contest my conclusion. It states that homophobia is, "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuals", and we can see in our definition of "phobia" that fear would cause an "aversion" or "compelling desire to avoid thing/person/situation/place."

We can even look at the etymology of the word which is:

Coined by George Weinberg in the 1960s,[9] the term homophobia is a blend of the word homosexual, itself a mix of neo-classical morphemes, and (2) phobia from the Greek φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear".

The term has little scientific standing, and is for the most part a pejorative term. So, I would suggest the term "Homonegativity" or "homonegativism" in order to avoid the term "homophobia", which is regarded as being unscientific in its presumption of motivation.
You are splitting hairs. Whether or not the term is technically correct, you damn sure know what someone means when they use it.
Yeah, I know what they mean. Whether or not I understood their meaning was never in question. I have seen tons of people on his forum discuss terminology/grammar/etymology, so why is it wrong or "splitting hairs" now? Also, if a discussion about language is boring or trite to you, your in no way obligated to respond.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Never been hit on myself. I don't really hang out too often in places that would have people (gay or straight) hitting on others. I have yet to see a romantic tale of "love at first sight" blossom in a local pub.

Jul 9, 2008
TheVioletBandit said:
TheVioletBandit said:
Woodsey said:
TheVioletBandit said:
You used the word "homophobia", but I think you mean people that hate gay people, not people that are afraid of them?

homophobia

noun
[mass noun]

Thanks for the definition Woodsey, but as illogical as it may seem , when I see the suffix "phobia" attached to the morpheme homo I think:

ho·mo
   [hoh-moh] Show IPA
a homosexual.

and

pho·bi·a
   [foh-bee-uh] Show IPA
noun, suffix
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Because of this, I conclude that the words means "a fear of homosexuals". Of course your oxford dictionary definition doesn't necessarily contest my conclusion. It states that homophobia is, "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuals", and we can see in our definition of "phobia" that fear would cause an "aversion" or "compelling desire to avoid thing/person/situation/place."

Coined by George Weinberg in the 1960s,[9] the term homophobia is a blend of the word homosexual, itself a mix of neo-classical morphemes, and (2) phobia from the Greek φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear".

The term has little scientific standing, and is for the most part a pejorative term. So, I would suggest the term "Homonegativity" or "homonegativism" in order to avoid the term "homophobia", which is regarded as being unscientific in its presumption of motivation.
You are splitting hairs. Whether or not the term is technically correct, you damn sure know what someone means when they use it.
Yeah, I know what they mean. Whether or not I understood their meaning was never in question. I have seen tons of people on his forum discuss terminology/grammar/etymology, so why is it wrong or "splitting hairs" now? Also, if a discussion about language is boring or trite to you, your in no way obligated to respond.
My apologies. I have had this argument a lot, but it tended to involve way more people becoming disproportionately offended by the very idea of the word "homophobia", which tends to get on my nerves. That did not happen in this case, however, and I am sorry for assuming.

Jun 16, 2010
TheVioletBandit said:
homophobia

If you want to get pedantic, why stop at phobia? Homo is just a slang term. When used in a scientific context it means either "Homo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo]" the genus of modern humans, or a greek-derived prefix meaning "the same". So I suppose "homonegative" would technically mean something that is not human.

Point being, getting pedantic with language is hypocritical, because if you look too hard nothing we say actually makes logical sense.

On topic: I assume everyone wants me because I'm a narcissist, not because I'm a homophobe.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
TheVioletBandit said:
TheVioletBandit said:
Woodsey said:
TheVioletBandit said:

homophobia

noun
[mass noun]

ho·mo
   [hoh-moh] Show IPA
a homosexual.

and

pho·bi·a
   [foh-bee-uh] Show IPA
noun, suffix

My apologies. I have had this argument a lot, but it tended to involve way more people becoming disproportionately offended by the very idea of the word "homophobia", which tends to get on my nerves. That did not happen in this case, however, and I am sorry for assuming.
I accept your apology, and I can see why you would have thought that. Personal, I'm not offended by the term homophobia; as the term doesn't apply to me, and in some cases I actually think it's a good word to describe individuals(those individuals being the ones that are literally afraid of homosexuality, as in they think being around a gay person will make them gay, or some other nonsense), I just think using the term to describe any opposition to homosexuality is a little weird linguistically speaking. Also, I have seen people get offended by the terms pejorative nature which is kind of silly. Although, I guess the people that would be offend by the term already stupidly hate gay people, so maybe we should expect them to be stupidly offended by the term.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
James Joseph Emerald said:
TheVioletBandit said:
homophobia

If you want to get pedantic, why stop at phobia? Homo is just a slang term. When used in a scientific context it means either "Homo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo]" the genus of modern humans, or a greek-derived prefix meaning "the same". So I suppose "homonegative" would technically mean something that is not human.

Point being, getting pedantic with language is hypocritical, because if you look too hard nothing we say actually makes logical sense.

On topic: I assume everyone wants me because I'm a narcissist, not because I'm a homophobe.
In general I consider myself a descriptivist. I'm not overly concerned with the rules of language and will happily agree that natural languages in general are irregular, and because of this could be seen as illogical. I simply made a statement about the usage of the word to which someone replied by posting an oxford definition. I Then replied in in the same manner to support my original claim.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Been hit on by 3 guys. Two of em in a bar and they got the idea pretty quickly when I explained that I was straight and that was that. Ended up chatting with em for a bit and they usually go off after that.

Then there was the last guy who kept persisting and acted like I was making excuses... when i'm just straight :/. It's kind of flattering I guess but seeing as I'm not looking to get a boyfriend any time soon I don't take it to heart.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Straight guy here.

Never been hit on by a guy.

Of course, never been hit on by a woman either (except a couple times as practical jokes, FML).

That there is no danger of it happening has basically become my take on it. "Women don't see anything they want here, why should men?" If I were hit on by a guy, I like to think I could just smile and say thanks, not interested, i'm straight, rather than freaking out.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheVioletBandit said:
Pedantic comment is pedantic. It's a clearly defined word that can mean fear of or hate of, needlessly 'correcting' it because you think it should be interpreted completely literally is a waste of time.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Straight guy. I think I might have been hit on by a gay guy? Was at work, didn't notice until after he'd left that he seemed awfully chatty towards me. I've got a couple of gay friends who have said I'm not their type. All in all I'd take it as a compliment; always nice to know you're attractive. Granted I'd rather be seen as attractive to straight or bi girls but hey.

Captcha: how quaint

Whatever you say captcha...

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
I have not been hit on by men before. As a straight guy I'm okay with that. Then again, being part of a couple I don't really want to be hit on by women either... my eyes screamed at the last one that tried it. (Because I'm a smooth operator) My very straight and slightly narrow minded friend however is a popular hit amongst men for some reason and it's quite amusing at how uncomfortable it makes him. "No man's hands should be that soft!"

If it did happen to me it'd be awkward, but I'd hardly consider it an offense against me.

Jun 16, 2010
TheVioletBandit said:

In general I consider myself a descriptivist. I'm not overly concerned with the rules of language and will happily agree that natural languages in general are irregular, and because of this could be seen as illogical. I simply made a statement about the usage of the word to which someone replied by posting an oxford definition. I Then replied in in the same manner to support my original claim.
But by making a statement about the usage of the word homophobia, aren't you contradicting your own self-professed descriptivism? As a descriptivist, your role is to describe why people say "homophobia", not declare it inaccurate based on your own feelings. That's called "prescription".

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Woodsey said:
TheVioletBandit said:
Pedantic comment is pedantic. It's a clearly defined word that can mean fear of or hate of, needlessly 'correcting' it because you think it should be interpreted completely literally is a waste of time.

Stupid meme is stupid. In regards to the "pedantic" parroting that's now happening, are you forgetting you were the first one to post a definition? Also, "a waste of time?" who's time? You didn't have to reply to my statement in the first place, and as of now I have plenty of free time so wouldn't consider this a waste; annoying yes, but not a waste. Also, If your worried about wasting your time why are you on an internet forum?

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
TheVioletBandit said:

But by making a statement about the usage of the word homophobia, aren't you contradicting your own self-professed descriptivism? As a descriptivist, your role is to describe why people say "homophobia", not declare it inaccurate based on your own feelings. That's called "prescription".
Actually, a descriptivists role is..... never mind I wouldn't want to seem "pedantic". And prescription has nothing to do with feelings. fuck, did it again, sorry. Descriptivists have just as much interest in the workings of language and talking about said workings than prescriptivists. Telling a person what I thought the word really meant doesn't mean I am trying to force any rules on anyone, it simply means that I have an interest in language, how it works, and how it is used. Damn it, was that "pedantic"? I guess I can't help myself. Of course I mean that last part jokingly, as I don't believe I have presented myself in ostentatious fashion just because I commented on a word.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
rhizhim said:
been hit on. didnt give a fuck. he understood and left me alone.
maybe we should talk about how insane it is to be able to do the Gay panic defense.

The gay panic defense[1] is a legal defense against charges of assault or murder. A defendant using the gay panic defense claims that he or she acted in a state of violent temporary insanity because of a little-known psychiatric condition called homosexual panic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

i totally killed that cat because....uhm.... cat panic defense mechanism.
Oh wow, thats hilarious. "Oh no, a gay person is hitting on me! I CANT HANDLE THIS SHIT!!! WHAT THE FUCK OH MY GOD NOOOOO" *Pulls out gun*
Well actually it would make me feel slightly uncomfortable, luckily it only happened once and i was pretty drunk so I didn't care at the moment. And the reason for that is simply because i always get uncomfortable when someone who i wouldn't do in a million years (includes chicks) tries anything. And that's because i always want to avoid offending (in this case by rejecting them) anyone and i have that tendency not to be very tactful.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheVioletBandit said:
Woodsey said:
TheVioletBandit said:

Stupid meme is stupid. In regards to the "pedantic" parroting that's now happening, are you forgetting you were the first one to post a definition? Also, "a waste of time?" who's time? You didn't have to reply to my statement in the first place, and as of now I have plenty of free time so wouldn't consider this a waste; annoying yes, but not a waste. Also, If your worried about wasting your time why are you on an internet forum?
I posted a definition because you were telling someone they'd used a word wrong, which they hadn't. And yes, well done, I didn't mean "a waste of time" in a completely literal sense.

You were wrong, you have been told by several people you were wrong, and you clearly know you were wrong because now you're clutching at the "I'm going to interpret everything written completely literally" line of defence. Which, funnily enough, is why we're having the conversation in the first place.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
ive had a few guys saying im not allowed to hit on them. more often than not though i wouldnt even think about hitting on them because well... they're ugly and just not nice guys so i wouldnt

ive had people, both men and women who im not attracted to, hit on me and i was always flattered by it. why do people get so offended?