How do my fellow escapists feel about guns? (The real kind)

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
VulakAerr said:
I'm shocked and horrified and what I'm reading. The only person who seems to be making a clear point is Azrael The Cat. Guns are designed to kill. Guns are incredibly effective at this job. Do you really want tools designed to kill freely available on your country's streets? I don't.

Shootings don't occur at an NRA meeting or gun club because why would somebody turn on their fellow gun-nut? If nobody has guns, it's a fuckload safer than if everybody does. All it takes is one jittery nutjob...

I thought these forums were meant to be vaguely intelligent... fuck if you guys haven't proved it otherwise. Holy shit...
You want to know who the real idiots are? Those guys Americans call the Founding Fathers, who started out by gathering an armed civilian militia to defeat an oppressive government, for adding to our Constitution that we have a right to own and possess guns.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
The ones in games are fine, I'm not much of a fan of the realistic ones, I prefer the fantasy ones like the Lancer or the Plasma Rifle. When it comes to real life, there's too much to live up to if you happened to kill someone with it, those people had a family and friends who will miss them. It doesn't matter how bad of a person they are, changing people is far better than killing them.

But that's just me.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Well I've always said on these forums that I don't mind Americans carrying guns when they are going camping or generally hiking through a forest. America isn't Briton (no shit) and from what I've heard, America still has plenty of predators wondering around in the local forests. Bears, Wolves and such. So it would be wise to go into a forest armed.

Though I've only made my way as far as Florida so I could be wrong.

So I don't mind firearms being carried in a forest and if you run into those plantations then it may be wise to defend your self. However it may be a wiser choice to get the hell out of there. In that situation, I'd just keep running. I wouldn't be stopping to open fire. However if you have to, you have to.
Well the dangerous animal thing is mostly true in the south and northwest. Most of us only have black bears and coyote-wolf hybrids which will occasionally kill people. Florida is especially nasty because exotic wildlife flourish there. The closest thing we have to their problem are snake heads. Air breathing fish that are mean as shit.

Maybe I should elaborate on the plantations. The people who make them are paranoid about people finding them. They are usually booty-trapped out the ass. You might be able to sneak out, but you're in the woods and will probably make noise. Running out will most likely get you caught in a trap. We are usually instructed to hide and maybe fight if we can/have to.

Sovvolf said:
I have nothing against having a gun for home defence. However these situations are mostly isolated. Also, I don't have anything against people defending there homes when situations such as this happen... However I what I am against or those nutters that have watched one too many action movies. Those that go out of there house and start shooting when such situation arises.
I can agree with this, but I'm thinking most gun owners aren't that crazy. Mostly because if the police show up they can shoot you too, if you kill someone than you're a criminal, and many times your guns can't match up to what the criminals have. People who are that crazy, well, we need better laws so they don't get firearms.

Also, it's true these situations are isolated but again criminals create a pattern to their crimes and it just takes one less likely reaction to screw it up. Most Americans wouldn't fight these people. Hell, most of us don't have guns in our houses. The few that do screw up the natural flow of the crime.

Sovvolf said:
However, I think its much safer to rely on the police than you going out and trying to shoot up the bad guys. The police are trained for this and your not.
Can't argue with this. Vigilantism is a fast track to an early grave.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Capslockbroken said:
You're making a lot of common anti-gun arguments, and have demonstrated a common paradox in the reasoning. You claim that a gun's only purpose is killing, the destruction of life, etc., but you also claim that police should have them. Are the police supposed to be professional murderers? Are we employing government death squads to slaughter all the undesirables?
Obviously, I know that isn't what you are saying. What you are saying, whether you meant to or not, is that *you know* that guns have a purpose other than killing. You understand very well that the police need them to defend themselves from those who wish to do them harm. You know that they perform this function, most of the time, without ever leaving their holster, let alone being used to kill a person. You know that the threat of deadly force can actually prevent violence, simply by it's presence.
So why don't you think it works the same way with responsible, law abiding gun owners?
In a society protected by policemen, who gain respect for their authority, but partly the fact that they are armed, people should not need to carry weapons.

And I realize I did not make my point clear enough: Gun ownership should be limited, not banned. Of course a responsible, law abiding citizen should have the right to carry a gun. But in a well run society, he should have no need to.

Look, what Im saying is that the police (atleast here in Finland) go through very thorough psychological and physical training, and only people suitable for the force are accepted to the academy or for service. That way it is ensured that the police are well trained and well accustomed to their sidearm, and that no future police officer is somehow unable to function in dangerous situations. Notice that the police training takes several years. Eventually, the graduates are highly trained professionals. Anyone not suitable has at some point been deemed as such, and thus expelled from the academy. Naturally, a "bad cop" might get through once in a while, but these cases are extremely rare,(again, these are finnish statistics.) and are usually noticed and taken care of after a while.

" You know that they perform this function, most of the time, without ever leaving their holster, let alone being used to kill a person. You know that the threat of deadly force can actually prevent violence, simply by it's presence."

Yes, of course. They are *trained* for this.

Now a civilian person might suddenly get the urge or somehow start to feel the need to carry a gun. Something might happen near his home that makes him want to get a gun, just to feel safe. But compare the weapon training a policeman goes through with the procedures of getting a gun license. Not nearly as much. They dont even recieve training. They are (again, these are finnish gun laws) analyzed, have their background checked, and then they have to wait a certain period of time. And even that is just not enough.

Then, they can purchase a handgun, rifle or a shotgun, depending on their license. These are people who have no experiece with firearms. They just see them as a means of "defending themselves". People like these are unfit for gun use. They are poor marksmen. They aren't used to guns. Their maintenance of them is in general poor. And most people are very afraid to fire a gun. Eventually, their gun might end up hurting them or their family. This just because of how unused they are to firearms, and because they do not know how to treat or handle them.

Now, this is the majority of people who ask for gun licenses in the world. People who have never, or once or twice, fired a gun.

Then there's people who are used to guns, who respect them and treat them well. People who know how to handle conflicts. People like this should be allowed to handle guns, if they wish to. But the problem is just determining if someone really is one. If these are " responsible, law abiding gun owners", then yes, they should be allowed to carry a gun.

This is what limited gun ownership should mean. Making sure only the people who really, really know what they're doing should be able to own firearms. Course, I do not know how to improve the procedure of finding out who is and who isn't suitable. But I think that very restricted gun ownership is the best possible solution, as of now.

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
I'm a gun owner as well and believe in collecting, hunting, and sportsmanship. Also the "just in case" scenario(s) where I might need them for personal defense/ home defense. Better to have firearms and not need them, then need firearms and not have them.

One that note, I don't like the idea of loose or strict gun control laws; I'm and moderate in that regard. I do believe that if firearms are banned then only criminals will have them. Remember that laws only work on the lawful, not the outlaws.

Colt did make all men equal.

I'd also like to state that even though guns are weapons almost anything can be used as such (i.e. baseball bat or pocket knife). On this, guns are not inherently evil nor are the cause of crime or strife; just a tool and nothing more. Like a tool, they only function if someone uses them and if someone really wants to kill another they will find a way. Gun or no gun.

Edit: Further reading on this thread I would just like to state that the Police are only around to uphold the law; protecting you (the citizen/civilian) is somewhat secondary. And before I get jumped I know many people in law enforcement and they say the same thing. While they can protect you the Police are not your bodyguards. I've even had lawyers say the same.

I would elaborate further but I'd like to keep the bullseye on my back somewhat small for now.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Capslockbroken said:
PureChaos said:
whenever guns are mentioned i always think 'i prefer swords' and i do
I tend to prefer swords as well, but how much fun they are isn't really the issue. The People Who Know What's Best don't care whether it's guns, swords, nunchaku, or a woodcarving tool. Their philosophy is: everything that's pointy, loud, looks vaguely dangerous or we just don't understand is bad for the subjects. Prison is healthy though.
Hold on, hold on.

Who are "The People Who Know What's Best"? And if you think they're wrong, then what does that make you? What would you call yourself, if you're willing to call them that? Is it something they wouldn't call themselves?

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
Ampersand said:
TheFPSisDead said:
Ampersand said:
The short answer is I think they're shit, and I have very little to no respect for anyone who would use one.

That being said, i assume as far as games are concerned you stay out of the shooter genre? just wondering...
Not all the time, I don't like many shooters, but I like halo a lot and some others.
I still find the methods of characters who use guns questionable(I mean in my opinion the use of fire-power loses you some serious bad ass points) but I don't really mind playing as them, it is just fiction after all, no one really gets hurt so there's no problem. That being said I'd still prefer to play as a swordsman = )

Respect :). I agree. Who is more badass? Master Chief or Kratos?

Thats a no brainer.

Dragonsummoner

Jan 13, 2011
Difficult question. On the one hand I fully believe in self defence, but on the other hand killing an attacker makes it difficult to interogate them (and if I was attacked I would certainly want to find out why). As such I would prefer non-lethal alternatives, such as tazers or tranquilsers, maybee some sonic weaponry. About owning guns for their artistic/technical value, I wholeheartedly agree. The inginuity of mankind when developing tools of war is fascinating. And the quality of manufacture of some weapons, from the engraving to the precise mechanics, is a work of art. As a sidenote I live in the UK and own no weapons.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
bartholen said:
Weapons of war which americans can't just take maturely enough. It's the Wild West combined with WW2 and Vietnam I guess.

And I don't understand those defending them by referring to hunting. I thought hunting was about, you know, going into the wild to get your food the old-fashioned way (ie. getting the kill and processing it yourself, not chucking spears at galloping deers).
Hunting's not about giving the animal a fighting chance, it's about killing for food. Hunters are not Klingons.

What in particular about hunting with guns do you feel is unjustified?
Sorry if I didn't bring my point across clearly. I mean that I don't understand people who stash rifles, handguns and even automatic weapons and then bring hunting across as a major point to have lots of guns.

Capslockbroken

Oct 25, 2010
DonMartin said:
Capslockbroken said:
PureChaos said:
whenever guns are mentioned i always think 'i prefer swords' and i do
I tend to prefer swords as well, but how much fun they are isn't really the issue. The People Who Know What's Best don't care whether it's guns, swords, nunchaku, or a woodcarving tool. Their philosophy is: everything that's pointy, loud, looks vaguely dangerous or we just don't understand is bad for the subjects. Prison is healthy though.
Hold on, hold on.

Who are "The People Who Know What's Best"? And if you think they're wrong, then what does that make you? What would you call yourself, if you're willing to call them that? Is it something they wouldn't call themselves?
Fair enough question.

The People Who Know What's Best are those who attempt to *impose* their opinions on others by force.

Someone who says "I don't think you should eat sugar or drink alcohol." is not one of those people. Someone who lobbies to get those things prohibited definitely *is* one of those people.

I wasn't referring to anyone on this thread, in case you were wondering.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
DonMartin said:
Guns are for hunting and for the police. I was brought up in a home where I got acquainted with guns at an early age. I shot skeet before I could ride a bike. I fired handguns and revolvers when I was about 6-7. Im the typical child who got used to guns at a young age, and I can tell from reading some other posts here that there are others like me on this thread. Guns are to me, from an artistic standpoint, just like instruments. I can appreciate the beauty in a Winchester 1894 as much as a Fender Jazz '64.

However, we should not forget firearms are made for one purpose, and that is the destruction of life. Whether or not that life is a pidgeon, an elk or a human, guns are tools to kill other lifeforms with. I don't think guns are awesome. I don't think they are cool. They are guns. They are dangerous weapons. They should be treated with respect. They are nothing to collect or show off.

The only reason I own a gun is hunting. Hunting for food, mind you, and I think it is vital that every part of the pray is consumed somehow. Be that meat, hide or antlers.

So just to be clear, I hate what so many hunters have become, or what hunting has become lately. Killing animals for fun is just ridiculous. I can see the appeal in hunting elephants, kudus or wildebeests, but I wouldnt do it myself.

I believe gun control is necessary. I do not think that people in general need anything other than a rifle or/and a shotgun, and that's only if they hunt or compete in skeet shooting or the like. Handguns might be fun for target shooting, but the ownership of handguns should be limited for people who don't actually compete in shooting competitions. (mind you, they usually just own a number of '22s, at the most.) Automatic weapons should not be allowed to anyone but the police and the army.

Also, the gun craze that a bunch of people here seem to display just seems immature to me. "Guns are awesome." What? Why? They are guns. Designed to kill. There's nothing awesome about death.
You hit the nail on the head with the hunting comments. I cannot stand to see someone killing an animal just for trophies sake. Every single deer I have ever killed I harvested ever single ounce of usuable meat from them, and ate it. Its delicious, by the way! I can remember one hunting season where I lived almost completely off of deer meat in one form or another... I mean, I ate other things, but deer meat comprised of about 60% of the meals I consumed that season.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I like the fact that in US you have the right to defend yourself by all means necessary, guns included. Here, in Poland, you can go to jail if some thugs will try to mug you, and they end up being hospitalized with heavy injuries. Also, this is real story that happened here.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Nocturnal Gentleman said:
TheMariner said:
Guns aren't the root of the problem anyway. If we somehow found a way to take guns away from everybody, both the lawful and unlawful, we'd see a rise in killings from cruder projectiles or explosives. And if somehow you manage to remove ALL weapons from the entire world, we'd start beating the crap out of each other with our fists, rocks, wooden planks, etc.
This is a little unrelated, but this comment reminds me of a robbery that happened a few weeks ago. The guy didn't have access to a gun, so instead he beat the store owner with a giant walking stick and stole the money.
Wait a second, are you talking about that video where it looked like he was holding a small tree?? And the owner was trying to hold him off with a hammer? If so I saw that video.

Capslockbroken

Oct 25, 2010
Riff Moonraker said:
DonMartin said:
Guns are for hunting and for the police. I was brought up in a home where I got acquainted with guns at an early age. I shot skeet before I could ride a bike. I fired handguns and revolvers when I was about 6-7. Im the typical child who got used to guns at a young age, and I can tell from reading some other posts here that there are others like me on this thread. Guns are to me, from an artistic standpoint, just like instruments. I can appreciate the beauty in a Winchester 1894 as much as a Fender Jazz '64.

However, we should not forget firearms are made for one purpose, and that is the destruction of life. Whether or not that life is a pidgeon, an elk or a human, guns are tools to kill other lifeforms with. I don't think guns are awesome. I don't think they are cool. They are guns. They are dangerous weapons. They should be treated with respect. They are nothing to collect or show off.

The only reason I own a gun is hunting. Hunting for food, mind you, and I think it is vital that every part of the pray is consumed somehow. Be that meat, hide or antlers.

So just to be clear, I hate what so many hunters have become, or what hunting has become lately. Killing animals for fun is just ridiculous. I can see the appeal in hunting elephants, kudus or wildebeests, but I wouldnt do it myself.

I believe gun control is necessary. I do not think that people in general need anything other than a rifle or/and a shotgun, and that's only if they hunt or compete in skeet shooting or the like. Handguns might be fun for target shooting, but the ownership of handguns should be limited for people who don't actually compete in shooting competitions. (mind you, they usually just own a number of '22s, at the most.) Automatic weapons should not be allowed to anyone but the police and the army.

Also, the gun craze that a bunch of people here seem to display just seems immature to me. "Guns are awesome." What? Why? They are guns. Designed to kill. There's nothing awesome about death.
You hit the nail on the head with the hunting comments. I cannot stand to see someone killing an animal just for trophies sake. Every single deer I have ever killed I harvested ever single ounce of usuable meat from them, and ate it. Its delicious, by the way! I can remember one hunting season where I lived almost completely off of deer meat in one form or another... I mean, I ate other things, but deer meat comprised of about 60% of the meals I consumed that season.
I've spent time around quite a lot of hunters, and I have never seen or directly heard of anyone just wasting the meat. In fact, in my home state, it's actually a crime to fail to use the meat for human consumption(as it should be). I rather assumed that most or all states had similar laws, or at least a similar hunting culture. Hunters are justifiably quick to point out that they are the original conservationists. I'm honestly curious - do you know of any first hand stories of people doing that in the last several decades?

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
Koroviev said:
UltraDeth said:
I kind of wish I owned a gun, because I am not a fighter at all, and they'd come in handy for self-defense. Plus I live in the UK
Eh, it is highly unlikely that a firearm will deter a home invasion. You and your family are more likely to be harmed by owning a firearm than by not having one at all.
I would carry a gun for severe emergencies, like in a riot and there's looters outside