How do you coup with pain?

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
I have moderate-to-occasionally-severe chronic pain and it's endless, unless they cure what I have I will have this for the rest of my life. Meds that abate the symptoms for other people (lyrica, primarily) don't work for me.

So yeah, I take a lot of painkillers. I also stretch, exercise, use ice and heat, use topical analgesics like tiger balm (no good for a broken leg but great for muscle spasms). When it's really bad, I play FPS games to distract myself. And like you, I get very sarcastic. And ragey/ranty. I'm probably not pleasant when I'm flaring, but if you're not my target I'm told I'm rather entertaining. :)

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Physical Pain: I either try to ignore it, or take some painkillers. If neither works, I just groan.

Emotional Pain: I just wait until I'm alone if I need to cry. If I don't I go over what's making me sad or hurt in my head.

jakeblues1295

Jun 6, 2011
With me if I don't know the pain is coming my mind can almost completely block it out, like when I was 8 I jumped in a pool backwards and hit my jaw on the concrete edge spliting and cracking it, but I didn't realize it until one of my friends told me. But if I know the pain is coming like with shots there is nothing I can do.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
I constantly get kidney stones. Hydromorphone is my cure, but that's unavailable. Does alcohol count? I suppose not.

Driving my motorcycle definitely helps. Anything that gets my adrenaline going usually helps with pain, really takes your mind off it. Physical activity too, hit the gym if you're not too crippled.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
If it isn't real bad pain, like some asshole pinching me, I take comfort in the fact that it is doing no real damage to me. After all, pain is a way to let the body know that damage is being done, so if damage is not being done, why take any notice of the pain?
If it's real bad pain, think about video games. Or if it's bad enough, swear and squirm until it's gone.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I deal with pain the old fashioned way, with grit, determination and under-my-breath cursing! I purposefully look at my injured body part and focus on the pain with the determination that I'll fight it!

Works great for stubbed toes. For anything worse just panadol! If Panadol is unavailable I recommend cursing above your breath. If that doesn't work, loud cursing should be attempted. If THAT doesn't work, just scream. It won't take away the pain, but it WILL give you something to do. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we all want? Or is it just me? If it's just me then I'll go sit in a corner and think about what I wrote.

But seriously, do try screaming. Or raging against the universe. It often works for me! Build up your hatred till all you can feel is HATE! Hate is known to devour pain.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Emotional pain: suppress it and wait for an emotional outburst later.
Physical: I convert the pain to swearing.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
I just swear. But pain doesn't really bother me, like cuts and bruises, but it does when I do small stuff like hitting my toe on the couch or knocking my head on a table, that shit hurts.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
I will continue as normal, unless the pain is too much too handle, which then will ''cripple'', or slow me much down, for further action untill the pain is gone. Ever smashed you little toe into something? Well, then you know the pain and you'll be suprised if you ever see me smash my toe in that matter, as you'll see me running around.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
If it's really too much emotionially I play games till I forget about it. It comes back, but atleast im given some respite.

Physical pain on the other hand im relativley familiar with from my childhood (Not abused, just accident-prone and too curious for my own good) so it doesn't bother me terribly, it usually just pisses me off. Ofcoures that depends on the severity of the cause of said pain. If my guts are hanging out im not exactly gonna go "I AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED!".

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
i ignore the headache, unless it gets to big then i most of the time need to take my migraine pills.
other pain i just get a little grumpy and walk it of if i can walk.

CaptainREBell

Feb 11, 2009
I happen to hold my breath.
Probably not the best idea, but I have a super awesome body that doesn't break, so the worst pains I've had to deal with have been self-inflicted! Tattoos and piercings and plucking and the like >_<

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Hmmm... about a month ago, I sprained my ankle real bad (curiously enough, it still hurts if I try to run/jump), and it went something like this:

"GRAARRHHHHHHHFFFFUUUUUUCKCKKKAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHH I'm okay, really... AAAAAAWWWWFUUUUUUCCCKKKKKK Yeah, I don't need help, just gonna go and sit down a little... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKKK Yup, doesn't even hurt a bit". And then it really didn't hurt. Making noises like a rabid animal apparently helps with the pain.

And wow. I just had a Déja Vu so epic, it might as well have been a flashback.

Mercurio128

Jan 28, 2010
I used the same method as you actually. I dislocated my kneecap at work last week and spent the next 20 minutes in a huge amount of pain waiting for the ambulance to arrive, which I survived by making stupid wise-ass comments to all the questions I was being asked. e.g.
-Are you OK?
-Why yes, I'm fine, bit of a cold. How are you? Do anything fun over the weekend? *through gritted teeth*

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The worst pain I've ever experienced was in my kidneys I screamed in pain for 4 hours while the pain kept getting worse and worse. What relieved me was walking. Then I called an ambulance, walked downstairs to meet the ambulance drivers and 30 minutes later I was drugged... so I guess not at all?
Other pains than that intense pain I felt there I just ignore. I walked a few days on a strained ankle (I twisted my leg while running to reach the bus and resumed running after my leg was swollen and blue) turned out walking helped me then too.