How do you make friends?

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
Same boat as you OP (and apparently lots more Escapists). I tried just being friends with people in the flats next to me and they just bored me to death no matter how hard I tried. I'd recommend joining a club or group mainly because it's what I'm thinking of doing. I really want to find some nice people to play D&D with.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
I really don't know how to make friends. I have one really good friend I have had since I was 13 and that's pretty much it, besides some acquaintances I really don't consider friends. Also, I am about to move to go to graduate school and I am worried about not being able to make any new friends. This will sound really angsty, but I don't think most people understand me.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm in the same situation.
I want friends but all mine just eventually leave me and stop giving a fuck.
The last friend I hung out with tried to ask me out which made me feel uncomfortable so now I feel awkward if I spend some time alone with her.
Although I am having a mate round on Sunday, hoping that won't happen again xD

The only sort of friends I have right now are from work but I don't see them outside of it.
At least my internet friends don't leave me ;_;

I agree with others, find an activity or a club you're interested in. Or spend lots of time in comic book shops like me xD they usually want to befriend me then.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
I imagine that the problem is less about actually making friends, and more about finding a situation where talking to people you don't know isn't horribly awkward. At school you can talk to people in your class, at work you can talk to people there because you have a shared social experience to talk about, regardless of anything else.

A good way I've found is meetup groups, via the website meetup.com. There's all kinds of interest groups that meet up and have a good time. I haven't made any incredible friendships by doing so, but I have had a lot of fun. That or find a place that shares your interests, comic book store maybe? and see if they do events. Hell, you could even use this forum. Create a topic saying "CITYNAME escapists, let's meet up for a drink!" and see if you get any responses (note, if you do this, make sure its a public venue that people can find, and has numerous exits in case you need to flee the dreaded forum lurking serial killer. Just kidding... OR AM I?!)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
If meeting a new group of people, I join in on other people's conversations if they are discussing something I am interested in, and I try to join in on other people's fun.

If they don't want to be friends I probably look like an intruding asshole.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Rawne1980 said:
Walk up to someone.

Grab them by the ears, lick their cheek, shout "FRIEND" in their face then jump up and down and clap.

I did that once to my eldest daughter when I saw her in town with all her friends .... results were hilarious.
That is the single most disturbing thing I have read in this forum for quite some time XD

Christopher N said:
There are many ways, you just need to find something that works for you.

For me, kicking in a door and screaming "taste the storm of my loyalty" as loudly and as hammy as possible, then seeing who gets the joke and then talking with them. Though that mind not work for others. If you want to try this and it doesn't work, just tell them "Relax people, it's part of a social experiment. For science!" and then walk away calmly.

It probably is just a case of walking up to someone you like the look of, introducing yourself and beginning a conversation and see if you click. If not, then you politely thank them for their time, and head off to try with someone else.

Also, famous quote that may be applicable here:

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you" Dale Carnegie
That is a pretty damn cool quote, I gotta say.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
manic_depressive13 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
manic_depressive13 said:
You just go up to someone, introduce yourself and shake their hand. Then you say "Let's be friends. I know many activities that we can do together. If you would kindly accompany me to my humble abode, we can begin bonding." Then you take them home and have super fun happy times.
If someone came up to me and said that I'm not sure if I would go with them or decline and try to avoid them in the future o__O
The trick is not to stop "shaking their hand" until you have them safely subdued in your house.
Bahahaha. This thread is turning into a goldmine of lols.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have no idea. I have quite a few friends, but I have no idea how I got them. However I would tell you to join some kind of activity where you can meet people. Join a club, try sport learn to play an instrument, anything like that should be a step in the right direction.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Walk up to someone.

Grab them by the ears, lick their cheek, shout "FRIEND" in their face then jump up and down and clap.

I did that once to my eldest daughter when I saw her in town with all her friends .... results were hilarious.
You're a bit of a bastard, aren't you? xD

To OP: Do what he just did. Not *that*, I mean look at the comment. It's funny and memorable. If this were a real life social situation, he'd be in.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"Friends"? What are those? Are they like something you eat?

Ok all kidding aside, don't ask me. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Vault101 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
They're the people that get your stuff when you die. =O
.....I'm getting mine buried with me

and I have alot of stuff.. they'll have to build a tomb
A whole mausoleum that you can decorate yourself before you go. =D

Just be sure to prepare traps greetings for robbers 'friends' who come looking for collectibles D=<
yeah I'll have some elaborate puzzle to fend off intruders..and some "nathan drake" like person will come and mess up my tomb, and wont even bother to shut my casket (I was playing uncharted 3 today and this really annoyed me, if your going to mess up all that old stuff at least have the decency to shut the poor bastards coffin, since you did steal from him)
Well that's what video games, movies, and archaeologists teach us... tombs are there to be robbed ;D
In that train of thought, something in Skyrim always bothered me[footnote]stop the fucking presses, right?[/footnote]. You explore loads of tombs and find these urns. There's never ashes in a single damn one. Only money. Why is that?

The only logical explanation I can think of is that people in Skyrim have mastered alchemy, and people are like "when I die, I want to be money!"

"Sure, buddy. I'll put your remains in the g-string of that Altmer stripper, just like you wanted!"

It should be my project to gather as much vampiric ash as I can and fill every urn in Skyrim.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Rather inadvertently. I do not have many overall but the ones i have are exceptionally close, I am awkward and talk about of conversations off the cuff and think it is just what "normal" people do. People find this intensely disturbing/annoying or intriguing/comforting and the latter become my friends.

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
By inviting people I like over for drinks. You can not buy friends with money but you can buy them with liquor and good company, and i can by best friends with liquor good company and multiplayer games