How do you react to being hit on/checked out?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Being a dude, it either doesn't happen to me, or I don't know women enough to notice. The girlfriend claims to have found me attractive when we met, but I didn't notice a thing so I've no clue if it's a regular occurrence.

If I did, I'd probably be shy, but probably a little smug. However, not holding my appearance in the highest regard, if anyone says or does anything in appreciation of my girlfriend, I get jealous, angry or just shut down in silence. Although, like me, she claims not to notice anything.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
I think you're pretty, judging by the couple of photos I've seen!

Does this count as hitting on you?

Quick, react so you can answer the thread!

[sub] I'm straight unfortunately but I stand by my statement![/sub]
Aaaaaw, you're sweet! Thank you. However, if you'd see a picture taken lately - I think I posted one on the "short hair" thread recently actually - you might change your mind. And that picture is actually FLATTERING. Yeah. But thank you anyway, you made me smile <3

And no, that doesn't count as hitting on me. ;)

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I enjoy it. I've never acted on it, but I enjoy it.

It makes me feel good to know that women find me attractive enough to give me a second look.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Kirke22 said:
My response to anyone I don't know talking to me is to be polite, but wonder what the hell the bloke wants. I have never been flirted with, and I have convinced myself that nobody is interested in me. On top of that I have utter belief that romance is far too much trouble, so I had convinced myself that I wasn't interested in anyone.

That fell apart when I fell in love, and a ferocious battle has been raging for weeks between my social anxieties, feelings of love and conviction that it is not worth it. And people call me socially adjusted, what a joke.
In my relationship, neither of us noticed the other person's advances; you probably just don't notice. Oddly enough, it's very easy to spot when it's two other people. Anyways, point being, try and get those last two sentences out of your head.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Please allow me to share the last time I was hit on by a woman:

I was with my sister, and we were in a Hot Topic screwing around. I decided to buy something, so I went to the counter with my item. The cashier was female.

She was all like "Oh, that's cool that you like that", and such, and we made alittle small talk. Then I paid for my item and left.

After leaving, my sister tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You do realize she was hitting on you, right?".

*cue me blinking blankly* "Really?"

So... yeah, I'm pretty dense when it comes to that sort of thing. I likely wouldn't even notice unless they were being EXTREMELY obvious about it. But, should I somehow notice, I'd probably just get really shy.

I wouldn't act like that guy did, that's for sure. Even if I didn't find the girl particularly attractive, laughing it off like that is a serious dick move.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I never have been checked out to my knowledge. all the female friends I have had told me that when they first met me i was terrifying with my stupid height, broad shoulders and stupidly long hair that made me look like Sadako from the ring. but despite looks I'm actually a friendly giant. :D

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
if it happens, it generally coincides with my own hobby of checking out people, just to see how they react.

Can't say I'm particularly sensitive to people hitting on me though. If you want it to be understood you're flirting with me, then the safest bet might be a whack on the head with a warning sign.

Hands down the weirdest time somebody ever hit on me was when me and a friend were taking the train home, and shared a compartment with two girls. He started chatting with them, while I kind of just went stand-by mode and listened to their conversation - long day and all that.

15 minutes in, I suddenly get asked for my number. She had to ask twice - I only reacted when addressed as "yes, you, the quiet guy".

Unsurprisingly, she never called.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Uh, the instances I actually noticed are rare because I don't go to places where those situations might arise, probably can't tell when they happen and don't particularly care for any such situation to arise. The big three really.

I remember once I was approached in the underground on my way to work and asked for my mobile number. She appeared a tad bit insulted that I kinda laughed in her face... but at half past 6 in the bloody morning on a hot summer's day I cannot be held responsible, quite frankly she should've been glad to get any reaction out of me at all.
It's weird anyway, asking for someone's number out of the blue.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
The last time someone blatantly hit on me I was at a festival and completely out of my mind. This girl was quite cute (to my messed up brain anyway) and she kept coming out with stuff like "my tent is going to be really cold, I could use someone to warm it up". Not immediately, we were chatting for a while before that. But still. Subtlety is dead.

Under normal circumstances, I would have gladly said yes. Unfortunately, I was way in such a state that I probably would have fallen asleep the second I got into a tent. Plus I'd not had a shower in three days (festival!). Not only that, she was in almost as messed up a state as I was...

But yeah, usually if someone's obviously eyeing me up I'll go talk to them. Sadly, that doesn't seem to happen too much these days. All the hairless metro men are the ones that get attention in Cardiff :S Oh, to be back in college...

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Hahahahahaha.... yeah, nobody ever hit on/checked me out. I should probably be despressed about that, but years of lack of attention have dulled my self esteeem to the point of non-existence. Women are not interested in me. I have come to accept that fact.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Honestly?

I probably wouldn't notice. Don't really pick up on those things quickly.

If the other person happened to be direct enough for me to notice my reaction would most likely amount to an 'Ow, okay' before I went on with my day.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
GestaltEsper said:
Flaery said:
I don't want to, but denying it isn't healthy.

http://img.ihere.org/uploads/342518a9f7.jpg

I'm just going to have to learn to accept it.
...I don't get it.
Awww.... CRAP! Posted in the wrong forum. Whatever, I'mma going to leave it there because I'm a rebel like that. Peace out.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Having had this just happen to me recently, I can say with some certainty I freak out a little and start walking much faster.

Of course, that was a homeless bum.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Try to look cool, flick my awesome and sexy hair from my face only to have it fly right back and straight into my mouth.
After spitting it out I smile awkwardly and try my best to look like I totally planned that.

Seriously though.
Girls check out guys?

Ok, ok.
I don't generally care about it and continue with what I'm doing. If they're intrested and take the first step to talk I'd respond, but I've yet to come across such a ballsy girl yet.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I don't care. If you want to look, or say hi, go for it.

I get enough attention, but I never would make anyone feel bad for it. Its a terrible feeling on the other end so I wouldn't do that to someone.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
There's quite a difference depending on age there I think. I'm 31 and I'm usually pretty casual about it and try to respond in a similar manner, regardless of whether I find the girl attractive or not. I'm extremely careful to never make any girl feel bad about herself, that just makes me feel like a piece of shit.

Then there's the very aggressive kind of "hitting on" which violates your private space, to which by instinct I react very defensively, or the creepy kind. In normal situations though, I'm cool with it. If you're a girl and you want some advice though, try to keep your flirting to a level of "I might potentially be interested", maybe slightly more if the guy seems kinda dumb. If you overdo it, guys will usually lose interest and/or start wondering what kind of STD's you might have.

Stordarth

Oct 16, 2012
I don't get hit on really.

I'm not that desirable.

If anyone does do so, I tend to automatically assume they are taking the piss and react in a cynical fashion.

Quite how I am engaged to be married is a mystery I shall likely never unravel.