How do you say Melee?

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Because I played SSBM for so long, I say "me lee." I don't get freaked out if someone says "may lay" or "ma lay"

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
zer0kevin said:
ITS FRENCH: mêlée is the actual spelling. So the correct way to say it grammatically is may-lay
Im pretty sure French Mêlée is spelled "me (like MEmbrane)-li (like LImbo)".

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
"May Lay"

I'm not certain if that is correct, but that is the way I believe it is pronounced and when people pronounce it differently it makes me mad. On a similar topic, has anyone ever pronounced, "Turret" as "Turrent?" I have no idea where they get that pronunciation, but I hear it everywhere and every time they say it's the right way to pronounce it and some have said that their English teachers have even said that is the way to pronounce it, which is total bullshit. Then they try to say it's like "current," which I kindly remind them ACTUALLY HAS A FUCKING "N" IN IT!

Sorry for that rant.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Me-lee.
I'm aware that it's not the correct pronouncement, but every other way sounds wrong to me. I blame that Super Smash Melee game, that threw the word in my face without pronouncing it!

SageSays

Mar 17, 2011
A dictionary on the interweb suggests that it is pronounced mey.ley

Which is the easiest way to type it in a post without using a whole lot of special characters.

I'm not much scratch on phonetics but I'm fairly certain that makes it sound very much like May Lay, although it is a french word and the french have a wicked sense of humor when it suits them. The dictionary also suggested that the word could be related to 'medley', possibly because they are both borrowed wholesale from french and are only different by a slight movement of the tongue. I'd argue a whole letter can represent a world of difference, but I said I wasn't much scratch with phonetics. Or Etymology neither.

You, OP, asked how I say it. That would be me.lay. Only because I'm childish and it makes me giggle. I play some pen and paper rpgs, and they give you a surprising surplus of opportunity to utter the word mêlée and, in the heat of the moment, I occasionally hear myself shortening it to meh.lay.

That's what SageSays

TheMadPunter

Helium Voice
Nov 2, 2010
I pronounce it "may-lay", just as Pat Cashman did before me (announcer in Smash Bros.; also the voice of Bill Nye's cameraman).

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
drake577 said:
Wrong pronunciation is wrong.
No mercy for accents at the Escapist.
I can't understand Glaswegians. I'm unlikely to say 'no no no, it's "I'm going to cut your face", not "I'm ginnae cut yer feeece".. wait what?'

Language is organic. If enough people say it wrong, wrong becomes accepted and then right.

I tend to defer to 'close combat'.