How gaming will die and why it is our fault

Tryzon

Jul 19, 2008
I never get why people keep using Shadow of the Colossus as an example of a game that did not sell what it deserved. Okay it didn't, but it still did pretty well, especially considering the radical setup. Now Psychonauts, despite not being the epitome of everything platformer-shaped like folk say, is still a mighty fine title and should have sold a hundred times what it did.

I wonder who it was that bought Haze even though it was released a month after the really quite awful demo. I never pre-order anything and very rarely pay full price, but only ginormogantic RPGs with countless hours of lifespan like Fallout are worth £40 of one's increasingly precious paycheck. The idea of people repeating giving that much for the year's edition of FIFA is pad-snapping insanity.

I'm really angry now. I think I need to play some Sly 2. Good old Sly 2...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Tryzon said:
I never get why people keep using Shadow of the Colossus as an example of a game that did not sell what it deserved. Okay it didn't, but it still did pretty well, especially considering the radical setup. Now Psychonauts, despite not being the epitome of everything platformer-shaped like folk say, is still a mighty fine title and should have sold a hundred times what it did.

I wonder who it was that bought Haze even though it was released a month after the really quite awful demo. I never pre-order anything and very rarely pay full price, but only ginormogantic RPGs with countless hours of lifespan like Fallout are worth £40 of one's increasingly precious paycheck. The idea of people repeating giving that much for the year's edition of FIFA is pad-snapping insanity.

I'm really angry now. I think I need to play some Sly 2. Good old Sly 2...
Your basic problem is not that gaming is going to die. Your problem is that you worry too much about things that are out of your control like people who seem to be happy buying need for speed every year or people mentioning SotC on an obscure forum and not mentioning Psychonauts in the same breath. You then don't do things that are controllable like finding things that are worth supporting and paying full price for them.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
FEH!

Boy, have you even heard of Atari? They "killed" gaming in the early 80s, but it rebuilt, and look at it now.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
After reading that, I must say that you don't seem to mention the Wii as a factor in the death of gaming. And it is killing it, with its constant stream of shovelware.
While I agree that the wii is getting a lot of shovelware piled against its doorstep, the ones that truly stand out are just incredibly awesome to play. No More Heroes, Mad World, and even Super Mario Galaxy to some extent are all incredibly fun, intelligent, and different games than one would expect. And it's not really that bad of a crap-to-gold ratio, it's simply that there's so much experimentation going on with the system that few things can BE good, though some are actually trying in the best ways possible.

I would argue that the Wii is the biggest experiment of the generation, a step in the right direction.
The Wii is gimmicky, yes, and there some times when nothing can overcome this fault (gingerbread ninja? just... why?) and yet it still has more ways to be good, more options to try something new than either Sony or Microsoft have.

Aug 13, 2008
ninjablu said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
After reading that, I must say that you don't seem to mention the Wii as a factor in the death of gaming. And it is killing it, with its constant stream of shovelware.
While I agree that the wii is getting a lot of shovelware piled against its doorstep, the ones that truly stand out are just incredibly awesome to play. No More Heroes, Mad World, and even Super Mario Galaxy to some extent are all incredibly fun, intelligent, and different games than one would expect. And it's not really that bad of a crap-to-gold ratio, it's simply that there's so much experimentation going on with the system that few things can BE good, though some are actually trying in the best ways possible.

I would argue that the Wii is the biggest experiment of the generation, a step in the right direction.
The Wii is gimmicky, yes, and there some times when nothing can overcome this fault (gingerbread ninja? just... why?) and yet it still has more ways to be good, more options to try something new than either Sony or Microsoft have.
yay, a wii defender!
but nintendo is determined to kill standard gaming it seems
i "cant wait" for wii 2: more waggle, less buttons and less decent 3rd party support
i thank johosepha for people like sega in this crisis

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
how gaming will die is as follows,

fan boys buy final fantasy licence, fan service will reach untold hight, rule 34 infinite feedback loop is created and destroys the universe.

OldSchoolFool

Mar 27, 2009
harhol said:
Originality isn't dying, it's just that the mainstream is getting worse.

5-10 years ago you could pick up a game with a few good ratings and be satisfied. Nowadays it's like a minefield. There are so many games with "favourable reviews" which are absolute garbage, and I mean garbage. Oblivion, 94% average rating? 60% would be fair. I can see how someone might like (or even love) the game but there's also a hell of a lot wrong with it. That much is undeniable.

And then there's the increased influence of pre-release hype & publisher money. GTAIV...98% average rating...are you fucking kidding me? 86 people reviewed the game and not one thought it deserved less than 8/10? Just not possible I'm afraid.
I think your getting it wrong here.

You make a good point but did you ever stop to think all the people who run the gaming magazines and the gaming award shows benefit when a game does well?

If GTA4 is on the cover of a magazine that magazine sells. If more people buy GTA4 more people will own consoles and then buy the magazines associated with that console.

If a whole bunch of games get rave reviews it makes the competition intense when it comes to games award shows so more people watch it.

The gaming community is very tightly integrated every gaming magazine and website advertises with game developers which means they have to give them favourable reviews. Remember the Gamespot-Eidos incident?

Gaming is getting worse on a daily basis but the brain washed masses are trying to get away from the good days of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7 and Baldurs Gate 2. Their trying to water down games so its a "one size fits all" glove and shorten them so they can improve the budget towards graphics.

If you go back in gaming about ten years ago developers were a lot smaller and usually aimed at niches of the market so when a game got a following it was usually in the hundreds of thousands.

As developers grow though they cant feed those niches anymore since they have higher operating costs so they must water down games so as many people as possible purchase those games.

Of course not many people were there a couple of decades ago so they have no idea what their missing so it goes unheard of generally.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
people will always find ways to make art more interesting.

think about music... there's only twelve notes.

think about movies... there's only a certain amount of stories you can tell in so many ways.

but we manage as creative beings every so often to come up with genius ways of making the same kinda things frsh and fun

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
I agree with you, especially with the 'people are stupid' part.

"omg look at the shiny gfx MUST BUY DIZ GAME NOW hurr hurr xD"

Logizomechanophobia

Feb 23, 2009
Well, a fairly long text about the lack of originality of gaming, haven't seen that before (*sarcasm).

[begin wall of text]
Seriously though. I can relate to your gripe. It truly seems that all things new and exciting in gaming has been solely sucked dry. It's just that the game industry is becoming much like the film industry. Nowadays games are increadibly expensive to make. It's no longer the games lovers and gamers that make or commission games but the CEOs and owners of the companies. Games have become investments and it is certain that they wil always take an established franchise, concept, series, etc. over an original idea. Why? Because the risk of (financial) failure will always be greater with something new.

What we will see and are already seeing is a diversification of the market. It will be split between innovative, probably small independant games, and big (lackluster) titles. Once in a while an innovative game will become popular and then everybody will rush to copy it or a new game in the series will be announced and what was once innovative will become the standard. That's just development for you.

On a different note: why is everybody bashing the wii and casual games? Sure they might not appeal to the hardcore and more informed crowd, but c'mon. Gaming can't just be relegated to the target groups of old (being male and 12-30). Gaming has to spread and find different target groups. What we are witnessing is great, because more people that would never have picked up a game are now slowly being introduced to a sub-culture they would never have gone near otherwise. If you want true innovation, just look at the wii. It might not be innovation that you like, but it's innovation nonetheless.

[wall of text end]

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I think there is also the possibility of thing getting better. Imagine this: Our consoles and TV sets have reached the limit of what can be drawn on the screen. Even if consoles supported a higher resolution, HDTVs wouldn't be able to show it. Sure, the next console generation may be able to show more shadows, hogher viewing range and so on, but you are already able to see the limits. Maybe, after such graphic wonders like GTA 4, Gears of War 2 and the God of War games, the gaming industry will be forced to find new selling points for their products.

The Wii may have only five playworthy games, but the main reason the Wii and the DS are so apprechiated is because they opened new possibilities to actually play games. Innovation (or better: Intelligence) needs to come back and I think that once the graphical limit is reached, gaming will either die or show us a new direction how to experience it.

Unfortunately 90% of gamers tend to think that awesome graphics make an awesome game. Wrong!

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Tryzon said:
the only significant positive aspects that our current consoles have brought the community is far superior online multiplayer and download services, especially considering how the PS2 was never a very capable internet box.
Pretty significant developments, if you ask me.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm glad someone said it before I did, now I don't have to be the one to get flamed.
Bring it on, people! I'm a Dark Elf, so I've got 75% Fire Resistance! And I've also got a 25% Resist Fire ring to make me Fireproof. And the Ancestor Guardian will take a few hits for me. I'm not saying the Wii doesn't have good games, just that all this casual crap is not good for the gamers.
There is another side you guys don't seem to care about when it comes to the Wii and the casual crowd. Wii games and thier shovelware are cheap and easy to make. So they make money off of them. Sure it may not be GOW or Halo money but money is money. And since I highly doubt they are taking that money and hiding it in thier mattresses they are probably using those profits to fund thier bigger projects.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
the antithesis said:
There are probably lots of reasons why the crash happened. Consumer leeriness may be one of them. But I'm not so sure if it's as big a factor as most think. I mean, look at the Atari's launch titles:

* Air-Sea Battle
* Basic Math
* Blackjack
* Combat
* Indy 500
* Star Ship
* Street Racer
* Surround
* Video Olympics
Combat was one of the greatest games EVER.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Man that was a boring read, tip skip the unecessary foreshadowing save half a page and get to the point. On that note I dont see gaming dying out only started around the days of the sega megadrive myself but i know that gaming has always had downs like this. The previous console wars for example how many bad console did atari/sega release that offered nothing but hardware? Sure we are in a down but eventually itll reach a stability at which point we are comfortable with the graphics and the actual games become the issue yet again. Secondly it's the middle of an economic crisis alot of small independant developers went/are going out of buisness we wont see new consoles or game companies for awhile until this economic mess is sorted out.

thisaccountisdead

Mar 29, 2009
Its the public for buying the #*&$ games and not the good ones
I respect casual gamers but the gamming inderstry is making money out of this
They can release anything and someones going to buy it because of the pritty graphics not gameplay
this could kill the hardcore gamming in future
i also blame EA as well. :D