How important is High-Definition to you?

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
It's not very important to me at all. Up until 2 years ago I never owned anything HD, and I couldn't care less if it is or not. Right now I'm typing on a standard-definition monitor, while my brother is playing Gears on an HD monitor.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I buy all my films in Blu-ray now as it annoys me when I watch a film and can see the poorer quality.
Obviously I have to make do with my 200odd DVDs I have already as I am really not replacing them all with Blu-ray versions!

Jim Tungsten

May 9, 2011
not even slightly i play my Xbox 360 on a regular definition TV ind I'm fine with it. I have played on a hdtv before and it does look allot nicer but its not worth the $1400 investment.

weker

May 27, 2009
I watch all most all my anime in full screen you decide what it means :p
HD its very nice Blueray waste of money in my books as long as you exclude the bonus features.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
w9496 said:
It's not very important to me at all. Up until 2 years ago I never owned anything HD, and I couldn't care less if it is or not. Right now I'm typing on a standard-definition monitor, while my brother is playing Gears on an HD monitor.
Sorry to be picky, but what resolution is your monitor? If its 1024×768 or more, its HD, even if its a CRT monitor. PCs, HD Gaming since 1994!

While I say its not worth upgrading just for the sake of it, I do like HD and buy most new films now on Blu-ray as long as they are a DVD double pack. However, its not a dealbreaker and can easily watch/play something in SD.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I would say unimportant unless you're watching anime, since the art is usually as important as the plot but as long as it isn't lagging or going all blocky on you you're ok.

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
I buy Blu-ray because it has less chance of skipping from scratches but i dont realy care about the diff of dvd to blu-ray

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Plinglebob said:
w9496 said:
Sorry to be picky, but what resolution is your monitor? If its 1024×768 or more, its HD, even if its a CRT monitor. PCs, HD Gaming since 1994!

While I say its not worth upgrading just for the sake of it, I do like HD and buy most new films now on Blu-ray as long as they are a DVD double pack. However, its not a dealbreaker and can easily watch/play something in SD.
I'm not sure exactly, but it's lower than that.

HD is nice, but it sucks when every single video on most websites has to be played in ass-kicking HD.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Rawne1980 said:
As long as I can see whats going on I care very little.
What he said, because I want to get a proportionate amount (time and actual) of entertainment when I invest however much money in it. HD just doesn't add a sufficient amount to the experience. It's the sound that does it (for me at least).

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
When I'm playing on my 360 it's very noticeable when I play at anything less than 720p. With HDMI, my 360 goes all the way up to 1080p (and yes, I know it's not native).

I remember playing Dead Rising on standard def - the text was fucking impossible to read. Great game design, devs.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Pretty important to me personally. Granted I grew up in the days of Rabbit ear antenne and watching "scrambled" premium channels later, So I have lived without it and if push came to shove I could do it again.

However, it certainly has an impact on gaming. For example, I am currently forcing myself to finish off the Xenosaga. In order to do so I have a PS2 connected to an RF converted and then to an analog tuner card. The game is ... playable, but much like it had on any standard definition tv, it has the problem of being entirely too fucking bright (why is that? If you can see a scene fade out and the image looks fine halfway through the fade why the fuck force the signal output that fucking bright?) and entirely too loud to the point that everything sounds like a mcdonalds drive through nestled deep in the heart of the ghetto (yeah are the speaker boxes for fast food places really still a problem in this day and age?)

Anyway, running the signal via analog or SDTV ruins the sound and audio and because of that it has made it such a grating chore for a game that has always sort of been a grating chore. However on the instances I get to run it through a HDTV both the image quality and sound are perfectly fine.

As for pure HD graphics I find it preferable. My vision is screwy and I can detect insane levels of finite details and read practically microscopic text. So having that level of detail typically has a direct effect on the level of immersion in playing games that dont automatically break immersion. Which for me immersion is a major reason to bother playing a game in the first place.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
w9496 said:
Plinglebob said:
w9496 said:

HD is nice, but it sucks when every single video on most websites has to be played in ass-kicking HD.
How old is your monitor? most post 2000's models will be 1280x1024, my old 17" TFT LCD was.

The big CRTs back when where QXGA, or 2048x1536. The newer 30 inch LCD monitors are using WQXGA or 2560×1600

"HD" isn't new to PC's, or even the best they can do.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Nowadays it's quite important. Particularly for gaming. I like being able to see a lot of detail, and have a nice wide view. Playing a strategy game is FAR better in 1080p as you can clearly see your units, and read all the text.

EDIT: *Facepalm* I forgot about the most important difference. Using a computer. I used to temp at a shipping office, and I used a computer to do various work (mainly e-mails), but whoever had it before had it set to a low resolution. Windows didn't fit the page properly, and I had to scroll about all the time. Even using a word processor was more annoying, and that wasn't even all that low a resolution. Try running windows at 600x400, and it gets frustrating. there's no space to work.

w9496 said:
Plinglebob said:
w9496 said:

If you're running windows right click on your desktop, and check what the display setting is (it's in another tab of the same menu as wallpapers in XP, and is it's own menu option in 7).

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I used to have an SDTV, then I got HD a few years back.
A few weeks ago I went to a friends house to play games, he uses a SDTV. I can tell you right now it was terrible. It was so blurry to me, and I realised how better HD was, and I could never go back to standard definition.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my TV runs at 1080p. When I was testing out a capture card, I had to change the settings from 1080p, to 1080i. Believe me when I say I could notice a difference, I know it seems weird but yeah, full HD is very important to me.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
HD is a waste of time. It's looks great for about a week but then you get used to it and all it does in the long run is cost more money and mean that when you watch things on lower quality settings, they seem worse quality than they did when you only had that. It's a waste of time and money.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
HD isn't important to me. What I don't understand is how you can have a CARTOON in HD. You'd think the quality would be limited to the artist's drawing ability.