How important is High-Definition to you?

motyr

May 24, 2010
Of course, I, like many, would probably prefer an HD-exclusive world, but in some cases it is not feasible. Download caps, extra costs involved....for example - I love Blu Ray, but, given the option, I can settle for a regular ol' standard def DVD if there were benefits to using the DVD as opposed to the Blu Ray (ie. cheaper price). That being said, I have an HDTV and my computer monitor is 2560 x 1440, and I love them.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
I, cunningly, have never seen anything in HD (or Blu Ray, or anything), ever.

This is fantastic. It means I don't realize about the lost quality, and I can't see it. This means I have no interest in it, and am not bothered when watching something on a standard tv, at standard definition. Hooray! This has saved me many moneys.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Very unimportant. I don't have £400 worth of interest in it, to put it simply.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Susurrus said:
I, cunningly, have never seen anything in HD (or Blu Ray, or anything), ever.

This is fantastic. It means I don't realize about the lost quality, and I can't see it. This means I have no interest in it, and am not bothered when watching something on a standard tv, at standard definition. Hooray! This has saved me many moneys.
You've never been to the cinema the last couple of years?

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
It's okay I guess. Depending on what you're watching it's either a boon or a detriment.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
It's only important if I'm watching Doctor Who, Friendship is Magic, or anything else more important than eating. Anything else I can watch on 240p if the video will run like crap otherwise. Fortunately, vids usually run fine at 360p or even 480p.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I absolutely require it for watching the Patriots game(Football). However, I don't care a lot for movies and such. I actually find the high definition distracting sometimes. I have a very high resolution on my monitor though for games and such.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Very. If you can't tell the difference between SD and HD, something is obviously wrong with your eyesight. Take this from someone who has watched hundreds of hours of movies and TV in HD.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
not at all. i watch movies on a 17"screen. i play games with lowst graphic settings. the story, gameplay and good fun is whats most important for me.

Im not saying HD is bad, but putting HD over other things is very bad (yes im talking to you EA).
On the other hand, deadspace on low resolution looked awful.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
crotchdot said:
But seriously, for anyone that hasn't noticed the pattern from these few comments already: those that don't have HD don't seem to think it's important, those that do are never going back to SD. Me, I think HD is fantastic, the difference in quality is enormous.
Just so I don't repeat every other post before me, I think crotchdot sums it up rather nicely.

Like most things in life: Great but not strictly necessary. The definition of "necessary" however is a whole other topic for a whole other thread.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I really only started to get good at video games when I got an HD. Playing COD4 on an SDTV was just kind of a muddy mess, and it was hard to hit frickin' anything with iron sights because my targets were indistinct blobs that had a horrible tendency to blend with the sights. When I got an HD, I went from spamming in a general direction to aiming at specific location, and I got way better. I didn't expect that part to improve when I got it; hell, all I wanted was to be able to see what I was doing in both Mass Effects. I used to be forced to go with soldier on my first playthrough of either game because I couldn't see what the symbols were in the goddamn radial menu!

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
Very important, considering how bad regular definition games look on my HDTV.

I've had to set up my old TV again just so I could play my PS2 games.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
jasen said:
not even slightly i play my Xbox 360 on a regular definition TV ind I'm fine with it. I have played on a hdtv before and it does look allot nicer but its not worth the $1400 investment.
Where are you buying TV's? I have a 42 inch HD tv in my room and it cost $400.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
This is how important it is to me;

LoL

HD doesn't mean a damn thing, beyond visual clarity. I guess it's just because my imagination is a little broader than "ZOMG PRETTY COLORS ON SCREEN!"
If i can see what I'm watching/playing, that's good enough for me, sadly it looks as though everything is being forced into HD..