How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I can't remember where I was or what I was doing, but the anniversary hasn't really affected my day, barring the three minutes silence held by my family earlier. It's more of an "Oh, that really sucks" thing among people I know.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Glass Joe the Champ said:
lRookiel said:
Im English and since all americans who ive met have been absolute assholes to me for being English (so basically for no good reason at all) I look at the footage of ppl jumping out windows and giggle.
....dude....

That's like saying "There's an Asian guy in my class who's a dick, so I enjoy watching footage of Hiroshima. lol"

Have fun being racist and detatched, I guess.
Sorry, but America is not a race.

I Just wanted to point that out to you.
Well, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States>it technically is but either way, nationist isn't really a word, and I couldn't think of a more fitting term in 15 seconds. My bad.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
I could say that your second statement is only partially true. Something like the Seirra Leone would never happen in a country like the US today. What you are ignoring though is things like Vietnam and the war in Iraq. Both of these are not that much better and both were started by the US.
My point is not, nor has it ever been, about the relative severity of whatever conflict is taking place. Only that tragedies in third world countries are dismissed as unimportant by those in the first world. For a variety of reasons, but chief among them is the simple truth that most people in first world countries don't think of those in third as actual people. They're a number and maybe a face and not a whole lot else.

Jonabob87 said:
I have never thought either of those.

'Third-world' countries are in the state they are in because what we now count as 'First-world' countries took it upon themselves to run in to them, take everything of value (including the people) and kill anyone that showed the slightest resistance.

We continue to ruin these countries through the diamond and oil trades.

It's our fault.

Could it happen here? No. But only because we're making it happen somewhere else.
You're more or less correct in that regard. You're also completely missing the point.

Why they're third world is completely irrelevant. People in first world countries hear about countless deaths in random places all over the world, and they don't care. Why do they not care? Because the people dying are not real people to them. The dying are numbers and a face or two, nothing more. They dismiss the deaths as unimportant, because to them, the people don't matter.

Humans simply do not have the physical capacity to truly care with the same fervor about atrocities that don't affect them or those in their monkey-sphere, regardless of the difference in severity. It's rationalized in a lot of different ways, the most common being the dismissal of others as real people due to perceived differences. This ends up being expressed as a disdain or aloof dismissal of their suffering, nine times out of ten.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
I dunno about the country but i view it as USA blowing it out of proportion because it happened to them. Like if your friends parents split up, its a shame and you feel for them, but as soon as YOUR Parents break up the fuckin' world should cry over it.

Same thing really, its a tragedy but everyone for 10 years has been "9/11 this" and "9/11 that" i mean no one really cares that just a few months ago a phycho killed some kids in a camp, or that hurricane/tornado thing which caused destruction or even the earthquake in Japan which killed thousands and wrecked their way of living. No no no it's ALL about 9/11

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
The recent massacre in Norway hit me harder... It was kids my age, it was done without provocation of any kind. . . To send a message to, not the west. . . Not the christians, but a certain political group. Not by targeting an embassy. But by attacking a summer-camp.

Even the Scandinavian Nazi's (they exist). . Took distance to the shootings. I mean, when the Nazi's thinks his too evil, he should be in Cobra or something.
Or Hydra... that's basically their credo - "We're more evil then the nazis, and led by Agent Smith!"

Coller

Oct 4, 2010
If not for the threads all over the interwebs, I wouldn't have remembered it. There have been a lot more serious disasters in other countries that have been forgotten a lot faster. In other words, I'm so tired of hearing about it, i basically zone out when i do hear about it.

Alex Mac

Jul 5, 2011
If anything, this thread does plenty to reinforce my disdain for nationalistic views of any kind. Be they American neocon uber patriotism or any other, they tend to dehumanized things by placing the rest of the world into the nebulous "other category". People are people and to dismiss the impact of something like this (or indeed, any other major tragedy anywhere, recent or past) is somewhat callous.

That said: I agree with people who say move on, to an extent. When people say "Never Forget", I honestly want to tell them I wish I could forget, particularly in light of the wasteful and neglegent wars that followed it. Plenty of politicians used the tragedy exploitatively and many of the ways that people "remember" 9-11 feel equally excessive and jingoistic. It is distasteful.

But, truth be told, to completely dismiss and gloss over the event is probably unwise. My friend's father was one of the pilots and seeing how that affected her, I cannot really sit back and accept the idea that this is something to completely dismiss, slap a statistic on, and walk away from.

I think that applies to anything like this. War, terrorism, natural disasters. Maybe I'm just naive but I'd like to think it would be possible to treat all of these such things with an equal sense of regret and sympathy. Be it 9-11, the floods in Japan, third world troubles, Oslo, or anything.

/shrug. Sorry if that seems rambly. I just sort of wish that we could, no matter what stance we take on things, move away from the more insular national viewpoint to something a bit more all encompassing and global.

In all, I don't think we should be completely dismissive of 9-11 or any comparable tragedy but I think any remembrance should focus on the human element and nothing else. That's the important thing.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
My point is that normal intelligent people should not think like that and nobody I have ever met does.
Except they do. I guarantee you. If you've ever seen someone experience a personal tragedy, you would know this already. Someone's parent/sibling/significant other dying has a vastly more profound impact than a news report about the Rwandan genocide or Second Congo war.

It's perfectly natural, and it doesn't make anyone a bad person, but it doesn't change the fact that normal, rational and intelligent people simply do not truly feel tragedy that does not affect their monkey-sphere.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Cheshire the Cat said:
Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.
This. Yes it was horrible. Yes it was a tragedy. But must we obsess. This year is different as its a 10 year anniversary so I'll just grin and bear it but we as a nation seem to be becoming more and more obsessed about it as the years go on. Every year when this month rolls around its "9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11 9/11"

One remembers with more than just lip service. Life moves on, we should too. Never forget but do not obsess.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
The Australian media finds it b'awww-worthy, the Australian people do not.

I, personally, think that the attack was overrated since day 1, and they need to stop overreacting and get over themselves.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
It's some random tragedy that was done by a bunch of idiots, but it's overhyped by the retarded mass media and now it's the same as if the damn world ended.

Yes, many people died, but even bigger shit has been done in many other countries around the globe, but no other nation made a crusader against a whole religion because of few bunch of idiots.

My country was invaded by 2 other countries for 3 years, although the war was much longer, but it's not "official". My country lost 40%+ of it's citizens due that war, jet I don't see the shit like the USA does.
What the USA did to Afghanistan, Cuba, Libya, Iraq, "CCCP" Korea.... those are things that have much more tragedy in them than 9/11.

tl.dr. it's not even half as a big tragedy as the American media makes it. Shit happens, get over it.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Jonabob87 said:
Platypus540 said:
Jonabob87 said:
Platypus540 said:
ScourgeOfHell said:
Ok so im gonna go ahead and speak as a typical muslim "terrorist" or "vandal" or whatever cliche you've bestowed upon us these days. You know what I love about the US, their tendency to break rip a nations heart out for so much as scratching American national pride. The millions of civilians killed in America's 3 massive ***** fits are ofcourse totally ignored, oh no, what matters is that America's big Penis compensation was torn down, yeah that totally justifies 3 trillions dollars worth of war. People, get over it, its been a decade we get it, it was a bad thing to do, we pwomise never to do it again happy?
Jesus, man, calm down.

Americans in general don't think of Muslims that way. Only assholes/bigots do. And those exist in every country.

Also: Technically Al Qaeda started the war against them, and you can't seriously be defending the Taliban. I'm pretty sure RAMMING A FUCKING AIRLINER INTO A BUILDING IS AN ACT OF WAR. It's just as if some country launched a cruise missile into the WTC.
He's being a bit over the top, but the west started it. We've been almost literally raping their countries for centuries.
I meant specifically against Al Qaeda and the Taliban, which is what this thread was about. Yes, the late 80s early 90s Mideast was pretty messed up.
I think you've missed the point in the attack. Al Qaeda attacked the US, along with many other western countries, in return for the damages done to the middle east over the years. It wasn't about a personal attack on themselves, but on their land and their people.

Personally I hope I'd go freedom fighter myself if someone did to Scotland what has been done to the middle east. I doubt very much I'd go around killing innocent people, but that's a difference in viewpoint, emotion and standards.

We've gone over to their countries and killed their people hundreds of times, so a few of them see fit to do it right back to us. It wasn't even a religious thing.
I'll freely admit I also overreacted.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I like to measure atrocities in 9/11s. So, the Firebombing of Tokyo is over 30 9/11s, while the Holocaust is 3.6 Kilo9/11s.

So generally, my view is pretty cold. It was far away and didn't affect anyone I know, so I view it as just another atrocity; of which there is no shortage.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I imagine not as respected as wel US would like to hope and the way we promote it (and oh yes, we do certainly promote the hell out of it). Judging fromt he few threads ont he escpaists most countries seem to think we need to get over ourselves or stop trying to push it on to them (though why they think the US is doing that I dont know. Unless youre receiving US television stations or going to us sites that dont localize advertisements then its more your own government and tv stations pushing it on you then the US. and if youre viewing US stations, well, its not really directed at you so much as your just having to deal with it).

Right now the big tragedy to me is the <url=http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792>KHL plane that went down that is starting to show Russia still being/sinking back to third world country status (which isnt an insult or anything, just a general observation). But thats only cause Im big on Hockey.
That is where I am right now as well. I'm also a huge hockey fan. For me, that is my current tragedy focus. That tribute to the team made me tear up more than a 9/11 special will. And you're right, the status of planes and airlines in Russia is bad. Perhaps a remnant of Communism?

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I am American, but I look at many of the responses here that say "I don't care". I find that astonishing. Look at it this way. If you don't "care" about the people dying, look at it this way, it changed the world in several ways. It was also one of many types of attacks, such at the attacks in Russia, UK, Spain, etc. The big changes in airport security, new laws around protection of documents, anti-money laundering/terrorism and such items. So I think it's important in the way the world runs today.

I also wonder why does one tragedy have to outweigh another tragedy. I don't want to say this is bigger so, we don't care about your smaller tragedy.

Do I think the media coverage is over-done, very much so. But with 1000 channels, when isn't something over done by the media. 99% of the US citizens, aren't as up in arms every year about it, but the 10 year anniversery is important. So let us have our moment, we'll let you have yours. And history is there to remember...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kathinka said:
and above all, the japanese don't get high and mighty and pretend that they did nothing to provoke this. (not saying they deserved to be bombed. you get what i mean)
So the fact that civilians were killed, more died from cancer and radiation damage and several for the next 100000 years will have increased birth defects is not a tragedy because of Pearl Harbor?

It's still a tragedy even though Americans don't care. The fact that there have been killed more than 20 times more civlians in the Iraq war than died in the September 11 attacks is a tragedy and honestly, I think that takes away their right to mope about it 10 years later.