How is 9/11 viewed internationally?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I moved on from it and think it,s tasteless they re-air footage from the collapsing towers every year just to get some ratings.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I dunno about the rest of my country, although with the amount of memorial statuses I guess it some how matters to them.

To me it's just another day, so a lot of people died x amount of years ago, if the media is to believed more people die every day in the third world than those two towers but nobody gives a flying fuck about that.

I might come off as a cold hearted dick but I am just saying if were only going to care or give memorials about people in the first world, your the dicks. In the age where were all meant to be equal, how come people in the third world are much less equal than the "first" world?

Do I wish a load of people never died in them towers? Of course! Did it effect me in anyway? No .. to be honest it was 2 weeks after it happened that I knew about it.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
ScourgeOfHell said:
Ok so im gonna go ahead and speak as a typical muslim "terrorist" or "vandal" or whatever cliche you've bestowed upon us these days. You know what I love about the US, their tendency to break rip a nations heart out for so much as scratching American national pride. The millions of civilians killed in America's 3 massive ***** fits are ofcourse totally ignored, oh no, what matters is that America's big Penis compensation was torn down, yeah that totally justifies 3 trillions dollars worth of war. People, get over it, its been a decade we get it, it was a bad thing to do, we pwomise never to do it again happy?
Jesus, man, calm down.

Americans in general don't think of Muslims that way. Only assholes/bigots do. And those exist in every country.

Also: Technically Al Qaeda started the war against them, and you can't seriously be defending the Taliban. I'm pretty sure RAMMING A FUCKING AIRLINER INTO A BUILDING IS AN ACT OF WAR. It's just as if some country launched a cruise missile into the WTC.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Other than how interconnected the world is these days, and the tragic loss of life (even innocent children - some unborn) it also shows what pure hatred can make people do. It doesn't matter if it happened to the US, the UK, or any other country. The point is it happened for such a poor reason. It wasn't a military target, it designed to cause fear and pain. That should speak to any good natured human being regardless even if you're one of those small people who don't care at ALL when someone dies in such a way just because you didn't know them.

I pause a moment and do feel it on some level every time I hear about things like this to people all around the world. Countries, religion, politics aside we're brothers and sisters all the same. To say you don't care at all means to me you're a heartless fool. I'm not expecting tears or a moment a silence but you should acknowledge the lives get wasted in a blaze of hatred.

I typically avoid international discussion because idiots with no first hand experience about a country will loudly run their mouth about what's wrong with it or what they do wrong or why they are horrible, but you're a monster if you don't care at all when things like this happen.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Platypus540 said:
ScourgeOfHell said:
Ok so im gonna go ahead and speak as a typical muslim "terrorist" or "vandal" or whatever cliche you've bestowed upon us these days. You know what I love about the US, their tendency to break rip a nations heart out for so much as scratching American national pride. The millions of civilians killed in America's 3 massive ***** fits are ofcourse totally ignored, oh no, what matters is that America's big Penis compensation was torn down, yeah that totally justifies 3 trillions dollars worth of war. People, get over it, its been a decade we get it, it was a bad thing to do, we pwomise never to do it again happy?
Jesus, man, calm down.

Americans in general don't think of Muslims that way. Only assholes/bigots do. And those exist in every country.

Also: Technically Al Qaeda started the war against them, and you can't seriously be defending the Taliban. I'm pretty sure RAMMING A FUCKING AIRLINER INTO A BUILDING IS AN ACT OF WAR. It's just as if some country launched a cruise missile into the WTC.
He's being a bit over the top, but the west started it. We've been almost literally raping their countries for centuries.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Cheshire the Cat said:
NZ. Not cared about in the slightest. In fact[footnote]Though to be fair this is just from people I have spoken to about it.[/footnote] people find it distasteful that americans still go on and on about it like it was such a big thing. And the whole "They attacked us!" is disgusting.

Simple fact is this, unless you actually lost a family member in the attack then you really need to stfu about it and stop acting as if it had anything to do with you.

Oh and internationally its viewed 11/9. <.<
Is it so wrong to have sympathy for the plights of others? If you think it is, I feel very sorry for you.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
personally im indifferent (im an american) its terrible that it happened, but as to the people saying "get the fuck over it" "unless you had family and friends involved, then it shouldnt matter or whatever" thats like saying the only people who should be affected by the olso shooting is the parents of the kids involved

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
Jonabob87 said:
Platypus540 said:
ScourgeOfHell said:
Jesus, man, calm down.

He's being a bit over the top, but the west started it. We've been almost literally raping their countries for centuries.
I meant specifically against Al Qaeda and the Taliban, which is what this thread was about. Yes, the late 80s early 90s Mideast was pretty messed up.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Hear me out here, because I'm going to try my best to sound as non-offensive as possible here.

*ahem*

The 9/11 attacks were a devastating loss to us Americans, and I sympathize deeply with anyone who lost a family member there. However, I can safely assume that most people outside of America are fairly indifferent on the subject. This is what I'm assuming, and if someone outside the US wants to correct me on this, then go ahead, because I am fully accepting any criticism of my interpretation of outside reactions to the event.

But, personally speaking, things like the Oslo attacks and other great massacres outside of the US were shocking to me but, tbh, they didn't really leave as much an impact as 9/11. I honestly think this has more to do with the fact that, since it was outside of our country, the people can't relate to it as well as they could if it was in, say, their own country.

So, quite honestly speaking, they're probably indifferent on it. If someone wants to correct me on this, go ahead, but that's just my thoughts on it. My condolences to anyone who lost someone on 9/11, because it really was a tragic event.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Platypus540 said:
Jonabob87 said:
Platypus540 said:
ScourgeOfHell said:
Jesus, man, calm down.

I meant specifically against Al Qaeda and the Taliban, which is what this thread was about. Yes, the late 80s early 90s Mideast was pretty messed up.
I think you've missed the point in the attack. Al Qaeda attacked the US, along with many other western countries, in return for the damages done to the middle east over the years. It wasn't about a personal attack on themselves, but on their land and their people.

Personally I hope I'd go freedom fighter myself if someone did to Scotland what has been done to the middle east. I doubt very much I'd go around killing innocent people, but that's a difference in viewpoint, emotion and standards.

We've gone over to their countries and killed their people hundreds of times, so a few of them see fit to do it right back to us. It wasn't even a religious thing.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Today here in Texas, my Facebook page is littered with memorial copy pastas, American iconography, and a bit of anti-foreign stigma. Ugh...

Honestly, the whole thing is a balance imo. Yes, it's wasn't the worst thing in the world, and people really need to move on, but responiding to the death of thousands with complete apathy is disrespectful. If we were perfect people, we'd pay respect to all the world's tragedies in our lifetime, but since we're not, we could at least pay respect to the ones the media incessantly reminds us of.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
<link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.312190-Not-your-usual-9-11-thread?page=1>This thread is relevant to this thread.

I don't give a shit about 9/11, I hate how it gets more media attention than any other horrible event that happens in the world.
Few hundred thousand people firebombed? It happened during a war, so nbd.
Hundreds of thousands of people killed by a tsunami and the survivors left without homes and food for a long while? Its in Asia, so nbd.
But a few thousand people killed by a plane slamming into a building? IT HAPPENED ON AMERICAN SOIL, OH MY FUCKING GOD.

If I lived in the states when it happened, I guess I could understand it being a big deal.
But I live in Alberta Canada, and all media around me is completely fucking saturated by it.
Every major paper in my city has done a week-long special about it! WHAT THE FUCK!

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
lRookiel said:
Im English and since all americans who ive met have been absolute assholes to me for being English (so basically for no good reason at all) I look at the footage of ppl jumping out windows and giggle.
....dude....

That's like saying "There's an Asian guy in my class who's a dick, so I enjoy watching footage of Hiroshima. lol"

Have fun being racist and detatched, I guess.

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
From what I've seen in New Zealand most people aren't terribly bothered by it. We roll our eyes at slightly melodramtic Americans but we understand why you are upset.
Also anyone who uses Hiroshima as a example against America should remember two things, one, that Hiroshima was done during open war, and Two, Nanking. The Japanese don't even acknowledge that and one day the Chinese who are twitchy enough as it is, are going to use it against them.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Glass Joe the Champ said:
lRookiel said:
Im English and since all americans who ive met have been absolute assholes to me for being English (so basically for no good reason at all) I look at the footage of ppl jumping out windows and giggle.
....dude....

That's like saying "There's an Asian guy in my class who's a dick, so I enjoy watching footage of Hiroshima. lol"

Have fun being racist and detatched, I guess.
Sorry, but America is not a race.

I Just wanted to point that out to you.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, I remember it. But mainly because it was incredibly difficult to avoid.

Now, not to sound callous, but it's pretty difficult to forget something that was considered so news-worthy that all 5 TV stations dumped their entire regular schedules for a week, to show nothing but 24/7 news coverage of it.

And I mean, that's 5 channels showing the EXACT SAME coverage of it... >_<
That got really tedious quite quickly.

On a less callous sounding note, it was definitely a big shock, and I never would have expected to see anything like it.

Unfortunately, as big a tragedy as it was, it's difficult (from an international perspective) not to feel how the reaction to it just seemed out of all proportion just because it happened in America.

Disasters of that scale, and atrocities far worse are far more common than you might think. And they typically barely get a mention at all on the news. (mainly because they usually happen in 3rd world countries.)

So, yeah. Unforgettable, and most certainly a tragedy of unimaginable scale. But having never even so much as visited America, it's difficult to feel any more connected to it than any other major disaster I've ever seen on the news.

May 29, 2011
Well I live in finland, and no one really gives a crap. People died, whoopdy fucking doo. People died yesterday as well. And in the last 20 seconds.

Yes it's horrible but it's also normal.

Well publisisiced death is no different from regular death, and the fact that there's still a fucking holiday for it is just bizarre considering the amount of lifes lost every day in the war on terror. Giant fucking double standard if you ask me.

That's more of a personal opinion really. Were not really big on discussing events in my family or social group. In fact I can't really remember anyone ever bringing it up.