How many discs has your xbox 360 ruined?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
arc1991 said:
Johnnyallstar said:
Zero. Mine made a funny sound while vertical, and since I laid it flat it's been fine.
I think that's the problem many people have, and as soon as a disk breaks it's Microsofts fault :p

(For flamers, i said MANY not all >.>)
Well, lets be perfectly honest here. Looking at the nature of the drive, it has nothing to really stabilize the disk across a vertical plane. Horizontal is much easier on the disk.

In fact, my biggest issue is that my drive is getting gummed shut. But I just manipulate it open, blow it out with air and good to go for a while.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Johnnyallstar said:
my biggest issue is that my drive is getting gummed shut. But I just manipulate it open, blow it out with air and good to go for a while.
i tend to hit the top, seems to work :)

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Only one and it was my fault, I had it standing up and I heard that it overheats slower if you lay it down so I went to lie it down while it was on and had Halo 3 in it that was probably one of the dumbest things I've ever done. None of my X-boxes (yes I'm on my third one go ahead and laugh it up, PS3 fans, this one is working great though, knock on wood) have ruined discs without my intervention though, knock on wood.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Ah one of these threads.....again.

GrimHeaper said:
I want to know, because whoever thought of it should be slapped.
It just ate my sega CD collection, mainly becuase I wasn't expecting it to start playing the disc as soon as I put it in.
None. Because I lay my 360 horizontally like it should be, and I don't move the thing ever if it is on and/or has a disc in it.

In the future, use the forum search bar, threads about this subject have been done to death.

Fidelias said:
My xbox hasn't ruined any of my discs, and I've had it since they first released the 360.

But I do always make sure to take out my disc quickly whenever my xbox starts acting funny.
Don't worry even if the thing is acting "funny". They can only "eat" discs if the console is moved while a disc is inside being read and even if it is not being read.

--------------------------------------------

I find the frequency of these threads disturbing. There is this one, and there was one last month and there was one the month before that.

It's amazing how many people can't keep their 360s in a stable unmovable position.

Tips:

1.) Your 360 must always be in a horizontal position. If for some life-ending reason that you must have it vertical, find a way for it to be nail down so it can't move period. Well, since this isn't possible, always keep your 360 in a horizontal position.

2.) When changing discs, treat it like it is a skittish little woodland animal that is in a paralyzed shock and could possibly die if you touch it too hard. If you feel you can't do this. Use your controller to shut off the console, let it sit for a second, then open the tray and put the new disc in.

3.) Do not treat your 360 like a maraca if there is a disc inside, well even if it has a disc inside. =P

4.) If you feel you can't touch your 360 while it is own without moving it, turn if off with the controller, and for get about gaming. Do not even by another gaming system or try to play PC games. If you can't not handle a 360 properly, anything else will probably explode. Take up a new hobby like knitting. But wait, that has sharp objects. Okay, just sit still and never move again. =P

Edit to not create multiple posts:
felix1942 said:
my old xbox360 destroyed like 4 my new one has not yet the reason for old one first time because it didn't I know about the disc ring thingy and it tilted and I was sad and I lost my cod3(favorite of the series so far) :< and the rest were just random like one example my neighbors had a party and i live in a duplex and i was playing halo 3 and all of sudden CRACAFHSH and disc got a ring and so on random stuff like that
I've got something wonderful to tell you. It is about this amazing new thing in writing called punctuation. With a simple ".", you can separate what you are talking about into sections so it is understandable to people. It is one of the greatest things to happen to writing; it is as good as the newfangled thing called "capitalization of the beginning of each sentence".

It is hard to read what you wrote, because it is hard to tell where each thought starts and ends in some spots, not to mention that the grammar is atrocious and there are obviously words missing.

That is all. This has been my grammar PSA for the month.

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
All of them. I hate my 360.

EDIT: Well, my 360 didn't kill all of them, only 5 were killed (Splinter Cell: Conviction, R.U.S.E., My first copy of MW2, Bioshock 2, Saint's Row.), everything else were scratched beyond recognition.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
ButterFunky said:
Do you have a habit of throwing your 360 around when it is playing a disc?

It is impossible for it to eat discs if you don't move it.

Though I have to ask, do you keep it vertical or horizontal? Because, I find that there are good deal of people that have it vertical and claim that they don't move it when a disc get ruined.

There is a solution, since the machine was designed to lay horizontally(because if you sit it vertical it covers up the main cooling/venting port), lay it horizontally. The only way it can eat a disc that way is if it is moved.

Edit: Besides, the disc tray wasn't designed for vertical use anyway, that is obvious.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Nope, not a one. Personally unless you live in a frat house or in the middle of a stampede then I could see it giving problems, but if you treat the things with a modicum of care (like a console should be treated) then you'll have many a happy gaming experience.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
none, but I was close to losing one, my original 360 had a disk reading problem that would've eventually started burning lines into disks (I've since upgraded to the slim, and have had zero problems with it)

unless you abuse your 360 or there's some accident, it's really all about being careful. If you have an old 360, make sure you're aware of the warning signs of any problems so you can get it repaired before it decides to start eating disks

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
ButterFunky said:
Lots of words.
I only throw my 360s around when it is broken, and yes, I have the cash to replace them.

And to answer your question, yes. Yes I keep it horizontal. I kept it vertical once and it succeeded in breaking a copy of MW2. Another broke because the movers were clumsy, and it was inside the 360. One game, and a 360, broke because I saw rats living inside it, and I hit it with a hammer.

In short, I have terrible luck.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
Once, Right when I got it I didn't have it in such a good lcoation. So it ruined my fable 2, Beacuse my mother has an EXTREMLY over weight cat who layed on the xbox and moved it around, Since then I placed it in a safe location and its been perfect.

And I got my fable 2 repaired for only 3 bucks.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
My xbox hasn't ruined any, because i knew what happens when you move an xbox while the disk is running

Blastinburn

Apr 13, 2011
My Xbox360 ruined my Sonic and Sega Racing disc, but it was entirely my fault. I moved the 360 while the game was in it and turned on, stupid I know.