How much of an age gap is too much?

the_abhorsen

Mar 15, 2009
PureChaos said:
Where I work I deal with divorces and there are a lot of couples where the age gap is pretty large, the highest i've dealt with is an gap of 23 years and have heard of other cases where the gap it 25 years, sometimes more. I'm 24 so that would mean me ending up marrying someone who isn't even born yet. at the moment, for me, 3 or 4 years is OK but not much more than that.

what do you think? is there a point where it gets a bit creepy, like 19 year olds marrying people 50+ or is age unimportant when it comes to relationships?
Simple formula for these things. lower limit= half your age plus seven. Upper limit double your age plus seven.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Easy...if the younger one is not yet of legal age and the other is, the gap is too large...everything else is OK...

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Since no one else has posted this yet:
So yeah, pretty much what everyone else is saying.

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
Meh if the spark of love is strong in the two i see no issue with any age gap. I know im going to get hatted on for saying this but what ever. I think the 2 year law is retarded I think once someone is 12 they know what they want hell people are different. I used to babysit for a 6 year old girl and she was 10X more mature then most of the 21 year olds i know so I think the whole thing is crap. As I like to say if it was fine with the founding fathers its fine with me...

Nightmist

Nov 11, 2009
I'm 27 and my wife is 39. We've been together for 5 years and married for 3 and doing great.
I've often thought about our age difference, but if I ended the relationship because of that it would be something I'd regret for the rest of my life, as I'm desperately happy with her.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Only problem is when you date older, and your parents date younger. I once dated a girl who was older than my step-mum (who's only 10 years older than I am). Was pretty awkward.

That older woman is a hard find: someone who is stunning looking (they have to be), commitment free, and likes younger men, but when you find one... damn. That's a good thing right there. My ex who I just spoke about was a redhead, perfect skin, great figure... damn it was good! Only problem was looking through her photos of her being smoking hot in night clubs the year I was born. That was an odd moment.

I normally date younger, but not significantly. I'm in my mid twenties, and my (different) ex girlfriend's little sister (who is stunning) was hitting on me the other day. She is 19. It was awkward, as I remember her when she was 11 years old.

Darkin20

May 27, 2009
Eponet said:
Half your age + 7 seems to be the accepted lower age band where I am.

If you're younger, just apply it to the other person.
I agree. This is usually the acceptable number.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Depends on the maturity. I'm okay with dating somebody that is between 15-18. Don't know why, but anything else feel kinds of weird. But I'm sure the range will expand as I grow older.

Wait... I've adopted the xkcd method subconsciously! I didn't even think of it when I came with those numbers.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
Eponet said:
Half your age + 7 seems to be the accepted lower age band where I am.

If you're younger, just apply it to the other person.
Yeah, there's a formula. I'm 24, so my accepted non-creepy age range is 19-34. (24/2=12, 12+7=19) (34/2=17, 17+7=24).

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
how do you know you need to get away from the internet? When, at first glace, you thought the title of this thread was "How much of an anal gap is too much?"

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
For me it's about 6 years, music tastes are too radically different after a 6 year period. The quality of music she listens to is very important to me (personally I pretty much listen to music 24/7)

KindOfnElf

Mar 15, 2010
I don't think it matters. My father is 10 years older than my mother and they are fine after 30 and something years of being together. I've seen worse marriages with less age difference.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Merkavar said:
It depends on whether the older person is male or female.
Older men can have as large an age gap as they'd like, while if the female is three years older or more it's gross.
Chauvinism at it's finest, ladies and gentlemen.

I suppose it really doesn't matter when you're older.

Sometimes in high school it doesn't even matter, since freshman can be 13/14 and seniors can be 17/18.

It happens all of the time.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
40 and 30 - Sure, why not?
30 and 20 - OK, I guess, kinda
20 and 10 - Somebody call the police!!!