How Much SHOULD a Game Cost?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
30? for the game, another 10? to enable multiplayer/dlc
20-35? for handhelds.
and please start converting $ to ? anywhere near the actual vaule, not 1 to 1

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
It matters on the content of the game, which platform it's on, is it downloadable, retail, budget game, etc

I'd like most games to be brought down in price but thats not going to happen.
I'd like it even more i you could buy parts of a game, all I want is the multiplayer or single player but that's really not going to happen.

Like plants vs zombie's is I think 2.00 bucks or less on Iphone, 15.00 bucks on xbox 360, and 5.00 bucks on DS

But 40 might be a great price for console games

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Merkavar said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Thats almost like an Activision thought right there /suprised face.
game companies arent our friends. they are a company and their main goal is profits. i wonder if game prices will end up being like console prices. for example a new release costing 200 and after 2 months drops abit in price and keeps dropping till sales try up. price skimming FTW

Alex Fornino said:
Downloads definitely shouldn't be $50 or more. There isn't even a disc and case, so there's no excuse not to have the price at $40 or less.
i think they have lots of excuses. the main one being they match or slightly undercut retail versions so they max their profits.
I already knew that factor and thats why i was saying £500 as an actual parody.
im a little confused with you saying $50 and 500 pounds or what ever.

But what i was saying is that a retail new release seems to be $50-60. And i was saying that downloads are going to match or slightly beat this price. so i think were actually agreeing with each other.

retrofish18

Jan 23, 2011
45 to 50 dollars for console game, 30 to 40 dollars for a handheld game and what ever they want for a downloadable title.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Actually, I think the price is just fine right now. Most quality DS titles are $35 new, PSP titles are about $40-$45 new, and PS3/360 titles just have so much content. It's a great price considering that these are discs and not cartridges, which could reach $80 for certain games on the N64.

Yeah, I wish the price would go down a smidge, $5-$10 would be really nice, but I think it should depend more on the individual game instead of generalizing. Chrono Trigger should never be the same price as Imagine: Babyz.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Merkavar said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Merkavar said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Thats almost like an Activision thought right there /suprised face.
game companies arent our friends. they are a company and their main goal is profits. i wonder if game prices will end up being like console prices. for example a new release costing 200 and after 2 months drops abit in price and keeps dropping till sales try up. price skimming FTW

Alex Fornino said:
Downloads definitely shouldn't be $50 or more. There isn't even a disc and case, so there's no excuse not to have the price at $40 or less.
i think they have lots of excuses. the main one being they match or slightly undercut retail versions so they max their profits.
I already knew that factor and thats why i was saying £500 as an actual parody.
im a little confused with you saying $50 and 500 pounds or what ever.

But what i was saying is that a retail new release seems to be $50-60. And i was saying that downloads are going to match or slightly beat this price. so i think were actually agreeing with each other.
In short yes downloads will always be the better option.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
From an industry perspective the price is fine. As a gamer of course you are going to want a lower price.

Clyde64

Feb 23, 2011
$60 for a new one in Australia. Why do I have to pay $100 when Americans get it for $60?

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
$30 dollars. The developers of the game get about $27, and besides, cheaper games means more people are willing to buy more.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
In AUS? The highest possible should be $60, for standard editions. Collector's editions and pre-orders are another matter entirely, though.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
(Cost of development + cost of licensing + distribution deals and advertising fees + manufacturing costs) * (1 + profit margin of publisher) * (1 + profit margin of retailer)

Nov 12, 2010
Whatever the marketers choose.If their sales fall from over priced stuff then it is their own fault.That is why the market works well.It prevents monopolized price nazis.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I would prefer it stay a $50 (US), that being said, I could understand developers raising the price as the price to make games also rises.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Radeonx said:
They should stay $60.
Because they've been $50-60 since they started coming out, and changing it just because the part of the fanbase that doesn't recognize this complains is stupid.
they were $50 for the previous gen of consoles. i felt that was fair, especially considering the hard materials required to package the game, i figured it wasn't too bad. then the price went up to $60 for the new generation of consoles. initially that's okay, because it's new technology, but now that this generation has been around for 6 years with not exactly incredible graphics updates (yes they look prettier now than they did, but really? to that great of an extent?). it's time for a price drop back to $50 at this point

especially since PC games, which consistently run at a higher level of visual quality, customizability, and control, only rarely break $50 new.

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
rockingnic said:
Enough.

Enough to pay the people to make the game and enough not to make us broke.
Something like this, enough to pay for the game with a little bit of profit but not so expensive like it is today. Also, Australians have to pay much more for games ($40-$50) even though the US and Australian currencies are reaching parity very regularly now.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I find current gaming pricing to be more than fair for how much entertainment they provide compared to things like movies or a night out. Gaming is one of the best values for your dollar.

The only exception to this are MMO's that have pay for month fees. They simply do not offer enough benefits to warrant the ongoing costs of a game. These games should either be free, or cost the same as normal games but instead come with 4 months free to at least somewhat justify the purchase.

Sep 13, 2009
RAMBO22 said:
around $50 for a video game.

About $40 for a PC game.

$30 for a hand held game.

Video game's are probably the most expensive to market, distribute, and produce, so I think right around $50 is a fair price.

PC games should be a bit less as they most likely cost slightly less to produce (I would assume something created on a PC for a PC wouldn't be as expensive as the 'console process').

Hand Held games aren't as thorough as full-fledged PC or Video Games, so they should consequently cost less.
I agree fully on this. $50 for a game is by no means unreasonable (unless you happen to be in debt like I am and haven't bought a game in the past 8 months). Game cost a lot to be made and the more money that the companies get the more that will go into the game. I could shell out a couple extra bucks if that means the games will improve because of it.